Raw Almond Butter Cups

Raw Almond Butter Cups
makes 3 pieces

1 Tablespoon coconut oil, in liquid form
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (not technically raw, but the flavor is great– substitute if desired!)
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of salt
3 teaspoons raw almond butter, or peanut butter

*optional: 3 banana slices

Combine the first four ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth, to create the chocolate shell.

*Optional: Place a slice of banana in the middle, for an “Elvis-style” peanut butter cup!

Whether you’re using the banana or not, place the bottom layer in the freezer to harden–> just a few minutes should do the trick.

Once the bottom layer is solid, it’s time to add the nut butter!

You want enough nut butter for a creamy center, but try to keep it in the middle– so that the chocolate you pour over the top will cover the sides. I used almond butter, but if you really want to keep this Elvis-themed, go for the peanut butter.

Cover the nut butter with the remainder of the raw chocolate mixture.

Then pop in the freezer! The chocolate should be set in about 10 minutes.

If allowed to freeze overnight, the banana will freeze into an ice-cream texture!

(Though, I’m usually too impatient to let these freeze overnight…)

Even if your almond butter runs to the edge, and your chocolate doesn’t totally cover the sides…

…I don’t think you’ll get any complaints about it.

Raw Almond Butter Cups
Serves: 1-3

An easy, homemade version of your favorite peanut butter cups-- with a healthy twist!
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, in liquid form
  • 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (not technically raw, but the flavor is great-- substitute if desired!)
  • 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • pinch of salt
  • Nut butter of choice (I prefer salted almond butter)
  • *optional: banana slices (or fruit of choice)
  1. Combine the first four ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth, to create the chocolate mixture.
  2. Fill 3 mini-cupcake liners with enough chocolate to cover the bottom (about a teaspoon).
  3. Optional: Place a slice of banana in the middle, for an "Elvis-style" peanut butter cup.
  4. Place the bottom layer in the freezer to harden-- just a few minutes should do the trick.
  5. Once the bottom layer is solid, it's time to add a dollop of nut butter! Use enough nut butter for a creamy center, but try to keep it in the middle-- so that the chocolate you pour on top will cover the sides! I used almond butter, but if you really want to keep this Elvis-themed, go for the peanut butter!!
  6. Cover the nut butter with the remainder of your raw chocolate, then place in the freezer to set. The chocolate should be solid in just 10 minutes, but for a truly solid center, waiting 4-6 hours is recommended. If you add the banana slice, freeze overnight for an ice-cream like center.
  7. Store any extras in the freezer, and serve chilled!

Enjoy!

Comments

1. says

Mmmmm. I love making raw peanut butter cups like this, but I have never thought to add a banana slice! Thats so genius! Mmmm I wish I had bananas right now, I would totally make these! Bookmarked for sure ;)

2. says

“sipping on a hot beverage– whether it’s tea or coffee– helps keep me calm with my wits about me”–

ME TOO!!!!

I recently posted that eating bananas alone/plain lately just kinda are meh for me. But that IN recipes, i love them. And ok, I seriously would have NEVER thought to do that, that it could make it better…but yes, totally looks like a winner of a recipe!!!! :)

3. Jocelyn says

Okay, so I just read about your whole Halloween weekend. I believe I found your blog from Averie’s. You crack me up!! I just LOVE how you didn’t get discouraged with each attempted “candy” and kept trying! I just yesterday made Chocolate-Mint “Ice-Cream” Cups with my silicone muffin liners. LOVE THEM!! The dessert and the liners! They peel away with such ease! Good job too with avoiding the junk! I myself didn’t have a spec of junk…yay me! ;) LOL! I feel great though, and crave nothing. Yipeee! I enjoy reading your posts!

• says

Coconut oil is unique in the fact that it hardens when chilled. The only thing I can think of that would work as a substitute would be butter!

Hope that helps!

4. Holly says

Just made these with stevia instead of the maple syrup… so delicious. Could maybe use a drop of honey on top of the almond butter before the next layer of chocolate but that’s just because I didn’t add enough stevia. Still super addictive and I love how they look exactly like the store bought version, cute!

5. Marcia says

I just made these with a pinch of cinnamon and cayenne added to the chocolate mixture – yum! Thanks for all of the great recipes. Made your peanut butter freezer fudge recently and it’s also a bit hit!

6. says

Wow, this looks really good especially with the banana slice in them, thanks for sharing! I can’t have peanuts so it’s definitely the almond butter version for me, I always have a jar of homemade almond butter in my fridge.

7. Deshia says

These were amazing! I had to make double the batter because I only had regular size cupcake wrappers. Reese’s are my favorite candy. I think these are so much better and richer!

8. says

Oh my, oh my! These are so good!! Unfortunately for me, I need to make these again to try and add more peanut butter to make a better balance. But the chocolate was dark, rich, creamy, and amazing. Great idea! My kids will love these (when I make them again, since I just ate all 3).

9. Meigen says

These things are amazing! My go to snack when I am craving something sweet at night. I have used unsweetened coconut to make a mini Mounds bar too! I have also used pomegranate seeds instead of peanut butter, but pb or coconut is the best!

10. Katie says

These are delicious. I personally love the Elvis style ones (peanut butter fanatic who’s trying not to eat peanut butter!), and my boyfriend loves them with almond butter and some toasted coconut sprinkled on top before putting them into the freezer. Thanks for the great recipe!

11. Jenny says

Love this! I wanted to make something for dessert with what I had in the house so I used your Salted Raw Caramel Dip recipe, replacing the almond milk with coconut milk and adding shredded coconut after processing. I used this for the filling instead of almond butter to make a healthier “Mounds” bar. It came out really well. Thanks for all the great ideas. I make recipes off your blog almost daily.

12. bethany littleton says

Once they’ve been frozen and have set (not usig the banana) can you store them in the fridge or room temperature or will they melt?xx

13. bethany littleton says

Thank you :) made them and my friend said she had a foodgasm and that thy were so incredible words cant describe and one of the best things shes ever tasted so thank you so much xx

14. Lindsey says

These cups are to die for! I just use peanut butter, and I use regular cupcake cups to make BIG ones!! Ultimate indulgence but not breaking my vegan/clean diet. The text of the chocolate when eating about 20-30 minutes after freezing is like a dense cake… Amazing.

15. Deebi says

This tasted pretty good but wondering what I did wrong with raw cocoa shell. Followed exact ingredients and recipe but it was very thick and impossible to pour and hard to spread. I tried adding more coconut oil to thin out but that didn’t work:(

Trackbacks