Curried Butternut Bisque

‘Tis the season for squash!SONY DSC

With my mom in town, I wanted to make a comforting dinner that tasted as good as a restaurant-quality meal–> without having to leave the house! We both love curry-flavored dishes, so I had a feeling this soup would be a hit.

And, boy, was it.

Curried Butternut Bisque
Serves: 4

A creamy, dairy-free soup that's perfect for Fall squash!
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks (about 3-4 cups)
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
  • ½ cup almond milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
  • freshly ground nutmeg, to garnish
  1. In a large stock pot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and saute the garlic and onion for about 15 minutes, until the onions start to caramelize. Use a splash of water, if needed, to prevent sticking. Once the onions are lightly golden and tender, add the curry powder and saute for 1 minute.
  2. Add the squash and water, and bring to a boil.
  3. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
  4. Transfer the soup, in batches, to a food processor or blender, and blend until velvety smooth.
  5. Add in the almond milk, then blend one more time until creamy.
  6. Transfer the blended soup back to your original pot, season with salt, to taste, and reheat on the stove until piping hot.
  7. Serve hot, with a sprinkling of freshly ground nutmeg on top!

My mom agreed that this was just as good as any fancy restaurant’s soup.

Hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!

15 thoughts on “Curried Butternut Bisque

1. Holly

I make this with steamed sweet potatoes & carrots instead of butternut squash. I think I will try it your way next time!

2. Red Deception

Awesome! I just has a butternut squash soup recipe posted on CrazySexyLife.com – it seems like this is the soup of today! I’ve seen a few other blogs with butternut squash soup recipes!

How can you go wrong with something so sweet and nutritious? Nom nom.

3. Mary Beth

This is great with kale in it, too! I even add a little stevia to mine to enhance the sweetness. I know it’s not squash season now, but I can’t get enough of this soup! I’m doing a candida cleanse and sweet root vegetables are a big help with cutting back on sugar! 🙂

4. Carmen

Omg this was so good! I’m new to eating clean, and cooking in general for that matter. This was super easy to make and my favorite recipe so far. I hate veggies, so this is a great way for me to get them in. Quick question: is there a recipe book I can buy with all of detoxinistas recipes? Or somewhere to print them off in bulk? This website has changed my life lol, i cant risk Losing these recipes!!! Thank you so much Meghan! (p.s. Ive dropped and maintained 10 lbs in one month from using these recipes! Woohoo!)

I’m so glad to hear you’ve had such great results! Congrats!!

A book is definitely in the works, but it might take a while. In the meantime, my website will still be here as a reference in case you get sick of printing recipes. 😉

5. nicole

I love using butternut squash in recipes but find it difficult to peel and seed the squash. Do you have suggestions on how to make that part easier?

1. Donna

@nicole…I used frozen pumpkin purée…to save a step…and it worked PERFECTLY (approximately 2 cups of winter squash “meat” if you will)…They have a very high quality one at Picard surgelé in France…but I am sure in the US you can find frozen 100% pumpkin or winter squash!)

6. robin

This was yummy with curry. And super easy to make. I did add some spice-I needed some heat! And fresh pepper on top. Thank you!

7. Leigh

Just finished eating this for dinner as part of a 21 day detox plan & it was delicious. I used 2tsp curry instead of 1.5tsp for a little extra spice, topped with a bit of nutmeg & fresh ground black pepper. Also used coconut milk instead of almond & it was perfect. Love this soup! Will definitely make again. Can’t wait to try more detoxinista recipes!

8. Tamara

@Nicole and all,
    Cooking any squash in the slow cooker is as easy as it gets!
    Add whole squash poked with a knife (like you do when cooking a potato)
    Directly to the slow cooker with cups of water, low for 8 hours. Done!
    Comes out super soft and easy to cut. Cut in half , scoop out seeds and discard. Scoop out squash and go from from there!
    Hope that helps.

9. Francesca

This was fabulous! I added 3 tablespoons of cooked quinoa and a dollop of plain unsweetened Greek yogurt. So delicious! Thanks!