Many of you already have enjoyed my cashew-based vegan “cheese” sauce, but today I wanted to attempt a nut-free vegan, cheese sauce–> one that would be properly combined when enjoyed with a high-quality pasta!
A sweet potato! (a white-fleshed sweet potato… which seems a little less sweet to me than the orange-fleshed variety)
You could probably use any type of potato for this recipe, but I like the extra nutritional bang from using the sweet variety.
A creamy, dairy-free "cheese" sauce that's perfect over noodles or veggies!
- 1 medium sweet potato , chopped into chunks
- 1 cup unflavored almond milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- pasta of choice , cooked as directed
- In a small sauce pan, steam the sweet potato chunks until tender, about 10 minutes. Mash the cooked potato with a fork, then measure out one cup of mashed sweet potato for the sauce.
- Add the one cup of mashed sweet potato to your blender, along with the rest of your sauce ingredients, then blend on high, until smooth and creamy!
- Adjust the seasonings to taste, then serve over a bowl of your favorite piping-hot pasta!
If you don’t use up all of the “cheese sauce” in one dish, you can save the leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I plan on enjoying my leftover sauce over some steamed veggies for dinner tonight!