This Cabbage Salad is tossed with a sweet sesame-lime dressing and makes a delicious alternative to creamy coleslaw. Bring it to your next party for a side dish that will impress your friends & family!
Ingredients You’ll Need
A simple combination of lime juice, toasted sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, and ginger make up the dressing. It takes just minutes to stir together.
If you don’t have limes, you can use lemons instead. And feel free to use any other vegetables you have on hand, such as red bell pepper. To save time, you can even use a store-bought coleslaw mix which usually includes a blend of shredded cabbage and carrots.
How to Make the Best Cabbage Salad
1. Mix the salad dressing.
Combine the lime juice, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, honey, and salt in a large bowl.
Use a whisk to mix well, then set it aside while you chop the veggies.
2. Prepare the vegetables.
Use a sharp knife and cutting board to chop the cilantro and green onions. If you’re working with a whole head of green cabbage, remove the outer leaves, then finely slice it. You’ll most likely only need half a head of cabbage for this recipe (about 1 pound), and feel free to use red cabbage or a mix of both for extra color.
Next, shred the carrots using a box grater or food processor attachment.
Add the chopped veggies and cilantro to the bowl of dressing, and toss well until everything is coated. Let the salad marinate for 15 minutes for the best flavor.
Taste the salad and make any adjustments as needed. Add an extra splash of lime juice or vinegar to make the flavor tart, or add a little more honey for extra sweetness. Add an extra pinch of salt or a splash of soy sauce to boost the overall flavor. Or, add a few crushed red pepper flakes or freshly ground black pepper for some spice.
If you’d like to add extra crunchiness, add sliced almonds or walnuts just before serving. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You may need to brighten up the flavor as it sits by adding a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can stir the cabbage salad dressing up to 4 days in advance and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Pour it over the salad veggies at least 15 minutes before serving it so the flavors can meld.
Replace the honey with agave or maple syrup for a vegan-friendly option.
Yes, rice vinegar makes a great substitute for apple cider vinegar, or you can use champagne vinegar if you keep that in your pantry.
- 1 pound shredded cabbage (about ½ head)
- 2 shredded carrots (or 1 cup)
- 3 green onions , chopped (about ½ cup)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds (optional crunch)
- Combine the lime juice, vinegar, honey, toasted sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Add the shredded cabbage, carrots, green onion, and cilantro, then toss well to coat everything with the dressing. Allow the salad to marinate for at least 15 minutes to let the flavors meld.
- Taste the salad again just before serving, and make any adjustments as needed. Add extra salt to boost the flavor, or a pinch of black pepper or red pepper flakes for extra spice. Top with sliced almonds for added crunch, and enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
If you try this cabbage salad recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below, letting me know how you like it.