Pregnancy Things: Weeks 28-29

Considering how easy and comfortable my pregnancy has been up to this point, I have no room to complain. But, these past two weeks were probably the most difficult of my whole experience so far!

1. I got my first clogged milk duct. Yes, this can happen before you even start breast feeding–> it happened to me right at the 28-week mark. (My doctor says that’s pretty early for this to occur, so lucky me.) It’s also especially difficult to resolve without a baby to help nurse the clog out! Luckily, I received some great advice from my doula and the following helped resolve the issue within 48 hours:

• Lots of warm compresses and hot showers (cloth diapers work well as a compress to maintain heat!)
  • Lots of self-massage of the area (this hurts like CRAZY)
  • Lecithin (<– this was a suggestion from my sister in law. According to KellyMom.com, lecithin can help thin the milk and will prevent clogs from happening in the future. I now take one pill daily to prevent this from happening again before baby arrives!)

Thank goodness the problem resolved itself, because if it hadn’t, clogged milk ducts can lead to a much more serious condition that requires antibiotics. That was even more motivation for me to deal with the pain and do whatever was necessary to fix the problem naturally.

I am still SHOCKED at how painful clogged milk ducts are! I suppose this might be a sneak-peek at potential breast feeding pain in my future, though I’m still hoping for the best.

2. I had to get tested for Gestational Diabetes.

Which involves drinking this neon-orange, artificially flavored drink that’s bursting with sugar. Sorry, baby.

I am really disappointed that this is the normal protocol for testing blood sugar, since I don’t think any person should be required to consume an artificially dyed or flavored drink in a hospital– especially pregnant women! I tried to talk my doctor into ANY other options, but he’s very “by the book” and insisted on this test. Since we don’t have the financial freedom to use a midwife and have home birth, I’ve made peace with this situation for now… but I still hate it.

3. I failed my 1-hour glucose test.

When I heard this, I thought there must be a mistake. With everything I’ve done to maintain a healthy pregnancy, I was shocked to think that I could have possibly developed gestational diabetes! Of course, I’ve known some pretty healthy people who have developed it during their own pregnancies, so nothing surprises me anymore. Gestational diabetes is determined by how the pancreas reacts to the extra hormones produced by the placenta (a genetic factor), so anyone can be vulnerable, despite a healthy lifestyle.

It also turns out that it’s common to get a false-positive on the 1-hour glucose test, which is why many doctors insist on a longer test in the first place. When I failed my first test, my doctor ordered that I take the 3-hour glucose tolerance test to see if I really had gestational diabetes or not.

The 3-hour test involves drinking even more of that horrid drink pictured above, and getting 4 blood draws over a period of 3 hours. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? This test is much more accurate because it begins with the patient fasting overnight, and then taking a fasting blood draw as a comparison before drinking the sugary beverage. You have to sit quietly in a waiting room for the whole 3 hours, so I had lots of time on my hands for reading! (On the positive side, I finished my investment book!)

As it turns out, I’m not even close to having gestational diabetes. My blood sugar levels are perfect! So, who knows what happened with that first test…

4. I’ve noticed that everything is starting to get a little more difficult.

I’m not used to letting people do things for me, like lift boxes or move furniture, so the past two weeks of “nesting” have been a wake-up call for me! Austin and I rearranged all the furniture in our small home to make room for a crib and baby dresser, and I was surprised to find myself panting after doing what seemed like small tasks. My body is definitely pumping more blood and working harder than usual!

Which means that re-organizing our home has become a workout in itself. I’ve found a new project to work on almost daily, and by the time I’m done, I’m sweating!

5. I almost fainted in our most recent birth preparation class.

To top off my 29th week, we attended a class detailing all of the possible complications and interventions that can occur during labor and delivery. Our instructor is fantastic, but seeing and holding the tools that they might use to monitor my baby’s head (it screws into his little scalp!) and the crochet-like needle they use to rupture membranes was a little overwhelming. And it only got worse when they showed us a video of all the interventions, including the insertion of an epidural– showing the needle and all!

I’ve fainted at the sight of needles since I was a baby (don’t ask me why), so this was what did me in. I briefly lost my vision and hearing, and broke out into a cold sweat–> causing Austin to quickly escort me out of the class. This is exactly why I’m hoping for a natural birth, since I obviously can’t handle even the idea of interventions very well.

Reader Feedback: I know many of you out there are pregnant as well, so please feel free to share your experiences from the past few weeks!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

41 thoughts on “Pregnancy Things: Weeks 28-29

1. Callen

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I’ve had 3 babies and avoided the glucose drink with 2 so far. There are other, more accurate options. I’m shocked your doc would not let you do the pre and post option. You fast just over night, get a blood draw, eat breakfast, then have another blood draw. That’s what I did with the first. I chugged the stuff with the second (not sure why) and felt sick for 2 days after…..It’s so nasty! I wish your doc wasn’t so by-the-book. They should be much more respectful of the mom’s wishes….the way they are now is exactly how they will be in the delivery room, and, trust me, the first is usually not a ‘text book’ delivery…mine was 26hrs. I was told I would have had a c-section if I labored in the hospital the whole time. Also, we had a midwife with the 3rd….cheaper than the first 2! $2400 for all the prenatal and mommy/baby care after birth. The best experience ever and very affordable. It would have been even cheaper if we had prenatal coverage because she takes insurance. You might want to meet with one! Anyway, just thought I’d share! Fight for what you want, Momma!!

How lucky that you’ve been able to avoid that terrible drink for the most part! Your first experience sounds like a much more reasonable option. That drink made me feel so sick, too, and it feels like an inaccurate test since I would never drink something like that in any other situation!

Fortunately, the hospital I’m delivering at is very natural birth friendly, and I will NOT be working with the doctor that I currently see for my prenatal care. I will also be bringing a fantastic doula with me, so hopefully I’ll have all the support I need for a natural birth, and will be able to labor at home for as long as possible to avoid interventions.

2. Jen

I am 30+ weeks pregnant, and if it makes you feel any better, I have an awesome midwife here in NYC and still had to drink that nasty orange soda drink. I felt the same way you did – why would anyone want to give this to their baby? But like you, I sucked it up.
    I also have quite a needle aversion, and while we are hoping to give birth at a birthing center here, which involves little to no needles (epidurals are not an option there, and they don’t do IVs), I started seeing an acupuncturist to help with some pregnancy symptoms (leg cramps, anxiety, energy levels and back pain), which has also helped me to become more accustomed to needles. Not sure if that woud work for you but just a thought. Also, our birthing method is Hypnobabies, and I’m a huge fan so far. It has really helped me to deal with a lot of the negativity related to pregnancy complications and interventions, especially since it seems women love to tell you their “war stories”, even more especially when they find out your intention is to go natural and unmedicated.
    Good luck!

3. Jessica

I am 33 wks pregnant (tomorrow) with my 2nd and seeing a midwife for a home birth this time. It’s a complete 180 from my fully medicated hospital birth with my first. My midwife did a hemoglobin A1C blood test to test for gestational diabetes. I was very surprised I didn’t have to drink the sugary drink and no fasting either. She said the A1C test gives a more accurate reading of blood glucose levels over the last several weeks. I haven’t done much research on this, but it really makes me wonder why the A1C test would not be the norm??? And I wonder if its something pregnant mommies can ask for instead? Something to look into…
    Glad your 3 hour test came out ok and I hope you feel better! I am definitely starting to feel more uncomfortable lately. My husband and I are taking a shortened version of Bradley Method classes. I love it! Learning about everything our bodies go through and what we can do to have healthier pregnancies and all of the possible interventions; it all fascinates me. I wish I would have been more educated the first time around. Good luck with your pregnancy and birth!

4. Christina

Thank you SO much for your ENTIRE website! As a first-time pregnant woman (tracking a couple weeks behind you) that enjoys the same lifestyle you appreciate, it’s refreshing to hear of your experiences and eating habits.

Again, much thanks!!

5. Laura

I have had both hospital and home births. I would urge you to hire a doula b/c if your dr. is by the book then he will most likely want to do alot of interventions that would make things “safer” Please, Please, watch the business of being born on netflix. Alot of moms trust the hospital system too much. The doula can and will be a good non-emotional go-between for you. Go into labor pretending that you’re having a home birth and research alot of books on that. Nurses cant really be there for you as much as people think b/c they have so many other duties.

I’ve already hired a fantastic doula, and she plans to help me labor at home for as long as possible, which should help avoid most interventions. Also, my current doctor won’t be the one who works with me in labor & delivery so I’m actually kind of relieved about that… my hospital is much more natural birth friendly, and doesn’t encourage things like epidurals or formula feeding.

6. Holly

I have a fear of needles too! I just had my 4th natural birth and people tell me all the time I must have a high pain tolerance (NOT true, in fact, I have sensory integration issues, so I feel more pain, plus I have precipitous labors which add to it), I’m just terrified of needles and no way is one going near my spine! I prepare for birth by doing the Hypnobabies homestudy course, it is INVALUABLE! I’ve been fortunate enough to have all my babies at home in water, but if I needed to have a hospital birth I would go into it well prepared with lots of coping tools, with a detailed birth plan signed by my doctor and with a good doula to advocate for me and offer additional support. It can be really hard to birth naturally in a hospital if the nurses aren’t approving of natural birth, but with preparation it can still be a fantastic experience. Have you read The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth? Its great for those giving birth in the hospital who want to be informed, and especially who want to have a natural birth. Wishing you a great birth experience!

7. Holly

Also, with my first baby I got super sick from the glucose drink. With my second (same midwife) I asked if I could do anything else and she had me eat eggs and drink grape juice (I still got sickish from the grape juice, but not as bad). With my last 2 I refused the test, I didn’t even know I could do that with the first 2! My midwives were very supportive of refusing it and had other signs of GD that they look out for.

8. Anita

It’s great that you’re at least able to have a doula. With the way hospitals handle birth these days it can be a challenge to have a natuarl birth in one. They can be quick to jump to the interventions. Of course some hospitals are better than others.

9. Anna

Just a thought from what you said about not being able to use a midwife and homebirth, for financial reasons… We have found that it is much cheaper to have a baby at home with a midwife. Their fees do vary, but it was so much less than the hospital. (Although that was not our primary reason for choosing one.) We liked our homebirth the best, also.

If you’re giving birth in the hospital, I second the recommendation of The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth. Very good info on many things, especially hospital interventions, and your options.

10. Jen

I feel like I HAVE to reply to this!!! I am 30 weeks (second pregnancy) and with my first, I wasn’t nearly as cautious when it came to eating habits. Like you, this time around I scrutinize EVERYTHING I put in my body. So, naturally, I looked at the label on this stupid glucola drink and called my doctors office to see if there was an alternative. I am a registered nurse myself and I even offered to check and track my blood sugars and keep a food log for however long they wanted me to since, in my opinion, this is a MUCH better indicator of blood sugar control than a foreign sugar drink and the ramifications imposed to baby by the HYPOglycemia that follows (at least for me after I drink it). The response I got from the office was literally to “suck it up and drink it” which, sorry to say, I did. My husband watched his hormonal wife sob before and after because I felt SO guilty for drinking it. Should I have fought harder? Should I have said ‘NO!’? Anyways, I also failed the first one…by 5 points. The thing is, I KNEW I would. After seeing that you had the same problem, I’m convinced that test is AWFUL! We don’t consume sugar in that type or quantity….not only that, I got the call I failed as I was making spiralized zucchini pasta with homemade pesto and they told me if I DID have GD that I would just need to monitor my diet/blood sugar. WHAT???!!! So then why even test??? I am not making light of diabetes (I have seen first hand just how serious it really is). I just know, after some very angry research haha, that that one-hour test has an alarmingly high amount of false positives! I will absolutely refuse it in the future and I’m SO SO SO SO glad you passed the 3 hour (my doc let me just give a fasting blood sugar only since I told her I almost passed out on the drive home after the 50 grams….and I was, like you, completely normal). Thanks for the AWESOME blog and recipes and I’m sort of happy there is someone else out there like me who failed it too haha πŸ˜‰ I’ve now had the convincing I need to know that test is RIDICULOUS and they absolutely need to offer women other options! πŸ™‚

11. Laura

You poor thing, the clogged milk duct sounds awful! I had no idea that could happen before the birth, thank so much for sharing. I also asked the dr about alternatives to the drink and barely guzzled it down. I felt bad for the baby the whole time. I am 34 weeks. I feel you on the everything is more difficult! I still feel very good and exercise but I notice when I do too much my feet will swell, that’s my sign. πŸ™‚ It’s hard not to contstantly do things and to relax once in awhile. My hubby and I are going to use the Bradley Method which is natural husband coached childbirth. We will also have a doula. I love the pregnancy posts, so nice to hear from another preggo with similar eating habits and other similar interests!

12. Allison

You can still have a natural birth with an OB in the hospital. I did! I asked for intermittent fetal monitoring (nothing was being screwed into my baby!), and labored without any drugs. You can do it!!

13. Melissa

Thank you for making me feel “normal”! I was beginning to think I was the only crazy one out there with this failed glucose test and all the stuff the doctor’s office makes you go through. I’m 28 weeks, and I go for my 3 hour test Monday…needless to say, I’m not looking forward to it. I thought about refusing it, but then I know I would feel guilty later. I’ve also noticed that some things are becoming more difficult to do, so I’m starting to panic about the nursery being ready. I mean, we aren’t guaranteed 40 weeks right?! I’m sure this will all pass and everything will work out how it’s meant to be, but in the meantime, geez! Thanks again for posting, and best wishes for a happy and healthy delivery!

14. Steph

Here in Switzerland they also require the glucose test, but we just have to drink plain sugar water. No coloring, no flavors. (I was so happy for that because I loathe anything orange-flavored; however, I love the fruit itself.) It’s also a standard to have the 3-hour test early in the morning, fasting. They do let you drink water, so I guzzled a bottle during the first hour to help my body process all that sugar.

I tried to convince my husband that I should avoid it, since I had a low weight gain of 1 kg a month and could hardly tolerate the sugar in fruit, let alone anything sweetened! He, being a doctor, preferred that I take it just to be sure, so that way we would be prepared for any possible complications if I did have GD. The test was normal, as I expected.

I’d love to skip it with any future pregnancies!

15. smilefire

I feel for you! I’m 31.5 weeks, and definitely feel like the ‘glow’ is starting to fade… I feel and look gigantic. I also had to do that terrible, terrible three hour test. Usually I would never ever ingest something like that, especially while pregnant! But I did, and ten minutes later I started to faint. My partner made them give me a bed to lie down in for the rest of the test. But in the end I passed, which made me feel even more that this is terribly wrong… if passing out is a ‘normal’ reaction?!? I’m very grateful for your blog. It has inspired and helped me so much, and I love to read your pregnancy posts, so THANK YOU!!! All the best coming into the home stretch!

16. renaewithaJ

I am 38 weeks pregnant with a scheduled c-section for my second child. I sympathize with your aversion to needles. I used to have the same feelings, but it went away during my long journey to have our first child. Lots of tests and treatments forced me to get over it. I had an unexpected c-section with my last because he was breech. When I had the c-section my midwife was with me the entire time and everything was less stressful as a result. I think if your doula is with you and aware of your issue with needles she can help you through those events. I am enjoying reading your pregnancy posts as well. Thank you for sharing!

17. Jodi

I find it hard to believe that more Drs don’t offer a better alternative than those sugary drinks. My daughter in law is pregnant (same week as you) πŸ™‚ and is going to a midwife who is very natural/holistic. She told my DIL that she could drink regular old orange juice for the glucose test. To me, that sounds like a great alternative. I don’t understand why some doctors insist on feeding pregnant moms the other junk.

18. Jana E. Post author

I’m so sorry for you and really hope that you can enjoy your last “growing weeks” now, with lots of rest. Here in Germany do doulas recommend to have a dampish diaper in the freezer, in case of mastitis.
    All the best!

19. Lisa

Tried and very true help for clogged mild ducts – fresh green cabbage leaves. Place them over the area and wear them until they wilt. It sooths and helps the clog dissipate. I thought it was crazy, but it worked for me along with baby nursing. Just something to keep in mind for later. πŸ˜‰

20. Caitlin

I am sad to hear that you have to pay for a midwife in the states. I had a baby in December, in Canada, and I had a midwife but went to a bigger city with an obstetrician since I had very low platlets and they don’t have the resources in my town if something were to go wrong. I love being a mom and I am grateful both baby and I are fine now; but when I think of my birth experience with an obstetrician it frustrates me. Next time I will say no a lot more readily (including that awful orange glucose drink). The hospital setting may make you feel powerless but in most cases you are not. As a nurse the health care system frustrates me, a perfectly example being the orange artificial drink). You do have the right to refuse interventions. So glad to hear you have a doula. They are the best. I wish you an amazing and empowering birth experience!

21. Nicole

Cross your fingers for me, as I plan to decline the glucose test this time around. The doctors at my practice are definitely old school, so I’m not looking forward that conversation.

It’s insane how doctors guilt patients into doing things they’re uncomfortable with. I ended up with all types of interventions during my last delivery because I didn’t have the guts to say ‘no.’ Not going to let that happen this time.

22. Lisa

I can’t believe it’s possible to get a clogged milk duct before the baby is born! They are so painful, and that is with a baby to help get rid of it πŸ™‚ I’m pregnant with #2 now, and already dreading the beginning of breastfeeding. Just know it gets better, and easier with time. Good luck with everything! Glad you don’t have GD.

23. Mandy Rothschild

Sorry to hear about your clogged milk duct. I had no idea this could occur in pregnancy! I have also heard that lecithin can be helpful in managing this condition and I was wondering what brand of lecithin pills you use or do you make your own?

24. Wendy

I nearly passed out during the birth class portion about epidurals also. I was fortunate to have both my kids without pain medicine, even though I was induced with my second! I used a visualization technique where I kind of went inside my own thoughts. I thought about the most relaxing thing I could, which was snorkeling in Hawaii. I just thought about that, and I was able to bear the pain. If your labor is very long, it may be too tiring to go without painkillers. Good luck, and either way, it will be an exciting experience!

25. Nichole

First, I hate that nasty drink, and I am beginning to think no-one really knows quite what to do with gestational diabetes. I’ll spare you the details of why. Be thankful you passed.
    Secondly, it’s nice to know there’s someone else out there more scared of an epidural than the pain. πŸ™‚ I’ve had four babies without getting an epidural (2 without any pain meds because I missed the window for stadol – OUCH), and was toying with the idea of trying it this time around until I started thinking about needles in my back. I’ll take the pain. πŸ™‚
    Congratulations on your baby! I’m glad you’ll be in a hospital, and am confident you can have a natural birth. But if you don’t for some reason – you’ll have a BABY and that is truly what counts, not the birth experience (said by someone who has had both terrible and good experiences).

26. April

That orange or lime-flavored drink is the absolute worst! I could seriously go on an on about it, but I’ll try to give a shortened version. I sucked it up and drank the stuff with my first 2 pregnancies. I passed both of them, but actually developed GD later with #2 despite my diet. Unfortunately because I had passed that dumb test earlier it went unnoticed until a week before delivery. They made me do the 3 hr test at that point even though when they tested my blood sugar randomly it was already off the charts! I actually ended up on the floor in the doctors office from that the drink since my blood sugar was high to start with. Oddly with #3 I was able to talk my doctor out of it since he had already put me on diabetic medicine (due to GD with the 2nd), but I had to fight really hard. Why on earth would you make a pregnant woman take that stuff if she is already being treated for the possible condition??! It makes no sense! I was able to get him to test my a1c instead, but it’s very frustrating how hard I had to fight for that. Now in my first trimester with #4, I already plan to fight hard(once again)against this drink and test. I think A1c is a better indicator of what’s going on, and blood sugars should be tested at least at every appt. because it can be developed at any time during the pregnancy, not just up until testing.I really think that a lot of OB doctors just go by the book with this particular test regardless of the situation, despite the common sense arguments against it. They do it because it saves their butts if something goes wrong. Period.

27. Brittany Shook

I am exactly the same way about needles, etc. On the bright side…for some reason, I can attest to the fact that it’s completely different during labor and delivery. It’s as though you get an extra measure of “toughness” and you can just handle more than normal. I completely agree with your shock and outrage that standard protocol during pregnancy includes drinking a large dose of artificially flavored and dyed drink. Ridiculous that they have not found a more natural way to get blood sugars to rise in order to be tested. I bet they will in the future….when enough women are shocked and outraged.

28. amanda

Sorry if someone already wrote about this, but I couldn’t read all the comments and I wanted to share my experience with the orange drink. I am 28 weeks now and this is my third pregnancy. Somehow I was never made to take this test with my first two kids, but this time they wanted me to (each child was with a different doctor). 6 months before getting pregnant, I found out I have a problem with corn. When they gave me the drink in the office, I read the label and saw how many corn ingredients were in it. I was panicking for about 5 minutes until the doctor came in. I told her my problem and she said they would figure something out so that I wouldn’t have to use the drink. The office called me back two days later and said I would have to come into the office first thing in the morning, without have eaten anything, and first have my blood taken. Next, I have to eat at least 50 grams of carbs, wait an hour and then have my blood taken again. I am planning to eat a couple of lara bars or the almond pancakes found on this site with lots of maple syrup. After looking things up, I found each of these should have at least 50 grams of carbs. I hope it works.

29. Robin

I am currently 26 weeks pregnant with my fourth baby. I see CNM’s at a birth center and they give the option of eating certain foods instead of the awful glucola. With baby # 1 and # 3 I ate the suggested foods instead of the drink and my results were fine. With baby # 2 I decided to take the “easy” way out and drink that awful stuff. Well, guess what. I failed the 1 hour glucose tolerance test and had to do the 3 hour one. I was so sick and jittery from that stuff. I did pass the second time. I really think that glucola creates false positive results, so this time I will eat the food instead.

I also interviewed a home birth midwife as I may switch to her, and she said she looks for other factors to screen for gestational diabetes.

30. Samantha

I also want to thank you for your website and all the information you share! I am so sorry about the clogged duct–my youngest of two is nine months old and I have had the same issue since having her. OUCH! I’m not sure if it works with clogged ducts during pregnancy, but cabbage leaves have worked wonders for me! I am careful not to wear them too long, as they can reduce milk supply.

31. Stephanie Wilson

I am 31 weeks, and declined the gestational diabetes test (this is a fundamental right in the United States). I presented my argument (healthy diet, exercise regularly, no history and not overweight). The test has a 40% inaccuracy rate (which is probably why yours came back as failed).The medical professionals completely respected my decision and I am still cruising at 31 weeks and feeling fabulous. I can completely understand how you felt during the intervention class. I cried afterward and could not get that video off of my mind for days! Just remind yourself that your body knows exactly what to do during labor and the goal is healthy mom and baby no matter what happens. You are doing such a great job taking care of yourself, so I am sure it will be a great experience for you! Thank you for sharing your feelings and the info on your blog! I especially loved your natural birth control post. My husband and I got pregnant on the first try using the natural method and I love how in-tune I am with my body because of the program. It is THE WAY TO GO! πŸ˜€

32. Megan

Hey Megan! Thanks so much for sharing your pregnancy experiences. It seems that you and I are due at nearly the same time. I was wondering if you are planning on cooking and freezing some meals for after delivery. If so could you give us some ideas on what meals would work well for preparing ahead of time?

33. Kate

I’ve had 3 babies all at home and avoided that nasty juice. Sorry. I choose a home birth because I feared an epidural worse than I feared giving birth naturally.

Here’s my tip for coping during birth and it was something that my mid-wife used in her classes after I gave birth with baby #1.

When a contraction starts, start counting. Slowly, evenly, and up to 100. You’ll notice by the time you get to 50 that will be the worst and then as you get to 100 it will start to slow. On hard contractions you may go over 100 but it will let you know that it’s longer, more painful and you may be moving into transition.

A woman in her sixties gave me this tip and it was so helpful. i was rocking as I was counting but it saved me. I was a week overdue, labored for 9 hours pushed for 3 of those.

You’re going to do great. You’ll find your rhythm as you settle into the birth process. Your body is awesome and will do what it needs to do. Good luck!

34. Traci

Just a quick note about the glucose solution for readers. I, too, decided to finally put my foot down on this in my fourth pregnancy. I live in the northern suburbs (borderline rural) of Atlanta, GA. Things are not progressive here, so I was prepared to be disappointed by my also “by the book” OB. To my joyful surprise, he offered me the option to test my blood sugar with a glucose monitor 4 times a day for 2-3 days and present him with the results. The monitor was covered completely by my ins. with his prescription and I paid $20 total for the lancets and test strips. I passed! But more fulfilling to me was the chance to speak with him and one other OB in the practice about how harmful and unnecessary food dyes are! Don’t ever think you are too small to make a difference, ladies! Best wishes to everyone with your pregnancies and thanks SO much for your wonderful food blog!

35. Rosastef

I live in Iceland, 22 weeks with #2. I have never heard of this drink before, it sounds horrible and I world refuse the test. Here, Every time I see my midwife/dr I pee in a cup and dip a test strip in the cup, similar to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_test_strip#Glucose_test. It tests for glucose, protein and something else. The whole thing takes lΓ­ke a minute and I do it on my own, in a locked bathroom every feb weeks during my whole pregnancy. Very simple and nΓΆfn-invasive. It wouldnt surprise me of you could buy the test strips online…. Just wanted to share it as a possible alternative.

36. Heather

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I also have done as much as I could to ensure I don’t develop G.D. and still I failed the 1-hour test! It made me feel TERRIBLE. I felt so awful that I had some sort of panic attack and started crying and shaking really bad. I don’t normally consume much sugar. So, it took me about a week to recover. I was feeling very dizzy and craving sugar a lot. So then after the 3 hour test (which I did not sit down for; I stood for most of it and even walked around a little to avoid passing out), I felt even more starved for sugar….but I passed it with flying colors! My sugar levels were way below the threshold…The reason I had no way out of it was because I was still considered overweight because I started eating clean only 3 months before I became pregnant….I had lost 30 pounds and started to shape up and get healthier….but still overweight…so I’ve continued healthy eating for the most part during this pregnancy.

37. Lindsey

I know you probably posted this forever ago but I just read it. I wanted to tell you how I avoided the nasty orange drink. My husband and I told my doctor that I seriously would NOT drink that. So she said I could get a blood sugar reader and prick my finger every morning for 2 weeks and record it. So, I did and everything was fine. Just something for you to keep in mind in case you encounter the orange drink again!

38. Lucy

I’ve heard of healthy women getting a false positive on the 1 hour glucola, especially if they don’t normally binge on a bunch of sugar and carbs. I found Lily Nichols’ blog posts on the topic really helpful on PilatesNutritionist.com (she’s a real food dietitian who specializes in GD & wrote the book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes). Anyways, she failed the 1 hour screening, but like you, didn’t actually have GD. She goes through all the alternatives for screening for gestational diabetes.

Once I get to the point in my pregnancy where they want to screen me for it, I’m gonna have a LENGTHY talk with my doctor. I don’t think I want to put myself through drinking the glucola!!!