1. I turned in the full manuscript for my book last week, which means things should be getting back to normal over here.
It felt like writing the biggest term paper of my life, but I can’t wait to share it with you all!
(Of course, that’s exactly what I’m going to have to do… wait! The publishing process takes a while.)
2. To celebrate being done, I made cookies on my brand-new stoneware baking sheet.
I have been dragging my feet when it comes to replacing my old aluminum baking sheets, so I am thankful for this new stoneware baking sheet. It was actually a Christmas gift, but I’m just now getting around to trying it this week. So far, I’ve used it to make Almond Flour Cookies and a Cauliflower Pizza Crust— both with great results!
The only thing to keep in mind when baking with stoneware is that the results are better if you let the pan heat up in the oven first, so that the surface is already hot when you place the food in the oven. (Otherwise the cool surface takes a little longer to cook the bottom of your baked goods.)
3. We replaced our plastic storage containers with glass ones years ago, but the downside is that sometimes accidents happen.
I’d say at least once every 6 months I have one break on me. It’s annoying when it happens, but it won’t stop me from continuing to use glass. (And luckily, many of them are re-purposed nut butter jars… so they were basically free, anyway!)
4. When I run out of my storage containers, I get creative with other non-plastic storage ideas.
The other day I used one of my salad plates to act as a “lid” over my bowl of leftovers, and held it in place with a couple of rubber bands. No need for plastic wrap! (Which is especially nice since some plastic packages are unavoidable at the supermarket… as you can also see in my fridge.)
5. This tip has changed my life when it comes to blending hot liquids.
Remove the cap from the lid of your blender (and don’t use the tamper if you have a Vitamix), and cover the hole at the top with a dishtowel to avoid a mess. The vent allows steam to escape without blowing the lid off your blender! This makes blending hot soups SO MUCH EASIER.
Perhaps this is something I should have known already, but I’m glad I finally learned about it now!
Reader Feedback: Have you tried anything new this week?