Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
A comforting and creamy soup that is surprisingly dairy-free!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (about 2 cloves), plus more to taste
- 2 cups (200g) chopped leeks (white parts only, from 2 or 3 leeks)
- Natural salt
- 1 head cauliflower , chopped
- 7 cups (1.65l) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (35g) raw unsalted cashews or 1/4 cup (35g) blanched slivered raw almonds, soaked
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives or a grating of nutmeg (optional; choose one, not both), to garnish
In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and saute the garlic, leeks, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Add the cauliflower and saute for another minute.
Add the vegetable broth, increase the heat to high, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely tender. Stir the mix periodically and mash the cauliflower with a wooden spoon.
Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly; stir in the nuts. Pour the soup into your blender in batches and puree on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. (Remember to remove the plastic cap in the blender top and cover the opening with a kitchen towel so steam can escape while you blend.)
Return the soup to the saucepan and warm it over low heat. Stir in salt to taste. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with either chopped chives or grated nutmeg.
Calories: 269kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 1497mg | Potassium: 2027mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 1800IU | Vitamin C: 423.2mg | Calcium: 210mg | Iron: 3.6mg