Even with everything I do to eliminate my exposure to toxins, one of the things I’ve been hesitant to upgrade is my makeup bag. When you find something that works, you want to stick with it!
Luckily, this pregnancy has encouraged me to look for some better options. I’m not one to wear makeup daily, but when I do, I want to make sure I’m not adding anything too toxic to my skin. After all, the skin is our body’s largest organ, and it will absorb anything and everything we put on it! A good rule of thumb for skin care is that if you can’t eat it, you probably shouldn’t be wearing it.
(Of course, I’m not recommending you try to eat your eye liner, either.)
The above photo shows the products that are currently in my makeup bag–> and I’m happy to say, I’m loving each and every one of them!
Here’s what I’m enjoying lately:
1. RMS Beauty. I actually use three products from RMS Beauty at the moment, all of which are formulated with raw, food grade, organic ingredients and are packaged in environmentally-friendly small glass jars. Talk about beauty products you can eat!
- “Un” Cover-Up. I’ve owned the same jar of this concealer for nearly 3 years, which either goes to show how long it lasts… or how little I use makeup. Either way, it’s still going strong! It evens out skin tone and moisturizes at the same time! I feel like it leaves my skin with a healthy, dewy glow every time I use it.
- Lip2Cheek. I don’t wear lipstick or blush often, which is why this two-in-one product is especially efficient for my needs. It can be subtle, when applied with a light touch, or more dramatic, for an evening out.
- Living Luminizer. I’ve also owned this little jar for nearly 3 years, and I love how it adds a subtle shine and healthy glow to my cheekbones!
2. Josie Maran Eye Shadow. It’s been a challenge for me to find a more natural eye shadow that doesn’t crease or smudge, and still creates a similar “smoky eye” look like the products I used to use. I had previously tried some organic eye shadow sticks, but I found them to be too sheer and a bit greasy on my eyelids. This eye shadow palette has been working fantastic for me so far, and is much more like traditional eye shadows I’ve enjoyed using in the past.
3. Vapour Organics Beauty Bronzer. I used to love using a powdered bronzer as a subtle blush, so this bronzing stick is a great alternative! Vapour Beauty’s Solar Translucent Bronzer is made with 70% organic ingredients and 30% natural pigments and vitamins. It applies easily, using my fingers to blend, and leaves no unnatural streaks or fake orange-y color.
4. Tarte Amazonian Clay Liner. Eye liner has been the most challenging product for me to replace. I love using a small brush to apply my eye liner, for the most accurate results, and this particular brand works like a charm! Unlike other eye liners I’ve tried (even the traditional ones), this eyeliner doesn’t smudge and stays put all day long. As an added bonus, this eye liner pot comes with it’s own eye liner brush, which makes it an even better value. Eye liner brushes can be expensive on their own!
5. Korres Volcanic Minerals Mascara. To be honest, mascara has been the lowest item on my priority list, since it has such little contact with my skin. This Korres mascara is the first more natural mascara I’ve tried, and it seems to work just as well as the “volumizing” drugstore brands I used to use regularly.
That’s it! My makeup routine tends to take about 5 minutes or less, so these products definitely make my life quick and easy.
Reader Feedback: Any healthier makeup products or brands that you love? Please do share!