This Asian Cucumber Salad is a quick and easy summer side dish, tossed in a delicious sesame-lime dressing. It takes less than 15 minutes to throw together, and has an addictive crunch that will have you coming back for more.
How Do You Prepare Cucumbers?
The main effort involved in making this salad is slicing the cucumbers into bite-sized pieces. Depending on your preferences, you can remove the seeds or leave them alone. The salad will be slightly more watery if you leave the seeds in and let the salad sit out for too long.
When I’m making this for my family, I quickly slice the cucumbers leaving the seeds in for maximum speed and nutrition. However, if I’m bringing this salad to a party where it might sit out for a bit, I’ll take the time to slice the cucumber lengthwise first, then I’ll use a spoon to scoop the seeds out.
How Do You Cut Cucumbers for Salad?
There are two ways you can cut the cucumbers for this salad. The first way is into larger, 1 1/2-inch chunks, which leaves you with a sturdier salad. The second way is to slice the cucumber in half lengthwise first, and then cut the cucumber halves into thin, half-moon shapes.
This is the texture I prefer when eating cucumber salad, but keep in mind that the cucumber will start to wilt and sweat a little faster with this method. It’s best to toss the cucumbers in the salad dressing just before serving to help keep their crunch in tact.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
Once you’ve sliced the cucumbers, making this salad is easy. In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, salt, and honey, and whisk to combine. Then you’ll add in the chopped cucumbers, green onions, and fresh mint leaves.
I recommend serving this salad as soon as you’ve tossed the cucumbers with the dressing, as the cucumbers will sweat as they sit in the bowl. This can dilute the flavor if it sits too long, but you can always add an extra squeeze of lime juice or season with extra salt, as needed.
If you’re planning on making this salad ahead of time, store the cucumbers separately from from the dressing so that they will stay crisp, then toss them together right before serving.
Cucumber Salad Recipe (1-minute video):
Asian Cucumber Salad (Addictive!)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoons freshly minced or grated ginger , or to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey (use maple syrup for vegan)
- 1 English cucumber (or 5-6 baby cucumbers); sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves , finely chopped
- 3 green onions , chopped
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds , for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, honey and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Add in the cucumbers, mint, and green onions, and toss gently to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top and serve right away. This salad will become watery when stored in the fridge, so I recommend storing the cucumbers and dressing separately if you need to store it for more than a few hours. The sliced cucumbers should last for up to 3 days in the fridge before getting soggy.
Cucumber Salad Nutrition (for 1/4 of the batch): Calories: 107, Fat: 8g, Carbohyrdates: 9g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 1g
- You can swap lemon juice for the lime juice, or use a mix of both.
- For a vegan salad, use maple syrup instead of the honey, or try coconut nectar. These are both slightly less sweet than honey, so you might want to use a little more to your taste.
If you try this salad, please leave a comment below letting me know how you like it. And if you make any substitutions, I’d love to hear how that works for you, too. We can all benefit from hearing about your experience.
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite way to serve cucumbers?
Questions and Reviews
How did you know I had 3 cucumbers in my fridge to use up?? LOL Just made this for lunch and it is so good and refreshing!
Sounds yummy and refreshing! Thanks for this recipes.
This was so good! Made it last night and saved half of the dressing and cucumbers for tonight – can’t wait to have it again!
We usually just have our cucumbers in salads, sandwiches or as crudités. This was a new way to enjoy them. Family approved 😉 I didn’t include the mint; I thought it would be more palatable for my kids. It was great without but will definitely add it in next time we make this!
Amazing cucumber salad recipe. I really love this amazing cucumber salad recipe. Thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe.
We loved this! Yummy and refreshing.
Wonderful side dish to grilled chicken. Didnt have mint but it worked just as well. Added a little fish sauce for an asian touch.
this is delicious! I love as is and also added to a grain/roasted sweet potato & mushroom bowl along with some greens
OMG! It might not make it to the dinner table. Addictive is correct.
Really delicious! Fresh and crunchy! A new staple in my house.