Homemade Nutella (Dairy-free, Refined-sugar-free)

I’ve seen recipes for Nutella floating around the internet for a while now, but I’ve always had a hard time believing that a homemade version could possibly taste even remotely like the store-bought stuff.

nutella-recipe

Boy, was I wrong.

This homemade version tastes better than the store bought stuff, and has a silky-smooth texture that makes it almost irresistible. In fact, it pretty much is irresistible in my home. I can’t help but reach for a taste every time I open my fridge door.

So, consider this your warning. Make this creamy, chocolate-y, homemade hazelnut spread at your own risk! (I have a feeling it would be just as addictive when made with any other type of nut, too.)

Homemade Nutella
Makes 8-10 ounces

1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder, or more to taste
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
6-8 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)

Preheat your oven to 300F and arrange the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast the hazelnuts for 20 minutes at 300F, until their skins begin to crack. (This helps the skins slide off easier.) Allow the nuts to cool, then rub them in a dishtowel to help remove their skins. It doesn’t matter if you get every last speck of skin off– you just want to remove as much as is easily possible.

toast-hazelnuts

Place the peeled hazelnuts in the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, then process them into a creamy nut butter, stopping to scrape down the bowl if necessary. This process should take just about 5 minutes or less, and you should hear a “sloshing” sound when the hazelnut butter has reached a nice and runny consistency. Once you’ve got a smooth hazelnut butter, add the coconut sugar, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and 1/4 cup of water and process again until well combined.

how-to-make-nutella

Taste the chocolatey butter at this point, and if you’d like it slightly sweeter, add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. If it’s already sweet enough for your taste buds, add another tablespoon of water, instead. At this point, you’ll want to continue to process the chocolate-hazelnut-butter, adding one tablespoon of water at a time until your desired consistency is reached. I used 6 tablespoons of water total (1/4 cup + 2 extra tablespoons) plus the 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to achieve my favorite glossy-looking results. If the sugar hasn’t dissolved completely for you at this point, continue to process the batch until it’s very smooth.

homemade-nutella

Homemade Nutella (Dairy-free, Refined-sugar-free)
Serves: 8-10 oz

A smooth and creamy chocolate hazelnut spread that's made with no dairy or refined sugar.
  • 1½ cups hazelnuts
  • ½ cup coconut sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, or more to taste
  • 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
  • 6-8 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
  1. Preheat your oven to 300F and arrange the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast the hazelnut for 20 minutes at 300F, until their skins begin to crack. (This helps the skins slide off easier.) Allow the nuts to cool, then rub them in a dishtowel to help remove their skins. It doesn't matter if you get every last speck of skin off-- you just want to remove as much as is easily possible.
  2. Place the peeled hazelnuts in the bowl of a large food processor fitted with an "S" blade, then process them into a creamy nut butter, stopping to scrape down the bowl if necessary. This process should take just about 5 minutes or less, and you should hear a "sloshing" sound when the hazelnut butter has reached a nice and runny consistency. Once you've got a smooth hazelnut butter, add the coconut sugar, cocoa powder, coconut oil, and ¼ cup of water and process again until well combined. Taste the chocolatey butter at this point, and if you'd like it slightly sweeter, add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. If it's already sweet enough for your taste buds, add another tablespoon of water, instead. At this point, you'll want to continue to process the chocolate-hazelnut-butter, adding one tablespoon of water at a time until your desired consistency is reached. (I used 6 tablespoons of water total-- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons extra-- plus the 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to achieve the glossy batch pictured in the photos.)
  3. Store the finished spread in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!

Notes:

• If you’d prefer to use maple syrup instead of coconut sugar, you can replace the 1/2 cup of coconut sugar with 1/4 cup of maple syrup and reduce the water to just 4 or 5 tablespoons. The results aren’t quite as delicious as the recipe written above, but they’re still tasty.
  • I haven’t tried this using other nuts or seeds yet, but I think it would be worth a shot if you’d prefer to try something other than hazelnuts. As always, please share your results in the comments!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of Nutella or other chocolate nut butters? I see them popping up in stores everywhere, so I’m glad to know they’re so easy to make at home!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

55 thoughts on “Homemade Nutella (Dairy-free, Refined-sugar-free)

1. Red Deception

I do love me some Nutella – it reminds me of backpacking through Western Europe (it was cheap and easy to pack along…and eat on a baguette!). I’m afraid if I made this I would eat it all in one sitting!

2. jenna

Hi!

I tried doing something very similar (no coco sugar just maple syrup) but I used my Vitamix instead and I couldn’t get it the that smooth texture. It was really good but a bit grainy. Have you tried it with your vitamix?

3. Laura

I typically don’t buy nutella (although it is super tasty) just because of the refined sugar issue I’m having right now (avoid avoid, right?!?) so I love your spin off version with ZERO refined sugar!!! Definitely going with your version hazelnuts and all. Love Love Love this!!!

1. hanie

Palm and coconut sugar is technically the same thing if not mistaken. Just make sure its pure palm sugar. Some have added sugar in it.

4. Sabine

I’ve seen those nutella recipes floating around the internet too and have been hesitant to experiment with nuts because they’re expensive. But your version I’ll try because I’ve enjoyed every recipe of yours that I’ve tried.

Here’s a little nut recipe for you; a gift for all that you share. Blend 1 cup of walnuts with a few softened dates, a teaspoon or so of speculaas spice mix, and a sprinkle of salt, whiz it up in the food processor leaving it chunky. I like to put it on my oatmeal.

5. sabijo

I tried doing this a while ago, and never got a watery consistency in step 3, when you’re just processing hazlenuts by themselves, before you add the coconut oil and stuff…It was a Ninja food processor. I kept at it for quite some time and never got anything smooth and spreadable. Do you have any advice on this? I put coconut oil, maple syrup, and cocoa powder in that batch…I didn’t think to try water. I’m afraid to try this recipe b/c then if it gets messed up I can’t use the stuff for anything else, though of course itis still super delish!

Is that the Ninja food processor that has the motor on the top as the lid? I find that type of food processor doesn’t work as well as traditional food processors when it comes to making nut butters. I think when the powerful motor is on the bottom of the unit, it helps create some additional heat that breaks the nuts into a silky butter much faster.

6. Pingback: Fit Finds {October 3} | SF Fit Finder

7. Meagan

How FUNNY! I literall saw this this morning and I made my own version of Nutella last night! What a coincidence. I did my VERY different than yours. But yours looks great too πŸ™‚

8. Pingback: Homemade nutella | Life on the Homefront

9. Britni

Out of curiosity, why do we want the skins off? Could i do this with soaked dehydrated hazelnuts with the skins on? Thanks!

Sorry, my email was typo’d in the comment above. πŸ™‚

10. Natalie

Hi Megan,I love your recipe, you have no idea how hard I try every day in the store to keep the hands of my two-year-old off the nutella. I read some recipes on the internet, but this one I’ll print it πŸ™‚ I even want to try this to use as some cake cream for some healthy cakes like these:
    What do you think, will it be suitable to make it like a healthy cream for some chocolate cake?

11. Teresa

This was delicious. My family and I finished off an entire batch in just a couple of days (super tasty with bananas)! Thank you, Megan!!

12. Caroline

Tried this at home and wow, does it ever taste/smell great! Mine didn’t quite mix smoothly though, after the addition of oil, water, etc. The liquid separated out and left a chunky mass. I tried further blending, but no luck. Could it be an issue of temperature differences? Warm nuts, melted coconut oil, cold water?

13. Sylvie

Dear Megan,

I have just made this and wow, this taste absolutely DELICIOUS even if I put some coconut powder instead of cocoa !!!!! But managed to save the load fortunately πŸ™‚
    Just wanted to ask you if I could use some hazelnut flower (which I have) instead of hazelnuts and how much could I use instead ?
    Thanks a lot and thanks for your fabulous recipes :-))

14. Joelle Maliepaard

Hi Megan! Quick question for you…Could this be made in a Vitamix, instead of a food processor? If so, do you have any tips? Thank you for all the great recipes! πŸ™‚

15. Teresa

I just tried making this tonight. I was looking forward to a non-refined sugar recipe. I made it in my blendtec. It turned out grainy, oily and not as sweet as I was hoping, even after I added the maple syrup. So, a little disappointed… not sure what I should have done differently. It’s in the fridge right now. Maybe I’ll try adding more maple syrup tomorrow and see if that helps the sweetness.

Did you follow the directions above exactly? I’ve never had the best luck making nut butter in my Vitamix, but the recipe should work fine as long as you make a creamy hazelnut butter first (so it shouldn’t be grainy). And did you only add 1 tablespoon of oil, and the 1/4 cup of water? It definitely shouldn’t be oily. If you want it sweeter, you can add more coconut sugar or maple syrup to taste.

16. Teresa

I figured out what I did wrong. I added more hazelnuts than what the recipe called for. This likely is why it was so oily. Therefore, to make up for the excess of nuts, I added more cocoa and maple syrup (homemade) and it was much nicer. The great thing is that my kids like it and request it. I will definitely make it again. Goal achieved. Thanks for all your great recipes.

17. Carole from Ottawa, Canada

Just made this in my vitamix and is glossy and delicious. Can’t wait for it to be refrigerator cold to enjoy on rice crackers this afternoon. Thank you for this healthier version of the store bought stuff.

18. Shelby

I made this this weekend to bring to a dinner party hosted by a friend. It was gone in one sitting. (It was just four of us and I’m not ashamed!) So delicious!!!!

19. Malou

Hi Megan,

I just made this homemade Nutella and it was so delish. It was so smooth, creamy and glossy. It has a texture just like the store bought one. I just used 1 cup of hazelnuts, because I only had 1 cup, 4 tablespoons of coconut sugar, 4 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. And I added a lil bit of organic vanilla extract. Cant stop nibbling on it. Now, I can make Nutella strawberry crepes.

Thank you for sharing this recipe.

20. Pingback: Homemade nutella | Aliens in the Apple

1. Heather MacAuley

indeed!! Hazelnuts are expensive!! If the ingredients are safer for you and you don’t have a ton of kids, it might be ok

21. Pingback: Paleo Nutella (dairy free, vegan, sugar free, soy free) | No Worries Cooking & Baking

22. Pingback: Recipe: Homemade Chocolate Spread

23. Rachel H

Could you skip the first steps and buy a jar of organic hazelnut butter from the healthstore? How much Hazelnut butter does 1+1/2 of hazelnuts make? I don’t have a food processor but I do have a kitchen aid so I could follow the rest of the recipe I think…This would be awesome, I have had so many cravings for Nutella since I had to give up dairy!!!

In my experience 1 cup of nuts = 1/2 cup nut butter. So, I’d guess 3/4 cup of hazelnut butter would work for this recipe!

24. Glynis

I’m sorry to say this was a total disaster. Everything was going fine until I tried adding the water in (one tablespoon at a time). Then the whole thing separated, and the oil just wouldn’t integrate back in. The consistency ended up being like oily play doh. A genuine waste of expensive ingredients! πŸ™

25. rovina

I replaced hazelnuts with cashews, maple syrup with honey, and melted coconut oil with melted butter, also add pinch of salt and blend it with thermomix and its turns great. Thanks for sharing this recipe, love it, and will make it again with other nuts

26. Marci

Thanks for posting this. I tried it tonight (using your maple syrup substitute for the coconut sugar) and while it doesn’t taste just like Nutella, it had its own unique flavor that I like. Also, I bought the roasted hazelnuts at Trader Joe’s, so I didn’t have to roast them. The consistency was perfect! Thanks very much!

27. Patti

Adding the water, one tablespoon at a time, resulted in a disaster! It completely seized up and turned into a gloppy mess. Not sure what went wrong. Tastes good but is not smooth and creamy. Any ideas?

It does seize up at first, you just need to keep adding the water until it becomes smooth.

28. Talitha

Yay, we did it! We homeschool and for a special project made Nutella today! My kids (8, 6 and 4) were so excited and proud! Great recipe, thank you!

29. Charmaine

You say that you can store the finished spread in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. Can the spread be frozen ? Have you tried to freeze it to check if the consistency changes with freezing ?

30. Heather MacAuley

i used heaping Tbsp of cocoa but that was a mistake; it is rather bitter. So I added some carob and had to use a bit more sugar to un-bitter it. it is super glossy, not sure if I actually want the coconut oil in there? But it is fun! The nuts got skinned fairly easily, by rubbing in the towel, transferring to a colander, shaking them, shaking out the towel and repeating. Had to do three goes but the skins were easily dealt with.

31. Marie

I got the same weird thing, when I added the water, all the Nutella clumped up and the oil separated out. Before the water everything was fine. I’m tempted to try again without water. I also think some vanilla might be a good addition