Please note: I’ve recently posted an updated recipe for this Vegan Almond Flour Banana Bread. I think the new recipe produces better results than the version below, but I’m leaving this one here in case some of you still prefer it.
Made with almond meal, freshly ground chia seeds, and overripe bananas, this tender banana bread packs a punch of protein, fiber and relatively little sugar, making it perfect for a quick breakfast or a sweet mid-afternoon snack.
In my experience, eggs are usually required for “structure” in almond-flour baked goodies, but the bananas and chia seeds work well as a binder in this particular mix–> making this bread not only vegan-friendly, but also properly combined.
And it still tastes like you’re eating cake. Win, win!
Almond Flour Banana Bread (vegan-friendly)
This tender banana bread packs a punch of protein, fiber and relatively little sugar, making it perfect for a quick breakfast or a sweet mid-afternoon snack.
- 3 cups almond meal , or almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons freshly ground chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 very ripe bananas , about 3/4 cup mashed
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup, for vegans)
- coconut oil , for greasing pan
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan well.
- Using a coffee or spice grinder, grind the chia seeds first, then measure what you need for the recipe. (I measured out 1/4 cup of seeds before grinding, which turned out to be more than what I needed after they were ground.)
- Mix 1/4 cup of the ground chia seeds with 3/4 cup water, and allow to sit in the fridge for 15 minutes to gel into "chia eggs."
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl, add the chilled chia eggs, and mix well until a batter is formed.
- Transfer to the greased loaf pan, and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the golden brown and when a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice and serve!
Hope you all enjoy!
Reader Feedback: What was your favorite breakfast as a child? Are you a banana bread fan?