Veggie Chow Mein

Remember how I said I didn’t like Chinese food? SONY DSC

Well, it turns out I was just eating the wrong kind of Chinese food.

Homemade Chinese food actually ROCKS. Especially when made with spaghetti squash noodles.

To save time, I like to roast my squash in advance so that I don’t have to spend hours in my kitchen to prepare a single meal. I simply cut the squash in half, and roast it for 30-45 minutes at 400F, then spend that time doing other household chores or watching a favorite TV show. When the squash is tender, remove from the oven and let cool before wrapping each half and storing it in the fridge. I typically eat one half at a time, so this method makes them easy to grab when I’m ready for a meal.

Veggie Chow Mein
Serves: 2

A grain-free approach to classic Chow Mein, loaded with fresh veggies!
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil
  • 1 yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons Tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
  • 1 spaghetti squash, cooked
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • 1 cup of fresh baby spinach
  1. In a large skillet, saute the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots in coconut oil, until crisp-tender. Use a splash of water, if needed, to prevent sticking. Use a fork to shred the flesh of the cooked spaghetti squash into "noodles" and set aside.
  2. Once the veggies are cooked to your liking, add in the the tamari to taste, starting with just 3 tablespoons, maple syrup, and the spaghetti squash "noodles."
  3. Toss well to heat everything thoroughly and adjust the seasoning, adding sea salt and more tamari if desired. (You may need another splash of water at this point to prevent sticking)
  4. Add the fresh spinach at the very end, as it will wilt quickly from the heat.
Notes
For a sugar-free and candida-friendly recipe, omit the maple syrup.

Hope you try it the next time a Chinese food craving hits!

Reader Feedback: Now that the weather is (kinda) getting cooler, do you find yourself craving warmer or spicier foods?

25 thoughts on “Veggie Chow Mein

1. Red Deception

That looks so tasty!

I’ve been craving creamy, warm foods… such as risotto and oatmeal. I can’t do raw foods in the beginning of winter! I need to be warm on the inside!

I’m the same way when it’s cold out– give me warm foods! Too bad we don’t really get “cold” weather here in California… I miss the seasons, and will just have to pretend it’s colder than it is. 😉

Risotto is one of my favorites, too!

2. KellyBelly

Hi
    I just picked up 2 spagetti squash at the farmers market.
    My kids saw this post and asked “where is the cake?” I just fed my boys (6 & 8) raw apple pie for breakfast. I love feeding my kids (and myself) treats/desserts that are better for you then what most people eat for breakfast out of a box.
    thanks

What lucky kids you have! I want a taste of that raw apple pie, please. (and yes, that sounds way healthier than most “traditional” breakfasts!) 😉

3. Pingback: Spaghetti Squash Noodles & Veggies! « You. Naturally.

4. Mae

I’m just a little confused on how you actually get the squash to look like noodles?? Do you just run your fork through it once it’s cooked??

Yes, the flesh is naturally string-y and noodle-like, so simply running a fork through the cooked flesh produces all the noodles!

5. AndyZ

Holy wow this was delicious! I’ve made many of your recipes and several over and over -all delish! This one is no exception. A million thanks!!!

6. Gitte

Hi! this looks tasty!
    Now, I live in Denmark, and can only buy the green squash
    Do you know if this will work too? I have never tasted or seen the yellow squash 🙁
    Oh and, I am making my own private recipe-collection so that I hopefully will start making all kind of dishes 😉
    And your recipes are a great help since I am vegan! (I don’t republish them, I just print them and organize them in my map) so thank you for this great blog!

7. Glen

Hey just wanted to say thank you for your hard work on developing this website and these delicious recipes like this veggie chow mien. I stumbled across your site while searching for recipes for my Candida diet. I am constantly on here looking for ideas and never disappointed! You have made this cleanse much easier for this “meatatarian”/bread lover.

8. Randi

I added cilantro, curry seasoning, and cashews (really added to the dish.) I mixed virgin and expeller pressed coconut oil and used it liberally. I didn’t think it needed any extra sweetener. So good.

9. Kannon

I have made spaghetti squash before and used it with homemade Alfredo or marinara but I never thought of lo mein!! I made this recipe last night with differen veggies and fish on the side. It was delish! Thank you!

10. Jenn W

I noticed that spinach is not on the ingredient list for this recipe. I went shopping for items and didn’t get it — luckily I had purchased some chard so used that instead. Really good!

11. Heather

I just started food combining this week, and I feel so much better already! My husband and kids were eating pizza,while I was eating the chow mein, and I felt like they were the ones missing out. This is unbelievably delicious!

12. Pingback: Sansationals

13. May

OMG. Vegetarian Chinese food. I used to eat so much Chinese food before I went veggie, and it’s one of the foods I miss most! There have seriously some days that I have almost been tempted to make a one-time, non-veggie meal exception, but I’ve stuck with it. Now I can’t wait to try this! 😀

14. Pingback: The 215 Most Popular Free Paleo Recipes - Essential Recipes For Every Paleo Eater

15. Milissa

Okay, I love spaghetti squash but no one else in the house does and I’ve tried a lot of ways to use it. But this looked so good I just had to make it. I cheated a bit and used a mixture of spaghetti squash, brown rice mai fun noodles and shredded cabbage. I also threw in some broccoli that needed to be used and some edamame for a bit more protein. It was AMAZING!!! And everyone loved it, didn’t even know it was largely spaghetti squash! Thanks so much for a great way to get more veggies into my picky kids:) Oh, and I made your Tuscan Pumpkin and Sage spaghetti sauce a couple weeks ago and my 10 year old ate two helpings of pasta…and she rarely eats more than two or three bites of pasta with regular marinara. It’s definitely my new go-to pasta sauce…even wondering how it might be on a pizza…