Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip (Dairy-Free)

I had no idea what to expect, when I decided to try substituting creamy avocado for the hefty amount of cheese that’s usually found in traditional spinach and artichoke dip.

SONY DSC

The result is beyond delicious, while also being incredibly easy on your digestive system!

Traditional versions can be a little too bland for my taste, so the flavor of this particular dip is kicked-up a notch, with the addition of fresh basil and lemon juice. Combined with artichoke hearts, spinach and roasted red pepper, this veggie-based dip is bursting with flavor, and delicious enough to eat with a spoon!

Of course, I’d recommend serving it with baked tortilla chips and sliced veggies, as a more traditional approach.

Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip (Dairy-free)
makes 2 cups

Inspired by this recipe

10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
14 oz. can artichokes hearts, rinsed and drained
1 roasted red bell pepper, peeled and chopped
1/2 ripe avocado
1 garlic clove, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon honey (optional)

Drain the artichokes and spinach well, then add them to the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an S-shaped blade. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and use the “pulse” button to combine into a chunky dip.

processThe texture of this dip is completely up to your personal preference. You can leave it chunky, for a slightly different taste in each bite, or process longer for a more uniform-looking dip! I added a bit of honey to mine, and processed again, for a slightly more balanced flavor and smoother texture.

SONY DSC

Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip (Dairy-Free)
Serves: 2 cups

A creamy, flavorful dip that's perfect for serving at a party, or as a nutrient-rich snack!
  • 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 14 oz. can artichokes hearts, rinsed and drained
  • 1 roasted red bell pepper, peeled and chopped
  • ½ ripe avocado
  • 1 garlic clove, or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
  1. Drain the artichokes and spinach well, then add them to the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an S-shaped blade. Add in the rest of the ingredients, and use the "pulse" button to combine into a chunky dip.
  2. The texture of this dip is completely up to your personal preference. You can leave it chunky, for a slightly different taste in each bite, or process longer for a more uniform-looking dip! I added a bit of honey to mine, and processed again, for a slightly more balanced flavor and smoother texture.
  3. For best flavor, allow to chill for at least 4 hours before serving, and store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of spinach & artichoke dip?

37 thoughts on “Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip (Dairy-Free)

1. Anette

It looks really delicious but can you leave out the avocado? or substitute with a little pumpkin puree?
    Anette

2. Chris

This looks incredible!!! Do you have a recommendation for replacing the artichokes? Although I love them, I am allergic to them.

Also, how much liquid stevia can I use in place of the honey (allergic to that, too!).

Thanks!!!

One more, how would you transform this into a “cream of spinach” side dish?

3. Nannette

We’re on Specific Carbohydrate Diet, so don’t use nutritional yeast. I notice this ingredient is in many packaged foods where I wouldn’t expect it. Could you tell me what nutritional yeast adds to this recipe, so I know what I’m taking away if I don’t use it. Thanks so much.

4. Dora

I tried this, but I added stevia instead of honey, which worked fine. I think it’s better after sitting in the fridge for a while so that the flavors can meld. I did, however, think that you added WAY too much lemon juice. I halved the amount of lemon juice, and I still think even that was too much. Next time I’m going to use 2 teaspoons. I just wish I could get that almost-sticky texture that comes from the addition of the different cheeses.

5. Rachel

I would just like to say I LOVE your site. I just found you yesterday and this is an amazing site! Thank you 🙂

6. Suman

i LOVE this! would love to make it for the SuperBowl party we are having, but my mom is allergic to avocados. is there something you can think of that would be a good replacement for the avos? thanks!

7. Aimee

I have been eyeing this recipe since you posted it… I have always been a fan of the traditional dip but now since I don’t eat cheese it has been off limits. What a great idea to substitute the avocados. I finally got around to making it today and it was really good!

8. san

i made this but i couldnt remember all the ingredients (power went out briefly) it turned out even good-used whole avacodo,half lime, 2 cloves garlic. husband loved it despite there was no cheese. will make again!! thanks

9. raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen

I made this for the super bowl party I attended last night! Everyone loved it!…Including the dogs. About half-way through the game, the dogs got into the food, and licked the bowl clean. Whoops!

Thanks for a great recipe, I’ll definitely be making it again…and keeping it up on a higher table. ; )

10. Shelley

Can you add in Water Chesnuts, and still be properly combined? this is amazing as is every recipe I have made from your site

11. Pingback: Tailgating Tips | Serenity Through Nutrition

12. Rosalind

I absolutely LOVE this dip…and it hasn’t even chilled yet! As a new vegan, I now miss my cheesy dips that are ridiculously unhealthy! This makes my heart happy in more ways than one. Looking forward to taking it to a dinner party later tonight with herbivores and carnivores alike.

13. Cassie

Just made this and both my partner and I LOVE it!!! Such a healthy treat! Enjoying with a few gluten free crackers and carrot sticks.

14. Pingback: Healthy Superbowl Recipe Round-Up (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free Options)

15. Pingback: Pilates ProWorks Blog » FIT FRIDAY: Healthy Super Bowl Recipe Roundup

16. Laura

I have this in the fridge now. I made it about two hours ago and just stirred it. It taste better after sitting. Will still be another three hours before I serve.

17. Alesia

Made this today and really enjoyed it. I’m new to the site and have enjoyed perusing the recipes. That I actually decided to try some is a testament to how yummy they sound. I think I over processed mine, but it’s still yummy. I like mixing it with the “queso” dip. .

18. Pingback: Fall eats! (or what I think tastes like Thanksgiving) | Base Mileage

19. Pingback: Skinny Goat Cheese, Spinach and Kale Dip

20. Pingback: Creamy Spinach Dip Recipe - A Healthy Alternative - studioVIBE

21. coco

I made this for a Super Bowl party. Even all the non-vegan, non-gluten-free guests (all of them) enjoyed this dip. It has most the flavors of the traditional spinach dip, without the unhealthy elements. Very fresh flavor! I will use a whole avocado next time to increase creaminess.

22. Pingback: Healthy 4th of July Recipes - Lonestar FitnessLonestar Fitness

23. Pingback: Kitchology’s Top 3: Dairy-Free Dips | Kitchology, Inc

24. Rebecca

It’s sad living in a world where most dairy-free recipes use avocado as a substitute. As someone who is allergic to avocados and dairy-free it’s hard to find a good recipe.

25. Jackie

I made this today and I thought it was delicious! I ended up adding the whole avocado, using only 1 tbsp of lemon juice, adding a little bit more salt and some rosemary, and skipped the nutritional yeast (mine had been in the basement for an undetermined number of years, haha). I thought it had very clean flavors, and I especially loved the basil. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!

26. nicole

My family and I are vegetarians… I think this recipe might just be the one that convinced me that food can be made deliciously without dairy. We are definitely moving in the vegan direction. Thanks so much! PS I added miso and it was really a nice addition.