Raw Chocolate-Swirl Cheesecake Bars

Whether you’re throwing a Super Bowl party tomorrow or not, you should make these ASAP:

Chocolate + Cheesecake = a match made in Heaven.

And since these are all-natural, raw and vegan– you can go back for seconds guilt-free!!

Raw Chocolate-Swirl Cheesecake Bars
Makes about 9-12 squares

Chocolate Crust:

1 cup raw pecans
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

In a mini-food processor (I use this one), process the pecans until they are crumbly:

Be careful not to process too long– you don’t want pecan butter!! Well, maybe you do… but not for this recipe.

Add in the rest of the crust ingredients, and process until thoroughly combined, scraping down the sides if necessary. Then transfer the crust to a square 6″ Tupperware, lined with plastic-wrap, and press down evenly.

Place the crust in the freezer to set for at least 10 minutes, while you make the cheesecake filling.

Cheesecake filling:

1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour
1/2 cup zucchini, peeled and chopped
2 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup honey (or agave, for vegans)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Throw all of the ingredients into a blender (note: if you’re using a high-powered blender, like the Vita-Mix, you can skip soaking the cashews!) and blend until silky smooth. Pour the filling over the chocolate crust and smooth the top, using a spatula:

Now it’s time for the fun part–> adding the chocolate swirls!!!

Chocolate Swirl:

2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 Tablespoon coconut oil, in liquid form

Whisk the ingredients together until smooth:

Next, using a spoon, gently pour 3-4 lines across the cheesecake bars:

It’s okay if it’s messy, because you’ll be dragging a knife through those lines next! With a light touch, drag a knife back and forth perpendicularly to the lines you made– creating a marbled look like this:

Don’t they look like little hearts? Perfect for Valentine’s Day!! 😀

Once your cheesecake bars are “swirled” to your liking, place them in the freezer to set for at least 4 hours. When they are firm, you can slice and serve chilled!

Be sure to store these in the freezer– they will melt quickly at room temperature!

Don’t worry, these taste so good, they won’t last long on a plate anyway…

Enjoy!!

Comments

1. Jennifer says

I am absolutely addicted! This was my first experience making a raw dessert and quite frankly they are better then the majority of cheese cakes I have eaten. I acutally doubled the entire recipe to make a thicker bar– it just took a full overnight in the freezer to firm up.

2. Claudine says

I have made and loved a few of your recipes but this one is my absolute favorite! You’re simply the best! They were not as pretty as yours but they taste amazing!!! Now, I have something pretty and tasty to share. This is a blessing! Thanks a lot for sharing your creativity with us (some of us are not as successful at being creative).

3. Sandra says

I just made these to “celebrate” cutting out dairy — I am ecstatic with them! With recipes like this I may never miss dairy. My five year old asked me to give him the recipe when he grows up, haha!
    I did find they tasted even better after a night in the freezer. Or maybe it was just like the first bite all over again…And I subbed banana since there was no zucchini in the fridge.

4. Brenda says

These bars are so delicious and super filling. I ate one for a mid-morning snack and I wasn’t hungry again for hours. I was bragging to my twin sister about my healthy cheesecake and she said she knows you from back in day at Milton’s. Apparently you look a bit like her too;)
    Thanks for all the great recipes! Everything I’ve made has been fabulous.

5. Peter says

My sister made these using cacoa instead of cocoa. To adjust for any additional bitterness from the raw cacoa, she just added an extra 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.

Cheers for this excellent recipe Megan!

• Megan says

I have no idea! You might be better off starting with a recipe that calls for cream cheese to begin with, but please let us know if you have any success.

6. Sonia says

You know…they actually DO taste like cheese cake. They are delish! Thanks again for all these wonderful recipes…i’m slowly making my way through them and enjoying every bite :)

7. Anna says

I have been eyeing this recipe up for months now and just got a vitamix a few weeks ago so finally able to give a lot of your amazing recipes a try! I tripled this and made it in a 9×13 for a crowd! Huge hit, even with my father who gives me a really hard time for my “horse feed healthy” eating habits! Thank you!

8. Teresa says

Wow, wow, wow!!! I found your website as I was looking for some recipes involving raw zucchini. This is one of the most exciting things I’ve done with zucchini. I’m going to try your classic raw cheesecake next. Thanks so much for sharing your cooking talents!

9. Cynthia says

What is the purpose of the lemon juice? I am allergic to citrus, can I leave it out or do I need to substitute something, maybe vinegar? Thanks for the great recipes!

10. Gretchen says

I’d love to make these but the only nuts I can eat are walnuts. if you have a suggestion for making them without the pecans and cashews, I’d love to try them. Thank you.

11. Amber says

Hi! These look delicious!! I was wondering if a Ninja blender is considered “high powered” enough to not have to soak the cashews. Thanks so much!

12. arcadia says

These look divine! Can I ask what purpose the zucchini serves? Is there anything I could use as a substitute please? It’s hard to get zucchini here :( thankyou

13. Judith says

Megan, how come your recipes call for sweeteners ? everything I’ve read about food combining says ditch all sweeteners except pure stevia.

• Megan says

I prefer not to be militant with food combining principles, as I think it can quickly turn into an obsession. I personally can’t imagine not enjoying something sweet every now and then, so I choose to enjoy naturally sweetened treats made with high-quality ingredients when my sweet tooth strikes. This approach works well for me and my clients, while still seeing fantastic results, without any feelings of restriction or deprivation. I did try using stevia exclusively for a while, but over time I didn’t feel that it was a good fit for me.

14. Leon says

Tried this recipe and it is indeed delicious and rich. Thank you Megan for yet another amazing recipe. Also, it’s very easy to make, plus plus plus on this one.

15. Vaneta says

Dumbfounded! How can anything this simple to make taste so fabulous yet alone like cheese cake! Thank you for sharing this amazing cheese cake recipe! Ours never really firmed up as hard as we expected it too, still on the soft side, not as a frozen dessert usually is however we are all enjoying it! Again, our many thanks!

16. says

OMG! These are delish. This is my first recipe from your site and my friends and family love it. Thank you so much for sharing your gift and I look forward to trying more.

17. Leah says

I have recently become obsessed with your website. Thank you so much for all the incredible recipes and articles! I tried these cheesecake bars yesterday. I used a muffin tin, because I didn’t have a Tupperware container the size you recommended. Mini cheesecakes! They are to die for. I haven’t had cheesecake in YEARS because I am violently lactose intolerant…this recipe seriously made my day…my week! Maybe my month! My dairy-loving, cheesecake loving husband was crazy about these delicious morsels as well.

Thank you!! I cant wait to try more of your recipes.

18. natalie says

these are so great! i substituted the chocolate topping for a raspberry swirl (3 oz fresh raspberries and just a touch of agave processed in my vitamix). i forgot to peel the zucchini, but that just made for a fun color combo! thanks – your recipes are amazing!!

19. Aziz says

I made these and loved them so much. Before that I was hooked to these nanimo bars http://mylivingnutrition.com/2013/09/21/nanaimo-bars/ But I found your cheesecake to be less rich and I’m guessing lower in calories to. Taste wise, I think your cheesecake wins out. You’re so awesome Megan. Thanks so much for sharing, it’s much appreciated. I am such a sugar addict and am trying to wean myself slowly off sugar by incorporating more sugarfree desserts that are just as tasty and will fool my taste buds into not craving sugar.

20. says

I was looking for some healthy cheesecake recipe and I absolutely LOVE this! I found this recipe 3 weeks ago and I already made it 3 times! My family cant stop eating those! Fact that there is zucchini in it -blows everybody’s mind away!

21. Valerie says

HELLO! THANK YOU FOR THAT RECIPE!
    It was awesome, creamy and delicious! My chocolate swirl went a little bit too solid in the freezer but it still tasted amazing and gave it a little crunch!

I tried your cauliflower pizza crust at the same time, and it was AMAZING! way easier that others that I’ve tried and I feel the goat cheese gives it an awesome taste! :) :) !!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much. This is how I love eating whole food. Your recipes are always made with ingredients we all have !!!

22. Pnina says

It looks delicious, but want can I change. My daughter allergic to nuts and would like to put cream cheese. If I take the nuts what can i put instead?

23. Joy says

I was wondering if you can substitute lime juice for the lemon juice, and if the measurements would be the same. My dad’s allergic to lemons.

24. Sandy says

I made these the other day exactly as written and they are amazing! I am so impressed with these recipes! I have made a few already. I am trying to eat healthier and your site is the best!

• Missy B says

I was getting ready to post the exact thing you just posted Sandy. I too am new to all this. Eating clean for a month (no sugar)
      and feel wonderful. Made these twice and love love love them! Don’t know what i would do without this site!

25. John says

This cheesecake is heavenly and such a hit. I made some for my sister and she loved it so much, she always begs me to make more for her, LOL. One thing I did that worked better than I thought it would, was using Manuka Honey instead of regular honey to make it even healthier. I thought, this substitution would ruin the flavour. Much to my suprise, it tastes as good if not better. I think the lemon juice helped temper the unique taste of the Manuka Honey, so it wasn’t noticeable. Thanks again Megan for sharing :)

26. Missy says

I make these once a month. Not sure where I would be without someone like you coming up with these recipes. I had a lot of health issues that are disappearing since I’ve been eating healthier. Just wanted to make sure you knew how much I love your recipes!!! You’re awesome!

27. Melissa says

These are SO GOOD!!! I made them for a family dinner & they were a hit :) They make a great presentation too because of the yummy chocolate swirl on top!

28. Alice says

Hi, these look amazing, I need substitutes for the pecans and zucchini in your recipe due to allergies. Often the recommendation is to replace pecans with walnuts or almonds. I can’t do walnuts but can do almonds. I’m a bit stumped on zucchini though. Thanks!

29. Mairead Glass says

Hi!

Your blog is great- I’ve really enjoyed your recipes. I tried this today for the second time and while they came out great, I can’t quite decide what I should change. I don’t feel that the lemon juice flavor mixes well with the chocolate- I think the flavors compete. What else could I use in place of the lemon juice? Does it serve a particular purpose?
    Thanks for all of your great recipes!

30. krissy says

We just made your chocolate cheesecake and loved it so much….so we are trying these and the strawberry cheesecake squares now. Noticed the all chocolate version uses maple syrup and these honey. Can the two be subbed or is there a difference? Can’t wait to make more versions they are great!

Trackbacks