Eggplant & Goat Cheese Lasagna

When it comes to dinner each night, I don’t like to take too many risks. After all, it’s currently my only meal of the day… so I want it to be really good!

But, you never know if a new recipe will work until you try it, right?

Right.

And boy, am I glad I tried making this lasagna! It’s grain-free and properly combined, and, even though I’d probably like to tweak it just a bit more… Austin proclaimed it “really, really GOOD.”

Good enough to go back for second, and third, helpings.

And good enough to share it with you all!

Eggplant & Goat Cheese Lasagna
Makes an 8″x8″ pan

For the “Noodles

1 large eggplant
splash of balsamic vinegar

For the “Cauliflower Ricotta

1 head cauliflower, or about 4-5 cups of florets
2 eggs
1/2 cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt & pepper

For the Mushroom “Meat

1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
half of an onion, chopped
1 pound assorted mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt & pepper

For Assembling

Jar of your favorite marinara sauce (I used Seeds of Change Marinara)
Goat Mozzarella, shredded

Preheat your oven to 400F. Then, like traditional lasagna, we must first prepare all of the “layers.”

Let’s begin with the noodles:

Set aside to let marinate.

For the Cauliflower Ricotta:

Preparing the cauliflower ricotta is very similar to making cauliflower pizza dough!

Simply pulse the raw cauliflower florets in a food processor to make “rice.”

Then steam, strain, and SQUEEZE out the excess moisture.

Mix well, and set aside.

For the Mushroom “Meat:”

While the onions and garlic are cooking away, gently pulse the mushrooms in a food processor, until a “ground beef” like texture is achieved.

Now, it’s time to layer everything together!

Begin by adding a thin layer of marinara sauce to the bottom of your glass dish– this will prevent sticking.

Next, layer on the eggplant slices, followed by half of the cauliflower ricotta, followed by half of the mushroom meat, a drizzle of marinara sauce and a bit of shredded goat mozzarella.Β

Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes at 400F.

The finished lasagna should be firm, with a crispy layer of cheese on top!

Slice and serve hot!

4.67 from 3 votes
Eggplant & Goat Cheese Lasagna
Prep Time
25 mins
Cook Time
45 mins
Total Time
1 hrs 10 mins

A grain-free, vegetarian alternative to traditional lasagna!
Servings: 6 -8
Author: Detoxinista.com
For the "Noodles"
  • 1 large eggplant
  • splash of balsamic vinegar
For the "Cauliflower Ricotta"
  • 1 head cauliflower , or about 4-5 cups of florets
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • salt & pepper
For the Mushroom "Meat"
  • 1 teaspoon butter or coconut oil
  • 2 cloves garlic , minced
  • half of an onion , chopped
  • 1 pound assorted mushrooms
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • salt & pepper
For Assembling
  • Jar of your favorite marinara sauce (I used Seeds of Change Marinara)
  • Goat Mozzarella , shredded
  1. Preheat your oven to 400F. Then, like traditional lasagna, we must first prepare all of the "layers."
For the noodles:
  1. Using a mandolin, slice the eggplant lengthwise into thin strips. You may peel it first, if you like, but I took the easy route and left the skin on. Place the eggplant slices in a dish, and toss with a bit of balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice). Set aside to let marinate.
For the Cauliflower Ricotta:
  1. Pulse the raw cauliflower florets in a food processor to make "rice." Then steam, strain, and SQUEEZE out the excess moisture, leaving the cooked rice fairly dry.
  2. Transfer the strained cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl, and add in the two beaten eggs, goat cheese, oregano, and a dash of salt and pepper. Mix well, and set aside.
For the Mushroom "Meat" Layer:
  1. In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter or coconut oil, and saute the garlic and chopped onions for about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
  2. While the onions and garlic are cooking away, gently pulse the mushrooms in a food processor, until a "ground beef" like texture is achieved.
  3. Add the ground mushrooms to the sauteed onions and garlic, and season with ground cumin, salt and pepper. Saute until tender. The mushrooms will release some moisture, so be sure to strain well after cooking, and set aside.
To Assemble:
  1. Begin by adding a thin layer of marinara sauce to the bottom of your glass dish-- this will prevent sticking.
  2. Next, layer on the eggplant slices, followed by half of the cauliflower ricotta, followed by half of the mushroom meat, a drizzle of marinara sauce and a bit of shredded goat mozzarella.
  3. Repeat the layers, then top it all off with a final layer of eggplant slices, topped with more marinara and shredded goat mozzarella.
  4. Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes at 400F.
  5. The finished lasagna should be firm, with a crispy layer of cheese on top!
  6. Slice and serve hot!

Like I said, for making this recipe up as I went along, this lasagna turned out surprisingly well. I was afraid it might turn out too-watery, too-eggy, or too “healthy tasting,” but Austin assured me that he was quite content to eat the leftovers for dinner tonight! Always a good sign, since he’s not afraid to tell me when he doesn’t like a meal. Trust me on that one.

Of course, that doesn’t mean this recipe couldn’t be “tweaked” to be even better! Next time, I might add in some chopped sun-dried tomatoes, for even more tomato flavor (without adding excess moisture), or perhaps a layer of roasted red peppers for an extra punch of flavor. And, if Austin were a fan of goat cheese, I’d probably add some extra “blobs” of that, too! (As it is printed above, the soft goat cheese blends into the “ricotta” layer without a strong, “goat-y” flavor.)

Let me know if you all give it a try!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite comfort food? Mine’s Italian, all the way! πŸ˜€ Pizza, lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs… I think I’ve nearly detox-ified all my favorites! What should I make next??

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

46 thoughts on “Eggplant & Goat Cheese Lasagna

1. sophie

For the first time in a VERY VERY VERY long time I will be able to eat lasagne without stomach-upset. You.are.the.best. THANKS <3

2. Food Babe

I love seeds of change organic tomato sauce – Such a great substitute when tomatoes are out of season! This looks so comforting! The addition of cauliflower in the cheese topping is something I gotta try!

This was my first time trying that tomato sauce, and I loved it! Definitely give the cauliflower a shot– the texture it adds is awesome.

Make the cauliflower pizza crust ASAP. It’s amazing.

So are the banana coconut muffins– my house smells REALLY good right now. πŸ˜‰

It’s not on the site anymore– people were getting hit or miss results, so I took it down to rework it. There is a PERFECT version in my cookbook, though!

3. Sam

Thanks for the recipe:-)

How is your hubby doing with paleo? I love so much I eat 3 big meal and I mean big (2300-2700 cal a day)burning fat like crazy my muscles are getiing bigger with only 3-4 week workout. My skin is glowing, no craving at all so I am very happy. When I was doing like 1 or 2 days meal I was constant hungry craving sweet, think about what and how to combine and ate about 1000 cal. less but not loosing weight. With paleo I enjoy food never think about what how when only enjoy it and have to eat not to loosing too much weight.

Glad you’re enjoying the Paleo diet so much, Sam! Sounds like it’s working for you. πŸ™‚

Austin’s enjoying it, too, though sometimes it’s hard for me to get him to eat enough! He’s definitely still adjusting, since he relied so heavily on sandwiches and pastas for many of his meals. One thing that we’ve noticed among many of our Paleo friends this month, is that everyone’s skin is getting clearer! Definitely a good sign, I think.

1. sam

Yes with skin paleo does amazing job. My friend has cystic acne and have tried juice cleanse, candida cleanse etc. but nothing help, when she switch to paleo her skin has cleared within 3 weeks. I think it is because no sugar and also many fish like salmon have big amount of omega3(heal inflamation) grassfed meat has big amount too. Paleo explain how to make balance of omega3/6 limint nuts and seeds and consume only walnuts macadamia coconut for best balance. With this diet you do not spike insulin(that cause many inflamation too). I can send you pdf book for austin with many recipes if you want. Many ides for breakfast lunch dinner. It was hard for me too as a former 3years high raw vegan. Kelp noodles make great sub. for regural pasta. Does he like it?

4. LizAshlee

Italian for sure! Thank you so much for all these recipes!!! I don’t have much time in the kitchen right now because I just started a new job and I am living between two places but once I get settled, oh, I cannot wait to try all these…they are saved!!!

Happy Saturday!

Good luck with the new job– how exciting! I’m sure I’ll have plenty more recipes for you to try by the time you’re settled, too. πŸ˜‰

5. LizAshlee

Oh, I did get to make the banana coconut muffins last night..amazing!!! Used 3 dates+ hot water and applesauce as sub for maple syrup and used coconut flour plus almond, sweet brown rice bc I didn’t have quite a cup of coconut…they are SO good!!!! I am going to make extras and freeze them!!

6. KellyB

Hi
    Does the eggplant release moisture while it is marinating? I made an eggplant dish few years back and it was so watery have never felt like trying again. thanks

I was actually expecting them to release moisture when I marinated them, but they didn’t! Not sure if I just got lucky, though.

If you want to be on the safe-side, I’d actually recommend dry roasting the eggplant slices on parchment paper before layering the lasagna. Roast at 400F for 15 minutes, to reduce all the moisture and get a bread-like quality. (Like I do for the mini eggplant pizzas).

7. Paige

Mine is in the oven right now! I can’t wait! I am sooo thankful for your info! I made the mini eggplant pizzas the other day and loved every mouthful!

8. Jaime

I am so excited to make this!! I bought a small purple and a small white eggplant at the farmers market and wasn’t sure what to put them in. Then I thought hmmm maybe something with goat cheese! And last week I had been craving lasagna (I am a vegetarian so I haven’t had any in years)
    I also happen to have sundried tomatoes to toss in!!!

I love you site and I am sure this recipe will be delicious!!

Thanks for giving me all the wonderful food ideas.
    Ps, I made paleo pancakes yesterday. They turned out pretty flat but they were so tasty and my family loved them! No one could believe they were grain free!

9. Getsy

So day before yesterday I had this on the table for dinner….while a bit labor intensive…all I can say is yum. Having to fight hubbie for the leftovers as he wants to take them to work for lunch and is taking such big portions…he is a Texan so meat and potatoes are genetically hardwired but he is starting to enjoy my much healthier cooking style.

10. Rach

I’d really like to make that one since I was searching for a gluten free lasagna recipe for quite a long time (the gluten free pasta tastes like crap and isn’t that good for u either :P) but to add to my gluten allergy i am also allergic to cows, sheeps and goats milk, so what could i use instead of the goats cheese you’ve used, do you have any idea? xx

11. LB

This is a fantastic recipe! It was a little labour intensive (and I knew I would be disappointed if the taste didn’t turn out well) …but it smelled great in the oven, tasted EVEN better, and was worth the effort! And best of all – you’re getting a huge serving of vegetables in every single bite! I will definitely be making this again. Great recipe, Megan! Just wanted to let you know that you have become my new “go-to” healthy recipe blogger. I’ve tried a number of your recipes and have been impressed with all of them! Thanks for all your hard work!

The ingredients call for chevre, or soft goat cheese, and goat mozzarella, which is sold by the block. Both are available at Whole Foods, if you have one nearby.

12. Cori

I recently found your blog and am so excited! This recipe was amazing especially for someone who formerly loved dairy but gave it up while nursing. Iam thinking I will continue to eat this way when I am done. I don’t even feel guilty about a 2 nd helping since it is basically all veggies!

13. Amanda

Wondering how this is reheated? I need to make and bake now to use up mushrooms in the fridge but we won’t eat it until tomorrow night for dinner. I guess we’ll see πŸ™‚

14. Sonia

I just made this tonight and was fantastic, flavorful and filling! Really enjoying your site, thank you so much!!!

15. JR

I made this last night and was SO impressed. Definitely a lot of prep but worth it! My fiance did not care for it…wanted the “real” thing, but I thought it was great.

16. Anna

I made this and the Grain-free Pumpkin Bars tonight for a group of college friends coming over to escape the cafeteria food and they were a huge hit! I have a couple of different food intolerances so it’s really hard to cook a meal that everybody can enjoy. But these two recipes were absolutely delicious. Thanks for posting great recipes for those of us trying to balance eating clean and eating what we love!

17. Mara

I’m SO excited to try this. It’s in the oven now. Was a bit confused on the cheese. You showed in the pictures shredded goat cheese with the soft, but I don’t see the shredded mentioned in the recipe.

The shredded goat mozzarella is listed in the “assembly” ingredients and instructions. Hope you enjoy it!

18. Erika

Hi Megan…my son and husband can’t have eggs…can you suggest a substitute for this recipe? I’m going to make it next week!!

19. Brianna

I just made this tonight and thought it was delicious! Unfortunately my kids didn’t seem to care for it…oh well, more for me! Some things i did differently was I added some extra spices to the mushroom “meat” to make it taste more like sausage. Also I cooked it a little longer because the eggplant wasn’t cooked all the way. I probably could have sliced them thinner though.

20. Janice

My favorite comfort (and diet) food is Greek Briami. I add a greater variety of vegetables to it as well as lemon slices.

21. Pingback: Zucchini Lasagna | Lauren Majewski Fitness & Health

22. Pingback: Noodleless lasagna | creativlyerin

23. Cheally

would this be okay to freeze and reheat leftovers? I usually cook on the weekends because of our busy weekday schedule.

24. Lisen

Hi, is there another “healthy” cheese you would recommend, my 11 year old daughter absolutely hates Goats cheese…or do you think I can get away with it? Many thanks, LisenX

25. Christine

This was amazing. I did not have mushrooms so I added pesto to the cauliflower layer and feta because I didn’t have goat cheese. Trader Joes just started carrying frozen organic cauliflower already pulsed so really this came together in no time. Thank you – you are a genius I love your recipes!

26. Shari

I can’t find goat mozzarella where I live. Any other substitution ideas? Maybe just crumble goat cheese throughout and on top??