Dairy-free Corn Chowder

I’m really excited about this corn chowder.

corn-chowder

Austin had asked me to make some “New England Clam Chowder” for a Super Bowl-themed Patriots post last week, but the truth is, I don’t love the idea of working with clams. Fresh ones sound intimidating, and canned ones sound… unappealing. So, I asked him if I could make corn chowder, instead. Totally un-Super-Bowl-related, but totally delicious.

The restaurant I worked at through college actually made the best corn chowder I’ve ever tasted, so I tried to re-create their version from memory. I’m sure they used cream in theirs, but I decided to use fresh Yukon gold potatoes as the “thickener” in this version. When pureed with an immersion blender, this soup becomes nice and thick, just like the corn chowder I remember, without the need for dairy! Yukon gold potatoes also pack a whopping dose of vitamin C in each serving, which can help boost iron absorption and skin health.

This soup is so delicious, Austin has requested it for dinner twice in the last week– we both can’t get enough! I hope you enjoy it just as much.

Dairy-free Corn Chowder (Vegan)
Serves 4 to 6

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 cups water
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 pound frozen organic corn kernels
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 to 3 teaspoons sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Chopped chives, for garnish

corn-chowder-recipe

Use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the pot, leaving as much texture as you like. Alternatively, you can transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, then add the blended soup back to the other half of the soup for a thick, chowder-like texture. (Be careful when blending hot liquids– use a dishtowel to cover the vent at the top of the machine, so that the steam pressure doesn’t cause the lid to pop off!)

Season with additional salt (I used 3 teaspoons in total) and black pepper to taste, then serve warm with chopped chives, if you like.

dairy-free-corn-chowder

Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!

5 from 8 votes
Dairy-free Corn Chowder
A creamy, dairy-free chowder that tastes totally decadent without the need for cream!
Servings: 4 -6
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 yellow onion , chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper , chopped
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes , cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 pound frozen organic corn kernels
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
  • Chopped chives , for garnish
  1. Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat and saute the onion and pepper until tender, about 8 minutes. Add in the water, potatoes, corn, thyme, and 2 teaspoons of salt. Bring the water to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat, simmering until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
  2. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup directly in the pot, leaving as much texture as you like. Alternatively, you can transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, then add the blended soup back to the other half of the soup for a thick, chowder-like texture. Season with additional salt and black pepper to taste, then serve warm with chopped chives, if you like.
  3. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days. Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite soup? My other favorite is Mulligatawny Soup– I’ll have to tackle that one next!

21 thoughts on “Dairy-free Corn Chowder

1. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden

This soup looks marvelous! Like you alluded to, my biggest gripes with soups are the heavy cream added. I’m not 100% against dairy or anything, just don’t love the calories and think to myself for the same amount of calories, I could have eaten a [fill in the blank]. My kids gobble down a good soup too which as a mom is kind of flattering. I had no idea Yukon Gold potatoes were that chock-full of Vitamin C! My skin needs all the help it can get. Sometimes, I do believe potatoes are unfairly treated and are blamed for weight gain like many carbs are. Eager to try this with my new immersion blender ~ my MIL thoughtfully got me one for Christmas!!!

2. Robin

I always loved my homemade corn chowder, but it hasn’t been the same since i had to go dairy free. I also can’t eat potatoes. I’m going to try your recipe using white sweet potatoes because they were awesome in your dairy free “queso” dip. I love bacon in my corn chowder.

3. Jenny

You have out done yourself again. I just made this soup and it was AMAZING. It’s so nice and creamy. I love that the ingredients are so simple and clean. I have to admit, I did add a tsp of Better n’ chicken Bouillon for a little flavor. However, next time, I will leave that out because I’m sure it would still be great without it. With ingredients like these, I don’t have to worry about counting calories lol. You’re recipes are so wonderful. Thank you for your creativity.

4. Abbi*tarian

I look forward to making this! My favorite soup is loaded baked potato, so I love that you made a corn chowder with my favorite type of potato – total win! I found I can’t eat bell peppers very often. Do you have a suggestion for a bell pepper substitute that would compliment this recipe? I also look forward to seeing your Mulligatawny Soup recipe. I hadn’t heard of it until I read this post & “had” to research it right away. It sounds neat!

5. Pingback: Snow Day. Yes, Another One… | Team Sulbaran

6. Pingback: Scientists figure out why popcorn pops

7. Melissa

This was absolutely delicious, Megan! I made it tonight and it turned out awesome. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks so much!

8. Maureen

Made this over the weekend and it is terrific. I used 2 cups of chicken stock for half of the liquid because I wanted to use it up. I then lowered the salt to about 1 teaspoon. I’m not dairy free so added a little Greek yogurt to the bowls. However, it definitely stands on its own for those who want dairy free. I love your soups!

9. Christina E.

Hooray! I gave up (or DEEPLY minimized) my dairy intake about 6 months ago and I LOVE corn chowder. Whenever I see it, I’ve been totally bummin’ that I couldn’t have any. So, I went looking today and there was a 5-star non-dairy corn chowder… Sign me up! Hubbie was sweet and picked up the ingredients on his way home and the test was moving right along…
    First of all, super easy to make. I chopped my potatoes into tiny cubes, because that’s how I like it, so it took a few minutes longer. I did reduce the salt to about 1.5 tsp and the thyme to about 3/4 tsp. Everything was easy breezy. Mini-victory… as long as it tastes good…
    Next, the taste test. My son said he would’ve liked it a little thicker and with some meat in it (I think he might just want some Shepherd’s Pie), but he still said that it was good. My husband said it was “just good. No changes necessary”… and I agree! It was delicious and allowed me to have some scrumptious Corn Chowder again!!!! Woo Hoo!!! THANK YOU, Detoxinista!!!!
    I guess my only question would be, does anyone have any advice to increase the protein content? My best thoughts were some black beans thrown in to the pot or throw some cooked chickpeas into the blender with the soup. And I just saw the cashew suggestion, so I’ll try that! Anyone else have any other suggestions?

10. Illaria

My family from Nebraska gave me some fresh corn and I was looking for a good corn soup that was not cream based. My finicky hubby love this recipe. I didn’t have potatoes in the house, I used corn and zucchini as substitutes. I also made my own chicken stock instead of water. I also used parsley instead of chives, but it still had a good flavor. My husband suggested I add a little kick of jalapenos for the next time. I’ll have to try it next time. Two Yums Up!

11. Christine

I made this tonight using homemade chicken stock in place of water and it was SOOO good!! My husband added some ham and he loved it as well (and he is hard to please with healthier recipes!)

I’m so glad to hear that! My husband is hard to please with healthier recipes, too– which makes him an excellent critic before I post a recipe. 😉

12. Dana

This is so comforting and delicious yet nice and simple. It comes together really quick w/ minimal dirty dishes in prep work. I make this often and add shredded chicken for my husband & son – we all love it! Can’t wait for No Excuses!