What I Ate Wednesday

It’s been a busy week around here. While I definitely prefer being busy over being bored, I’ve had less time in the kitchen this week than I’d like to come up with any sort of creative meal ideas.

After dealing with my fair share of rushed meals, however, I think I can firmly attest to the fact that healthy meals are just as fast– if not faster— than traditional “fast food.”

It’s also nice to NOT be in a food coma with deadlines looming over your head.

Breakfast

Un-pictured: water, probiotics, black tea

An entire box of organic strawberries. (Whole Foods had a good sale on them this weekend, so I’ve stocked up!)

Fresh fruit is the ultimate “fast food.” Just rinse and eat!

Lunch

Un-Pictured: 1 teaspoon cod liver oil (something new I’m trying… it’s not as gross as it sounds.)

Homemade Egg Salad–> made with steamed eggs (I steamed a bunch this weekend, so they’d be ready for a quick meal), goat’s milk yogurt, Dijon mustard and diced cucumbers. Served in fresh romaine leaves!

Dinner

Un-pictured: Raw red pepper slices– I’ve been eating an entire bell pepper while prepping dinner lately.

Normally, I like to have at least two courses at dinner–> usually a large salad, plus a side of cooked veggies and/or protein. Last night, I combined them into one big bowl, and it was one of the best things I’ve eaten in a long time! Sauteed mushrooms, cooked in a bit of grass-fed butter and garlic, plus wilted spinach over a bed of mixed greens… with a generous topping of raw goat feta, lemon juice and mustard. So good.

Dessert

Dark chocolate! I was proud of my portion control– I managed to only eat half a bar. πŸ˜‰

Your turn!

What are YOU eating this week? Any favorite “fast” meal ideas to share?

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

28 thoughts on “What I Ate Wednesday

1. Emily

I’ll be interested in how you feel after taking the cod liver oil for a while. I have no doubt you have bought the freshest & best available, but I did also note Kimberley Snyder wrote a post on it recently, saying a lot is rancid – I guess if it is the capsules might smell? I am experimenting with different oils a bit too, mixing it up a little by using avocado oil, coconut oil and macadamia oil at the moment. Having them in my diet at the moment seems to be working for me right now, so I’m listening πŸ™‚ Macadamia oil with lime juice over greens is heavenly!

I read that post from Kimberly Snyder, too. That’s one reason why I take the oil straight by the teaspoon, rather than in capsules, so I can smell and taste it to make sure it’s not rancid.

Macadamia oil and lime juice sounds like an amazing combo! πŸ˜‰

2. LizAshlee

I love the egg salad on romaine leaves..sounds so different and yummy…I am going to try that this evening!! In addition to my tasty salads and veggie collard wraps, I have been making buckwheat granola for a change…something got into me where I just needed something that resembled a grain…pretty tasty but I probably wont’ be making it too much…I feel it’s more difficult for my system to break down…

Happy Wednesday!

Mmm… that granola sounds delicious! Have you ever tried Lydia’s Raw Grain-less Granola? It makes a fantastic substitute when a craving hits, too! I love it with almond milk and sliced bananas. πŸ™‚

3. Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat

I do the same thing as you with the peppers when I cook, although they get a little pricey so I tend to munch on carrots too. I bet you’re getting plenty of vitamin C! Let me know if you notice any differences in how you feel with the cod liver oil. I currently take an omega 3 supplement but have been considering fish oils for a while. Have a lovely day!

I’ll be sure to let you know! I’m on my third brand of fish-oil supplements, so I’ll probably do an update sometime soon. πŸ˜‰

4. sam

Fermented cod liver oil from Green pastured can not be rancid cause it has never been heated. It is number one food }not supplement} that many doctors recommended to eat Chris Kresses, Natasha McBride, Weston A Price, Jack Kruse etc. I am taking cod liver oil butter oil blend for vitamin k2. It is also need to be known that cod liver oil is first as fat soluable vitamins source than DHA EPA source. Kim Snyder is not doctor, she is great I have her book but if you have done research you will find that vegan diet is not perfect. You missing Vitamin A,D, DHA EPA B12. I was there and never want to come back. Also Chris Kresser and Natasha Mc Bride are strongly against vegan diet….. For exapmle too boost fertility you need cholesterol cause our hormens is made of them. Megan I love our food megan also grass fed butter:-) I buy the raw one and it is the best butter I have ever eat so so good. My little one eat it by spoon. Megan have you ever tried liver cleanse by olive oil and lemon juice? Does it really work? I have been making real bone meat broth everyone loves it.

No, I’ve never tried a liver cleanse! That sounds a little drastic for me, personally, and I have no idea how you’d be able to tell if it’s really “working?” I think sticking to an overall healthy lifestyle is usually the best way to go.

5. carmen

I, too, take the Green Pasture cod liver oil / butter oil blend. I tried other forms. But, I’m only consistent with the capsules. This and another post you did recently has me wondering if you have read “Eat Fat, Lose Fat”. It is a great book.

I’ve never read that book, but it sounds like I’d like it! I definitely believe in eating plenty of healthy fats, and that we don’t get “fat” by eating fat! Thanks for the recommendation. πŸ™‚

6. jeanne

I never thought to put yogurt in egg salad…great mayo substitute!

My go-to fast food is half a bag of mixed greens, half an avocado, grape tomatoes, cucumber, steamed broccoli or brussels sprouts and some kind of protein with lemon and salt. Sometimes I sub olive oil for the avo. Basically the trader joe produce aisle thrown into a giant salad πŸ™‚

7. Pure2raw twins

we are eating lots of fruit lately πŸ™‚ enjoying it, especially this time of the year. we enjoy fermented cod liver oil, we have about 1/2 tsp everyday, so far we are liking it.

8. Lauren

I love combining all of my dinner components into one dish! I always eat dinner salads that way and I recently started experimenting with soups. For example, when I eat tomato soup, I add other ingredients to make it more substantial – my favorite combination is braised kale, roasted red peppers (I usually roast my own), broccoli or asparagus, sprouts, a protein, and a cheese (I love feta, parm, or plain goat). My favorite proteins include a poached egg (it is even better when you poach the egg in the soup), kelp, or quinoa. I have also added your broccoli pesto in place of the broccoli or asparagus and it was amazing πŸ™‚

I have had success with a lot of soups and I believe that it is all about finding the appropriate flavor combinations. Let me know if you experiment with soups, and if so, your favorite ingredient combinations.

Happy experimenting πŸ™‚

Yum, I love all the tomato soup add-ins! I’ve never tried a poached egg in soup before, but it sounds like an intriguing idea!

9. Sara

I stumbled across your blog with looking for great ideas for my family’s change to a healthy lifestyle. All I can say is YUM! I can’t wait to try most of these!!!

I think the portions look great. We are noticing as a whole that the better we eat (more raw and fresh less processed and junk) that we eat less overall… We eat more often, but the total quantity of food is smaller (if that makes sense). But even if we do have a larger helping it’s OK. Extra strawberries is a whole lot better than extra Oreo cookies πŸ˜‰

Thanks for a wonderful blog!!!

Thanks, Sara! I definitely feel more satisfied eating this way, especially compared to when I was eating more processed foods and counting calories. Nourishing foods make a big difference!

10. carrie

I’m making this egg salad tonight! You have the best recipes. It seems that you eat like I do. Simple combinations using whatever’s in the fridge at the moment – substituting when necessary to have proper food combining or to make a classic recipe healthier. I eat less chocolate and more meat though. I just did a 3 day juice fast and am considering keeping my meat intake low for a while to extend the benefits.

What’s your favorite green juice recipe? I never did make one I loved. So far carrots (about 5) and kale (dino,1 bunch, about 6-7 leaves) and one small beet with greens is the best I made. I put too much celery, parsley, ginger, lemon, or cucumber into others. Any advice?

Thanks, Carrie! I’ve been eating less chocolate and more protein lately, too– there must be something about the season. πŸ˜‰

I don’t necessarily follow a recipe for my green juices, but my usual mix lately includes half an English cucumber (about 6-8 inches), a Romaine heart, 5-6 carrots, 4-5 kale leaves and a whole lemon. And I always drink them with a glass straw! For some reason, the glass straw really does make everything taste better.

1. Carrie

Do you put the bitter yellow pieces of romaine in too? I’ll check out glass straws. I saw your post about giving them as gifts to your family πŸ™‚ I thought that was a great idea. Where did you get them from?

1. Carrie

I found the straws link. I’m going to order some. I don’t like using plastic anything if I can help it. Still weaning off the plastic food storage by slowly incorporating glass. I never reheat food in them though. I try to teach others that when I have the opportunity.

I’m glad you found the glass straws link! They are seriously a life-changer. πŸ™‚ My whole family is obsessed with them now, too!

We made the switch to glass storage containers, as well, which has made re-heating food so easy. We just take the lids off and pop leftovers into our oven! The only downside is that they’re more breakable… but I’ve only had that happen once so far. *knock on wood*

Oh, and I didn’t know there were bitter yellow pieces in romaine? I’ve never noticed! I just cut off the gross-looking bottom chunk, and juice the whole thing!

11. Lisa

Goat cheese is THE best! Love. I’ve never tried cod liver oil, sounds interesting! Are there a lot of benefits from doing that? I’ve heard that swishing oil in your mouth is really good for digestion. And love the sounds of that egg salad, yum.