This Sesame-Lime Cabbage Salad is ultra-refreshing, and takes only minutes to prepare. It’s lightly sweet and tangy, and everyone will ask you for the recipe once they taste it!
How to Make Cabbage Salad
This salad is easy to assemble; you’ll just need to chop a few vegetables to get started. I use roughly 1/2 head of cabbage for this recipe, along with 2 carrots, to end up with a pound of shredded vegetables.
Time-Saving Tip: You can use a 1-pound bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix from the store to replace the shredded cabbage and carrots in this recipe.
How Do You Make Raw Cabbage Taste Good?
The following Sesame-Lime Dressing is key to making this salad taste good. Once the vegetables are chopped, all you’ll need to do is stir the dressing ingredients together.
You can do this in a separate bowl, or in the bottom of the large salad bowl you plan to use so you only have one dish to clean later.
This salad tastes best when you let it marinate for at least 15 minutes, so the flavors can fully meld. You can make it up to a day in advance if you want to store it in the fridge, and it makes a convenient packed lunch, too.
How to Adjust the Flavor
With any salad, it’s a good idea to taste this right before you serve it, and make any adjustments to your liking. If it tastes too sweet, you can add an extra splash of vinegar or lime juice, and if it tastes too tangy or salty, an extra squeeze of honey will balance that out.
To make this salad vegan-friendly, replace the honey with maple syrup or agave. I would probably add an extra splash of maple syrup, if you choose to use that, as it’s not quite as sweet as honey.
Sesame-Lime Cabbage Salad
For the salad:
- 1/2 head cabbage , shredded (12 ounces or 4 cups)
- 2 carrots , shredded (about 4 ounces or 1 cup)
- 3 green onions , chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro , chopped (about 1 cup)
- Sesame seeds , for garnish (optional)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons raw honey , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove , minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 inch fresh ginger , minced (about 1 tablespoon; or 1 teaspoon ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- In a large bowl, combine the lime juice, honey, vinegar, garlic, ginger, salt, and sesame oil. Whisk well to combine.
- Add in the shredded cabbage, carrots, green onion, and cilantro, then toss well to coat everything with the dressing. The flavors are best when you let them marinate together for at least 15 minutes.
- After the salad has marinated, toss again right before serving, then garnish with sesame seeds, if desired. This recipe will serve 4 as a side salad, or 2 as a main course with your favorite toppings.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Nutrition information is for 1/4 of this recipe. This information is automatically calculated using generic ingredients, and is just an estimate, not a guarantee.
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below letting me know how you like it. And if you make any modifications, I’d love to hear about those, too! We can all benefit from your experience.
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite salad lately?