Homemade Hemp Milk

Since nut-allergies are all too common, hemp milk is the perfect non-dairy milk alternative.

SONY DSC

Hemp seeds are a nutritional powerhouse, loaded with essential fatty acids, as well as all of the essential amino acids used to build protein in the body.

The omega-3 fatty acids found in hemp seeds can help reduce inflammation in the body, and may also lower the risk for cancer, heart disease and arthritis. They are also a source of vitamin E, which can help boost immune function and aid in red blood cell formation.

Because hemp seeds have a stronger flavor than almonds, I’ve added a couple of dates and a splash of vanilla to this recipe to make it taste similar to the store-bought versions. Feel free to adjust the flavor to suit your tastes, and enjoy it over your favorite cereal, as the base for a smoothie, or simply in an ice-cold glass!

Homemade Hemp Milk
makes 4 cups

4 cups filtered water
1/2 cup hemp hearts
4 Medjool dates
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until the hemp hearts are completely broken down. Carefully strain the mixture through a nut-milk bag and discard the pulp. (Unless you have another brilliant idea for it!)

milk

SONY DSC

Homemade Hemp Milk
Serves: 4

A creamy, nut-free and dairy-free milk alternative.
  • 4 cups filtered water
  • ½ cup hemp hearts
  • 4 Medjool dates
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until the hemp hearts are completely broken down. Carefully strain the mixture through a nut-milk bag and discard the pulp. (Unless you have another brilliant idea for it!)
  2. Store the resulting milk in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week, and serve well-chilled.

Enjoy!

*For a chocolate variation: Try adding 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the mix, plus a few extra dates to your desired sweetness. Delicious!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite milk alternative?

32 thoughts on “Homemade Hemp Milk

1. zosia

do you know or do you know where i could find the nutritional information for homemade (strained) hemp milk?

do you think it would have a similar nutritional profile to conventional hemp milk in terms of calories (not counting added vitamins)?

thanks

2. Lisa

Such a great idea for hemp milk! It’s so expensive at the store otherwise. Same goes for almond milk, it’s just so much cheaper, not to mention it tastes better when homemade.

3. Meagan

I just made some zucchini almond carob unsweetened brownies last weekend, using 2 batches of leftover almond pulp. They were so good! You can always try making brownies with the left overs 🙂

There’s almost no pulp left in the bag when you make hemp milk, but I do love using up my leftover almond milk pulp in recipes!

4. alli

I like almond breeze coconut almond milk im almost completey off daily milk. Its sweet so id rather drink the cocoa almond then regular

5. melanie

I personally love almond milk, rice milk and coconut milk. Could you please add a recipe for coconut yoghurt at some point? Would love that!

6. Kat

my favorite (or rather most convenient) is almond milk. it’s the one thing I actually like in my morning yerba mate. I tried that brand of hemp hearts, so yummy. got it at whole foods. good idea for adding cocoa! can date sugar be used in place of dates?

7. brittay

I have never tried hemp milk, but this looks good! I have a question though, what do you do with the leftover hemp seeds? They are such an expensive little treat I would hate to have that go to waste

Unlike making homemade almond milk, there is almost nothing left in the bag when making hemp milk. The hemp seeds are so small, they practically dissolve during the blending process, so nothing is wasted!

8. Penny

I have tried home made hemp and flax milk and didn’t care for either. The taste was just too strong and they even changed the way that recipes taste. Our favorite is coconut milk (made my first batch last night and it has changed my world!) with almond milk as an alternative for variety. I think I’ll try hemp milk again with this recipe just as a base for green smoothies. My toddler cant have dairy, soy or wheat, so trying to make sure that he gets everything that he needs in his diet feels so challenging sometimes. Your site has helped a lot. Thank you!

9. Nik

I’ve never tried hemp milk but I really want to. Almond milk is my go-to alternative, though I haven’t tried making it myself as yet.

10. Glenda

I made this and there was hardly anything left in the milk nut bag- which is a good thing! I didn’t feel like I was wasting anything. I may try it with 3 cups of water to make coffee creamer.

11. lnielson

Do you presoak your hemp seeds? For us Weston Price followers we soak all our nuts and seeds but I’ve never worked with hemp seeds before and wondered if this applied.

12. Nora

Hi Megan, I just made this two days ago. It’s delicious in my smoothies. I ran out of Whole Foods store-bought almond milk, so made this instead. I still prefer almond milk, but it’s nice to change the non-dairy milks around. Homemade is always better. It just tried the hemp milk in a latte, and it didn’t turn out good 🙁 But, that’s ok. I’ll stick to almond milk for hot lattes, and hemp milk for smoothies!

13. Nicole

I just made my fourth batch (or 5th?!) and am hooked! Whole foods kept selling out of my favorite hemp milk (the only one without carageenan) so looked for a recipe. This is so delicious, healthier and cheaper. My husband even loves it. I can’t make enough!!!
    Thank you!

14. Leana

Love hemp milk, Plus the hemp hearts you are using are from the province of Manitoba in canada.

Much better tasting then store bought!

15. kathy schnepple

i used my bullet blender which comes with strainer lids of 2 sizes. the smaller strainer size worked wonderfully and no seeds ended up in my milk jar. the best part: no milk bag to clean.

16. Pingback: Homemade hemp milk | Healthyhut

17. Anna

A great idea for the pulp is to compost it, even if you don’t garden, just add it to the soil to nourish the ground! I see that Megan says that the pulp left is so little but whatever is left you can toss it in a planter. Thanks for this recipe. I’m going to do that right now!

18. Pingback: What the Hemp?! - Heather Pavlik RDN

19. Pingback: The Ultimate Guide to Plant Based Milks - Jane Brown

20. Monique

I Love this recipe!!!! It’s so easy AND yummy!!! I quarter the recipe and make it fresh in my Nutribullet every time I crave it……..which really means “every day”!!! :)) Thank you for this awesome recipe!!!

21. Silvia Arya

Hi Megan! I just bought your book “Everyday Detox” and currently reading your blog too!! lol. I have a question about hemp milk, How much hemp milk your toddler drink in a day? You give everyday i?, it’s safe to give 2 o 3 cups everyday? I am asking because I am planning to give to my baby of 19 month old. Thanks and you are doing a great work, plz keep doing! 🙂

I’m glad you’re enjoying the book! I actually don’t give my son any type of milk to drink. We will use it in smoothies every now and then, but I breastfed him until he was 3 years old, so I didn’t feel supplementation was necessary. Other than smoothies and the occasional fresh green juice, he only drinks water as a beverage.

22. Brenda Boyce

Thanks for this wonderful recipe. It tastes delicious. FYI I inadvertently left the hemp hearts soaking for a couple of days in the fridge and when I whizzed them discovered there was hardly any pulp to speak of. I didn’t even need to strain it. It all went into the bottle with no waste! Even better!