Grain-Free Blueberry Crisp

Blueberry crisp is the perfect summertime dessert, if you ask me.

Featuring ripe, juicy blueberries, this version calls for much less sugar than traditional recipes… because it’s unnecessary! The naturally sweet blueberries shine on their own, complimented by a tender, crumbly topping. Lightly sweetened with honey, and loaded with protein-rich almond flour, this summery dessert won’t leave you too tired to go out for a swim later!

And we have my mom to thank, for sharing it with us today.

Grain-free Blueberry Crisp
fills one 2-quart baking dish

adapted from The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook

Filling:

4 cups blueberries
1/2 t. cinnamon

Topping:

1 cup blanched almond flour (store-bought or homemade)
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup raw honey

Preheat oven to 350F. Rinse blueberries well, then place them in the 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.

Mix almond flour with sea salt and baking soda in a large bowl, until well mixed.  Stir in the unsweetened shredded coconut and walnuts.

Melt the coconut oil, in a small pan over low heat, then add the honey to just barely melt the honey enough to mix it in.  Stir the melted mixture into the almond flour mixture until well-blended, then crumble the almond flour mixture over the berries.

Bake for about 30 minutes until topping is golden brown.

Cut into squares to serve!

Grain-Free Blueberry Crisp
Cook time:
Serves: 16-20

Featuring ripe, juicy blueberries, this summertime dessert calls for much less sugar than traditional recipes... because it's unnecessary! The naturally sweet blueberries shine on their own, complimented by a tender, grain-free topping.
  • 4 cups ripe blueberries
  • ½ t. cinnamon
  • 1 cup blanched almond flour (store-bought or homemade)
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
  • ½ cup coconut oil, melted
  • ¼ cup raw honey
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Rinse blueberries well, then place them in the 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
  3. Mix almond flour with sea salt and baking soda in a large bowl, until well mixed. Stir in the unsweetened shredded coconut and walnuts.
  4. Melt the coconut oil, in a small pan over low heat, then add the honey to just barely melt the honey enough to mix it in.
  5. Stir the melted mixture into the almond flour mixture until well-blended, then crumble the almond flour mixture over the berries.
  6. Bake for about 30 minutes until topping is golden brown.
  7. Cut into squares to serve!

Hope you all enjoy it this summer!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite summertime dessert?

Comments

1. says

That looks really yummy!

Favorite summertime dessert? Probably an ice cream cone from some place with homemade ice cream, especially if I’m on vacation. I think that comes from my childhood when we’d go to the beach and get a cone. Makes me feel like a kid!

2. jeanne says

These look delicious, I can’t wait to make! My grandma used to bake something similar she called blueberry buckle, although it was made with crisco, flour, and sugar!

I love your grain free baking. When I gave up grains I thought it was going to be impossible…oatmeal! Brown rice! But it’s been so easy, I don’t even want those things anymore :)

My main problem is that I’ve been getting some stomach aches from nuts lately which makes me cry a little bit on the inside because I love nuts so much! I can only do a little bit at a time now.

• says

My mom calls hers “Blueberry Betty!” I decided to call it Blueberry Crisp, because it sounded more familiar. 😉

I’m the same way with nuts– I go through phases where I love them, but after a while I know I need to cut back for the sake of my digestion. I figure, it’s a good way to keep my consumption of nut-based desserts in check!

• April says

Jeanne and Megan,
        Have either of you tried soaking your raw nuts in a sea salt brine for 24+ hours then rinsing and dehydrating fully before processing into flour/butters?? It has REALLY helped me. I got the idea from the Nourishing Traditions cookbook. It’s their recipe for crispy nuts. I used to soak them for just a few hours, but the longer period really seems to make a difference for me. It’s also more fun to watch. Almonds get HUGE!

3. Amy says

Yum! This looks super good and I can’t wait to try it…perhaps later this week. Thanks so much for sharing! I’m thinking this was the recipe your mom made that’s all cleaned up…maybe?

4. Tricia says

Made this today with a combination of raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries. My hubby declared it the best dessert ever….a HUGE compliment from a man that has been somewhat reluctant to eliminate all grains from his diet. Very filling! We will absolutely be making this again. The crumbly topping was delicious and I have to agree with my husband…better than any of the traditional flour toppings we all grew up with.

5. Kara says

I brought this to a barbeque last night and everybody raved about it! Being on a restrictive diet I often get looks of pity at social events involving food, and I love when I can say “This is grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, and it’s awesome!”

6. Becky says

I tried this…its lovely! I used pecans instead of walnuts and the unblanched almond meal from trader joes worked great, i tend to prefer the unblanched in most recipes myself…

7. Cindy says

I just made this today. Love it! Thank you SO much for the recipe. I have been looking for something to replace my old regular flour recipe.

8. Abbie says

Soooooo yummy! A happy compromise when I was feeling like making something wicked for breakfast…we did fill up on green smoothies and some scrambled eggs first.

9. says

Mine just came out of the oven and it’s fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing. 90% of all our meals come from your blog, we’re hooked! Thank you for posting such healthy options that are grain/gluten free and aren’t loaded with sugar. Love love love.

Xo Sarah

10. Micah says

I just made it, yum!
    I used frozen berries (raspberries, blackberries, blueberries) so I had to drain them a bit first.I also had some Grannysmith apples that needed to be used so I boiled them for a couple minutes to soften them, then chopped them up and put them in there as well. I definitely reccomend adding apples. They take on the flavour and colour of the berries, and it’s very delicious.

11. Abbie says

This is my favorite of your recipes, so simple, but sooooo good! After having been off refined sugars for a while now, I find using 2-3 Tbs of honey is plenty for me.

12. Samantha says

Not a big fan of coconut but I really want to try this. Is there something I can use instead of the shredded coconut?

13. Lori says

This was delicious. I cut the recipe in half to make sure I liked it and so I didn’t waste ingredients. I have flubbed up some recipes in my time. It was so good I ate half of it myself. I liked that it was not too sweet. You do taste the coconut which I like. I may add just a little bit more crushed walnuts next time just to give it that crust feeling.I will definetlly fix this again. I ate this for breakfast.

14. Rebecca says

This is FANTASTIC! I first made it last Thanksgiving and it has since become my “go to” dessert whenever I need something special. I served it to my book group last month and everyone left with the recipe:-). My husband also requested it for his birthday dessert this year. So simple and fast to make (I made it as is, no substitutions, using Bob’s Red Mill finely ground blanched almond flour). I usually serve it warm with vanilla gelato.

15. Rachael says

My garden has been producing about 32 oz of blackberries every day. This recipe sounds wonderful! Might need to add maple syrup to berries though since blackberries are not as sweet even when perfectly ripe.

16. says

So far I have made four of your recipes and every single one has turned out awesome! Once again I was so happy with this one! I love blueberry pie and now that I have this new option for no gluten/bad fat it’s on!! I substituted pecans, and did 3cups of blueberries and it turned out awesome. I almost thought it wasn’t going to get crunchy on top but forgot you have to let it sit for a moment:)

Much love to you Detoxinista! 😀 My world is changing with all these healthy recipes, truly appreciate your work!

17. Diane says

had this for breakfast this morning with dollops of yogurt on top….it was super! Very easy and filling….sweet and delicious.

18. Devin says

Hey, Megan! Not sure what I did wrong. Topping was more like a soft pudding texture. Does that make since? It was anything but crumbly. Whatya think?

• Megan says

Maybe there was excess moisture from your fruit? Did you use fresh or frozen? That might account for a pudding-texture, if the moisture seeped into the topping. Otherwise, I’m not sure why that would happen!

19. Vicki says

Hi Megan, love this recipe and can’t wait to try it. I have pyrex that are 3qt and 1 even larger. Can you help with adjusting the ingredients so I make it correctly? We have an 80th birthday party over Labor Day weekend that I would love to make this for.

Thanks!!

20. Sarah says

Wow! I made this yesterday, since we’ve been harvesting loads of blackberries from nearby hedgerows, and I was amazed at the result. I served alongside banana soft serve (frozen bananas & almond milk blended together) and it was sheer heaven. So easy to make as well!
    Thanks for sharing this fab recipe.

21. Monika says

Great recipe. My husband is allergic to walnuts so I doubled the coconut.. Worked like a charm. I also made your ‘ice cream’ recipe to put on top! Amazeballs!

22. Layka says

Hi Megan,
    I was wondering what is the best to substitute the coconut oil as it cost a fortune where i live.
    Thank you for sharing your nice recipes with us, i love them so much!!!
    Layka

23. Penny O says

Just bought a flat of blueberries from the farm down the road yesterday, so I’ll be making this fabulous recipe for 4th of July!! Thanks for the recipe <3

24. Julie says

I tried this last night and it turned out beautiful! My family loved it (not sure about my brother since he’s a picky eater) but the rest of the family LOVED it.

Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe

25. April says

Just made this after blueberry picking today and it’s delicious. I put extra cinnamon in the topping because we love cinnamon. A word of caution to folks–it browns very quickly. I covered with foil at the end to prevent burning. I am wondering how to store it? Thanks for a delicious recipe.

26. says

Oh my gosh! I picked blueberries yesterday and wanted to make something delicious but still healthy so I tried this and it is AMAZING!!! The only ingredient I changed was I used pecans because I didn’t have walnuts. I baked it in my Pampered Chef Stoneware Classic Small Baker and the topping browned nicely and is very crunchy!!! My only advice is to be sure and have company over to help you eat it because I could eat the whole pan myself because it is SO DELICIOUS!!! Thank you so much!!! The other recipe I love and have baked many times is your Grain Free Pumpkin Bars. Everyone raves about them!

Trackbacks