What I Ate: In the Office (And news!)

I’ve got lots of news for you today, starting with the fact that we have moved. Our little family recently left California and moved back to the Midwest, where we have lots of family (yay for grandparents!) along with a lower cost of living and WAY less traffic.

IMG_7906

(While shopping for our new house, our son thought all the front yards were “parks” because he had never seen so much grass! Ha ha.)

Moving back home means I’m working in my company’s office again, which is actually a refreshing change after working from home for so long (and pulling my hair out somedays) with a toddler– with no help. What people don’t tell you about working from home while also staying at home with a child, is that you’re not really “having it all.” You basically feel like you’re doing a bad job at everything all day long, and the work never ends because whatever you don’t finish during the day you just end up doing at night. I was slowly losing my mind in that situation… so, in this case, change is very good.

One more change that we’re pretty excited about?

We have another baby on the way! Our timing is a little crazy this time, because I basically found out I was pregnant the day I signed the deal for my next cookbook– which means I had to develop 90% of the recipes during my first trimester, when all food sounded terrible. However, my goal is always to make healthy comfort food that appeals to even picky eaters, and for the first three months I was the definition of a picky eater– no vegetables sounded good, and it truly felt like a chore to eat anything healthy! So, if these recipes sound good to me, I hope they’ll sound good to you, too. I’ll be sure to share more details about the book when I can (it won’t be released until next year), and I’ll probably share more on the pregnancy as it progresses, too. (You can see the posts from my first pregnancy here.)

Okay, back to the theme of this post– food!

I’m hoping that working in an office again will help me to provide you with more packed lunch and snack ideas, because I need them now more than ever myself. Up until recently, I wasn’t that excited about food, but I hit the 18-week mark this week and all of the sudden I think the baby must be having a growth spurt, because I’m suddenly starving every 2 hours! So, here’s a peek at what I brought to my office yesterday:

healthy-office-snacks

Morning: Before I leave for work, I make a BIG batch of green smoothie for my family to share. My husband and I both use these 24 ounce cups to take the smoothies to our offices, and my son gets his half-way full in a matching cup so that his shake looks like ours– which is very important at his age! Most mornings I make the Chocolate Superfood Shake (recipe in this bonus pack), because it’s loaded with enough fat and fiber to keep me full for the whole morning, and I add two handfuls of spinach, which blends right into the chocolate color.

That smoothie used to keep me full until lunch, but currently I need a little extra something around 10 or 11am. I’ll usually polish off a large serving of fruit (yesterday it was the entire box of raspberries), and maybe a handful of dried mulberries, too.

Lunch: I packed a double-serving of my Quinoa Pasta Salad to share with my son over my lunch break. I topped my serving with a hefty portion of crumbled feta, and then I also shared some baked chips and hummus with the little guy, because he’s still pretty leery of quinoa. (Our deal is that he has to take at least one bite before he moves onto one of his other favorites– like hummus or guacamole.)

Late Afternoon: I snacked on half the box of watermelon that I had brought from home, and later I ended up eating three big pieces of my chocolate freezer fudge. (An easy thing to keep in the work freezer at all times!) The recipe I’ve been using lately will be in the next book, but this one is similar.

Dinner: When I get home from work, we usually share more fruit with my son– lately it’s been pears and oranges. And then Austin offered to pick up dinner, so I wouldn’t have to cook, which I happily accepted! My favorite take-out lately has been a large Greek salad with a side of white bean hummus. My son eats the hummus straight with a spoon, and our local pizza place offers sliced cucumbers on the side instead of bread as a gluten-free option. (Sometimes we still get the flatbread, but I love that more places are offering healthy options!)

Late-Night: I’m still polishing up the final recipe list for the next cookbook, so around 9 or 10pm I’ll usually work on one more recipe– and last night it was vegan tacos! I had a few sample bites of that, along with an experimental avocado crema, before working on my computer for the rest of the night. (There are several late nights in my future, but at least it’s only temporary.) The leftover tacos will be my packed lunch for today, so it all works out, even if I feel like a crazy person for cooking so late at night. Ha ha!

So, that’s my super-long update for the week. If you made it this far, I’m impressed!

Reader Feedback: What are YOU eating this week?

48 thoughts on “What I Ate: In the Office (And news!)

1. Anna

Megan thanks for this post! I have a 6 mo old and have been working from home as well. I do have help for part of the time but really it is HARD! I have felt a lot like I do nothing well 🙁 on some days or that if I do things well Im totally wiped out by days end. Thanks for keeping it real and sharing a bit more about your family and congratulations on your little one to come.

I have often thought that we would be happier living some place with a lower cost of living and more greenspace. But we’re CA born and raised and our families are here, we aren’t in LA but just south of Santa Barbara, its beautiful but definitely at a cost.

2. Katie

Congratulations on your pregnancy and second cookbook! We recently left California too. Moving with a toddler is a lot! Can’t wait for more baby posts!

1. Camila

I am also curious since I live in Indiana 🙂
      Congrats on new house and baby coming!!!! I am excited for your new cookbook!

1. Kate

Wow, whoda thunk? I’m in Garnett! (Tiny lil town south of Ottawa). Congrats on all the big news, move, another baby…yay you!

3. Eveline

Congratulations on the little bun in the oven Megan. Glutenfree? 😉 I’ve been a fan of your work for a couple of years now, keep it up! Your cookbook even made it to Holland (where I’m from). Totally loving it, can’t wait for your second one to come out!

4. Amber

Oh my gosh, you finally got to move back to KC?! CONGRATS! I know you’ve wanted to for a long time. Not to mention, congrats on baby #2! We’re thinking to do the same, maybe next year… Are you in OP? If you ever need a crunchy local mom-friend, we live in South OP now and since I stay home, I feel like I have zero friends, let alone like-minded friends. But I’m sure you’re crazy busy. Anyway, welcome back!

Thanks, Amber! I would love to get together– but, I am in the office during the week right now. (I’ll be back at home when baby is born in September.) We can email and figure out a time that works well to schedule a playdate!

5. Michaela

Big big congratulation to all of you

I am feel the same as working from home ….

We plane another baby too but my son is still BF …so have you stoppped before getting pregnant I am little afraid to not have much nutrition for both baby

Thanks a lot

We do still breastfeed, though my son is 2 1/2 so he is really only nursing for comfort at this point, and only once or twice a day for brief periods of time. I’m hoping he’ll want to self-wean by the time the new baby arrives, but I’ve also heard that tandem nursing can be great, so we’re just going to see how it goes…

6. sam

Congrats and welcome back to the Midwest! I grew up in Overland Park, KS. Thanks for always being such a “feel-good” healthy living blog to read. Ever since I started reading several years ago, you have opened my eyes and allowed me to be more adventurous with food. Thank you!

7. Krystal

Congrats on all the exciting things to come! I still have not received the cookbook bonus pack 🙁 and this Chocolate Shake is always so tempting! I followed all of the pre-order rules, so I’m not sure what went wrong…Please help!!

8. Megan

Congratulations! I’m pregnant too and cannot imagine creating and tasting recipes during those early months! Well, i bet the recipes in the new cookbook will be friendly to morning sickness mamas everywhere 🙂

9. Colleen

Excellent news. I know it has to be a bit weird for complete strangers to hope you would have more children, but the world needs people like you to have a huge family. At 35 not wanting kids my whole life I have recently heard the ticking of that clock and now want nothing more than to have a bunch of kids and to teach them in the Waldorf style, sadly I never even heard of that until looking through crafts and seeing some called “Waldorf-style”. Crazy how the heart changes, though deep down I always knew it was the right thing to do. Also I am glad that you moved away from that radiation plume 😉

10. janice

You describe working at home perfectly! Yayee for working at an office! yayee for new babies and yayee for new parks that are yours to keep! Congratulations on all your new changes!

11. Milissa

Congrats all around! How exciting to have a new baby on the way! I also live in the Midwest and I complain about the traffic (St. Louis, MO area) but I can’t imagine how much traffic L.A. must have. I’ve been cooking at all hours of the day and night, too, lately as I am launching my own food blog soon. This week I created an awesome smoothie reminiscent of a favorite concrete at a local frozen custard stand and it’s been requested most mornings. I created a really delicious Asian pasta salad using brown rice and quinoa pasta and my favorite creation this week was vegan sloppy joes. This one is all you– as a sweet treat, I made a two layer freezer fudge using your almond butter freezer fudge recipe and your homemade Nutella recipe. It was beyond delicious. I actually hid it in the freezer because it’s too good to share!

12. Karen

Congratulations!!! I’m so happy for you! I read your blog all the time. When you had your son shortly after I became pregnant. So I’ve learned so much from your honesty on here. Now we’re tryig for another one. I’ve benefited so much from your experiences and honesty. Please keep it up. Please keep up your authenticity. It comes through in your writing. I appreciate how much work you do. I as a mom I know how it feels to be stretched in so many directions. (Be in shape, work, be a good mom, keep a clean house. And keep your sanity) But because of it my family has benefited enormously. I hope to look to your blog for guidance for when you have your second!

13. Delphine

YAYYYY Congratulations on everything. Those are exciting news.
    We can’t wait for your second book to come out.

Regarding your pregnancy, I was wondering if you were using Baby Comp again?
    If so, how soon after you had your son did you start using it again?

Thanks again!

I did use it this time, too. I believe the instructions say that you have to sleep at least a solid 5 hours each night in order to get an accurate reading, so I didn’t start using it again until my son was 18 or 19 months old and FINALLY sleeping through the night!

14. Joanna

I felt the exact same way when I worked from home; I always felt pulled towards whatever I was not supposed to be doing at that moment (working vs being a mom and attentive to my kids) and yes, it meant most nights playing catch up. I now work part time outside of the home and everyone seems happier 😉 Ironic!
    Congrats on all of life’s new changes

15. laura moreno

HI Megan,
    I am looking for the recipe bundle that was included when I pre-ordered the book last year. I was one of the first to pre-order the book, in fact, as soon as you announced there WAS a book I went to pre order it. I do not recall ever receiving this digital recipe book and I would really like to try the chocolate shake in particular. Is there any way you can resend it?

Did you submit your preorder receipt? If not, send it to [email protected]

1. laura moreno

Hi Megan! Have you had a chance to look at the invoice yet? I sent it on Friday morning. I am looking forward to getting those recipes, especially the chocolate shake and the chickpea dish. I am a lifetime vegetarian and have always loved dishes like those.
        Thank you!

Sorry, I just turned in my second book on Friday and now I’m playing catch-up with my inbox. I’ve got over 3,000 emails to read, so I will do my best to get to it this week!

16. Nicole

I was so hoping your big news would be another baby. Yay, so excited I was right! Looking forward to hearing all about your second pregnancy. Also congrats on the move to Kansas and the new house. I’m so glad your son will have lots of space to run around in those big yards.

17. Babs

Super excited about baby and pregnancy posts, particularly since I’m only about 2-3 weeks behind you with my first! I hear you about it being hard to eat healthy in the first trimester – just hit 18 weeks today and still not feeling the veggie love which is super sad for me, but your progress is giving me hope!!

Best of luck with all the wonderful changes!!

18. Melissa

Wow, congrats! You amaze me, how the heck do you have time to work full time at home while caring for your baby at the same time? While also writing a cookbook?!?! I think I would be in the looney bin !
    Looking forward to hearing about your pregnancy. My daughter is a few months younger than your son, so I learned quite a bit from you!

19. Lyzz Kirk

Congrats on all the news!! Is wondering if that would be it, I was due pretty much the same time as you last time, and I’m expecting again myself. The world send very small sometimes! And I don’t know how you managed to work from home with no help, I know the feeling and happy for you that you are closer to family and have an office to go to.

20. VanillaMacaroon

Congratulations, Megan! I am currently pregnant with my first child and am also due in September. It’s great to have someone I know go through the same things as I am 🙂 I love seeing what you eat, it inspires me now that food sounds interesting again 😉 I wish you all the best in your new home. Take care!

21. Andrew

I take some fruit to work with me, a banana and a peach or an apricot if they’re in season. I eat one piece of fruit around about 11, when breakfast wears off, and for lunch I eat a garden salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers some olives and maybe green peppers) with tuna and anchovies (if I’m lucky). Sometimes Sardines or Mackerel or Chicken (if there’s leftover from dinner) for a change.