The Easiest Cauliflower Pizza Crust

When I shared this recipe for cauliflower pizza crust back in 2012, I thought I had hit the jackpot. The cauliflower pizza crusts I had made prior to this one had been soggy, greasy, and basically felt like I was putting pizza toppings onto an omelet, but this recipe was different.

best-cauliflower-pizza

(photo credit: Nicole Franzen, from Everyday Detox)

My friend and mentor, Doris Choi, taught me the secret to making a crust that is much more bread-like: you need to wring out the cooked cauliflower removing all of the excess water. (Using soft goat cheese instead of cheddar helps improve the texture, too.)

The only problem with the original recipe is that when you cook the cauliflower and then wring it out in a dishtowel, you could potentially burn your hands. The cooked cauliflower is piping hot! Of course, you can wait for it to cool before starting the process, but then you have to wait longer.

I’m not that patient.

frozen-cauliflower-pizza-crust

So, you can imagine how happy I was to discover that you don’t have to cook the cauliflower (at all!) when you start with frozen cauliflower. All you have to do is let in thaw in the fridge the night before you want to make pizza. If you have a copy of my cookbook, you know that this is the only method I use now to make cauliflower pizza crust. It’s SO much faster! I like to make a double-batch of this recipe, to make two large pizza crusts at once– the crusts freeze beautifully, so I always have a frozen pizza on hand!

I hope you enjoy it as often as I do. I’ve made a quick video to help guide you though the process!

The Easiest Cauliflower Pizza
Makes 1 large crust

2 pounds frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup chèvre (soft goat cheese)
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon sea salt

ı. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, pulse the cauliflower florets several times, until a ricelike consistency is achieved. Pour the cauliflower into the center of a thin dish towel, then twist it up and use your hands to firmly wring out moisture. Quite a lot of liquid should be released, leaving you with a dry lump of cauliflower pulp.
3. Place the cauliflower pulp in a large mixing bowl and mix in the egg, chèvre, oregano, basil, and salt, stirring well to create a uniform mixture.
4. Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the baking sheet and use your hands to press the crust firmly into a large circular or rectangular crust, about ¼ inch thick. Be sure to pack the cauliflower mixture together firmly and evenly, leaving no thin spots where the crust may crack.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is dry and golden, then carefully flip the crust over and bake for another ı0 minutes. Use immediately as a pizza crust or allow the flatbread to cool and slice it to use as sandwich bread.
6. To complete the pizza, add your favorite sauce and toppings and then bake for another ı0 minutes at 400ºF, until the topping are heated thoroughly. Slice and serve hot.

The Easiest Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Serves: 1 large crust

This cauliflower pizza recipe is as FAST as it gets, and has a truly bread-like texture!
  • 2 pounds frozen cauliflower florets, thawed
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • ½ cup chèvre (soft goat cheese)
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, pulse the cauliflower florets several times, until a ricelike consistency is achieved. Pour the cauliflower into the center of a thin dish towel, then twist it up and use your hands to firmly wring out moisture. Quite a lot of liquid should be released, leaving you with a dry lump of cauliflower pulp.
  3. Place the cauliflower pulp in a large mixing bowl and mix in the egg, chèvre, oregano, basil, and salt, stirring well to create a uniform mixture.
  4. Transfer the cauliflower mixture to the baking sheet and use your hands to press the crust firmly into a large circular or rectangular crust, about ¼ inch thick. Be sure to pack the cauliflower mixture together firmly and evenly, leaving no thin spots where the crust may crack.
  5. Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is dry and golden, then carefully flip the crust over and bake for another ı0 minutes. Use immediately as a pizza crust or allow the flatbread to cool and slice it to use as sandwich bread.
  6. To complete the pizza, add your favorite sauce and toppings and then bake for another ı0 minutes at 400ºF, until the topping are heated thoroughly. Slice and serve hot.

**VEGAN VARITAION: If you want a dairy-free and egg-free crust, try my Vegan Cauliflower Pizza Crust recipe!

This easier and faster pizza crust is a weekly staple for us, so I hope you enjoy it just as much! For more easy and healthy comfort food recipes like this one, along with a complete meal plan and shopping list, be sure to pick up a copy of my cookbook here.

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite type of pizza crust to make?

61 thoughts on “The Easiest Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1. Karen

I wonder if it would be of any benefit to strain out moisture and run it through a dehydrator first. Or if one could just add some type of binder and dehydrate if all together and forgot baking if that would also lead to a crispy crust.

1. Mary

I used fresh cauliflower, turned out great!!! And this is so delicious, I am on the Sanford Profile diet, ( basically no carbs) and it was AMAZING!!!!!!

2. Amy

Agreed – I used a 2lb. head of fresh cauliflower, as well. Put it through the grater blade on my food processor, then microwaved it for 6 minutes, then (carefully!) squeezed out the excess H2O and then followed the recipe from there. Turned out WILDLY perfect! Love It!! 😀 <3

2. leslie

I still don’t get how to flip it over? I made it last night and it was so good but it broke apart wen I tried to flip it. Next time I will try making maybe 3 smaller ones?

1. Teresa

I use a cheap pizza tin from the store. I place a parchment sheet in it and spray olive oil on the parchment sheet. Bake for thirty and the pull it out and use oven not place my hand in middle and flip the whole pizza pan over onto my pizza stone.

3. Samantha

Hi Megan,

Probably a silly question, but I’m wondering if using some sheets of cheesecloth to wring out the moisture would work just as well? My dish towels are all very thick and never work out too well for this. Thanks!

4. Michelle

Hey Megan, Have you tried adding grated parmesan to this? Parm is so crispy when baked, so I’m wondering if it would make the crust even crispier.

5. Pamela

I don’t like goat cheese. Can you please let us know if we can substitute it with another cheese? I am dying to make this 🙂

Thanks#

6. Patty

I am lactose intolerant and can not have dairy. Can you sub the goat cheese for another ingredient or just omit it. Thanks

7. Shelly

Your cookbook is ridiculously good! I am so buying more for friends at Christmas. I look forward to trying something new everyday. I feel so healthy eating now so thank you so much for that! My only suggestion is in future book publications can the sizing of the numbers on the recipe measurements be increased? I know my smartphone has really done a number on my eyes but I had to buy a magnifying glass to see what the numbers are on the measurements as they are kind of small. Please don’t take that the wrong way. Just trying to help. Thanks so much!
    ps: I’m trying to give this recipe 5 stars but on my iPhone it’s only letting me go up to 2 stars regardless of how much I’m pressing the 5th star

8. Helen H

Very, very delicious! i just made it and my husband is already begging me to make it again. Two things: easier to deal with in a rectangle as it is quite tricky spreading it out. I also had to give it 40 mins rather than 30 in the early stages of baking.
    Thank you- I will try some of your other recipes now

9. Jacob

Megan, I’ve been running fresh cauliflower through my Omega slow-press juicer before making the dough. The juicer extracts all the moisture and leaves you with a dry, flower like pulp. I call it my CauliFlour 😉 I then use that with the egg and goat cheese to prep the dough. Works perfectly and super dry!

1. Thea

THANK YOU for sharing this tip … I was wondering what I could do without a food processor and you have just answered my question! Excellent 🙂

2. Paul Cooke

I was making the cauliflower crust and also juicing fresh veggies through my angel juicer,usually I throw the very dry waste pulp on my compost heap,(broccoli stems, carrots,beets,celery etc,) when a light went off in my head, this pulp would make a great pizza crust ingredient,probably needs no cooking, has anyone experimented with this idea,will try myself soon,regards paul

10. Mae

I love your other cauliflower pizza recipe but I’m excited that you have an easier version. Do you think if I froze a bag of already cut-up cauliflower that it would work the same way? After I thaw it out?

11. Kat

I feel silly asking, but how many bags of the Trader Joe’s frozen cauliflower does this take? I know a bag is 12 oz, but that is already riced.

12. Helen

Megan, where can I buy the Goat Mozzarella you show? I live in Manhattan (NYC). I’m baking the crust as i write this.

Thank you!

13. Nancy

You can use fresh cauliflower and dry-fry it in an open pan on top of the stove. I use a large non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Do not add oil or water – simple add prepared cauliflower into the pre-heated pan, toss for ~10 minutes and this will remove excess water. Be careful not to brown the cauliflower.

I have tried this and it is delicious!

BTW – I am going to try drying the cauliflower in the oven. This way I don’t have to stand over the stove tossing the cauliflower. If anyone else has already tried this, I’d love to know!

14. Maribel

I just bought your cook book about a month ago and I love it!! I was feeling down because I know I need some veggies in my life. SO, I goggled “how to make cauliflower rice and pizza” then BAM I saw a link to your site! Such a huge blessing and I love the video too! only because this is so very new to me and I need videos on some things. Thank you so much! you’re a life saver! =)

15. Martha E. Garza

I am on a low carb diet. I miss having pizza once in awhile. But Bread is one of he items I can not have. So, I’ve been looking through recipes to make the pizza crust with cauliflower. This is by far the easiest one I’ve seen. I will definitely try it and surprise my family with it. They are going to love it! Thanks for the recipe.

16. Linda Baker

Thank you for this amazing recipe! I use cream cheese instead of the goat, and it is delicious, even my husband loves it and… it is the only pizza crust I have ever seen him eat. Usually he throws away the edge crust of regular pizza. I would rate this recipe a 5 GOLD star!

17. Diona Vaughan

Trader Joes is now selling packages of riced cauliflower in the same area where you can find salad greens, fruit etc..This cuts the prep time tremendously!!

18. Caroline

I finally found frozen cauliflower after searching in several different grocery stores, so couldn’t wait to make this easier version of your pizza crust! Rather than wait until they had thawed in the fridge overnight, I used a handy trick for rapid thawing– place frozen veg in a large colander and pour bowling water over. The florets were ready to process and comfortable enough to handle almost immediately!

19. Bea

Hi! I am the biggest fan! thank you so much for sharing your recipes! I have been meaning to try this but i have no idea what to put on top lol! i would love to know what you used for the pizza on the picture 😉 thank you!

You can plug the URL of this recipe into MyFitnessPal.com and it will give you the nutrition info you need!

20. Mandi H.

This looks amazing. I’m new to your blog, and am in love with it already!! Will be trying this crust very soon.

21. Hélène

So this is a cauliflower mash youre making in the food processor. No need to rice the fresh cauli, just steam it and mash, then wring.
    I think mozzerella would work fine, it’s a soft cheese and not near the price of chèvre. But parmesan mite be good to add some too. Love parm!

22. BriAnne

I just found your site and I am in LOVE!!! I can’t wait to make this tonight! Quick question – if I make a double batch and freeze one of the crusts, how do I cook the frozen crust when I am ready to eat it? Thank you!!!!

23. Maz

This recipe seemed great until the part where it says to flip the crust. It feel apart immediately. There has to be a better way

1. Susie

Hi. I just made today. I simply made sure the parchment paper was loose, put a second pan on top? Held both ends together and flipped. Worked quite well!! Hope this helps.

24. Susie

Made for the first time tonight! Fantastic! Your squeezing method of drying cauliflower is far superior to the pan frying method is tried before. Thanks!!
    Maybe you need to suggest to your readers that turning the crust is simple if you put a second pan on top and simply flip? Worked quite well.

25. Brenda Bryant

I live in Gloucester, Va so your recipe is really getting around. I am trying to lose weight and this recipe will
    be GREAT for any time of the day. I followed your instructions and I was amazed at my dinner; it was simply Delicious. I brushed the hot pizza crust with a homemade vinaigrette dressing before adding my special homemade sauce. Then I added onions and peppers with an alternative cheese. It Was Great! And yes, I will make it again and again

26. Denise

If you buy cauliflower that is already riced (trader joes), do you have to cook it in the boiling water, and how many bags do you use for 1 crust. Thank you.

The weight won’t change, so you’ll need 2 pounds regardless of how it’s packaged. That means you’ll need either two 1-pound bags, or close to three of the 12-ounce bags.

27. Crystal

I have tried both of these cauliflower crust recipes and I must be doing something wrong. The first one got thrown out and I’m halfway through my second attempt and I’m losing faith, the edoes are already burnt. The only thing easy about this is mixing it in the bowl. I can’t say that this is anything other than something that makes your kitchen smell great then leaves you hungry wishing for a premade crust that didn’t waste your time and you could actually eat. Seriously what’s with the flipping it? I’ve wasted so much time and effort on this horrible recipe. So yeah thanks.