Sweet Potato Mac n’ Cheeze

Time for another comfort food makeover! SONY DSC

Many of you already have enjoyed my cashew-based vegan “cheese” sauce, but today I wanted to attempt a nut-free vegan, cheese sauce–> one that would be properly combined when enjoyed with a high-quality pasta!

The star of the show?SONY DSC

A sweet potato! (a white-fleshed sweet potato… which seems a little less sweet to me than the orange-fleshed variety)

You could probably use any type of potato for this recipe, but I like the extra nutritional bang from using the sweet variety.

Sweet Potato Mac n' Cheeze
Serves: 4

A creamy, dairy-free "cheese" sauce that's perfect over noodles or veggies!
  • 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into chunks
  • 1 cup unflavored almond milk
  • ¼ cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • pasta of choice, cooked as directed
  1. In a small sauce pan, steam the sweet potato chunks until tender, about 10 minutes. Mash the cooked potato with a fork, then measure out one cup of mashed sweet potato for the sauce.
  2. Add the one cup of mashed sweet potato to your blender, along with the rest of your sauce ingredients, then blend on high, until smooth and creamy!
  3. Adjust the seasonings to taste, then serve over a bowl of your favorite piping-hot pasta!

If you don’t use up all of the “cheese sauce” in one dish, you can save the leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.

I plan on enjoying my leftover sauce over some steamed veggies for dinner tonight!

Enjoy!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

56 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Mac n’ Cheeze

1. Meredith

I made this tonight….poured it over roasted spaghetti squash and added sauteed mushrooms and spinach. It was soooo delicious! Thank you!

2. Marlena Torres

Megan, This is totally genius! I am absolutely going to try this. I bet it would be delicious with zucchini pasta as well!

I’m also a huge fan of white sweet potatoes. I started eating them last fall and sometimes I actually enjoy them much more than orange sweets/yams.

3. Carole

This was awesome! I used a left over baked sweet potato. A little sweeter but the color was perfect for real cheese. The kids loved it. Thanks!

4. Gabriela

Ok I made this and it was sooooo easy and amazingly delicious!!!! a 4 year old, a 7 seven year old and a 14 year old that thinks he knows everything and that cannot be fooled, absolutely loved it!!!!!! This and many of your recipes are becoming regulars in my house. The best part is that seriously my kids love almost all of them too. thank you!!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!

5. Sarah

This looks SO good! Do you think I could make it without the nutritional yeast?? I don’t have any on hand right now, but have all the other ingredients. Love your site and all your recipes! Thank you!

The nutritional yeast does contribute the “cheesy” flavor, but I’m sure it would be a delicious sauce without it, too! Hope you enjoy it! πŸ™‚

6. Sarah

Well, I made it without the nutritional yeast and it was delicious! Everyone in my family devoured it. Thank you for sharing a great recipe!! Next time I’ll try it with the yeast to see how that is. Thanks!!

7. Alta

Thanks for a nut-free mac ‘n’ cheese sauce! My grandson is deathly allergic to nuts and this would be one I could serve to him. Question: are the white sweet potatoes as rich in beta-carotene as the orange ones?

8. Pingback: Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese - T H E 6 T H F L O O R

9. Pingback: Recipe: Sweet Potato Mac ‘n’ Cheese « deutsch, bitte!

1. SoarAway

I was going to ask the same thing. πŸ™‚ I make my own rice milk (so much cheaper than store-bought and easier than almond milk – no straining!) on a regular basis. 1 c cooked rice + 4 c filtered water + 1 tbsp sweetener + 1 pinch salt -> 4 minutes in a blender (2 minutes if you have a high speed blender like a vitamix)… and you have rice milk! I will have to try this one soon!

10. Pingback: Sunny Days + (Vegan) Sweet Potato Mac + ‘Cheese’ | cucina nicolina

11. Pingback: Sweet Potato Mac and “Cheese” | Produce on Parade

12. Sunniva

This was so delicious! I was looking for an easy vegan mac/cheese recipe, and fell in love with this wholefoody and easy recipe. I used regular orange sweet potato, 1/5 small onion instead of powder, cayenne for the chili and forgot the lemon, but I loved it anyways. Thank you!

13. Pingback: Sweet Potato Mac and "Cheese" | Produce On Parade

14. Stephanie

OMG! This is so perfect! I made it with an orange sweet potato (yam) and it looks just like regular mac & cheese. Thank you so much for making a cheese sauce without nuts!

15. Living Outside of the Box

WOW! Can I just say, WOW?!! I have TRIED and TRIED to find a mac and cheese recipe I like (sans cheese), and I have never had success! THIS WAS AWESOME. Seriously–all picky kids and adults liked it! It will be a regular!! Thank you!!

16. SoarAway

Made this for dinner tonight! It’s so yummy!! And very quick and easy to make.
    I used homemade rice milk and an orange sweet potato… gave it a nice “cheese” color that could fool anyone.
    I put it over a mix of pasta (spiral shape catches the sauce nicely) and steamed veggies (broccolini, asparagus, and pattypan squash). Yum!

17. Maggie

This looks great! Do you have any suggestions on the best kind of nutritional yeast, or the cheesiest tasting? I was at a restaurant recently and we were served the most delicious nutritional yeast ever – so much better than anything my parents or I have found. Thanks!!

18. Aleta

Hi everyone,
    I have tried the nutritional yeast many times. And I get feeling so sick after I have some. I did try your “Mac & Cheese” and I had an upset stomach for a few hrs. after. I can eat the other things in the mix but I think the yeast is the one that is making me feel sick.
    Any ideas as to what I can use instead? I want to eat this healthier way, I just can do the nutritional yeast.

πŸ™
    Please let me know.
    Thanks

19. Melanie M

This was SO GOOD! I’m never making regular mac ‘n’ cheese again! I don’t eat vegan, so I didn’t use the nutritional yeast. Instead, I used some organic Wisconsin sharp cheddar (from Whole Foods). I also forgot to put the lemon juice in, and I did add a bit more salt. This was such a great gluten-free and HEALTHY alternative to the regular American staple food.

20. Michelle H.

Hi, I’m new to your site, but LOVING your recipes. Ive never heard of nutritional yeast befire though. Is it different from the packets of yeast you can get to make dough? Thanks again! Trying your avacado truffle recipe this afternoon! πŸ™‚

It’s definitely different from active yeast, which is used in baking. Nutritional yeast is deactivated and has a “cheesy” flavor– you can find it in the supplement or spice section at grocery stores, or online: http://amzn.to/1jCGH9X

21. Lorrie

Seriously, we made this exactly as the recipe is written and it did not taste like cheese in any way. What did we do wrong? πŸ™

22. Carol Murphy

Hello, I have troube posting your recipes on facebook. Is there a reason for that that you know of? I wanted to share it with my friends but it won’t let me. Carol

23. Cat

I made this first as instructed but found that it had an odd taste and after taste. I realized it was the almond milk so I eliminated the almond milk, increased the lemon juice (small whole lemon) and salt, added chopped half onion and three minced cloves of garlic (instead of onion powder) and a teaspoon of yellow mustard. For some heat, I added a lot of cayenne pepper and black pepper. I combined all ingredients over low heat then mixed it with spaghetti squash, roasted cauliflower and sauteed mushrooms in a rectangle casserole dish. Sprinkled more nutritional yeast on top. Baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. AMAZING!! Thank you for this recipe. I could never have made my own version had it not been for your recipe. Again thank you for sharing.

We usually use an 8oz. box, but sometimes there’s leftover sauce. It will depend on how “saucy” you like your noodles!

24. Philip Pickard

This looks great! I tend to stock up on canned coconut milk; do you think that’d work instead of the almond milk? What about a cup of canned sweet potato?

25. Chelsie

I just made this tonight but I didn’t have a white sweet potato so I used butternut squash puree instead! The kids loved it! Yay! Thank you for doing a nut free version!