Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream

This ice cream is unbelievably easy to make.

It’s a good thing, too, since it doesn’t seem to last long in our freezer.

Using only a handful of ingredients, including coconut milk as the base, this chocolate ice cream is a great alternative for those of you looking for a cold and creamy treat, but would rather avoid the traditional dairy version. The result is just as decadent-tasting as the real thing, but lighter on your digestion.

You don’t even need an ice cream maker to prepare it!

Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream
makes 4 servings

Inspired by this recipe

1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk (<– this brand is BPA-free)
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup, for vegans)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Note: Alternatively, you could use an ice-cream maker at this point, which will freeze your ice cream in about 20 minutes. Simply follow the manufacturer’s directions.

Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Cook time:
Serves: 4

Using only a handful of ingredients, including coconut milk as the base, this chocolate ice cream is a great alternative for those of you looking for a cold and creamy treat, but would rather avoid traditional dairy versions. The result is just as decadent-tasting as the real thing, but lighter on your digestion. You don't even need an ice cream maker to prepare it!
  • 1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk
  • ¼ cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup honey (or maple syrup, for vegans)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. (Originally, I tried whisking them together in a bowl, but the blender was much more effective!)
  2. Adjust the flavor to your taste, then transfer to a freezer-safe container. Place in the freezer for 4-6 hours, or until firm.
  3. If your ice cream gets too firm in the freezer, allow it to thaw at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Notes
Alternatively, you could use an ice-cream maker, which will freeze your ice cream in about 20 minutes. Simply follow the manufacturer's directions.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite ice cream flavor? Have you tried coconut milk ice cream before?

139 thoughts on “Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream

1. Pingback: Dairy Free Ice Cream

2. Shana

I tried this recipe two weeks ago and OMG was it amazing!!! It was delicious, easy to make, and a lot cheaper than the $5.00 coconut ice cream I normally buy. Thanks so much for this recipe!!!

3. Courtney

I only had lowfat canned coconut milk. I first whipped some heavy cream in my blender (un-veganizing the recipe), and that seemed to give it a good consistency. I also blended in an entire avocado and about a tablespoon of cinnamon. Talk about delicious.

4. Anne

I am not sure if this posted, I may not have done it correctly, so here it is again. One person posted that they used liquid stevia, about 20 drops instead of honey or maple syrup. I am new to using liquid stevia, and it’s a very strong chemical taste, even though I use very little. Does it taste that way in this recipe, or does it taste like a nice sweet?

5. Catherine

Hi,

I am on a dairy free and gluten free diet. Yesterday, as I was looking up dairy free ice cream recipes, I stumbled upon your recipe here, and oh am I glad I did!

I made this recipe last night. I used TJ’s Reduced Fat Coconut Milk (because I didnt have a can of the full-fat version), cocoa powder, raw unfiltered local honey (which is.my new favorite craving-fixer), and vanilla extract, as your recipe called for.

It was SO delicious!! My mom, boyfriend, and I each had a serving after waiting about 5 hours for it to freeze up. The ice cream wa sa bit icy on the top, which I attributed to my using the lower-fat coconut milk, but the flavor was ALL there.

Next time I will be sure to use the full-fat coconut milk, and I am sure it will come out to be more of an ice “cream”.

Thank you for a wonderful recipe!! I give it 5 out of 5 stars!

6. Pingback: 69 Paleo Chocolate Treats

7. Pingback: gluten free chocolate recipes

8. Sandi

I didn’t really expect this to look like the photo, but it does! So fantastic. I had to substitute stevia for honey, but it was still good.

Only bad thing, my kids like it. So now I have to share!

Thank you, thank you, thank you…SO good!

9. Pingback: 4 Nutritious Hacks to Blend Your Own Ice Cream This Summer

10. Michael

What is the recipe to make a gallon of this stuff? I have one of those old hand cranked ice cream freezers that make a gallon at a time.

11. Rachael K

I made this on the 4th of July for my mom and my daughter, who are lactose intolerant, while the rest of the family had homemade strawberry ice cream made with dairy ingredients. I used full fat cream of coconut and followed the recipe exactly. After blending everything together I tasted it. And then tasted it again. And again. And, well, you get the picture. Most of the mixture made it to the ice cream maker and it was the best ice cream I’ve ever had! I’ll be making this again and again!

12. Emily

My ice-cream turned crunchy not creamy. Any ideas on how to make sure its creamy like regular ice-cream and not crunchy like tiny ice chips?

Did you use full-fat coconut milk? The more fat in the milk, the creamier it will be! Also, if you let the ice cream sit on the counter for 10 minutes before serving, it should be more scoopable.

1. Maddie

Hi Megan , I have just been put on a gluten dairy and sugar free diet for medical reasons and happened to stumble upon your chocolate ice cream recipe while surfing the net . I am really excited to try it. Which is the best brand of coconut milk to use for this recipe?

13. Janice Marie Foote

I was using heavy whipping cream + dutched equal exchange cocoa powder 100 + maple syrup ’cause all the full fat canned coconut milks had guar gum in them. But today I found Organic Natural Value Full Fat Canned Coconut Milk BPA Free that’s only coconut milk with no guar gum or any other additive preservative etc. in it. So now I can’t wait to try this tomorrow. Also I’m going to do a blackberry version too 😀 Here’s link to the coconut milk I’m referring too ->

1. Janice Marie Foote

Probably didn’t need the whole small tub of blackberries, but it’s good anyhoos. Next time I’ll use less blackberries 😉 And this is an awesome coconut ice cream base recipe to build on 😀 Thanks 🙂

2. jody

Just an FYI, although the canned coconut milk link you posted looks ideal, not all of us live in the U.S. I’m Canadian and this company doesn’t sell that coconut milk here in Canada. It is available on amazon.ca for Canadians but the price is over $200 for 12 cans!!

14. Emma

Hi
    My partner and I are on the paleo diet and this recipe is just perfect!! It’s an awesome way to keep down the cravings for the sugary stuff. Thank you!

15. Gayle

I have been making coconut milk ice cream for a few years. I use agave but must try honey. It is always a versatile base for any flavour. A few of my favourites are fresh raspberries with Limoncello and puréed strawberries with stewed rhubarb swirled in. I make a bourbon manhattan ice cream which is amazing!

16. Debbie

This is amazing! It’s a million times better than the expensive store bought coconut ice cream and ridiculously easy! It really tastes like rich creamy regular ice cream.I haven’t had ice cream in over a year.I’m so happy now.

17. Courtney Ramirez

I tried this last night for the first time. It is absolutely amazing! I had to wait until this morning to taste it and I was shocked at how great it turned out. It’s soft just like ice cream. I was worried that when I tried to scoop it would be hard as a rock but not this ice cream, it scoops out just like the kind you buy from the store. Thank you so much for this healthy alternative!

18. Dee

The taste was AbFab, like a fudgecicle. My first time making ice cream. It did get rock hard. Left it out for 30 minutes, but had to nuke it for 30 seconds at 30%. Makes me wonder what commercial ice cream making companies put in theirs that keeps it soft? Scary thought. I’ll take homemade, thank you very much! My husband told me to pour mix into the ice pop molds I have. Brilliant!

19. Cristina

Hi from Brazil!
    I am trying to do this receipe, but I dont’t know exactly how much of coconut milk I should add.
    Anyone could give me a hand and convert it to the exact amount in liters, please!?

20. Anne

Hi I am searching for a chocolate ice milk recipe, as it will be low fat. Your recipe sounds great, as well as easy. But it will be more “points” then premium ice cream on my Weight Watchers plan. Do you have any suggestions to make this into an “ice milk”?
    Thanks.