Pizza Stir-Fry

Sometimes the tastiest meals are created in a pinch.

pizza-stir-fry

In an effort to stick to our budget, I decided to get creative with the handful of ingredients we had left in our fridge this past week. I had a few pizza ingredients leftover from a photo shoot, so I had all of my favorite pizza toppings on hand, including green peppers and pepperoni. (Pepperoni isn’t something we eat often, but Applegate Farms is the cleanest brand I’ve found so far.) I also had a head of cabbage in my fridge, a few stalks of kale, and a glass jar of tomato paste in my pantry. Basically, I had everything I needed to re-create the flavor of pizza… but no crust.

I had a feeling that when sautéed, the shredded cabbage would almost become spaghetti-like, so I thought maybe I could just sauté everything together with the jar of tomato paste for a pizza “pasta” sort of dish. As it turns out, it’s more of a pizza-flavored stir-fry, but it’s so delicious I think I’ll be making it on a regular basis from now on!

The beauty of this recipe is that it is SO adaptable. Use whatever you have on hand! It has plenty of flavor with or without the cheese, so it can accommodate nearly any special dietary needs you may have. I hope you enjoy it!

Pizza Stir-Fry
Serves 2

1 teaspoon coconut oil or butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 ounces pepperoni (optional)
1 cup kale, shredded
1 1/2 pounds cabbage, shredded
7 ounce jar tomato paste, no salt added
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 cup water, as needed for sautéing
2 ounces crumbled feta (optional)

Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat, and sauté the onion, pepper, and pepperoni (if using) until tender, about 8 minutes. Add in the shredded kale, cabbage, tomato paste, salt, and oregano, and sauté until the greens begin to wilt. Add the water to help prevent sticking, and cover the pot to let the veggies cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.

pizza-stirfry

Remove the lid and stir, making sure all the liquid has evaporated– you may need to cook it for another few minutes to help reduce the liquid. Adjust any seasonings to taste and serve warm, with a sprinkling of feta over the top, if desired.

Pizza Stir-Fry
Serves: 2

A quick and easy stir-fry that tastes like pizza!
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil or butter
  • ½ yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 ounces pepperoni (optional)
  • 1 cup kale, shredded
  • 1½ pounds cabbage, shredded
  • 7 ounce jar tomato paste
  • ¾ tsp salt
  • 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
  • ¼ cup water, as needed for sautéing
  • 2 ounces crumbled feta (optional)
  1. Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat, and sauté the onion, pepper, and pepperoni (if using) until tender, about 8 minutes.
  2. Add in the shredded kale, cabbage, tomato paste, salt, and oregano, and sauté until the greens begin to wilt. Add the water to help prevent sticking, and cover the pot to let the veggies cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
  3. Remove the lid and stir, making sure all the liquid has evaporated. Adjust any seasonings to taste and serve warm, with a sprinkling of feta over the top, if desired.

Note: I prefer to avoid canned foods as often as possible, so be sure to look for tomato paste that is sold in glass jars for best quality. Also, the tomato paste I used had no salt added, so be sure to adjust the salt as needed if you use a salted variety!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite meal to throw together in a pinch? I could eat pizza or spaghetti every single night, so I wind up eating something like this at least once a week, though the veggies usually change depending on what I have on hand.

27 thoughts on “Pizza Stir-Fry

1. aleksandra

Hi Meghan, I signed up for your newsletter a couple of weeks ago, but still have not received a newsletter, despite sending you an email about it to your gmail account. I’m eager to recieve the 21 day kickstart information. Has the newsletter simply not come out yet, or have I not been added to the email list?

Best,
    Aleksandra

Hi Aleksandra! My emails will go to the “promotions” tab in your gmail account. Have you checked for them there? A lot of people miss them because of that!

1. Laura ~ Raise Your Garden

I’m hyped about this recipe because I think I will be able to add my garlic scapes to this recipe! I’ve been looking a so creative ways to use them and bingo, this popped up. I know the recipe doesn’t call for them, but I think they’d work in here well. I’m also considering adding a little baby bok choy. Love Love Love this!!!!

2. Christine

Hi megan, I bought your book with the promotion for president ordering and have not received any information on the promotion

Hi Christine! It sounds like you didn’t submit your order number in time. Forward me a copy of your preorder receipt and I’ll get you the bonus recipes.

3. Cindy

Hi Megan,
    Love this idea! What’s funny is tonight’s meal was to help with the budget too’. I’m doing zucchini noodles with sauce and crimini mushrooms. I wish I had some onions & pepperoni though! Plus the tomato paste probably gives it a richer flavor. This sounds delicious!

4. Denise

Cookbook comment–
    It’s getting dirty because it’s getting used so much!
    Kids love love the “Very Vanilla cupcakes” and “chocolate avocado buttercream.” 5 stars for cookbook!!

5. Christine

Hello Megan!

I am new to the blogging world and just love your website. Your grain free almond flour banana bread is a staple recipe in our home as I have a family member that is gluten-free.

Thank you for your innovation!
    -Christine

6. Chi Tran

When I first saw Pizza Stir Fry, I thought it would be a super yummy but guilty concoction. Guess I was wrong, this looks super healthy and I won’t have to worry about the calorie count every time I make it. Thanks for coming up with this!
    I love your site and would like to invite you to become a recipe partner. Are you interested?

7. Rebecca

Oh my wow!!! I loved this dish! It reminded me of “crockpot pizza” my mom used to make. I will for sure be making this again! I think it truly embodies that pizza-y taste =)

8. Sanjana

This pizza stir fry was AMAZING. Now I can have pizza flavor without the be belly bloat. This is so easy to make. Topped mine with olives and jalapeno peppers. Thank you for another brilliant recipe!

9. Pingback: WIAW: Whatta Melon. - Sinful Nutrition

10. Lisa

My hubby was stuck for dinner ideas and I was working late. I emailed him this and he whipped it up. We used Asian cabbage as it was all we had. We both loved it and wished he had made more. We topped it with grated Parmesan, it was great!!

11. Sandra

Hi..I’m trying to come up with a healthy nightshade-free marinara replacement. This recipe looks so good! Maybe a healthy, perfectly combined, alfredo sauce! Is there such a thing?! My husband is eliminating nightshades from his diet right now and it ‘ain’t’ easy!

12. otilia da silva

Great recipe, it tastes so good. Instead of pepperoni try portuguese hot chorizo (sausage)
    It’s to die for.

13. Dee

I made this for dinner this evening. One family member doesn’t care for pepperoni, so I left it out. I added a pinch more salt and oregano and a bit of garlic powder. Everyone cleaned their plate. Thanks, Megan!

14. Aurial

I love this recipe and have made it several times. It freezes really well. I froze it in a ziplock for a little over 2 months. I let it defrost and and heated it in the oven, tastes just as good as fresh!

15. Ursula

This is delicious! A great alternative to pasta and my husband (who is not normally a fan of healthy/alternative food) loves it. I added black olives and goat cheese cut into strips.

16. Melissa

I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious! Even my husband, who tends to be picky when it comes to healthier dishes, approved! I didn’t have pepperoni, so I substituted in ground beef (locally raised, hormone free) for his dish and left mine meat free. I also added mushrooms, as we are big mushroom lovers. Will definitely make this again! Thanks for the great recipe!

17. Kinsey

I made this for dinner tonight and am absolutely amazed at how yummy this is! I didn’t use any meat but did add mushrooms because my partner and I love them. He actually said this was one of the best vegetarian meals he has ever had. This recipe is definitely going to be a regular! Thank you!