Glazed Chocolate Donuts (Grain-free, Nut-free)

With Easter just around the corner, I’m looking forward to making something special for our family brunch.

SONY DSC

These rich, double chocolate donuts may be the winner.

I’ve been experimenting with coconut flour again, which I love for it’s light and absorbent texture, as well as the fact that it’s safe for those with tree nut allergies. It’s also pretty economical, in terms of grain-free flours–> I’ve been using the same bag of coconut flour for nearly a year, because so little of it is required in baking recipes! For this entire pan of donuts, you only need a 1/4 cup of coconut flour. How cool is that?

Because of coconut flour’s unique, absorbent quality, please don’t try to substitute any other type of flour in this particular recipe. You’ll just be wasting your ingredients! I personally don’t feel that coconut flour lends too much of a “coconut flavor” to recipes, but if you’d prefer not to use it, I’d recommend trying one of my almond flour recipes instead. Baked donuts are essentially muffins baked into donut-like shapes, so you can use almost any muffin recipe you like to create a batch of crowd-pleasing donuts!

Similarly, you can use this chocolate batter to create muffins, rather than donuts, if you’d prefer. Either way, they’re sure to be a hit!

Glazed Chocolate Donuts (Grain-free, Nut-free)
makes 6 standard donuts

Adapted from Elana’s Pantry

For the Chocolate Donuts:

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

For the Chocolate Glaze:

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons coconut oil

Transfer the batter to a plastic storage bag, and snip off one corner of the bag with scissors, to create a “piping bag.” Pipe the batter evenly into the six donut wells.

SONY DSC

SONY DSC

Allow the donuts to cool for 15 minutes, then gently remove from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack. (I’ve found that it’s easiest to remove the donuts using a twisting motion. If you grease the pan well enough, they should slide right out!)

SONY DSC

To glaze the donuts, prepare the chocolate glaze by melting together the coconut oil and dark chocolate chips. The mixture will be in liquid-form when warm, but will solidify as it cools. I find it easiest to glaze the donuts by dunking them into the melted chocolate mixture while it’s still warm.

*Feel free to use any other glaze or frosting that you prefer. For a couple donuts, we spread coconut manna on top, plus sprinkled coconut, for a chocolate-coconut flavor. The combinations are endless!SONY DSC

You may wish to dunk the donuts into the glaze more than once, for a thicker coating. Serve warm, or allow to cool completely to avoid chocolate running over your fingers.

Due to the dry nature of coconut flour, I recommend storing these donuts in a sealed container to retain their moisture.

Glazed Chocolate Donuts (Grain-free, Nut-free)
Cook time:
Serves: 6

Rich, chocolate donuts made with coconut flour for a grain-free breakfast treat!
For the Chocolate Donuts:
  • ¼ cup coconut flour
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 eggs
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
  • ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Glaze:
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a standard donut pan generously with coconut oil. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking soda. Add in the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla and whisk again until a uniform batter is created.
  2. Transfer the batter to a plastic storage bag, and snip off one corner of the bag with scissors, to create a "piping bag." Pipe the batter evenly into the six donut wells.
  3. Bake the donuts at 350F for 18-20 minutes, until the dough has risen and is firm to the touch.
  4. Allow the donuts to cool for 15 minutes, then gently remove from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack. (I've found that it's easiest to remove the donuts using a twisting motion. If you grease the pan well enough, they should slide right out!)
  5. To glaze the donuts, prepare the chocolate glaze by melting together the coconut oil and dark chocolate chips. The mixture will be in liquid-form when warm, but will solidify as it cools.
  6. I find it easiest to glaze the donuts by dunking them into the melted chocolate mixture while it's still warm. You may wish to dunk the donuts into the glaze more than once, for a thicker coating.
  7. Serve warm, or allow to cool completely to avoid chocolate running over your fingers.
Notes

*Note: If you wish to bake muffins, instead of donuts, you will most likely need to increase the baking time. Under-baked muffins will sink after baking, so make sure the centers are firm to the touch before removing from the oven.Β

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you planning any special treats for Easter or Passover?

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

68 thoughts on “Glazed Chocolate Donuts (Grain-free, Nut-free)

1. Cate

These look incredible! I have all the ingredients in the fridge and/or pantry and I can’t wait to make them next weekend for breakfast or brunch… thanks so much for the inspiration!

2. kate

This is my first easter sugar, grain and mostly dairy free. With recipes like this it’s going to be awesome! I came on here looking for a chocolate cake and you’d just posted these. Mine are just cooling now! I’m going to try icing with a dark chocolate and coconut cream ganache. I love love love all your recipes, thanks so much!

3. Julie

Love this!! Can’t wait to try it!! Thank you for the adaptations you used here -to replace grapeseed oil and agave nectar in there ;-( Thru my research have decided that those are not good choices for my family to use!!

4. Joy

These look really good! I have all the ingredients so I may try making them later today! I’ll have to make muffins though since I don’t have a donut pan yet.

5. Tricia

These look so good. You say not to substitute, but for those who absolutely do not like coconut in any way (oil or flour), what can we do? Thanks! ~tricia

Butter can always be used as a substitute for coconut oil. In regards to the coconut flour, as I mentioned in the post above, you’ll need to find a different muffin recipe to use as your guide. I have many posted on my site that call for almond flour or peanut butter, if you’re looking to stay grain-free.

6. Zae

Just made these,super yummy! I don’t bake alot with coconut flour just because I find it dry, these turned out very well. I baked them as muffins for 20 minutes then topped them off with chocolate glaze. Totally hit the spot. Thanks for the easy recipe.

7. Nancy M.

These donuts were so easy to make! Thanks again for another delicious recipe. My whole house smells like chocolate cake now!

8. Amy

No matter what I put at the bottom of my donut pan (butter, coconut oil, olive oil), the donut always stick and come out crumbly. Any suggestions?

9. Sharon

I’d like to make these for Easter, but was curious to know approx how long they will stay fresh compared to a standard flour mix. I’m new to grain free baking.
    Thank you!

10. Pingback: Gluten-Free Baked Chocolate Donuts – Gazing In

11. Pingback: Grain, Dairy, Sugar Free Chocolate Mini Muffins | A 5'3 Perspective

12. Angelika

I made these today, in a standard 12-cup stoneware muffin pan. I added a scant quarter teaspoon of cream of tartar to give a little more lift. They’re delicious! Instead of the icing, I just sprinkled a few chips on top of each muffin in the pan when I set it on the cooling rack. They melted in mere moments, and I spread them over the tops with the back of a spoon, popped the muffins out of the pan, and left them to cool. My little boy really appreciated them. Thanks for a fantastic recipe!

13. Tegan

Whoa whoa.

So I made these tonight… only difference was that I used honey instead of maple syrup and melted butter instead of coconut oil (only because I didn’t have the real things).

They’re so good! Not eggy or mushy or grainy at all like coconut flour often gets. Is that thanks to the cocoa powder or what? They could be a little moister (although I think that’s a property of most baked donuts in general since they’re missing that oily exterior), but I would just try adding some more butter or oil.

This is the first coconut flour recipe I can totally get behind. Thanks!!

14. Penny

We really enjoyed these! I baked them as muffins (ended up making 5 because that was the number of paper cups that I had left), subbing coconut pulp left over from making coconut milk (pulsed into flour) for the coconut flour, applesauce for half of the coconut oil and date syrup for the sweetener. I love that I can get my chocolate fix, and I can also feed them to my 3 year old without feeling the least bit guilty!
    I could still taste the eggs ever so subtly. Maybe coconut flour baking will be an acquired taste?

15. Pingback: Whoo! Hoo! It’s National Doughnut Day | Shiloh Farms Blog

16. Maggie

My birthday’s coming up and it’s always sad that I can’t have a ‘normal’ cake that actually tastes good. But this year will be different. I tested this recipe as cupcakes last night and they are amazing! I’m so excited to have my cake and eat it too!

17. Kristal

Delicious on the first try! My son loves them better than the store-bought gluten-free donuts he’d come to love. A definite winner.

18. April McGowan

We really need a vegan version for my allergic family. Got any tips our suggestions? Have you used flax gel or applesauce successfully instead of eggs? (She said hopefully). Thanks!

19. Pingback: Grain, Dairy, Sugar Free Chocolate Mini Muffins | My Blog / Website

20. Pingback: Friday Finds: Easter Edition | Mocha And Moccasins

21. Pingback: Grain, Dairy, Sugar Free Chocolate Mini Muffins

22. Andrea

I have been grain free and a lot of other things free for about 18 months for health reasons originally and now also by choice. I saw this donut recipe and printed it up for future use. Well today was that future use. I used to eat very few donuts but every now and again I liked to have one. Lately I have been craving one so I pulled out the recipe and made a batch. They are so awesome. I added a bit of sweetened coconut to the top of the glaze to mimic the donut I always loved. This is certainly a recipe I want to make again and of course for friends. Well done my dear well done!! So good and so simple too. Oh and by the way my husband loved them too 5 stars. Thank you so much. I look forwards to trying that brownie recipe you are talking about but have not yet revealed!

23. Lee

I don’t have a donut pan but wondered if I could actually deep fry these using lard or coconut oil? Or do you think they’d fall apart?

24. Valentina

These donuts (well, I made muffins!) are delicious! It was quite a challenge to convert cups into grams (I’m from Italy), I had to improvise a bit but the final result is very good! No glaze for me, I’m cutting some calories. Thank you for sharing πŸ™‚

25. Pam

My daughter had to go on a grain free diet. These donuts were absolutely wonderful. I am making them into cupcakes for her birthday next week. Thank you so much! You just made a little girl and her mom so happy!

26. Judy

This sounds really great πŸ™‚
    Which type of dark chocolate chips do you use?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Have a wonderful day.

I like the dark chocolate chunks by 365 Brand (available at Whole Foods) and Enjoy Life also makes an allergy-friendly 69% dark chocolate chip.

27. VanillaMacaroon

I made these in cupcake form as a dessert for Easter dinner. They were amazing! Everybody loved them! Thanks Megan!

28. Kayla

The taste of these are spot on! Thanks, Megan, for an excellent recipe. Mine did turn out a little dry, though. Any suggestions?

29. Abbi*tarian

I’ve made these twice, and I & my friends & family love them! Thank you!! Thank you also for the recommendation of the wilton non-stick pan; I loved being able to bake & not fry yummy donuts!

30. Rachelle

Wow! Yummy! Made these into muffins to enjoy with my breakfast this morning. And not only are they so delishious, they didn’t spike my blood sugar! ( I am pregnant at the moment and my midwife suggested that I really cut back on foods that spike my blood sugar) so Yay! Thank you detoxinista! I’ve been loving all your recipes! πŸ™‚

31. Pingback: Paleo Chocolate Doughnuts | Sugar Cookies & Lip Gloss

32. Pingback: Help WANTED! (Emphasis On Wanted) | wisdomforherheart

33. Pingback: Fall and Donuts go Togather | Chocolate

34. Anne

I have used so many of your recipes and we love them! Do you think the gelatin egg would work well in these? Our son can’t have eggs and wants donuts for his birthday so trying to find a recipe that’ll work for him!!

Thanks so much for all your hard work!!

35. Melissa

Hey quick question, do you think I could make these with almond meal? I can’t have things that are ground down to a flour state.

36. Penny

I commented on these before, but I wanted to post an update! My whole house absolutely loves these as muffins (including a 4 year old and a 2 year old). I made them for my sister after she had her baby, and even her boyfriend loved them even though he eats a mainstream diet. I always quadruple the recipe and make them in the blender (blend wet together first at low power, then add the dry, blend again, scrape the sides once and blend one more time). I use a 1/4 cup scoop and put them in parchment paper muffin cups (the parchment paper are the only ones that work, they stick like crazy in regular cups). They are always done by 15 minutes.

I can no longer taste the egg, so I think that it may have been because of the coconut flour sub I used the first time. They have been on the go snacks and birthday cupcakes many times.

Thank you!!

37. Mary

These are absolutely delicious. I wouldn’t even be able to tell, if I didn’t know, that these are made with coconut flour. I made a double batch so I made six donuts and a 9 inch cake.. Amazing

38. Christy

Hi, Megan. Because your link led to a Wilton donut pan, I’m curious how you feel about the nonstick coating on those pans. I’ve read much that says to stay away from nonstick and silicone coatings(not, necessarily, silicone bakeware, where a lack of research seems to indicate it’s OK or an inert substance).

I just wondered if you found something different. I would love to try this recipe but haven’t found a suitable donut baking pan. Not a criticism, I’m really interested to know! πŸ™‚ Thanks.

I try to link to the products I use myself, because I don’t want to recommend something I haven’t tried. That’s the donut pan I’ve had for years, but I’m not crazy about the non-stick coating and would probably prefer a silicone pan, instead. We don’t make donuts often in our home (maybe 1-2 times a year) so it hasn’t been a priority to replace my pan yet, but I think I will try out the silicone version soon, since I’ve had great success using silicone baking cups for baking muffins!

1. Christy

Thanks for the feedback. I’m considering the silicone version, too. Good to know the baking cups work well for you.

39. [email protected]

Thank you SO much for posting!
    I can not have dairy or nuts!
    Will try in a silicone pan and let you know.
    Will try for Easter.

40. maggi

You can substitute eggs in baking with ground flax seen….1 TBSP of flax seed to three TBSP of water…..makes one egg….I use it all the time…baked goods come out great….no egg taste and more roughage….

41. asia

Made this yesterday, they were delicious. My kids really loved it and want some more. Will probably be making again tomorrow. Thank you so much for the recipe.

42. Teva

My daughter is allergic to eggs, and since her food allergies are so new to us, I am still struggling with baking. She is also allergic to flaxseed, so would chia or gelatin work to replace the eggs?

43. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Donuts | Gluten Free Babe

44. Carly

These turned out amazing for me!!! The one thing is that for some reason my batter was a bit runny maybe its because I used a different coconut flour but I just added more coconut flour till it was more of a batter consistency. Besides that though is recipe is fabulous, thank you!!!

45. Brittaney

These are amazing! Thank you for the wonderful recipe! I put them in individual baking cups and use half butter half coconut oil. They were super moist. My 6 y.o. daughter ate 4 in a row and wanted more!!!

46. Sarah

I made these today and they’re DELICIOUS!! It was my first time using coconut flour, but it went great. They almost taste like a mound bar. I used honey instead of maple syrup and they still turned out wonderful! I’ll def be making these again. (:

47. Laura Bruederle

Very easy to make , and are yummy, for a donut loving nanny, who now bakes for the carb free family. They made the house smell sooo good and it was a treat that made everyone happy! the glaze is a must and of course sprinkles helped to convert the picky 3 year old! I will be following your blog for more recipes to make for this family.

48. Sylvia

Finger licking recipe. Just made these about an hour ago with my best friend and let me tell all of you after a long day this was what we both needed. Im surprised we managed to even save one for someone else to endulge in. Really filling and guilt free too. Thank you for this recipe.

49. Susan

These are fantastic! My son has been trying to bake the perfect donut for a few months now, and we’ve found the almond flour variety to be too heavy. These are light and fluffy, like a donut should be. Thanks for the recipe.