How to Make Almond Milk

Making your own almond milk is surprisingly easy.

almond-milk-recipe

A delicious and nutritious alternative to dairy milk, this almond milk is light and creamy, but is free of lactose or casein–> both of which can cause digestive issues.

Did you know up to 75% of the world’s population is lactose-intolerant? Another good reason to try this almond milk.

If you’ve tried store-bought almond milk, don’t be surprised if you like this homemade version much, much more. Homemade almond milk is free of fillers and preservatives, and provides a sweet, subtle almond flavor. In fact, most people who try homemade almond milk can never go back to the store-bought varieties again!

An added bonus? It’s cheap and easy to make!

Homemade Almond Milk
makes 4 cups

1 cup almonds, soaked in water for 4-6 hours and rinsed well
4 cups filtered water
nut milk bag, or cheese cloth for straining

Combine the drained almonds and 4 cups of filtered water in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.

Note: Soaking the almonds beforehand removes the enzyme inhibitors naturally contained in their skins. These enzyme inhibitors may cause digestive discomfort if consumed, which is why I recommend soaking the almonds first, then draining and rinsing well. You don’t want to use the soaking water in this recipe, as it will contain those toxins you just removed!

This takes about a minute in the Vitamix, but may take longer in a standard blender.

Once thoroughly blended, pour the mixture through a mesh nut milk bag, positioned over a large bowl.

Close the bag at the top, then squeeze, squeeze, squeeze!!!!!!

You’ll want to squeeze out every last drop! Discard the remaining almond pulp, or save it for another use! (See recipe ideas below)

Transfer the strained milk into a sealed container, and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.

*Note: Feel free to substitute any other nuts or seeds, to create a variety of dairy-free milks! Brazil nuts and Hazelnuts don’t need to be soaked before blending, as they do not contain enzyme inhibitors like other nuts.

**For an extra-special treat: Try adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to the mixture before blending. The resulting almond milk is extra-creamy, sweet, and irresistible!

Homemade Almond Milk
Serves: 4 cups

A creamy alternative to dairy milk, which can be ready in less than 10 minutes!
  • 1 cup almonds, soaked 4-6 hours and rinsed well
  • 4 cups filtered water
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute in a high-powered blender.
  2. Strain the "milk" through a nut-milk bag or cheese cloth, squeezing well to extract the extra liquid. You can save the remaining almond pulp for another recipe, or discard.
  3. Store in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days.
Notes
For an extra-special treat, try adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to the mixture before blending. The resulting almond milk is extra-creamy, sweet, and irresistible!

Need ideas for your leftover almond pulp?

Try making one of these sweet treats:

Enjoy!

Comments

• Erin says

You don’t need a fancy nut milk bag! Go to your local hardware store and get paint strainer bags. I got a pack of two 1-gallon paint strainer bags at Home Depot for $2.28. They are 100% nylon (like the nut milk bags) and all you have to do is thoroughly wash them with soap and water, let them dry and voila! A much cheaper nut/veggie milk bag!

• Megan Gilmore says

The bag removes the pulp– there is about a cup’s worth of grainy almond pulp removed from the milk, which greatly improves the texture.

• Melanie says

I have a PowerGrind Pro juicer and it makes nut milks! I have made the almond milk and it is sooo easy and delicious! I did strain mine through a regular fine sieve to get the excess pulp, but there wasn’t much left!

1. says

I never even thought to make my own… I would definitely have assumed it to be much much work. Thanks for showing me otherwise! Looks delish!

2. Red says

Yes, almond milk bought from a store pales in comparison to homemade almond milk! I personally use 1/2 cup almonds soaked overnight, 5 cups water, 3-4 dates and half a vanilla bean (seeds only) and run it through my vitamix. Also, this may sound like a pain in the butt, but next time after the almonds are done soaking, pop them out of their skin (it is really easy). You will have the creamiest best tasting almond milk ever! (All run through a nut milk bag obviously) I’ll have to try it with coconut oil in it!

3. says

LOl I can so relate! It took me a year and a half of mostly raw eating to try making nut milk! Then it was LOVE!! So good :)
    I have exactly the same glasses too! :)

4. says

Isn’t homemade nut milk yummy?! And SO EASY! I was kicking myself too. I definitely need a baggy like yours so mine is silky smooth. I adore putting dates and a little coco powder for chocolate milk. Deeeelish!

You and Austin have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

5. says

I make almond milk once a week for my daughter. I use it when baking as well. I, like some others, use about a half cup of almonds, some dates, water and a pinch of salt. Yummmm!

6. Heather says

OK! you’ve convinced me to try this. I don’t have a vitamix yet, but I’m thinking since you strain it, I will get something good out of it…

Have you tried the Almond Milk from Pressed Juicery yet?. OMG – you have to try it! Total Nirvana. Or maybe don’t try it because you will want to order it all the time. I’ve been adding one to my order of greens delivery. They add dates, vanilla and sea salt. It’s funny how even the organic boxed kind tastes kinda lackluster….

I will also try the creamy dreamy shake next. have not used avocados for dessert yet either. thanks for the inspiration!

• says

I wash mine by hand in the sink, using warm soapy water and rinsing well, then hang to dry. Turning the bag inside-out helps clean out all the little bits and pieces, too!

7. Allie says

Whoa, looks delish, I’m going to try it! After you make the milk – are the leftover, squeezed almonds worth saving? Could you use them in one of your other recipes or are they too pulsed for use?

• says

I have yet to find a good recipe for the leftover almond pulp! I tried making cookies with it once, and they were a total flop. The texture is very bland and mushy, so it’s hard to create something tasty out of that! (However, I’m sure it can be done– I just haven’t had any luck yet!)

Let me know if you make anything good with it! :)

• April says

Do you think it would help (for baking) if the pulp was dehydrated before trying to use it for recipes?? I would love to know. I hate the idea of just throwing it out. Seems like some good health benefits could still be had from it, right?

• April says

Should I dehydrate and regrind first, or use wet for the facial? In our family of 5 we have three girls including me so there are lots of facials to be had and perfect for some quality girl time. Thanks for the tip!!

BTW- I’ve made this almond milk a few times now, and it is fantastic, and so easy in my Vitamix!! Next I want to try flavoring/sweetening it. I’m sure it will be delish!!

**If anyone wants to buy a nut-milk bag without spending a small fortune, you can buy a nylon mesh paint strainer bag in 1 gal size that has an elastic band at the top for about $1.37 each at Sherwin Williams Paint stores. I just bought a couple a weeks ago, and they work fantastic, treat them as you would any nut-milk bag.

• says

I usually dehydrate first simply because there might be too much liquid in the mixture. I am so glad that you like it! My sister and I both love the facials on this website! (I am 13 so facials are always very nice

• says

Couldn’t you use the pulp in anything just to add fiber? If the recipe has a good strong taste I would think it wouldn’t matter. Never mind I see someone suggested smoothie already… Sorry my brain doesn’t start until 4 pm PST. lol

• Vicki says

Just mix the almond pulp with some coconut oil and use as an exfoliator, or dump it in your compost heap.

8. Monica says

I just made this and it tastes awesome!Definitely not the same as store bought, but worth it nonetheless to know there aren’t any extra chemicals/fillers. Also, the pulp makes great raw cookies with dates, cocoa, and nibs blended together. Yum!

9. Arlene says

Stupid question – what do you do with the leftover almonds that were in the bag? Can they be used in other recipes or do you just toss?

• says

Not a stupid question! I have yet to find a “good” recipe for the leftover almond pulp, so I will often throw mine away… but I’m still trying to work on that!

• Laura S. says

I dehydrate mine and then grind it into almond flour with the dry grains container in the vitamix! It works *really* well as a filler in meatballs – or as a thickener for sauces.

10. Annalea says

How much coconut oil, sweetener and salt? It doesn’t say, and I can’t tell if it’s a 1/4 cup of 1/8 cup of coconut oil. Thanks so much!

11. Dani says

I love making my own almond milk, it tastes wonderful. However every recipe I’ve used seems to require soaking the almonds at least 4 hours, others saying 8 to 12…does not doing this change the consistency at all? Just wondering because it would be a HUGE time saver!

• says

I haven’t noticed a difference in almond milk consistency, whether I soak my almonds for 4 or 12 hours. However, since I use a Vitamix, it would break them down easily, regardless!

The importance of soaking the almonds beforehand is to remove the enzyme inhibitors, which affect digestion, so I find 4 hours is sufficient for that, and rinsing really well before blending. Hope that helps! :)

12. victoria says

Hey Megan, I was wondering how you can use the homemade almond milk instead of regular milk… wheres the calcium and nutritional value?

• says

Hi Victoria! In regards to recipes, you can use almond milk as a substitute for regular milk in most situations. Personally, I don’t think we should be drinking regular milk at all, and don’t believe it to be a good source of calcium– in fact, from what I understand, calcium is actually depleted from our bones when we drink milk, due to the high protein/acidity content. (You can read more on that here: http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/) Countries with the lowest consumption of dairy products also have the lowest fracture incidence in their population.

It’s difficult to determine the exact nutritional value in homemade almond milk, but it should retain all of the nutrition found in the almonds used– one cup of almonds contain 25 % of your daily calcium, 25% vitamin D, 125% vitamin E, and 25g of protein. (Divide that by 4 servings for this recipe)

Hope that helps!

• says

Spinach and Kale have more calcium then milk. I am with you all the way Megan. I know a woman who used almond milk her whole life because she was allergic to regular milk. She had a Bone density test and the Doctor said her bones were strong as if she was 30 years old. She’s 60.

• says

The recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil, but it’s completely optional. I usually make my almond milk “plain,” using just the almonds and water, but the coconut oil makes it extra-creamy!

13. Justin says

I found the almond pulp works well in hummus. Also have made a few cookies with this. Although it’s loaded with sugar, I used the Alton Brown’s Chewy Chocolate Chip recipe (my all time favorite chocolate chip cookie). Just replaced all the bread flour with almond meal. I also had to put it in a 9×13 pan and cooked it a little longer. Again, this recipe isn’t the greatest for raw foods. But I imagine a lot of the ingredients could be replaced with more raw items.

14. gretchen says

This recipe looks fascinating, but I just have a question. Should I use raw or roasted almonds? Raw almonds are my most favorite snack :)

Does it make a difference? And sorry if someone has stated this already; I just didn’t see it.

• says

I don’t think it makes a huge difference, though it will effect the flavor, since roasted almonds taste different. I prefer the taste of raw almonds, so that’s what I use!

15. Mel says

Almond pulp is actually really useful if you dry it out. Either in the oven at a low temperature or in a dehydrator. If you want great almond flour (and you’re not eating completely raw) blanche the almonds to get the skins off: http://www.ehow.com/how_2081995_blanche-almonds.html
    After you make the milk, dry out the pulp and grind it up in a vitamix/spice grinder/bullet. BAM…perfect almond flour to use in baking. It tastes more bitter if you leave the skins on, but then you can manage some raw-some brownie bites with the help of a dehydrator.

I used to make these all the time: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=609048

16. Raylene says

Hi, thanks for the inspiration. I am always looking for ways to make interesting, good for my family that is a healthy alternative. I figure any change is good. This almond milk recipe looks promising, will give it a try. My daughter does not like the store version, so maybe she will give this a try. Also love that you suggest but don’t force the issue of raw eating, it is more inviting to those of us that take change more slowly. Thanks Again!

17. Paula says

Do you have a source for your organic almonds? It seems that you use a lot of them so I would think you get them in bulk somewhere. I have a large family and so making these recipes can be very expensive. Any info on a good source for organic bulk shopping would be appreciated. Thank you

18. Dora says

I just put 3 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of almond butter (I make my own, but any will work) in the blender for a few minutes (even though I have a vitamix, because the small particles require longer blending). Then I put a fine mesh tea strainer (a coffee filter would work too) on whatever container I’m going to use and strain it through. It stays in the fridge for a few days, just like normal almond milk. If you’re not picky about the pieces you can skip straining it altogether. I bet with blanched almonds you wouldn’t even need to stain it, but I can’t find organic blanched ones, and I like that the organic ones I buy are in the bulk section (reduces waste).

19. Robin says

Thank you so much for this almond butter receipe. I tried making it tonight and turned out really good, then i tried honey roasted peanut butter, execelent good and nutrious and ya know whats in this stuff, next is the almond milk, but need to get more almonds. gonna share this with my friends.

• says

It doesn’t have the same preservatives that the boxed stuff does, so it will go bad faster. I’ve been known to use mine for a little over a week, but you will *know* when it’s bad– it will taste awful after too long!

20. Sheila says

I am so enjoying this recipe. My question is when making coconut milk do you need to throw out the liquid it soaks in, or do you use it?? I understand with the almond milk that you throw it out and why, (because I read the whole thread :) ) , but not sure about the coconut milk!

21. Sheila says

So ANOTHER question :) ! I am loving making my own milks. When I make coconut milk, the residual rises to the top and requires skimming…it look suspiciously like coconut oil/butter,I rubbed some into the back of my hand and it absorbed. I was wondering if I whipped this up in the food processor if it would work as either. What do you think???

22. Rebecca C says

Maybe use the pulp for some muffin that use almond meal instead of flour. I just made the almond milk plain, and it doesn’t taste that good to me. I like almond milk from the store, unflavored. I’m not sure what I did wrong. Raw almonds, soaked overnight, rinsed, blended with 4 cups cold water. I didn’t strain it, but the texture didn’t bother me. It had almost a bitter and watery taste. Any ideas on what I did wrong? I will try to reblend it with maple syrup and see if it improves.

• says

The flavor of the almond milk depends on the flavor of the almonds you use– mine usually taste slightly sweet on their own, so my almond milk tastes slightly sweet, too! Straining the milk might make a difference, since you’d be removing the skins with the pulp… maybe they could affect the flavor? I hope adding some maple syrup helps!

23. KMAT says

For those of us who were such almond enthusiasts in the past that we’ve become allergic to them (so unfortunate!), would other nuts or seeds work with this recipe? I’ve heard of people making cashew milk, but i’m not sure if the process would be the same.

24. Lauren says

I’m sorry if you’ve already answered this but can you use a food processor to make this or does it have to be a blender?

Thanks for the great recipes!

25. says

I just finally tried this recipe, and I can’t believe how easy it was! The almond milk came out so delicious- better than any store-bought version I’ve ever tried!

Awesome!

26. Essie says

Hi there.. I really want to do this but I’m having a hard time figuring out how this is more cost effective. It’s of course better than the store bought kind but it seems crazy expensive. There are approximately 4 cups per pound of almonds.. if you need 1 cup to make 4 cups, and drink a cup a day, then you would need about 2 cups of almonds per week. So about 2 lbs per month – the cheapest I’ve found of organic, raw almonds is $20 for 2 pounds. That is very expensive for a month of milk! Am I doing something wrong?

How much are the Trader Joe’s organic raw almonds?

• Zahra says

I don’t know how many cups of almonds makes a pound but currently I’m buying Almond Breeze, which is about four cups a box and each box after taxes comes to just around five dollars when it’s not on sale. Twenty dollars would get me four boxes (sixteen cups) of Almond Breeze. So by your estimate, $20 would get me double the amount of almond milk to last the whole month! Yay!

• Monica says

I pay about $3 for a half gallon of Almond Breeze so I totally agree with Essie. Making it your self is unfortunately much more expensive. My family didn’t like the taste either but I haven’t tried the sweetened version. I just wish it was cost effective.

27. Rita Strang says

I was eating out of a can of mixed nuts today, I buy the deluxe mix without peanuts…I was thinking I really need someone in the house that likes almonds because they are what is left…I like them but cannot chew roasted ones with dentures. We use almond milk almost exclusively…so now I know what to save my almonds for!

28. Lisa says

Tried this and added a sprinkle of cinnamon and a half teaspoon of vanilla and a teaspoon of honey. Heaven in a glass! Yummy!

29. orctravel says

I want to try making Almond milk and have a question first! Can I use Coconut butter instead of Coconut oil? My family prefers the taste of Coconut butter over coconut oil… Do you even taste the Coconut oil?
    Thank you Megan!

• says

I’ve never tried it, but it sounds like it might work! The french press filter still may allow some pulp to strain through, but it wouldn’t be a big deal.

30. Deb says

I can’t find organic almonds that don’t cost a small fortune. I am on a limited budget and would like to make my own almond milk. Is using raw nuts ok. How much chemicals are actually on the almonds once you remove them from the shell?

• says

I still use raw nuts on occasion, if it makes you feel any better. The organic ones aren’t always available at Trader Joe’s! I wouldn’t be able to tell you how many chemicals may still be on the nuts, though… we’d probably need our own lab for that!

31. Jennifer says

Hi Megan! I made this almond milk this week and have been enjoying it in my smoothies – I took your tip and added the coconut oil, vanilla, and maple syrup. Only one problem – it seems to have separated in the fridge – into three layers, milky on the bottom, watery in the middle, and a thin milky layer on top. It’s fine if I stir it back together, just wondering if this is normal?

32. Jennifer C. says

what I do with my almond pulp is spread it out on a cookie sheet and let it dry out in a low oven like 250-300 for about an hour or until no longer wet. Then I put the dried out pulp in the blender and give it a quick pulse a few times and there is my almond flour.

33. Nicholas says

Holy crap I am excited to make this! Would it be ok do you think to perhaps throw in a tsp of cinnamon maybe? Perhaps along with the coco oil? Def gonna do it with hazelnuts as well. How much does a milk bag or cheese cloth typically cost?

34. Ana says

Thank you for posting this, I am a huge almond milk fan and can’t wait to try this! This might be a dumb question, but I’ve never done anything like this… Can you re-use the nut milk bag?

35. Kate says

Holy Mother of Almonds…I am completely addicted to this site! I’m new to all this, but after being diagnosed with diabetes four months ago, I’ve lost 38 lbs and am obsessed with eating better! Giving up moo milk wasn’t easy, but the carb count alone made it simple! I bought unsweetened, unflavored almond milk and love it for cooking, but just cant drink it…I think its the thickness. Is your almond milk thick too? If so, would adding more water change the composition too much for other uses? I prefer the not sweet stuff, glad this has nothing added! Thanks…I LOVE this place! :)

36. Kate says

Another question…I thought I saw it addressed in the comments, but now I can’t find it. Could I use raw blanched almonds? Found them for $28.30/4 lbs…and no peel! Would I still need to strain them? I do like the idea of making flour from the leftovers tho!

37. says

I JUST made this :) I used some up Trader Joes sesame honey almonds that I wasn’t going to eat. Next time I’ll get some organic ones. I whizzed it up in my vitamix and HOLY cow. It got so foamy and incredibly thick and delicious! I added more water to mine and I’ve got a BUNCH now in the fridge. Why do you say only keep for 4 days? I don’t think I can drink all I made in four days, and see no reason why it won’t last longer :)

• says

I estimate 4 days to be on the safe side– it will often last longer! Keep in mind that this almond milk has no preservatives, so the flavor will go “off” quicker than store-bought almond milk. You’ll definitely be able to taste a difference if that happens!

38. Colleen says

Hi, I see there is a mention of using raw blanched almonds but I didn’t actually see what kind of almonds you use in your recipe. Do you use roasted almonds, as I have read that raw almonds are not really raw and are can be treated with dangerous carcinogen gases to prevent salmonella. I’m not sure what kind of almonds you are using to make this milk. I want to steer clear of raw almonds in the store from now on.

• says

I always use organic almonds, and organic raw almonds if they are available. Organic raw almonds cannot be treated with those dangerous gasses, so it’s only the conventional raw almonds you have to worry about. I prefer to avoid roasted almonds, as their oils can mutate at high heat and those would not be healthful to consume.

39. Colleen says

Thank you for your reply. Do the diffferent oils that they are roasted in mutate at high heat or the almond oil itself? I will look for organic almonds, even though they are treated with something else;at least I know they are not contaminated with the carcinogenic gas. Thanks again.

• says

I was referring to the oil that naturally occurs in the almonds themselves. Any additional oil used for roasting would also be of concern, though!

40. Nikki says

I was wondering if you have tried making flax milk. The only recipes I could find were sweetened and I prefer unsweetened for cooking and topping my granola. Also would you use the leftover grounds the same way as the almond milk?…as flax meal?

41. Jenny says

Just found your site- awesome! thank you for your posts! I didn’t read all the comments above, but if yo happen to have a dehydrator on hand… you can dehydrate the almond pulp left over from the milk to make your almond flour. that way you get two items- milk and flour. More bang for your buck! You can do the same with coconut milk pulp. :) it comes out so nice and fine in the vitamix. :)

42. Heather says

Making almond milk every couple of days would get a little cumbersome for my schedule – do you think freezing it would be a problem? I am thinking of making it once a week and having enough to get us through… We drink raw cow’s milk but would like to ween off of that a bit.

43. Carolyn Rotermund says

Hi Megan, also just found your website – love it. Thank you! Wondering what brand the jar is in the picture? Thanks!

• Megan says

I bought that container at Target 3 years ago. I don’t use it anymore, because it’s plastic, but I think they make a glass version now!

I actually use this new air-tight glass container for my almond milk now: http://amzn.to/10GubsE I love that I can fit my entire hand through the top for cleaning purposes– a very important feature when you use the same container for almond milk over and over again!

44. Joanna says

I’ve been making my own almond milk for a few months now, and I love it. But I’ve read that you should soak for up to 24 hours, which I have been doing. Would there be a greater benefit to doing that as opposed to just soaking for 4-6 hours? Also, I read it’s only good for 2 days. Would that be due to the longer soaking time? I would love to just make it once a week. I use a mesh nut milk bag and find I still get a little pulp coming through. Have you used a cotton or hemp one before and how does it compare to the mesh kind? Thanks, Megan! Love your blog!

• Megan says

I’ve never heard of soaking them for 24 hours, so I don’t think that’s necessary. Sometimes I’ll soak mine overnight (about 8 hours), because it’s easier to leave it in my fridge and deal with them in the morning. You should be able to tell when the almond milk is no longer “good,” but mine will always last at least 4 days in the fridge, if not longer. It will have an unpleasant taste and smell when it has gone bad. I’ve been using the same mesh bag for 3+ years, so I don’t have any experience with the other materials.

45. loree says

I’ve never made my own almond milk before. Can you use slivered almonds? Do you have to soak them? Also, I don’t have a vitamix but I do have a nutri-Bullet. Will it work in there?

• Megan says

I don’t think soaking blanched slivered almonds would be necessary. I’ve never tried the Nutri-Bullet, so please let us know how it works for you!

• emily says

hi loree, how did making almond mix in your nutri-bullet go? i’m looking into buying a mixer and the vitamix is a little on the pricier side! thanks!

46. says

Followed your recipe exactly, adding 1 T vanilla and 2 T maple syrup. Delicious! Will be enjoying homemade almond milk from here on out. Thank you!

47. Jennifer says

I love Almond Milk and love this recipe. It’s fast and easy. I had a hard time finding a nut bag and cheesecloth let some of the pulp through making my milk gritty, so instead I use old white t-shirts. They are thin enough to let the milk through but thick enough to hold all the pulp.

48. says

My son took the Elisa test and almonds were one of his delayed food allergies. Is there any other nut you would recommend to make the milk.

I’m now using Rice Dream milk (plain) is that a healthy choice?

• Megan says

You can use any nut or seed, as well as dried shredded unsweetened coconut, to make a homemade non-dairy milk. I find that store-bought milks all contain fillers and preservatives, so homemade versions are definitely the best choice, if you have that option.

49. Jenni says

I make my own almond milk and love it, however after soaking the almonds I remove all the skins. I use the pulp on oatmeal and in cookies. Its great to be able to use everything, no water here.

50. Jim says

I’ve been drinking almond milk for about 6 months now. This is probably a dumb question, but will this still have the calcium and Vitamin D levels of the cow’s milk I left behind, like what I’m buying in the store?

• Megan says

Store-bought cow’s milk and almond milks will often have “added” calcium and vitamin D, but the homemade version will not.

51. zosia says

do you know or do you know where i could find the nutritional information for homemade (strained) almond milk?

do you think (if you don’t know) it’s very similar to that of conventional (Almond Breeze – Unsweetened – for example) in terms of calories?

thanks
    -zosia

• Donna says

@zosia….Did you ever receive a response to your question?…I live in France…and use my baggage weight allowance buying unsweetened Almond Breeze on my visits to the States…because here in France some sort of sugar is ALWAYS added…ant the kcals in Almond Breeze are the lowest.

I would be so very grateful if anyone could share whether this homemade, great recipe is similar to AB in terms of calories…Anyone? …And thanks in advance!!!

52. Lauren says

Tried both varieties last night and you were right, just like anything homemade it tastes so pure and fresh! I LOVE the sweet option and would’ve never thought to put coconut oil in my milk! Just delicious!

53. Gita says

Just made this, thank you so much for the easy-to-follow recipe! It’s so delicious and I can’t wait to have it with my homemade granola in the morning. The stuff I bought in the store had too much sugar. I added some vanilla to mine, squeezed it through a cheesecloth lined strainer, and it’s delightful. Thanks again for making this easy.

54. Jessica says

Can you freeze the almond milk? My husband and I work full-time plus, but my son is allergic to dairy, egg, and peanut. We are currently buying almond milk for him (he is 14 months), but I know it has a lot of preservatives in it. Making up a bunch and freezing it would be convenient, but I don’t know if it would turn out….

• Megan says

I have frozen some almond milk in an ice cube tray before, and while it may separate a bit when frozen, I assume it would thaw okay! (Just shake it well before serving)

• Kat says

I’m way late to this – but I’ve found that after thawing, it’s best to blend it back up again. A stick blender does great for this. It’ll keep the consistency overnight this way (if you need that) and it just seems better (thicker?) than shaking it.

55. Noelle says

Just made this, and it’s amazing! Will be adding vanilla the next time I make it. Can’t wait to have it in the morning! THanks!

56. lisa says

The almond pulp is great for a skin scrup. I mix mine with olive oil or coconut oil , just a little and rub on my skin. feels great after. but do it in the shower the little pieces get everywhere.

57. Lina says

Hi Megan, I’m not sure about making my own almond milk for the reason that it doesn’t supply much calcium. I by store bought almond milk because it contains calcium, but I’d much rather make my own if the homemade milk would supply the same amount. Any ideas on what I could do? Or should I continue to by store bought?

58. says

I made this recipe today and tweaked it with 2 mejool dates and half a vanilla bean for flavor…my kids said that it’s WAY better than then stuff in the carton!! :)

59. Lynn Lee says

Hi Megan

Is it possible for me to use Almond or Cashew or peanut flour to make it unto a paste? If so, it would be easier than blending the nuts.

My husband cannot eat solid so I need some recipes that make it like a paste or milk. I saw the almond milk on your website. Can I use the same method to make cashew milk? Can almond and cashew be used to thicken vegetable soup or chicken soup. I have to blend the chicken meat and vegetables into paste.

Please recommend recipes that are paste or milk form.

Regards
    Lynn Lee

60. Norma says

Brazil nut butter may not be healthy as the nuts have so much selenium content that it is now suggested that they be limited to just a few a week.

61. Shauna says

Hi =D Okay so I have been using your recipe to make my own almond milk (yay!) for a few months now. Do you always need to mix your milk before using or is it just me? It separates… which is not that big of a deal, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. TIA =)

62. Denisse says

Hi!!! I love made my almond milk, but sometimes when I look the fridge I was a little surprise when I discover I don’t have enough to make my breakfast and I don’t have the time to make the milk, so I was looking online organic milk but I not sure what brand is good. Anyone can recommend me a good brand? Thanks.

63. nina says

hi there thank you for the information. I learned some while ago in a natural book that you could Blanche the almonds and the skins just comes off really quickly so you don’t have to put it through the straining part. I’ve done it and its just as good. Yummmm!

64. Amber Shade says

this looks delicious and so simple! I have 3 out of my 4 children who are lactose intolerant and would enjoy this, thinking about how big of a batch to make, what is the shelf life on this being home made? do you think it will hold up for a few days if I make a half gallon or more at a time?

65. Lousi says

I’ve been making almond milk for a couple of years now, but adding coconut oil to it…pure genius! It tastes SO GOOD that way. I’ll always be making it like that from now on. Thanks!

66. Jay says

Hi Megan! Thank you for the great recipes. I’m planning to make my own almond milk for the first time but I wasn’t sure if I needed to use raw almonds or not. Does it matter? Do roasted almonds help it keep longer or give it more flavor?

67. VanillaMacaroon says

Wow! I tried this recipe over the week-end and it’s just so easy!! I am also very pleasantly surprised with the taste! It’s nothing like any store-bought brands I’ve tried before! I don’t have a nut milk bag, so I used regular cheesecloth instead. The only thing is you must use enough layers so there is really no pulp left in the milk when you’re done straining it. Otherwise, it’s got this unpleasant grainy texture. Love it!! Thanks Megan!!

68. G says

I just found your site couple days ago while I was googling for homemade Almond Butter! I have now made the Almond Butter (which was delicious) and made the Almond Butter Freezer Fudge. Me & my husband loved it and now can’t wait to try the rest of your amazing receipes, so healthy. More people should be eating this way rather than the bad carbs and refined sugar.
    I have a question tho, we are in England so your receipe measurement threw me with the cup size. I google for conversation and found a few different sites that gave different measures. What do you think? I cup = 284g or 500g?
    Thanks Megan!

69. Noodle-berry says

Hey Megan
    Found your web page a few months ago; but put off making any of your recipes until I’d moved into my very first home! Have just made your Almond milk; good god girl your a genius!!! Absolutely delicious! And I’m drying out my pulp now so I can make those yummy chocolate brownies. Can’t wait to try some of your other stuff (particularly the Almond butter…!)
    Thanks for an amazing site :)

70. MannyB says

Hi Megan, new to your web page, looks very good, I applaud you on it, small recommendation for the almond milk if you use a metal strainer first before using the nut milk bag you will take out all the bigger pieces of almond and it makes it mach easier and faster for a 2nd round with the nut bag.

71. Pam C says

I just ordered a Vitamix and can’t wait to try some of these awesome recipes! What is the nut milk bag made out of? I would like to make my own if possible.

thanks

72. Carolina says

I tried this recipe and I really really wanted to like it but I’m prob in the minority here, maybe it’s something I’m doing wrong?… I did use a milk bag, just a regular very thin strainer, and I used spring water rather than filtered… would that have made the difference?… I find it to taste very thing, and just like almond flavored water… should I use less water next time? or maybe Im’ just not an almond milk girl and I have to accept that? lol

73. Linda says

I love your blog. I have a question. Could a juicer be used instead of the blender? I have to pass on some of your great recipes because they call for eggs or regular cheese. I can sub on the eggs, but not the cheese. Do you have any subs for the specialty cheese?

• Megan says

I know you can use a juicer to make almond butter, but I’m not sure how it would work for mixing the water with the almonds to make almond milk. Let us know if you come up with something! In regards to cheese, in many recipes it can be omitted without affecting the results too much– it just depends on the particular recipe you have in mind.

74. Esther says

Can you make almond milk and almond butter with sliced or slivered almonds? If so should they still be soaked to get the skins loose?

• Megan says

I think slivered almonds would work in both cases, but don’t soak almonds before making almond butter– any extra moisture will affect the result.

75. fanny says

Hi. My question may be stupid but I would like to know about the calories in almond milk that you make at home… is it different from processed almond milk?

76. Kris says

I dry the left over almond meal in the oven and use it as almond flour. I hadn’t thought to put it in my Ninja blender to blend it to a fine flour. I will try this next time.

77. hiranyakasibu says

I have a question. almond milk that is home made is quite high in fat. around 71 grams of fat in milk made from a cup of almonds. So how does it help one’s health? how much is recommended per day? how can one hope to lose weight by having this almond milk? thanks.

also would like to know the calorie value of the recipes mentioned here like the bars and cakes made from almonds and cashews as milk substitutes. these also seem to be quite high in fat.

• says

Hi I will tell you what my dietitian told me. Nuts have good fat unlike meat. She uses Almond milk for her kids and family. There is high cholestrol in her family and she has not had any problems with her labs. She is 40.

78. hiranyakasibu says

ok the calories in almond milk I got from your previous question and answer.

the use of coconut oil how healthy is it? 100gm of coconut oil has 440 percent of saturated fat requirement for the day for an adult. is it healthy ?

79. April says

I’m making my own almond milk for the first time. It’s been soaking since yesterday afternoon. I removed the skins from the nuts because they were loose. So, I shouldn’t have to strain them or use a “nut bag,” right?

• Megan says

There will still be pulp from the ground almonds in your milk, so I would strain that through a nut milk bag for a smooth result. But, you don’t have to if you don’t mind the pulp texture!

80. Laura says

Just wanted you to know that I appreciate you so much. You have taken so much fear and effort out of cleaner eating. I the family loves the almond milk so much that I make way more than we ever bought pre-made.

81. MAC says

So how much would we have to make to have a cup of almond milk everyday for a week? If 1 cup of almonds with 4 cups water= 4 cups of milk would we need to buy 2 cups of almonds? Would this be expensive? Should we store it in a gallon sized jug afterwards and pour upon use?

82. says

Megan:

After a six month consideration I’ve finally found a courage to make an almond milk and results are fantastic! After soaking I peeled skins of each nut as somebody suggested and it was a smart move – it was a wasteless production. Used the pulp immediately for my breakfast – it’s like a cottage cheese, added some honey and frozen raspberries. I use almond milk for a making my morning latte, and today’s foam was especially rich and foamy! I blended milk with coconut oil and vanilla – it’s a nirvana:)!

Thanks a lot!

Len

83. says

HI there!

I was wondering if its possible to make batches of almond milk ahead of time freeze them. I just read an article on Wellness Mama about the dangers of carrageenan, which is in both kinds of the store-bought almond milk I drink!

• Megan says

I’ve never tried freezing almond milk, but it’s worth a shot! Please let us know how it goes for you.

• Anna says

I freeze mine all the time. I use plastic containers of the specific portion I use for my cappuccino, so every morning I have fresh milk!!!

84. Marie susini says

You CAN also add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, three softened dates and a pinch of salt. And for the lovers, two pinches on cinnamon (I use cardamom).

This is incredibly good’. You should try it

85. Siiri says

Hi! This is important, if I use normal water instead of filtered, since I can’t have it (those machines here in Finland cost so much!) can i still keep it refridgerated for that 5 days without it going bad?

Thanks if you answer!

86. Ashley says

Looks good. I make my own coconut milk all the time. I’ll have try it. Random queston. Where did you get your jar and lid?

87. amy says

So glad I found your site (someone pinned this recipe of yours above and I followed it here). I’ve been wanting to try homemade almond milk for awhile and you made me feel confident about it. I was also elated to see the almond meal recipes, which were the other main reason I didn’t try it earlier (I went through a lengthy juicing phase a d eventually gave it up after growing increasingly uncomfortable about the waste).

ANYWAY I digress. Out of curiosity I decided did not to strain the almond milk on my first try, and with the nut meal included, it makes my hubby’s morning vegan shake even heartier and thicker and more filling. LOVE. Thanks, I’ve been clicking all over your site since, looking forward to learning more. You are very knowledgeable.

88. CarolLynn says

I just made my first batch of almond milk and it I so yummy. Can the pulp be frozen? Also how long do I dehydrate it for? thank you

89. Mary Beth says

I have just gotten into this idea of almond milk. I understand why you would soak the almonds to remove the enzymes but why don’t you have to soak the almonds for almond butter to remove the enzymes? Thanks!

• Megan Gilmore says

In theory, you’d soak the almonds before making almond butter, too. But, then you’d have to dry the almonds really, really well before grinding them into butter, because any added moisture can ruin the results. I don’t have the time or patience for that, so it doesn’t happen too often in my house, even if it would be slightly easier to digest.

90. chanel says

Thanks so much for this. I have 2 yr old twins who are dairy and soy intolerant and drink almond milk. At $3.55 a litre here in Australia and having a litre a day is so expensive. Hopefully his will work out much cheaper…just need to source a a nut bag and container. I have a Bellini similar to a Thermomix so hoping it will work in that.

91. Siew says

thanks for the recipe.. Really awesome dessert that my whole family has been craving for..
    Just one question , why my almond milk is lumpy instead of a smooth consistency ?

• Megan Gilmore says

Did you strain out the pulp? The only thing that should be left is the liquid milk, which is smooth.

Trackbacks