Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

It isn’t Halloween in our house without peanut butter cups.

Last year, I made raw almond butter cups, but those don’t always cut it for a true peanut butter lover. (Like my husband!)

I’ve also learned a few things since making my own almond butter cups over the last couple of years. Originally, I just dropped a dollop of natural almond butter in the middle, assuming it would freeze into a firm, solid mass, like the middles of the store-bought candies. But, that’s not the case! Even after freezing overnight, the nut butter centers are usually gooey… which tastes fine, but it’s not exactly the texture I’m going for. Luckily, I’m more than willing to experiment with (and taste-test!) chocolate candies, until I get it right.

The resulting peanut butter cups are not only lower in sugar and free of highly-processed ingredients, they also taste better than the originals, if I do say so myself!

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
makes 6-8 pieces

2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
2 teaspoons coconut oil*
pinch of fine sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (for a raw chocolate shell, use this recipe instead)

*If you don’t care for the mellow coconut flavor, substitute grass-fed butter instead. It has the same type of healthy fat that will help solidify the peanut butter middles!

Using the spoon, push the melted chocolate up the sides of the paper cups a bit, to create the “cups” that will hold the peanut butter filling. Place the chocolate-filled shells in the freezer to set, about 10 minutes.

*Alternatively, you can make your own raw chocolate for a truly unprocessed treat! I recommend using this recipe for the chocolate, and following the same directions listed here for creating the chocolate shell. Please note, this raw chocolate will melt quickly at room temperature, so it’s not ideal for serving at parties.

Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
Serves: 6-8

These homemade peanut butter cups are not only lower in sugar and free of highly-processed ingredients, they also taste better than the original store-bought versions!
  • 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
  • 2 teaspoons coconut oil*
  • pinch of salt
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips (for a raw chocolate shell, use this recipe instead)
  1. To get started, melt the dark chocolate chips. I prefer to use my oven to do this, placing the chocolate chips in an oven safe bowl, and heating them for 5 minutes in the oven at 400F. You can also use a double-boiler or microwave, if you prefer. Stir the melted chocolate chips until smooth, then use a spoon to drop a small amount of melted chocolate into the bottom of 6 mini paper cups. (I recommend double-layering the paper cups, for sturdiness.)
  2. Using the spoon, push the melted chocolate up the sides of the paper cups a bit, to create the "cups" that will hold the peanut butter filling. Place the chocolate-filled shells in the freezer to set, about 10 minutes.
  3. *Alternatively, you can make your own raw chocolate for a truly unprocessed treat! I recommend using this recipe for the chocolate, and following the same directions listed here for creating the chocolate shell. Please note, this raw chocolate will melt quickly at room temperature, so it's not ideal for serving at parties.
  4. In the meantime, mix up the peanut butter filling. Combine the peanut butter, coconut oil and salt, and stir until smooth and creamy. Remove the paper cups from the freezer, and place a dollop of the peanut butter filling in the middle of each chocolate shell (about a teaspoon per center). Be sure to leave a little room around the edges, for the chocolate filling to cover the sides!
  5. Cover each cup with a final layer of melted chocolate, and return to the freezer to set for at least 2 hours before serving.
  6. Remove the paper cups, and enjoy these chocolate candies whenever you like! For best texture, I recommend storing in the fridge or freezer until ready to serve.
Notes
*If you don't care for the mellow coconut flavor, substitute grass-fed butter instead. It has the same type of healthy fat that will help solidify the peanut butter middles!

Note: As always, feel free to use any other nut butter instead of peanut butter, if you prefer. For those with nut allergies, sunflower seed butter is a great nut-free alternative!

Reader Feedback: Have you ever tried making your own peanut butter cups? Do you plan on making any Halloween candy this year?

Comments

1. says

These used to be my FAVORITE as a kid! I always wanted the reese cups in my halloween bag hah.
    Now a days, I wouldn’t touch those processed things. I tried my own version, still tweaking it because it didn’t come out the way I wanted exactly.
    These looks awesome though!

2. A says

These look great! I have been wanting to make some peanut butter cups lately. I found a few recipes. Some say the true Reese’s taste is made by adding nutritional yeast. Have you heard of this? Thanks!

3. Natalie says

I made these last night and they are absolutely fantastic swingin on elastic-brilliant storing in freezer so i don’t have to be tempted to eat them all in one go-i’m making a batch for my friend today-thankyou :-)

4. Desiree says

Hi Megan,

First of all, your blog is great. I love all the recipes, especially the ones that use chocolate. I was wondering, since you use dark chocolate, if there was a way to make the chocolate component of this recipe taste more like a milk chocolate? Is that even possible?

Thanks!!

• says

You could make it taste like more like milk chocolate by adding butter or coconut oil to the melted dark chocolate chips, plus a little honey for extra sweetness. These additions will make the chocolate shell a little more temperature-sensitive, though! Be sure to serve chilled for best texture. :)

5. Craig says

Made these the other day for Halloween treats, and WOW! They really did taste better than the store bought ones. Thanks for a easy and healthier version of almost everyone’s favorite candy.

6. Karen says

These look delicious! however, I think your “healthier peanut butter eggs” were more like reeces pieces. I would just make those again but put them in muffin cups like these instead. they were just like the real things.

7. says

The peanut butter cups are GREAT! I used a Coco Polo 70% cocoa bar and it worked well. My daughter has been begging me to buy Reese’s cups lately and I REFUSE so this made her VERY happy! Megan, your recipes taste and look great. Thanks for making it so easy and enjoyable.

8. Noys says

Hi, Megan!

I am a Spanish girl very interested in detox diet. I’ve been following weight watchers for a year, but I’m tired of being counting calories, I stressed out too (as you said in an article)

I just discovered your blog and am excited … I want to eat this way forever!

My question is whether this candy would be neutral and if I can eat after every meal or I wait. If so, how long?

Thank you very much in advance and congratulations for your baby!

Kisses.

9. Courtney Grace says

Ugh, these are so ridiculously good. Who wants the store bought kind when you can have these?!? Made these twice now. Thank you!

10. Signe says

These were amazing. My kids know that I will not buy them the candy with all the artificial ingredients. They were so happy to have these; they even said they taste better than the store bought ones.

11. Ashlee says

I just made these, I think the chocolate needs butter melted with it. Just straight melted chocolate doesn’t spread on top of the peanut butter. I ended up just swirling it all together inside the cup. Hope it turns out ok!

12. Marlene says

Delicious! Thank you so much for this recipe! I made these with your raw chocolate recipe and hubby and I loved them. I can’t wait to make these again!

13. Justyna says

Hi Megan, I was inspired by your deliciously looking recipes and have decided to make the Peanut Butter Cups for a start. Me and my boyfriend just love them! They are a gorgeous treat without much guilt! Thanks for all the recipes, will be trying them out soon.

14. Colette says

Your recipe was the first time I have ever tried making peanut butter cups, and it was a fabulous success! These are so much better than the store bought kind! And they were a lot easier to make than I thought. We used Ghiradelli dark baking chips. We also tried some with almond butter centers and loved those as well. Thank you again for all these terrific recipes!

15. Colette says

I also wanted to add that melting the chocolate in an oven-safe bowl is a great idea and worked well! The chips weren’t completely melted when I took the bowl out but one or two stirs finished the melting process. For the bottom layer of chocolate, we rolled around the chocolate in the paper cup the get the chocolate to spread up the sides in a nice even line, avoiding the spindly stick chocolate breaking off. Thank you again for this delicious way to enjoy one of my favorite candies!

Trackbacks