3-Ingredient Fudge (Dairy-Free)

I knew my homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk would come in handy for the holidays.

It lends its rich, creamy texture to this traditional holiday fudge!

I already shared my favorite raw nut-based fudge recipe earlier this year, so consider this a more traditional option for those who can’t tolerate nut-based desserts. Or, for those of you who just prefer a smoother, creamier fudge. Featuring heart-healthy fats from coconut oil, and antioxidant-rich dark chocolate, this is the type of fudge I feel good about serving to my friends and family in this holiday season.

Traditional fudge recipes calling for sweetened condensed milk often call for semi-sweet chocolate chips, as well, creating a confection that is too sweet for my tastes. I prefer to use unsweetened baking chocolate instead, then add a little extra honey into the homemade sweetened condensed milk, for a naturally-sweetened treat. Alternatively, you could use 70% dark chocolate and omit the honey from the condensed milk, for another lower-sugar option.

Whichever method you choose, you’re in for a treat!

3-Ingredient Fudge (Dairy-Free)
makes one 8″x8″ pan

1/2 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk*
12 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons coconut oil

optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

If you haven’t done so already, prepare the sweetened condensed coconut milk (<– directions here), using extra honey if desired. (*I used 1/2 cup instead of 1/4 cup for this particular batch of fudge.) Allow the coconut milk to reduce until it’s very thick, then measure out 1/2 cup and save any extra for another use.

In the same saucepan, melt together the 1/2 cup condensed milk, chocolate chunks, and coconut oil until smooth.

Pour into an 8″x8″ baking pan, lined with parchment paper for easy removal, and sprinkle in the 1 cup of walnuts or pecans, if desired. Place the pan in the fridge or freezer to set for at least 4 hours.

Slice and serve this fudge chilled for best texture.

3-Ingredient Fudge (Dairy-Free)
Serves: 16-20

Featuring heart healthy fats from coconut oil, and antioxidant-rich dark chocolate, this is the type of fudge you can feel good about serving to your friends and family in this holiday season.
  • ½ cup sweetened condensed coconut milk*
  • 12 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  1. If you haven't done so already, prepare the sweetened condensed coconut milk, using extra honey if desired for this fudge. (I used ½ cup instead of ¼ cup for mine.) Allow the coconut milk to reduce until it's very thick, then measure out ½ cup and save the rest for another use.
  2. In the same saucepan, melt together the ½ cup condensed milk, chocolate chunks, and coconut oil until smooth.
  3. Pour into an 8"x8" baking pan, lined with parchment paper for easy removal, and sprinkle in the 1 cup of walnuts or pecans, if desired. Place the pan in the fridge or freezer to set for at least 4 hours.
  4. Slice and serve this fudge chilled for best texture.

Substitution notes:

• For a vegan fudge, use vegan chocolate and maple syrup instead of honey.
  • If you’d rather skip preparing the sweetened condensed coconut milk, I have a feeling  you could use coconut butter or manna as a substitute!
  • You might even be able to use stevia as a sweetener with the option above, since the coconut butter would act as a thickener.
  • This recipe makes a very dark chocolate fudge, but for a sweeter variety you could use sweetened chocolate chips, instead of the unsweetened baking chocolate,  if you prefer!

Reader Feedback: What’s your fudge preference– nuts or no nuts? I grew up only liking “plain” fudge, but now I love the added crunch from walnuts or pecans!

Comments

• Kat says

OK Thanks! I have been putting coconut milk in with my smoothies (avacado / spinach/banana/ coconut oil or flaxseed oil/stevia)- What else could I use that would combine correctly( I guess just water??)

• says

I usually use water, since it’s more affordable and neutral, but almond milk can also work, if it’s well strained. (Same goes for homemade coconut milk, if you’re straining it!)

• says

I am! I developed most of these holiday dessert recipes back in October, to prepare for it. Since I have many more readers who are not participating in the sugar-free challenge, I plan to keep posting naturally-sweetened holiday treats! Plus, there are sugar-free options noted above, if you prefer. :)

1. says

mmmm, yum! Question for you – would it make a difference to use another type of oil? I have made baked goods with coconut oil and they always taste like soap to me! I tend to use my tub of coconut oil now to make homemade cosmetics and such. :)

• Kelly says

Meredith- I have had the “soapy” experience with coconut oil too, but only when I have had it open for a while and have been using it for my skin and hair. I encourage you to try a fresh jar of coconut oil (trader joe’s has a nice one that tastes like coconut) or a flavorless refined one if you are brave enough to give coconut oil a second chance (and hopefully it won’t taste like soap!).

2. says

This fudge looks absolutely delicious! I personally can’t stand having something crunchy like nuts in the strewn about in something so perfectly creamy as fudge, though I adore them on their own! I’m going to have to make this for the holidays – I’ll just have to make one version with nuts, and one without!

3. Jasna says

I tried making these and they didn’t set up at all. Even in the freezer they stayed gooey. Not sure what I did wrong. Maybe use more coconut oil?

• says

It sounds like the coconut milk may not have evaporated enough. Extra coconut oil or extra chocolate should help. You’ll want to blend it well, so you don’t wind up with cold chunks of coconut oil throughout your fudge.

4. says

I love condensed milk – hopefully there will be some left for the recipe. I have a feeling I may eat it all before I get to use it in the recipe. Might have to make a double batch. I will add it to my list of things to make. There is so much good stuff to make here. Yum!

5. Sonya says

Making this tonight, what a great way to fill a chocolate craving! If you ever want pics please let us know! Made your eggplant/mushroom meat lasagna on Friday and had to restrain myself from eating it all in one sitting! lol! Merci bcp!

6. Penny says

Delicious!!
    I’m so confused, though. When I made this, I only used 12 squares of chocolate. Apparently, 7 squares of chocolate is only 2 oz. So I only used just over 3 oz of chocolate, but this is incredibly rich. I can’t imagine it being good if I had used the full 12 oz.

• Sara says

I made this with 12 oz of baking chocolate and it was disgusting…. I’m pretty sure I made the condensed milk correctly, because it was super deliciously sweet. I even ended up putting the full amount of the condensed milk in instead of just 1/2 cup, after tasting it with 1/2.
      Do you just like really bitter chocolate? I can’t figure out what I could have done wrong.

7. Hannah says

So yummy ! Followed the recipe for the condensed coconut milk word for word, then the fudge but its been 8 hours its still not set an is still sticky, I dont want to waste it so should I try heating it up gently again an adding more oil ? Im in Australia and its pretty hot I have read that humidity can effect making fudge maybe this is the reason or maybe the difference in produce ??

8. Adrianne says

Yeah, just tried this with cocoa and extra fat (I used butter since I didn’t have enough coconut oil in the cupboard). It totally seized and separated. I’ve attempted to mix in a bunch of almond meal, in attempt to make a brownie-ish thing, but I expect I will toss it all out and it’s not pretty. Definitely do not try cocoa – it will not work! That condensed coconut milk was amazing!!

Trackbacks