Creamy Tahini Dressing

Looks can be deceiving.SONY DSC

At first glance, you may think this container is brimming with a heart-clogging, cream-based dressing. A dressing that makes you feel guilty just by looking at it.

But there’s no need for guilt here, my friends. Go ahead and drench your veggies in this stuff!

I sure am.

Creamy Tahini Dressing
makes about 1 1/2 cups

1/2 cup raw tahini
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
1 clove garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup water, or more for desired consistency

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more water to thin, if desired.

(It will thicken up when it’s chilled!)

Serve generously over your favorite veggies, or as a delicious dip.

Creamy Tahini Dressing
Serves: 1.5 cups

A creamy, dairy-free dressing.
  • ½ cup raw tahini
  • ½ cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
  • 1 clove garlic (or ½ teaspoon garlic powder)
  • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ cup water, or more for desired consistency
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy! Add more water to thin, if desired. (It will thicken up once chilled.)
  2. Serve generously over your favorite veggies, or as a dip.

Creamy dressings were another thing I didn’t like as a kid.

It’s a good thing I grew up!

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

51 thoughts on “Creamy Tahini Dressing

1. Paula

I make the same dressing! LOVE it. I like to add a little smoked paprika to it too – lends a nice, subtle smoky flavor and turns it a slight earthy pink color πŸ™‚

2. Pingback: Can’t Turn On The Oven | Taste Life Coaching

3. Valentine

hi Megan!!! thank you SO SO MUCH! for creating and posting sugar-free stevia-friendly recipes. you are a PioneerYeastMonsterSlayer! thank you !! πŸ™‚

4. Lindsay

As far as food combining goes, is tahini under the nuts, seeds, and dried fruit category? Or is it neutral?

5. Sarah

Megan you might laugh, but both my meals today were from the Megan Menu! I went out and bought some tahini for the first time ever. I almost fell over when I saw the total fat content but then checked the (low) saturated fat total. The media has brainwashed us to think all fat = bad. Anyway, I made this dressing for a huge salad today and I LOVED it! Thanks for all the great, healthy ideas.

You must have read my mind, Sarah! I’m writing a post for tomorrow all about fat– and how we shouldn’t be scared of it!! πŸ™‚

6. Carrie

Hi Megan,
    I tried finding ‘raw’ tahini at my local Sunflower Farmers Market. I only found roasted seed tahini, will that work for your recipes? I’m assuming the raw tahini comes from un-roasted, plain sesame seeds? I bought the stores brand, which didn’t say roasted, but it also didn’t say raw. πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to try this recipe tonight, and also planning on making your goat yogurt ranch. Starting to get bored with plain lemon and olive oil dressing. Thanks for all the recipes!

7. Amy

What Tahini do you recommend? I definitely think the taste of the tahini makes a big difference as I have made hummus with not so great results. Would love to know which brand(s) you would recommend. Thanks!

8. Pingback: Creamy Dreamy Dressing » Existential Evolution

9. SF

You should just call this dressing “liquid crack”! I will be pouring this over my salads all week. Your recipes are the BEST.

10. Paige

Made this today, and even my 5-year old son enjoyed his salad! I added some extra herbs, so it would look like ranch dressing. Thanks!

11. felisha

Made this over the weekend, absolutely delicious. This is for veggies and dip, for the summer time! πŸ™‚

12. Pingback: Food lately. | Life in Vancouver, My Kitchen and Other Adventures

13. Pingback: The New Baby! | Letty Bug and Salem Moon

14. Lesa J.

I have recently been diagnosed with some liver problems and I can not have sodium. Do you have any sodium free receipes? Especially for sauces and dressings. Thanks!

Lesa, you are always welcome to leave the salt out of any of my recipes. The results will be a bit more bland, but I’m sure your taste-buds will have adapted to less sodium flavor, anyway.

15. Pingback: Top 25 Raw Vegan Dressing Recipes | Raw Vegan Power

16. Penny

I love this dressing and so does my 11 month old! (While eating this was the only time I have ever seen her trying to lick her plate.) I also introduced a friend to it, and she loves it! I just need to work on my 3 year old πŸ˜‰

17. Carol

Yum, yum, yum! I loved it and its simple enough to whip up real quick. Wondered how your game out soo white but I realized that my organic Tahini is from roasted seeds. I’ll try the brand you recommend. I found it once but gasped at the price so didn’t buy it. My Whole Foods stores stopped carrying it so I will order from Amazon. Thanks for your recipes. They taste like real food. (I think you know what I mean!)
    I give it 5 stars but for some reason it will only highlight 4 stars no matter how many times I tap the 5th one. Probably an Ipad glitch.

18. Pingback: delectable dishes 2 (via the interwebz…i can’t cook for sh*t) | lux aeterna

19. Pingback: Day Four of the gym & Brunch Journal | Sandy in Shape

20. Pingback: Year in Review (No. 2): My Favourite Recipes & My 2014 Bucket List | Labels Are For Tin Cans

21. Pingback: Food Lately No. 3 | Labels Are For Tin Cans

22. Deanna

This is the third time I’ve made this. I think I like it better with less garlic and more onion so I adjust it slightly. Also, I use 1 lemon, which gives me a quarter of a cup of juice (I must have large lemons!) then top that off with water to make it equal a half cup. It’s perfect! Soooooooo yummy!

23. Pingback: 5 Incredible Tips +Recipes That Will Make Cooking Healthy EASY QUICK & CHEAP | Glowin Girl

24. sara

Better than Annie’s Goddess. I have been following you and making recipes that you post now for about a year. I added a little green onion. This was better than I expected. I ran out of my yogurt dill dressing I make and decided to try it. Some day I will make everything you post.

25. Isis

This is absolutely the BEST dressing ever… I have had it with two different salads and both tasted great. I used a a small chunk of red onion as i didnt have onion powder and still came out fantastic. The salad it tasted best with was a combo of red cabbage, white cabbage, lots of mint, lots of coriander, orange carrot and lots of chives. Delish with toasted almonds.

26. Pingback: My 10 Favorite Fall Vegetables & My Favorite Ways to Eat them! | EAT KALE FOR BREAKFAST

27. Becky

I really loved this! I’ll probably add slightly less lemon for my own personal taste next time, but it was divine used as a dip for my sweet potato fries. Thank you! Love your recipes!

28. Kelly

I love Tahini so I had to try this. I thought the Tahini taste was a little to strong so I added some maple syrup to this and it was just what it needed. Just poured it over a huge plate of veggies, delicious.

29. Diana

Just made this tahini with cashews (didn’t have the raw tahini on hand) and a handfull whole sesame seeds then blended in Vitamix till smooth and frothy. SOOOOOO good, I plan to wow my husband with it tonight πŸ˜‰ Will be serving with roasted shawarma spiced veggies, I can’t wait for dinner! Another delicious recipe Megan, thanks!!!

30. Pingback: Traditional, Creamily Dressed, Vegan Pasta Salad | hitbycoconuts

31. Pingback: » Another Post About Kale The Cottage Revolution

32. Kristen

Can you add balsamic vinegar to this dressing? I feel like I need to add something else besides water to make it not so thick. I LOVE it for a dip, I’m talking about for a salad dressing.

33. MG

This dressing was so tasty and easy to make. I put it on a fried portabella mushroom, cherry tomato, and green bean dish. Planning to try it on salad since there is plenty left over. I wonder how long it lasts in the fridge.

34. Melissa

Made this yesterday, stored it in the fridge overnight to let the flavors come together. Yum-o! Eating it right now and loving it. Thanks, Megan!