If you haven’t noticed, I’m pretty crazy about coconut oil. Not only is this versatile oil amazing for cooking and baking, it also makes an effective cleanser, moisturizer and diaper rash cream!
I typically can’t taste a difference among the various brands of coconut oil I’ve tried, but that isn’t the case with this new brand: Skinny Coconut Oil.
It really tastes like raw coconut!
Skinny Coconut Oil is a small, family-run company that uses a unique process to extract 100% raw coconut meat from Vietnamese coconuts, never heating the oil above 75˚F. This cold-press process ensures the integrity of the medium-chain fatty acids and lauric acid that are attributed to boosting your metabolism! The proof is in the taste– it has a brighter, almost floral-like, coconut taste when compared to other coconut oils on the market.
Skinny Coconut Oil is 100% pure, all natural and the only coconut oil approved by dentists for oral medicinal use. Benefits associated with coconut oil include:
- Boosts Your Metabolism – Studies in both animals and humans have shown that a diet high in unsaturated oils lowers the body’s metabolic rate, but coconut oil can actually raise the body’s metabolic rate, which helps with weight loss.
- Helps fight infections – Coconut oil is the earth’s richest source of a special fat called lauric acid, which is also found in mother’s milk to prevent newborns from getting sick. This fat kills invaders that are harmful to the body, like viruses, bacteria, fungus and some parasites.
- Improves Brain Health – Glucose is the main fuel source for the brain, but when cells become insulin resistant, as is often seen among those with cognitive decline, the glucose can’t get into the cells as easily and the brain’s main energy supply is impaired. Coconut oil can provide the body with an alternative fuel source, thanks to its medium-chain fatty acids which can be converted to a fuel called ketones. The brain’s ability to use this alternative fuel can result in an almost immediate improvement in the ability to process information and make decisions.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Disease – The consumption of unsaturated vegetable oils, like soybean, canola, and corn oils, along with the trans fats found in processed foods are thought to be one of the biggest contributors to heart disease. These unsaturated fats are easily oxidized, which can cause a build-up of plaque on the walls of arteries. The saturated fat in coconut oil does not readily oxidize, making it a better choice for heart health.
- Balances Blood Sugar – Coconut oil is a rich source of medium-chain fatty acids, a type of fat that is absorbed in the small intestine and immediately transported to the liver to be used as energy. Unlike sugar and starches, the body doesn’t require insulin to utilize this type of fat for energy, which is beneficial for both diabetics and those with insulin resistance. Coconut oil can also help stabilize weight, which can improve blood sugar levels.
It also happens to taste great! Since coconut oil is solid at room temperature, it makes an excellent addition to raw desserts, like my raw chocolate cheesecake and almond butter fudge, and works well as a vegan substitute for butter in most recipes.
**THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED**
‘Tis the season for giving, so the folks at Skinny Coconut Oil are offering to send TWO of my readers a free jar of their delicious, cold-pressed coconut oil!
- Leave a comment below this post, sharing your favorite way to use coconut oil.
- For a bonus entry, share this giveaway via social media (Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest) and leave a separate comment letting me know you have done so. Each comment counts as one entry.
This contest is open to US residents only through Sunday, December 8th at 11:59pm PST.
The statements above have not been evaluated by the FDA, and this product is not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease.
Disclosure: Skinny Coconut Oil sent me a complimentary jar of coconut oil, but I am under no obligation to post a positive review or host this giveaway. As always, I will never feature a product on this website that I wouldn’t be happy to use in my own home!