How to Make Almond Milk

Making your own almond milk is surprisingly easy.

almond-milk-recipe

A delicious and nutritious alternative to dairy milk, this almond milk is light and creamy, but is free of lactose or casein–> both of which can cause digestive issues.

Did you know up to 75% of the world’s population is lactose-intolerant? Another good reason to try this almond milk.

If you’ve tried store-bought almond milk, don’t be surprised if you like this homemade version much, much more. Homemade almond milk is free of fillers and preservatives, and provides a sweet, subtle almond flavor. In fact, most people who try homemade almond milk can never go back to the store-bought varieties again!

An added bonus? It’s cheap and easy to make!

Homemade Almond Milk
makes 4 cups

1 cup almonds, soaked in water for 4-6 hours and rinsed well
4 cups filtered water
nut milk bag, or cheese cloth for straining

Combine the drained almonds and 4 cups of filtered water in a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.

Note: Soaking the almonds beforehand removes the enzyme inhibitors naturally contained in their skins. These enzyme inhibitors may cause digestive discomfort if consumed, which is why I recommend soaking the almonds first, then draining and rinsing well. You don’t want to use the soaking water in this recipe, as it will contain those toxins you just removed!

This takes about a minute in the Vitamix, but may take longer in a standard blender.

Once thoroughly blended, pour the mixture through a mesh nut milk bag, positioned over a large bowl.

Close the bag at the top, then squeeze, squeeze, squeeze!!!!!!

You’ll want to squeeze out every last drop! Discard the remaining almond pulp, or save it for another use! (See recipe ideas below)

Transfer the strained milk into a sealed container, and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.

*Note: Feel free to substitute any other nuts or seeds, to create a variety of dairy-free milks! Brazil nuts and Hazelnuts don’t need to be soaked before blending, as they do not contain enzyme inhibitors like other nuts.

**For an extra-special treat: Try adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to the mixture before blending. The resulting almond milk is extra-creamy, sweet, and irresistible!

Homemade Almond Milk
Serves: 4 cups

A creamy alternative to dairy milk, which can be ready in less than 10 minutes!
  • 1 cup almonds, soaked 4-6 hours and rinsed well
  • 4 cups filtered water
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute in a high-powered blender.
  2. Strain the "milk" through a nut-milk bag or cheese cloth, squeezing well to extract the extra liquid. You can save the remaining almond pulp for another recipe, or discard.
  3. Store in the fridge, in a sealed container, for up to 4 days.
Notes
For an extra-special treat, try adding 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of vanilla, and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup to the mixture before blending. The resulting almond milk is extra-creamy, sweet, and irresistible!

Need ideas for your leftover almond pulp?

Try making one of these sweet treats:

Enjoy!

221 thoughts on “How to Make Almond Milk

I bought that container at Target 3 years ago. I don’t use it anymore, because it’s plastic, but I think they make a glass version now!

I actually use this new air-tight glass container for my almond milk now: http://amzn.to/10GubsE I love that I can fit my entire hand through the top for cleaning purposes– a very important feature when you use the same container for almond milk over and over again!

1. Jim

I’ve been drinking almond milk for about 6 months now. This is probably a dumb question, but will this still have the calcium and Vitamin D levels of the cow’s milk I left behind, like what I’m buying in the store?

Store-bought cow’s milk and almond milks will often have “added” calcium and vitamin D, but the homemade version will not.

2. zosia

do you know or do you know where i could find the nutritional information for homemade (strained) almond milk?

do you think (if you don’t know) it’s very similar to that of conventional (Almond Breeze – Unsweetened – for example) in terms of calories?

thanks
    -zosia

1. Donna

@zosia….Did you ever receive a response to your question?…I live in France…and use my baggage weight allowance buying unsweetened Almond Breeze on my visits to the States…because here in France some sort of sugar is ALWAYS added…ant the kcals in Almond Breeze are the lowest.

I would be so very grateful if anyone could share whether this homemade, great recipe is similar to AB in terms of calories…Anyone? …And thanks in advance!!!

3. Lauren

Tried both varieties last night and you were right, just like anything homemade it tastes so pure and fresh! I LOVE the sweet option and would’ve never thought to put coconut oil in my milk! Just delicious!

4. Gita

Just made this, thank you so much for the easy-to-follow recipe! It’s so delicious and I can’t wait to have it with my homemade granola in the morning. The stuff I bought in the store had too much sugar. I added some vanilla to mine, squeezed it through a cheesecloth lined strainer, and it’s delightful. Thanks again for making this easy.

5. Jessica

Can you freeze the almond milk? My husband and I work full-time plus, but my son is allergic to dairy, egg, and peanut. We are currently buying almond milk for him (he is 14 months), but I know it has a lot of preservatives in it. Making up a bunch and freezing it would be convenient, but I don’t know if it would turn out….

I have frozen some almond milk in an ice cube tray before, and while it may separate a bit when frozen, I assume it would thaw okay! (Just shake it well before serving)

1. Kat

I’m way late to this – but I’ve found that after thawing, it’s best to blend it back up again. A stick blender does great for this. It’ll keep the consistency overnight this way (if you need that) and it just seems better (thicker?) than shaking it.

6. Noelle

Just made this, and it’s amazing! Will be adding vanilla the next time I make it. Can’t wait to have it in the morning! THanks!

7. lisa

The almond pulp is great for a skin scrup. I mix mine with olive oil or coconut oil , just a little and rub on my skin. feels great after. but do it in the shower the little pieces get everywhere.

8. Lina

Hi Megan, I’m not sure about making my own almond milk for the reason that it doesn’t supply much calcium. I by store bought almond milk because it contains calcium, but I’d much rather make my own if the homemade milk would supply the same amount. Any ideas on what I could do? Or should I continue to by store bought?

9. Pingback: the annah banana shake | thebarefootnester

10. Lori

I made this recipe today and tweaked it with 2 mejool dates and half a vanilla bean for flavor…my kids said that it’s WAY better than then stuff in the carton!! 🙂

11. Pingback: Homemade Almond Milk | FOR THE LOVE OF FOOD

12. Lynn Lee

Hi Megan

Is it possible for me to use Almond or Cashew or peanut flour to make it unto a paste? If so, it would be easier than blending the nuts.

My husband cannot eat solid so I need some recipes that make it like a paste or milk. I saw the almond milk on your website. Can I use the same method to make cashew milk? Can almond and cashew be used to thicken vegetable soup or chicken soup. I have to blend the chicken meat and vegetables into paste.

Please recommend recipes that are paste or milk form.

Regards
    Lynn Lee

13. Pingback: Homemade almond milk | BeTheBestofYourself

14. Norma

Brazil nut butter may not be healthy as the nuts have so much selenium content that it is now suggested that they be limited to just a few a week.

15. Shauna

Hi =D Okay so I have been using your recipe to make my own almond milk (yay!) for a few months now. Do you always need to mix your milk before using or is it just me? It separates… which is not that big of a deal, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. TIA =)

16. Denisse

Hi!!! I love made my almond milk, but sometimes when I look the fridge I was a little surprise when I discover I don’t have enough to make my breakfast and I don’t have the time to make the milk, so I was looking online organic milk but I not sure what brand is good. Anyone can recommend me a good brand? Thanks.

17. nina

hi there thank you for the information. I learned some while ago in a natural book that you could Blanche the almonds and the skins just comes off really quickly so you don’t have to put it through the straining part. I’ve done it and its just as good. Yummmm!

18. Amber Shade

this looks delicious and so simple! I have 3 out of my 4 children who are lactose intolerant and would enjoy this, thinking about how big of a batch to make, what is the shelf life on this being home made? do you think it will hold up for a few days if I make a half gallon or more at a time?

19. Lousi

I’ve been making almond milk for a couple of years now, but adding coconut oil to it…pure genius! It tastes SO GOOD that way. I’ll always be making it like that from now on. Thanks!

20. Jay

Hi Megan! Thank you for the great recipes. I’m planning to make my own almond milk for the first time but I wasn’t sure if I needed to use raw almonds or not. Does it matter? Do roasted almonds help it keep longer or give it more flavor?

I prefer the flavor of raw almonds, but I don’t think using raw or roasted would affect the shelf-life much, since that’s more a matter of moisture content. Hope you enjoy it!

21. VanillaMacaroon

Wow! I tried this recipe over the week-end and it’s just so easy!! I am also very pleasantly surprised with the taste! It’s nothing like any store-bought brands I’ve tried before! I don’t have a nut milk bag, so I used regular cheesecloth instead. The only thing is you must use enough layers so there is really no pulp left in the milk when you’re done straining it. Otherwise, it’s got this unpleasant grainy texture. Love it!! Thanks Megan!!

22. G

I just found your site couple days ago while I was googling for homemade Almond Butter! I have now made the Almond Butter (which was delicious) and made the Almond Butter Freezer Fudge. Me & my husband loved it and now can’t wait to try the rest of your amazing receipes, so healthy. More people should be eating this way rather than the bad carbs and refined sugar.
    I have a question tho, we are in England so your receipe measurement threw me with the cup size. I google for conversation and found a few different sites that gave different measures. What do you think? I cup = 284g or 500g?
    Thanks Megan!

23. Noodle-berry

Hey Megan
    Found your web page a few months ago; but put off making any of your recipes until I’d moved into my very first home! Have just made your Almond milk; good god girl your a genius!!! Absolutely delicious! And I’m drying out my pulp now so I can make those yummy chocolate brownies. Can’t wait to try some of your other stuff (particularly the Almond butter…!)
    Thanks for an amazing site 🙂

24. MannyB

Hi Megan, new to your web page, looks very good, I applaud you on it, small recommendation for the almond milk if you use a metal strainer first before using the nut milk bag you will take out all the bigger pieces of almond and it makes it mach easier and faster for a 2nd round with the nut bag.

25. Pam C

I just ordered a Vitamix and can’t wait to try some of these awesome recipes! What is the nut milk bag made out of? I would like to make my own if possible.

thanks

26. Carolina

I tried this recipe and I really really wanted to like it but I’m prob in the minority here, maybe it’s something I’m doing wrong?… I did use a milk bag, just a regular very thin strainer, and I used spring water rather than filtered… would that have made the difference?… I find it to taste very thing, and just like almond flavored water… should I use less water next time? or maybe Im’ just not an almond milk girl and I have to accept that? lol

1. Régine Bohar

I find the blender you use makes all the difference. Did you use a regular blender, a Vitamix or a Nutri Bullet?. The last two really give different results. Also, you could try adding lecithin to make your milk creamier, or only use 3 cups of water. If you like the taste of fresh almonds, you should like this, as it tastes just like the almonds, unlike the commercial variety. After that, try adding a frozen banana, some raw cocoa powder and coconut sugar, vanilla extract,,, etc. When I want to “stretch” the recipe, I add a couple drops pure almond extract.

27. Linda

I love your blog. I have a question. Could a juicer be used instead of the blender? I have to pass on some of your great recipes because they call for eggs or regular cheese. I can sub on the eggs, but not the cheese. Do you have any subs for the specialty cheese?

I know you can use a juicer to make almond butter, but I’m not sure how it would work for mixing the water with the almonds to make almond milk. Let us know if you come up with something! In regards to cheese, in many recipes it can be omitted without affecting the results too much– it just depends on the particular recipe you have in mind.

28. Esther

Can you make almond milk and almond butter with sliced or slivered almonds? If so should they still be soaked to get the skins loose?

I think slivered almonds would work in both cases, but don’t soak almonds before making almond butter– any extra moisture will affect the result.

29. fanny

Hi. My question may be stupid but I would like to know about the calories in almond milk that you make at home… is it different from processed almond milk?

30. Kris

I dry the left over almond meal in the oven and use it as almond flour. I hadn’t thought to put it in my Ninja blender to blend it to a fine flour. I will try this next time.

31. hiranyakasibu

I have a question. almond milk that is home made is quite high in fat. around 71 grams of fat in milk made from a cup of almonds. So how does it help one’s health? how much is recommended per day? how can one hope to lose weight by having this almond milk? thanks.

also would like to know the calorie value of the recipes mentioned here like the bars and cakes made from almonds and cashews as milk substitutes. these also seem to be quite high in fat.

1. Patricia

Hi I will tell you what my dietitian told me. Nuts have good fat unlike meat. She uses Almond milk for her kids and family. There is high cholestrol in her family and she has not had any problems with her labs. She is 40.

2. Régine Bohar

Fat is actually healthy, and gives a feeling of satiety. Indeed, such things as avocados, coconut oil, and nuts are recommended by more and more nutritionists, even for people on a slimming diet.

32. hiranyakasibu

ok the calories in almond milk I got from your previous question and answer.

the use of coconut oil how healthy is it? 100gm of coconut oil has 440 percent of saturated fat requirement for the day for an adult. is it healthy ?

33. April

I’m making my own almond milk for the first time. It’s been soaking since yesterday afternoon. I removed the skins from the nuts because they were loose. So, I shouldn’t have to strain them or use a “nut bag,” right?

There will still be pulp from the ground almonds in your milk, so I would strain that through a nut milk bag for a smooth result. But, you don’t have to if you don’t mind the pulp texture!

34. Laura

Just wanted you to know that I appreciate you so much. You have taken so much fear and effort out of cleaner eating. I the family loves the almond milk so much that I make way more than we ever bought pre-made.

35. MAC

So how much would we have to make to have a cup of almond milk everyday for a week? If 1 cup of almonds with 4 cups water= 4 cups of milk would we need to buy 2 cups of almonds? Would this be expensive? Should we store it in a gallon sized jug afterwards and pour upon use?

36. Len

Megan:

After a six month consideration I’ve finally found a courage to make an almond milk and results are fantastic! After soaking I peeled skins of each nut as somebody suggested and it was a smart move – it was a wasteless production. Used the pulp immediately for my breakfast – it’s like a cottage cheese, added some honey and frozen raspberries. I use almond milk for a making my morning latte, and today’s foam was especially rich and foamy! I blended milk with coconut oil and vanilla – it’s a nirvana:)!

Thanks a lot!

Len

37. Elke

HI there!

I was wondering if its possible to make batches of almond milk ahead of time freeze them. I just read an article on Wellness Mama about the dangers of carrageenan, which is in both kinds of the store-bought almond milk I drink!

I’ve never tried freezing almond milk, but it’s worth a shot! Please let us know how it goes for you.

1. Anna

I freeze mine all the time. I use plastic containers of the specific portion I use for my cappuccino, so every morning I have fresh milk!!!

38. Marie susini

You CAN also add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, three softened dates and a pinch of salt. And for the lovers, two pinches on cinnamon (I use cardamom).

This is incredibly good’. You should try it

39. Pingback: Chunky Monkey Peanut Butter Chocolate Milkshake (Dairy-Free) | Rachel's Nourishing Kitchen

40. Pingback: It’s Peanut Butter Jelly (Smoothie) Time! | Rachel's Nourishing Kitchen

41. Siiri

Hi! This is important, if I use normal water instead of filtered, since I can’t have it (those machines here in Finland cost so much!) can i still keep it refridgerated for that 5 days without it going bad?

Thanks if you answer!

1. Régine Bohar

I found that my milk only keeps 3 days in the fridge. I live in Canada, and I have a Nutri Bullet, which cost $130 canadian. It is very efficient.

42. Ashley

Looks good. I make my own coconut milk all the time. I’ll have try it. Random queston. Where did you get your jar and lid?

43. amy

So glad I found your site (someone pinned this recipe of yours above and I followed it here). I’ve been wanting to try homemade almond milk for awhile and you made me feel confident about it. I was also elated to see the almond meal recipes, which were the other main reason I didn’t try it earlier (I went through a lengthy juicing phase a d eventually gave it up after growing increasingly uncomfortable about the waste).

ANYWAY I digress. Out of curiosity I decided did not to strain the almond milk on my first try, and with the nut meal included, it makes my hubby’s morning vegan shake even heartier and thicker and more filling. LOVE. Thanks, I’ve been clicking all over your site since, looking forward to learning more. You are very knowledgeable.

44. CarolLynn

I just made my first batch of almond milk and it I so yummy. Can the pulp be frozen? Also how long do I dehydrate it for? thank you

45. Pingback: No-Bake Pumpkin Pie | The Recipe Collective

46. Mary Beth

I have just gotten into this idea of almond milk. I understand why you would soak the almonds to remove the enzymes but why don’t you have to soak the almonds for almond butter to remove the enzymes? Thanks!

In theory, you’d soak the almonds before making almond butter, too. But, then you’d have to dry the almonds really, really well before grinding them into butter, because any added moisture can ruin the results. I don’t have the time or patience for that, so it doesn’t happen too often in my house, even if it would be slightly easier to digest.

47. chanel

Thanks so much for this. I have 2 yr old twins who are dairy and soy intolerant and drink almond milk. At $3.55 a litre here in Australia and having a litre a day is so expensive. Hopefully his will work out much cheaper…just need to source a a nut bag and container. I have a Bellini similar to a Thermomix so hoping it will work in that.

48. Siew

thanks for the recipe.. Really awesome dessert that my whole family has been craving for..
    Just one question , why my almond milk is lumpy instead of a smooth consistency ?

Did you strain out the pulp? The only thing that should be left is the liquid milk, which is smooth.

49. Pingback: Pineapple Whip

50. Grace

I just found this recipe and I love it!! I have made it about 4 times now. It turns out great using my Ninja. I have been using it when I make my oatmeal and it makes it so creamy. Thanks.

51. Jean

I’ve no time for messing around with a nut bag. I just place a bowl under a fine sieve, and pour the blended almond mixture through the seine. It jtakes only a few moments, with no messy clean up.

52. Janette

I was searching the Web for a homemade almond butter recipe and found your wonderful website. Thanks for sharing your experience, ideas and recipes. I want to also try making my own Almond milk. I am from Iran and traditionally we soak almonds overnight and peel and discard the skin before eating. My question is, do you peel the almonds prior to processing with fresh water?
    Thanks again

53. Celeste

You once recommended a few sites that used true organic nuts that were processed in a healthy way. etc. I can’t find it now that I’m ready to start making my own milk, etc. would you please send them to me? Thank you, Celeste