The Physique 57 Challenge

I’m not exactly the type of person who loves to workout, but I do love how exercise makes me feel.

(…especially when it’s over!)

Running on the treadmill, pedaling away at the elliptical machine, attending spinning and group aerobics classes, at-home workout DVDs… I’ve tried a bunch of things to keep things interesting over the past few years.

But I never really fell in love with any particular workout until I tried Physique 57’s DVD collection.

While there are quite a few barre-inspired workouts available at the moment, nothing I’ve tried has ever been as effective as Physique 57. It covers cardio, strength and stretching all in just 57-minutes!Β

It’s so fun and effective, you’ll definitely want to come back for more.

As soon as you can walk again.

Because I’m already such a fan, you can imagine how excited I am that the people at Physique 57 have invited me to celebrate the 2nd birthday of the Beverly Hills studio–> by participating in a little 2-week challenge.

Last night, I attended a kick-off class with a lovely group of health and fitness writers, and our thighs were shaking in no time. Since the Beverly Hills studio isn’t exactly a convenient drive for me, I hadn’t attended a class since Thanksgiving. I thought I had been “keeping up” my barre workouts by attending various Bar Method studios around town, but I quickly realized that I had been kidding myself–> Physique 57 is much more fast-paced and challenging! Within minutes of starting class, I was sweating, shaking, and loving it.

Afterward, I had the pleasure of meeting the co-founder of Physique 57, Jennifer Maanavi. We discussed the foundation of Physique 57, and among other things, the amazing results that this workout provides.

In fact, in February 2010, Physique 57 conducted a training study administered by the Human Performance Laboratory of Adelphi University in New York. 38 women completed 4 classes a week for 4 weeks, while following general nutrition guidelines. The results will obviously vary based on the individual, but some participants lost anywhere from 8 to 13 inches off their body!

Not bad for one month, huh?

This is where the challenge comes in.

Physique 57 has challenged me to see how I feel after 2 weeks of classes. Ideally, 4 classes each week over the next two weeks–> because they claim you can see visible results after just 8 workouts! They were also kind enough to send me home with their new book, The Physique 57 Solution, which includes a 2-week workout and meal plan.

I’m always up for a good challenge, and I can’t wait to see the results! I’ll be doing the majority of my workouts at home, with my DVD set, so if any of you readers want to join me, please do! You definitely don’t need to live in NYC or LA to take advantage of this effective workout method. We can keep each other motivated and celebrate the results!

Though the studio challenge has already started, I’ll be “officially” starting my challenge on Monday–> when I’m back from vacation. πŸ˜€

Until then, if you’d like to get started, you can print off this 30-day goal calendar to track your progress. After you’ve reached 2 weeks, you may just be motivated enough to keep going for the rest of the month!

Reader Feedback: Have you ever tried a Physique 57 workout– at home or in the studio? Are you willing to give it a shot with me?

*Disclosure statement: Physique 57 has offered me 2 weeks of free classes at the Beverly Hills studio, and did give me a copy of their new book, but I am under no obligation to write a positive review. As always, all opinions expressed here are my own!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

39 thoughts on “The Physique 57 Challenge

1. Lauren Gellins

Hey Megan, I’m actually (re)-starting Insanity wih my husband next week, we started this week but after I had a test to find out why I’m having vertigo on Tuesday and what I believe to be a migraine on Wednesday + work piling up, I halted the workouts this week, we will be starting over next week. I’d never heard of Physique 57 til your blog, but it sounds interesting. Do you need a barre? On a side note-I agree with the whole don’t especially like I exercise but like the way it makes me feel. I’ve noticed a huge difference this week from not exercising plus I haven’t been making as good food choices either; it’s amazing what a couple of sick days can do to you!

Insanity is a tough one!! My husband and I wimped-out after trying it for a few weeks. πŸ˜‰

For Physique 57, you don’t need a bar– they recommend using the back of a chair or a couch. (I use one of my dining room chairs) It’s definitely the most effective workout I’ve ever tried, so let me know if you decide to give it a shot!

2. Marlena

This sounds interesting! Since having my baby it’s been pretty much impossible for me to do any other exercise besides long walks (with her) or jumping on my rebounder while she’s napping (hard to do). I’ll let you know if I give this a try. πŸ™‚

3. Anjali

I’ve been lovin’ it! Such a refreshing change from grueling, boring, forced workouts. I’m totally on board πŸ™‚

4. Jennifer

Hi! Yeah! Count me in! I have the DVD’s and book! So will you post updates? I will add the video’s to my calendar 4x a week. I am also doing Piloxing and maybe one day baby run. I will also do the menus from the book! I am committed!!!

Thanks!
    Jen

5. Michelle

Sounds awesome! I have the DVDs and just started doing the workouts 2 days ago. I’m thinking of getting the book for the meal plan. I’m in!

6. jenpowers

Thanks Megan, this is the kind of motivation I need! Im going to check out the dvds rite now. πŸ™‚

Yes, I do prefer the Physique 57 DVDs over Tracy’s system. Having done both, I definitely saw faster results after P57– and I mostly do the DVDs, so they’re definitely just as effective! I’ll be posting some tips later this week to get more burn out of the DVDs, too. πŸ˜‰

7. jessica

I have heard SO much about physique 57, I think I might need to get a hold of it and give it a go! I have found some amazing yoga online that I have been loving so it might be time to shake it up a little.
    Thanks for the challenge update
    xoxo

8. jen

I have the first set of three Physique DVDs and I do them on and off, but you’ve inspired me to do them 4x a week for four weeks! I started today, and did the hour long one, and I can tell I’ll be sore tomorrow.

I’ve never stuck with them consistently enough to see results, but this time I’m going to. You heard it hear first πŸ™‚

9. Rebecca

Yay-great idea! I’ll join in! I’ve got the cd’s but haven’t tried them out yet. I’ve been doing the Tracy Anderson thing. Starting the physique 57 challenge tomorrow too πŸ™‚

10. KellyB

hi
    I’m wondering what you are hoping to accomplish physically with this challange? I ask because you are someone who eats whole foods and already works out on a regular basis (or I assume you do from your posts) and you don’t need to lose weight.
    just curious, not trying to be negative. thanks

For me, it’s more about just creating a consistent exercise habit. I actually don’t exercise all that regularly– it’s about as sporadic as it appears on my blog.

Because I also battle a family history of high cholesterol (and I refuse to take medication for it), I know committing to regular exercise will be beneficial for my overall health, and 4 workouts each week seems like a reasonable goal. Plus, Physique 57 has been great for keeping my Sciatica at bay… something I’ve suffered from since starting my desk job 5 years ago.

11. Kara

Sounds interesting. Any idea if it’s ok to do with a shoulder injury? I haven’t researched it yet. Will dig into that shortly. I have 2 partial tears in my rotator cuff that I’ve been rehabbing for about 6 months. Just curious if it seems like it might be an option. Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about the shoulder injury! That’s definitely not my area of expertise, but I would think you could do a majority of the workout– the leg work and ab sections– but maybe you’d have to skip over the push-ups and planks, depending on how your shoulder feels.

If you’re in the LA or NYC area, going to a class would be helpful, as the instructors are trained in modifications to deal with injuries.

12. Jennifer

Hi Megan,
    Still going! I have a question, what software did you use to create the schedule you did as well as the P57 one you did for them?
    Thanks!
    Jen

Have you ever worked with Photoshop before? If not, there’s definitely a learning curve. I’ve been working as a professional designer for over 6 years, and I’m still learning new tricks! With my experience, it only took me a couple hours to design a calendar like that.

Hope that helps! πŸ™‚

13. Gia

I’ve just learned about this and am hoping to dive into the challenge too! One question though–do you know if the two-week meal plan in their book is vegetarian-friendly?

There are lots of vegetarian-friendly options in the book! Many of the recipes are naturally vegetarian, and the recipes that do feature meat have vegetarian-options noted on the side.

Hope you’ll join us!! πŸ™‚

14. kim

Hi. I am doing the second week of the continuity program with tracy anderson. This is $30.00 per month. Xan you explain the cardio portion of physique 57?

I’ve done the Tracy Anderson program, and the Physique 57 workout is different in the fact that there is no cardio “portion” of the workout– the whole workout is fast-paced, keeping your heart rate in the cardio zone while strength training at the same time. It’s very efficient!