Easy Vegan Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

When I shared my Single Serving Buckwheat Cookies on social media last week, I had several readers mention that they wished I had a recipe to make a larger batch– they taste too good to only make two cookies! It can be tricky to increase a recipe by such a large amount, so I took the time to rework it and now I have a perfected recipe to share with you.

I originally made the single-serving recipe because I lacked self-control with freshly baked cookies and I wasn’t sure if I would actually like the taste of 100% buckwheat flour in a cookie. Buckwheat can be an acquired taste, but this larger batch is much more my speed now that I’m busier than ever. Spend just 20 minutes in the kitchen, and then enjoy them for the rest of the week!

Be aware that store-bought buckwheat flours can vary drastically in flavor. Many buckwheat flours, like this one by Bob’s Red Mill, are blue-ish gray in color, and are very bitter in flavor, so I highly recommend looking for one that is light or almost white in color (I found one in the bulk bins at my local Whole Foods).  You can also make your own light-colored buckwheat flour by simply grinding raw buckwheat groats in a coffee grinder or high-speed blender. Your taste buds will thank you!

Freshly ground buckwheat groats

While you might think increasing my original recipe to produce 6 times more cookies would be a piece of cake, I actually tried doing that first and I didn’t love the results. The cookies were too sweet and too dry all at the same time. After testing this recipe 5 more times, I finally found a ratio I love that makes a dozen cookies. The fact that they are nut-free, dairy-free, naturally sweetened, require only one type of flour, and are gluten-free is just icing on the cake! (Or icing on the cookie??)  I guess they could also be considered grain-free, since buckwheat is technically a seed… but that’s your call.

I hope you’ll enjoy them!

Easy Vegan Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves: 12

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, oil, water, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Then add in the vinegar, which will react with the baking soda to help the cookies rise a bit.
  3. Fold in the chocolate chips, then use a tablespoon to scoop the dough into 12 mounds spaced evenly apart on the lined baking sheet. Flatten each cookie with your hands, as these cookies will only spread slightly. Bake until the edges are firm, about 10 minutes at 350ºF. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Notes
If you'd like to replace some of the oil in this recipe, I've successfully made them using ¼ cup melted coconut oil with ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. In this case, please omit the water in the recipe. The resulting cookies will be softer due to the applesauce, like a cross between a cookie and a muffin top. If you'd like them to be firmer, place them in the fridge and serve cold.

I always recommend making a recipe as written before you modify it, but if you make a substitution please let us know how it works for you in the comments below! In general, real butter is the best substitute for coconut oil, but then this recipe will no longer be dairy-free and vegan.

Reader Feedback: Would you like to see more buckwheat recipes? Let me know what kind of recipes you’d like to see for Spring!

36 thoughts on “Easy Vegan Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. Debbie

I made the 2 last week, and I LOVED them. I’m not sure it would be good for me to have 12 in front of me, as I have NO self-control. I made the chick pea and avacado egg salad for lunch this week and ate 3/4 of it in one sitting.
    See… no self-control!

2. Bibi

I’m wondering if I soaked buckwheat groats overnight, then blended them the next day, if that would work in lieu of the flour? I know it wouldn’t be the same smooth texture, but I’m okay with that – I may give it a test try. Any thoughts? 🙂

3. Tia

I agree that the buckwheat flour from Bob’s Red Mill is too dark and bitter. My favorite is from Hodgson Mill. It’s light-colored and mild tasting. It makes excellent pancakes! I love your recipes and I can’t wait to try this one!

4. Lyn

Dear Megan, It is with a totally grateful heart that I write this !!! My husband has 4 – 8 1/2 by 11 sheets full of food allergies!!! I was delighted that I could make these cookies for him (clean -allergy wise). He absolutely LOVED them. It was so nice to be able to eat something that “looked normal, had normal texture, and had an excellent taste. You made both of our days !!!!! Now he has a treat I can make, and he can enjoy !!! Thank you for developing this recipe (with all of the other demands on your time!!! Gratefully, Lyn :]

5. Betsy Scher

Question

I used sucaunt sugar instead of coconut sugar in the buckwheat cookies last night. I also grounded the buckwheat groats but my cookie dough had no substance to hold them together. They’re were like powder? I used everything the recipe called for but the sugars were different? Could the sugar have changed consistentence? I can’t figure it out. Do you have any advice? I was so excited about the buckwheat cookies.

Love everything you make!!

6. Shea

Hi Megan,
    I just made these with Bob’s Red Mill flour using your oil-applesauce version of the recipe. The product was much darker but quite yummy. They reminded me of oreos (sans creme, obviously) and they were not bitter at all. Perhaps it was the applesauce.

1. Shea

Just made this again. The first time I made it, the mixture was super crumbly. To the point where I couldn’t form cookies. Still tasty, though.

So the second time around, I substituted half of the coconut sugar for date syrup (Date Lady brand). Additionally, I added the buckwheat flour last to give the apple cider vinegar a chance to react with the baking soda (and other ingredients). It was perfecto.

7. Erin L

I absolutely LOVE these cookies. Better than the single serving version. These are delicious. And like Lyn mentioned above me, it is SO nice to have food-allergy free “normal” foods for the hubby! THANK YOU. He loved them, too.

8. Jen @ sweetgreenkitchen.com

I’m excited to try this recipe. And thank you so much for the tip on grinding the buckwheat groats into a lighter buckwheat flour. The buckwheat flour I have is of the very dark variety and while I love it in my buckwheat and millet crepes, I have not enjoyed it in any baked goods, so I will definitely try grinding my own for these cookies, yum.

If you’re interested you can find my buckwheat millet crepe recipe here (recipe is gluten free and dairy free using plant milk and vegan butter, but does contain eggs) https://sweetgreenkitchen.com/2016/04/02/buckwheat-and-millet-gluten-free-crepes/

9. Felicia

Since I saw these cookies I can’t take my mind from them. I decided to bring them to the Easter Lunch we were invited. I hope they will be a success 😉 Thanks for sharing this 🙂
    Felicia

10. Eren

I made these and they are so good! They have a salty sweet taste. Mine turned out much darker than the photo, like a double chocolate cookie. I will be making these again.

11. Maria

Can’t wait to try these tomorrow now that my oven is back in business. My husband was just asking for homemade chocolate chip cookies. I just hope I have enough buckwheat flour for the cookie dough and the buckwheat banana pancakes tomorrow morning for breakfast. Yummm

12. darryl

I will be completely honest. These turned out absolutely terrible! Is this recipe accurate–1 cup buckwheat flour and only 2 TBS of water? tasted very powdery, baking soda like, dry; and did not appear anything like your photograph. Hoping for a corrected post of the recipe.
    thank you.

Did you include the 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil that the recipe calls for? That’s the other liquid and makes the dough borderline greasy when you’re forming these cookies. Buckwheat is a very drying flour and needs plenty of oil to keep the cookies from tasting overly dry. Also make sure your baking soda is fresh and that it bubbles when you add the vinegar to it– the two neutralize each other, so that there isn’t a baking soda taste.

13. Darryl

Hi, I made these again using your suggestions by assuring my baking soda was fresh and addition of cider vinegar bubbled. These were improved, but just okay. I continue to taste the baking soda. I wasn’t crazy about the ground buckwheat groats either, but I will try an already prepared darker buckwheat flour next time. Also, I agree with the previous commenter about coconut oil, which contains the highest amount of saturated fat. So it is very unhealthy despite all the health claims. Processed oils and animal products are the main causes of chronic conditions in populations.

14. Teri

The ingredientes should be mix al together or coconut oil and sugar have to be mix together first? Can’t wait to make them, thank you!