What I Ate: Grazing

If you already subscribe to my email newsletter, you know that things have been a little crazy in my life lately. Hence, why I haven’t been able to post here as often as I would like to. (Luckily, there is an end in sight!)

One of the things keeping me occupied is the recipe development for my next cookbook. My deadline is quickly approaching, so I’ve been testing 5+ recipes after work each night to make sure that every single one is fool-proof and delicious. (I have an army of recipe testers double-checking them for me, too!) The perk of this schedule is that I always have loads of food in my fridge the next day for quick and easy meals. The con is that I have too much food… but luckily I have lots of friends and family members willing it take it off my hands.

pie

I’ve been grazing on small meals and snacks throughout the day more than I usually do, probably because that’s how my son currently eats. He’s still in a “picky toddler” phase where he’ll only eat food that I don’t offer him… so I have to eat a lot around him to make certain foods look enticing– like fruit, smoothies, and salads. If I offer it to him, he’s not interested. But if I sit there and eat it in front of him long enough, he will almost always ask for a bite. Oh, the silly games I will play to get him to choose to eat well!

I’ve hesitated to share any “What I Ate” posts lately, because I don’t want to tease you with a bunch of recipes I can’t share with you yet. The wait is the hardest part of writing a cookbook! But, I thought a little update was in order, so here’s a peek at what we’ve been eating lately:

what-I-ate

Morning: We always start our day with some sort of fresh fruit. My son just recently decided that he likes pineapple, so that’s an easy option– even if it does start to burn your mouth after too many bites. I also picked up a small container of pre-cut watermelon to see if he would try that… but I ended up eating it all myself. Goat’s milk yogurt is a big hit with the little guy, too, so he almost always has a small bowl of that each morning. (He doesn’t share that one with me. He calls it “ice cream” and apparently it’s a real treat!)

We also make “milkshakes” each morning for the whole family, so my husband can drink his breakfast on the way to work. The Chocolate Superfood Shake (from the preorder bonus pack) is our go-to, although my son prefers fruit smoothies so I usually end up making two different flavors and sipping on whatever he doesn’t finish.

Mid-Morning: I worked on a nut-free pie crust the night before, so I wanted to sample it to see if it worked out. Not surprisingly, I had another little taste tester eager to try the pie! I used my Vegan & Paleo French Silk Pie recipe as the filling, and of course, it was delicious– even if the crust does still need a little work.

Lunch: I made a shredded Brussels sprouts salad the night before, so it was super-tender after marinating in the fridge all night. It’s amazing how much an entire pound of brussels sprouts can shrink! I tossed them with peppers, red onions, and added in a big handful of goat feta crumbles for some extra salty-flavor, and it was amazing. I think I’ll be eating brussels sprouts like this more often! I also made three scrambled eggs to share with my son, but I ended up eating most of them myself. (He used to eat three eggs on his own! It’s amazing how much they can change from month to month…)

Snack: I snacked on an entire box of blueberries, and two pieces of chocolate almond butter fudge. (Similar to this recipe.) My little guy is OBSESSED with the fudge.

Dinner: Last night, I made a hearty Minestrone soup for dinner, loaded with white beans and veggies, along with a side of garlic-roasted broccoli. As usual, I ate half the broccoli directly off the pan before it even made it to a serving bowl for the rest of my family!

I’ve gotten in the habit of not eating dessert at night lately, mostly because my go-to dark chocolate has been keeping me up at night. We’re still breastfeeding over here, which means I’m going on 3 years without caffeine– making my body ultra-senstive to eating even chocolate at night. So, I’ve been sipping on decaf green tea instead, which is perfect while it’s still a little chilly outside anyway.

Reader Feedback: What are YOU eating this week? Oh, and if you have any recipe requests for the next book, NOW is the time to ask! I’m all ears.

18 thoughts on “What I Ate: Grazing

1. Sara

Perhaps a vegertarian version of Shepherd’s Pie or hearty coconut soup? I have been on a vegetarian kick lately…XD

2. Allison

I’d love recipes that can be made ahead of time or at least prepped ahead of time! Naptime=my only chance to do everything. A healthy version of nachos or quesadillas would be good. Savory snack ideas (other than veggies and some sort of dip) especially for the afternoon slump when I eat anything can see. When is the next book coming out? I can’t wait!!

That’s funny about your son’s eating habits….. my 2 yr old does the same thing. I guess I need to eat better stuff if I want her to eat better stuff!

3. Jessica

Always looking for healthy slow cooker recipes! And snacks/dessert recipes with different swaps for nuts (for example I see almond meal or other almond variations in recipes and I can’t have almonds so any swaps in recipes for other types of nuts or seeds would be super helpful!)

4. Gia

Yay! Love your ‘what I ate’ shares!!! I’m so excited for your new pie crust! And thank you for the nutritional info update…I know all about eating disorders and it’s not that I appreciate the facts to be finatical, but as a guideline for a healthful way of eating my nutritionist is attempting to see me through presently. Would love to see some recipes using lean animal protein in your new cook book- even if it’s a great marinade for chicken breasts and a big salad! Or anything with chicken and cooked veggies too!❤️

5. Gia

Oops- one more question- when you roast a whole chicken or grill chicken breasts, what do you use? Oil? Wanted to ask since I like to keep things clean and simple so that they don’t compete with side vegetables or salads/salad dressings…Thank you!

6. Karen

Brainstorming with you! Interested in affordable family friendly meals and snacks. Simple. maybe recipes where t is hard for kids to pick out their vegetables.
    Ideas I have are…
    -perogies
    -more cake ideas and icing ideas. My favourite flavour is bday cake 😉
    -Nanaimo bars!!! (Huge in Canada around Xmas time)
    -granola bars and muffiNs.
    -Carrot cakes and cream cheese icing
    -pho and wonton soups
    -casserols make for an easy supper. How about “chicken” pot pies and “tuna”
    -biscuits and scones
    -lefse
    -Broccoli salad
    -Carrot salad
    -baklava

Might I also note that what I like the most about your blog is unique ways to include more vegetables in our diets. Your sweet potato buttercream was a stroke of pure genius. I also like your kitchen tips that you often give. How to properly cook something, flavour balancing, textural components. Kitchen and mom hacks. And how make life easier while being frugal.

7. Colleen

I second the biscotti, I tried to make it yesterday with flax eggs and it’s nothing spectacular. Maybe a veggie-stir-fry, not sure if you eat rice. I bought the coconut aminos to replace soy sauce and it’s sitting there unopened, not sure what to do with it exactly.

8. Martine

If you want another recipe tester, let me know! I cook from your cookbook/website all the time and my boyfriend LOVES your food. Last night he gave your vegan mac and cheese his highest compliment, “This tastes like it should be bad for me.”

9. Alison

I second the Insta-Pot recipes! Also, I would love to see a healthier dairy-free version of rice pudding made with coconut milk. I cannot find one anywhere.

10. Khtistina

I am completely thrilled with my 21 day kick start so far and every recipe I have made has been outstanding. I must say I am struggling with breakfast. Before food combining, my favorite morning meal was old fashioned oats, yogurt, blueberries and walnuts! I am a flight attendant and basically live out of my lunch cooler when on the road so smoothies and eggs are not a option. Can someone offer a breakfast combination that is easy for me to take with me and assemble and eat in my hotel room or on the plane? Thanks so much!

11. Jean

I love your What I Ate posts! Thank you for all your posts and recipes.

You mentioned making scrambled eggs. I am in the market for new kitchen skillets. Do you have any recommendations? What skillet or pan do YOU use when scrambling eggs?

As for recipe requests: Have you ever had the sautéed vegetables from Bossa Nova (a restaurant with several locations around LA)? I don’t know how they make it so delicious. I would love to see a healthy copycat version of those sautéed veggies.

Thank you so much!