How to Make Almond Milk

Making your own almond milk is surprisingly easy.

almond-milk-recipe

A delicious and nutritious alternative to dairy milk, this almond milk is light and creamy, but is free of lactose or casein–> both of which can cause digestive issues.

Did you know up to 75% of the world’s population is lactose-intolerant? Another good reason to try this almond milk.

If you’ve tried store-bought almond milk, don’t be surprised if you like this homemade version much, much more. Homemade almond milk is free of fillers and preservatives, and provides a sweet, subtle almond flavor. In fact, most people who try homemade almond milk can never go back to the store-bought varieties again!

An added bonus? It’s cheap and easy to make!

Homemade Almond Milk
makes 4 cups

1 cup almonds, soaked in water for 4-6 hours and rinsed well
4 cups filtered water
nut milk bag, or cheese cloth for straining

Combine the drained almonds and 4 cups of filtered water in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.

Note: Soaking the almonds beforehand removes the enzyme inhibitors naturally contained in their skins. These enzyme inhibitors may cause digestive discomfort if consumed, which is why I recommend soaking the almonds first, then draining and rinsing well. You don’t want to use the soaking water in this recipe, as it will contain those toxins you just removed!

This takes about a minute in the Vitamix, but may take longer in a standard blender.

Once thoroughly blended, pour the mixture through a mesh nut milk bag, positioned over a large bowl.

Close the bag at the top, then squeeze, squeeze, squeeze!!!!!!

You’ll want to squeeze out every last drop! Discard the remaining almond pulp, or save it for another use! (See recipe ideas below)

Transfer the strained milk into a sealed container, and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.

*Note: Feel free to substitute any other nuts or seeds, to create a variety of dairy-free milks! Brazil nuts and Hazelnuts don’t need to be soaked before blending, as they do not contain enzyme inhibitors like other nuts.

**For an extra-special treat: Try adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to the mixture before blending. The resulting almond milk is extra-creamy, sweet, and irresistible!

Homemade Almond Milk
Serves: 4 cups

A creamy alternative to dairy milk, which can be ready in less than 10 minutes!
  • 1 cup almonds, soaked 4-6 hours and rinsed well
  • 4 cups filtered water
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute in a high-powered blender.
  2. Strain the "milk" through a nut-milk bag or cheese cloth, squeezing well to extract the extra liquid. You can save the remaining almond pulp for another recipe, or discard.
  3. Store in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days.
Notes
For an extra-special treat, try adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to the mixture before blending. The resulting almond milk is extra-creamy, sweet, and irresistible!

Need ideas for your leftover almond pulp?

Try making one of these sweet treats:

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Carolina says

I tried this recipe and I really really wanted to like it but I’m prob in the minority here, maybe it’s something I’m doing wrong?… I did use a milk bag, just a regular very thin strainer, and I used spring water rather than filtered… would that have made the difference?… I find it to taste very thing, and just like almond flavored water… should I use less water next time? or maybe Im’ just not an almond milk girl and I have to accept that? lol

2. Linda says

I love your blog. I have a question. Could a juicer be used instead of the blender? I have to pass on some of your great recipes because they call for eggs or regular cheese. I can sub on the eggs, but not the cheese. Do you have any subs for the specialty cheese?

• Megan says

I know you can use a juicer to make almond butter, but I’m not sure how it would work for mixing the water with the almonds to make almond milk. Let us know if you come up with something! In regards to cheese, in many recipes it can be omitted without affecting the results too much– it just depends on the particular recipe you have in mind.

3. Esther says

Can you make almond milk and almond butter with sliced or slivered almonds? If so should they still be soaked to get the skins loose?

• Megan says

I think slivered almonds would work in both cases, but don’t soak almonds before making almond butter– any extra moisture will affect the result.

4. fanny says

Hi. My question may be stupid but I would like to know about the calories in almond milk that you make at home… is it different from processed almond milk?

5. Kris says

I dry the left over almond meal in the oven and use it as almond flour. I hadn’t thought to put it in my Ninja blender to blend it to a fine flour. I will try this next time.

6. hiranyakasibu says

I have a question. almond milk that is home made is quite high in fat. around 71 grams of fat in milk made from a cup of almonds. So how does it help one’s health? how much is recommended per day? how can one hope to lose weight by having this almond milk? thanks.

also would like to know the calorie value of the recipes mentioned here like the bars and cakes made from almonds and cashews as milk substitutes. these also seem to be quite high in fat.

• says

Hi I will tell you what my dietitian told me. Nuts have good fat unlike meat. She uses Almond milk for her kids and family. There is high cholestrol in her family and she has not had any problems with her labs. She is 40.

7. hiranyakasibu says

ok the calories in almond milk I got from your previous question and answer.

the use of coconut oil how healthy is it? 100gm of coconut oil has 440 percent of saturated fat requirement for the day for an adult. is it healthy ?

8. April says

I’m making my own almond milk for the first time. It’s been soaking since yesterday afternoon. I removed the skins from the nuts because they were loose. So, I shouldn’t have to strain them or use a “nut bag,” right?

• Megan says

There will still be pulp from the ground almonds in your milk, so I would strain that through a nut milk bag for a smooth result. But, you don’t have to if you don’t mind the pulp texture!

9. Laura says

Just wanted you to know that I appreciate you so much. You have taken so much fear and effort out of cleaner eating. I the family loves the almond milk so much that I make way more than we ever bought pre-made.

10. MAC says

So how much would we have to make to have a cup of almond milk everyday for a week? If 1 cup of almonds with 4 cups water= 4 cups of milk would we need to buy 2 cups of almonds? Would this be expensive? Should we store it in a gallon sized jug afterwards and pour upon use?

11. says

Megan:

After a six month consideration I’ve finally found a courage to make an almond milk and results are fantastic! After soaking I peeled skins of each nut as somebody suggested and it was a smart move – it was a wasteless production. Used the pulp immediately for my breakfast – it’s like a cottage cheese, added some honey and frozen raspberries. I use almond milk for a making my morning latte, and today’s foam was especially rich and foamy! I blended milk with coconut oil and vanilla – it’s a nirvana:)!

Thanks a lot!

Len

12. says

HI there!

I was wondering if its possible to make batches of almond milk ahead of time freeze them. I just read an article on Wellness Mama about the dangers of carrageenan, which is in both kinds of the store-bought almond milk I drink!

• Megan says

I’ve never tried freezing almond milk, but it’s worth a shot! Please let us know how it goes for you.

• Anna says

I freeze mine all the time. I use plastic containers of the specific portion I use for my cappuccino, so every morning I have fresh milk!!!

13. Marie susini says

You CAN also add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, three softened dates and a pinch of salt. And for the lovers, two pinches on cinnamon (I use cardamom).

This is incredibly good’. You should try it

14. Siiri says

Hi! This is important, if I use normal water instead of filtered, since I can’t have it (those machines here in Finland cost so much!) can i still keep it refridgerated for that 5 days without it going bad?

Thanks if you answer!

15. Ashley says

Looks good. I make my own coconut milk all the time. I’ll have try it. Random queston. Where did you get your jar and lid?

16. amy says

So glad I found your site (someone pinned this recipe of yours above and I followed it here). I’ve been wanting to try homemade almond milk for awhile and you made me feel confident about it. I was also elated to see the almond meal recipes, which were the other main reason I didn’t try it earlier (I went through a lengthy juicing phase a d eventually gave it up after growing increasingly uncomfortable about the waste).

ANYWAY I digress. Out of curiosity I decided did not to strain the almond milk on my first try, and with the nut meal included, it makes my hubby’s morning vegan shake even heartier and thicker and more filling. LOVE. Thanks, I’ve been clicking all over your site since, looking forward to learning more. You are very knowledgeable.

17. CarolLynn says

I just made my first batch of almond milk and it I so yummy. Can the pulp be frozen? Also how long do I dehydrate it for? thank you

18. Mary Beth says

I have just gotten into this idea of almond milk. I understand why you would soak the almonds to remove the enzymes but why don’t you have to soak the almonds for almond butter to remove the enzymes? Thanks!

• Megan Gilmore says

In theory, you’d soak the almonds before making almond butter, too. But, then you’d have to dry the almonds really, really well before grinding them into butter, because any added moisture can ruin the results. I don’t have the time or patience for that, so it doesn’t happen too often in my house, even if it would be slightly easier to digest.

19. chanel says

Thanks so much for this. I have 2 yr old twins who are dairy and soy intolerant and drink almond milk. At $3.55 a litre here in Australia and having a litre a day is so expensive. Hopefully his will work out much cheaper…just need to source a a nut bag and container. I have a Bellini similar to a Thermomix so hoping it will work in that.

20. Siew says

thanks for the recipe.. Really awesome dessert that my whole family has been craving for..
    Just one question , why my almond milk is lumpy instead of a smooth consistency ?

• Megan Gilmore says

Did you strain out the pulp? The only thing that should be left is the liquid milk, which is smooth.

Trackbacks