Japanese Restaurant-Style Carrot Ginger Dressing

This dressing is the result of a recent take-out dilemma.

SONY DSC

Our out-of-town guests were debating over several take-out options for a lazy dinner at home, when one of our friends decided she was ultimately craving a salad. Specifically, the type from a Japanese restaurant. We have yet to find a suitable delivery option in that department, so I offered to try my hand at making the carrot ginger dressing she was craving. Luckily, it was a success!

This tasty combination of carrots and ginger is hard to beat, and tastes surprisingly authentic, even without the traditional soy-based ingredients, like miso and soy sauce. (Which I didn’t happen to have on hand at the time.) If you’re anything like me, you might already have all of these ingredients in your kitchen and can enjoy this salad dressing tonight! I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Japanese Restaurant-Style Carrot Ginger Dressing
makes about 1 1/2 cups

Adapted from The Food Network

1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped ginger
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons raw coconut vinegar
2 tablespoons raw honey
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water
3/4 teaspoon salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until completely smooth. (If using a high-powered blender like the Vitamix, there’s no need to shred the carrots beforehand!)

SONY DSC

Japanese Restaurant-Style Carrot Ginger Dressing
Serves: 6-8

A sweet and spicy dressing similar to the popular dressing served at Japanese restaurants.
  • 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped ginger
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • 3 tablespoons raw coconut vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons raw honey
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until completely smooth. (If using a high-powered blender like the Vitamix, there's no need to shred the carrots beforehand!)
  2. Like most dressings, the flavor gets better over time, so I recommend chilling it in the fridge for an hour or two before serving. Store leftovers in a sealed glass jar in the fridge for up to 4 days.

The great thing about making salad dressings is that they are highly adaptable to suit your personal taste. I happen to love ginger, and the spicy kick that it adds to this dressing, but if you prefer a more mild flavor, you can always start off with less, then add more to taste. The same goes with any other ingredient! Since there’s no cooking or baking involved, you can always keep adding and adjusting the ingredients until the dressing tastes “just right” for you.

Hope you enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of ginger-flavored dressings? I could drink this stuff with a spoon!

Hi, Iโ€™m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the bodyโ€™s detox organsโ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

29 thoughts on “Japanese Restaurant-Style Carrot Ginger Dressing

I used mixed greens that I already had in the fridge– but I imagine it would work well over most greens!

1. Cindy S.

I’ve never used raw coconut vinegar. What are the benefits to this as opposed to another vinegar? Does it add coconut flavor? I have all the ingredients except that vinegar. What would be another vinegar I could substitute and get similar flavor? This sounds delicious (like all your recipes I might add ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Raw coconut vinegar has a higher amino acid, vitamin and mineral content when compared to other vinegars, and is a bit lower in acidity. I think a rice vinegar would work well as a substitute in this recipe, since that’s what is typically called for in this style of dressing.

1. Cindy S.

Thanks Megan for the quick reply – know you are busy with your cute little one! All of your recipes are delicious! Thank you! All I’ve tried are great!

2. Brittany S.

Yay! My boyfriend and I have been trying to recreate our favorite sushi place’s dressing for a while now with little success. This might be it! Any suggestions to replace the raw coconut vinegar? It sounds awesome but I’ve never seen this at my store =( Apple Cider Vinegar maybe?

Apple cider vinegar might be more pungent in flavor, so I’d start with less and add more to your taste.

3. Abbi*tarian

This sounds tasty! I bookmarked it & look forward to making it :0). I do have all the ingredients except the raw coconut vinegar, but that may be worth getting as I wonder if it’s a less acidic vinegar. I already have rice vinegar. Would that be a good fit for this & be less acidic than other vinegars? Wisely or not I’ve been avoiding vinegar because it’s acid-forming, & I have acid reflux. But I’ve also heard that vinegar can help with acid reflux? Thank you for any light you can shine on my quandary, & thank you for always sharing your fantastic recipes!

Rice vinegar should definitely provide a similar flavor! I’m not sure about the acid refulx issue in regards to vinegar, but I’ll be sure to let you know if I come across any reliable info on that.

2. Cindy S.

Acid reflux occurs when the sphincter valve doesnโ€™t close all the way & occurs when it needs more acid to digest your food. Do you drink a lot of water during meals? Try to drink 4 oz. or less at meals โ€“ If you want more to drink โ€“ have it at least 30 min prior to meal or wait 1 ยฝ hrs. after meal. Our dr. told us to have a little vinegar or pickle juice at the end of a meal to help digest our food. As you get older, your body isnโ€™t producing as many enzymes needed to break down food but drinking too much water at meals can create the same thing as the water dilutes the enzymes so the enzymes arenโ€™t as effective in breaking down the food. (Iโ€™m not a dr. โ€“ this is just what a doctor told us years ago……………………when my husband was experiencing acid reflux. He started drinking less water during meals and takes 1 or 2 teaspoons of pickle juice after dinner and the acid reflux went away. Also allow 2 hours after meals before going to bed.)

4. Missy

My boyfriend and I have been going to Japanese restaurants lately specfically for that dressing…he hates salad because he doesnt like many dressings except for this one. He said he would eat more salad if we found out how to make this dressing so thank you so much, there will be many more salads in his future!

5. Sarah

Thank you for this awesome recipe! I’ve been loving it ๐Ÿ™‚ ?? you said it’s good for 4 days in the fridge… I made it 4 days ago and still have half the amount left.. can I go beyond those 4 days? :/

6. Cadie

This sounds delicious…I’ve always loved the dressing that comes on salads at Japanese restaurants…I could drink it it’s so good! I’ll definitely be trying this one!

7. Marisa

There was a Japanese restaurant where I went to college that had the best ginger dressing, haven’t been able to find anything as good in my local restaurants. Who knew I could make it in my own kitchen. Thanks Megan!!

8. Rachel

This was delicious!!! I have been making many of your recipes for my family, and we have yet to come across one we didn’t like!! I am really excited about your cookbook. I can’t wait to try out more recipes! Thank you for creating such delicious, healthy recipes! It is much appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Sara

This recipe is spot-on even without the addition of miso. I used green onion as that’s all I had in the house, and it worked wonderfully well. Thanks for another hit, Megan ๐Ÿ™‚

10. kelly

I just made this dressing but didn’t have coconut vinegar so I used braggs ACV OMG this is the greatest tasting thing ever. It’s exactly like a ginger dressing I used to buy at the grocery store. This is amazing.

11. Sasha

Do you know if coconut vinegar is ok to eat when pregnant? The raw factor is throwing me… And I have been overanylyzing my food choices lately! ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Al Steiner

Made it tonight. My wife and I loved it straight out of the blender on spring mix. Going to try it tomorrow on stir fry chicken. Thanks!

13. Petra

This dressing is just amazing! I made it with apple cider vinegar, same amount as for the coconut yoke and it worked out wonderfully well.