Creamy Almond Butter Freezer Fudge

Meet my latest obsession.

We all know how much I love my dark chocolate, but sometimes even my sweet tooth gets a little adventurous.

This creamy, almond butter-based fudge is raw, naturally sweetened with a touch of honey, and has an incredibly buttery flavor… without using a drop of actual butter. The secret? Coconut oil and sea salt! Please, don’t be tempted to omit these very important ingredients. The coconut oil is what makes this fudge hold together!

In fact, that maybe the only problem with this fudge… it won’t last long at room temperature. It’s one of those treats that melts in your mouth, and in your hand.

Not much of a problem for me, as it tends to go directly from the freezer to my mouth, but it may not be the type of fudge you want to bring to a potluck.

It’s really not the type of fudge you’ll want to share, period. It’s too good!

Creamy Almond Butter Freezer Fudge
makes about 20 1″ squares

1 cup raw creamy almond butter (unsalted)
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
1 1/2 Tablespoons raw honey*
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

*For a sugar-free option, just use a few drops of liquid stevia instead.

This recipe couldn’t be easier. Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, until smooth and creamy.

Tip: It helps if everything is at room temperature, to keep the coconut oil soft!

Transfer the mixture to a square baking dish, or container, lined with plastic wrap, then smooth with a spatula, and freeze until solid. (about an hour)

Remove the fudge by lifting the plastic wrap out of the pan, then cut into squares. (the weird edges make perfect taste-testing pieces!)

Return the fudge to a sealed container, and store in the freezer until ready to eat!

After tasting this, I think you’ll agree–> traditional fudge is so overrated.

Enjoy!

Creamy Almond Butter Freezer Fudge
Cook time:
Serves: 20

This creamy, almond butter-based fudge is raw, naturally sweetened with a touch of honey, and has an incredibly buttery flavor!
  • 1 cup raw creamy almond butter (unsalted)
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
  • 1½ Tablespoons raw honey
  • ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
  1. Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, until smooth and creamy. (note: It helps if everything is at room temperature, to keep the coconut oil soft!)
  2. Transfer the mixture to a square baking dish, lined with plastic wrap, then smooth with a spatula, and freeze until solid, about an hour.
  3. Remove the fudge by lifting the plastic wrap out of the pan, then cut into squares.
  4. Return the fudge squares to a sealed container, and store in the freezer until ready to eat!
Notes
Please, don't be tempted to reduce the amount of coconut oil in this recipe-- it's what makes this fudge hold together! Also, be sure to serve chilled, as the fudge will melt if left at room temperature for too long.

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite non-chocolate dessert?

Comments

1. says

Wow. Yum. I bet this is amazing! I made thin mint truffles last night and stuck them in the freezer…they were perfect-and the base was coconut oil and almond butter…a couple of my 2 favs!

Thanks for sharing another fab recipe!

2. says

Oooo I’ve made a semi-similar version of these with raw tahini! Spiced with cinnamon and topped with chopped pistachios, it turned out to be kind of a raw halvah :)

3. says

Sounds so good – I adore the kind of dessert that melts in your mouth, especially now we’re moving into warmer temperatures outside!

4. Jeanne says

Totally making this, yummy! I love that we are completely embracing our sweet teeth :) I just had lunch and needed a little something extra. I had a large trader joe dark chocolate bar in my drawer and I just ate half of it. It was totally decadent and delicious and completely allowed!

Before, I would have either denied the desire for something sweet and binged later, or ate the whole chocolate bar and then beat myself up mentally for having eaten it, and then probably eaten more just because I had eaten it. Today, I had half the bar, loved it, felt great and properly combined and moved on with my day.

The best part is I didn’t feel this compulsive need to eat the rest of the candy, or to keep eating searching for more sweet. I owe alot of this to you and your wonderful website, thank you!

• says

That makes me so happy! I had a similar event that I felt needed to be celebrated last night–> I only ate HALF of my dark chocolate bar, too! I totally wanted a pat on the back after that. LOL ;)

So glad that you’re embracing your sweet tooth, and finding a healthy balance!

5. Tanya says

I love your interesting recipes! I’ve made a few of your recipes before (now including this one, as it doesn’t take much time at all), and while they never look as pretty as yours – they always taste good! Great job, and keep them coming!:)

6. Kibby says

I had everything and it took minutes to make. OMG! How yum! I could see this being divine with some cacao powder blended in to make a chocolate almond fudge. Yes, making that tomorrow now that I mentioned it! I just made some almond pulp/ coconut/chocolate macaroons with orange extract – Holy Moly YUM! They’re in the dehydrator right now, but I could just sit and eat that raw dough. They are super easy to make and use up left over almond pulp from making almond milk. I got the basic recipe from Choosing Raw. I started playing around and made them chocolate with some great enhancements. Let me know if you want the recipe. Super easy and tasty! Thanks again for fudge recipe. Love your site!

7. says

Seriously you make the best things! I wish I lived close to you ;) And my favourite non chocolate dessert is grain free bars, they are much more filling than a larabar are some sort of bar like that!

8. Tanya says

I love your recipes so much! Thank you for helping me stay positive and creative in the kitchen through a rough and regimented year of Lyme treatment. Wish I could try this recipe but I overdid it on the almonds and recently developed an allergy… My favorite non-chocolate dessert right now is coconut cupcakes (sweetened with agave nectar). I’ve been experimenting with coconut flour lately – so yummy! Happy Spring!

• says

The coconut cupcakes sound delicious! I love coconut flour, too. :D

Since you can’t have almonds, I bet cashews would make a wonderful substitute in this fudge! I’ve also tried it with peanut butter, which yielded great results!

• Kimberly says

This recipe made with cashew butter is actually my all time favorite!! Love it! Thank you so much for all your recipe inspiration! A loyal Texas fan!

• says

The pan I used is an odd rectangle shape– just a plastic storage container from IKEA. I’m guessing it’s 5″ x 7″? You could probably double this recipe and fill an 8″ x 8″ pan easily. Hope that helps!

• Nicole says

I used a muffin pan, since all my other pans where being used. I rubbed a little coconut oil in the bottom of each portion and they came out like a charm!! Perfect portions!!!

9. laura hysjulien says

Made this tonight. I cannot stop eating it.
    I added some really good quality chocolate, chopped fine then added.
    This is better than I imagined, Soooo good, really does satisfy my sweet tooth if I can hopefully limit to one per day…..

10. Jen says

Oh my, these are out of this world. I made them last night and had to exercise self-control (even after a properly combined dinner). I added some 100% chopped chocolate and vanilla to the mixture. I tasted it before it went into the freezer and wasn’t too impressed…but after they sat in the freezer for an hour it was completely transformed! To me, it tasted like frozen chocolate chip cookie dough. Thanks for sharing!! You are a genius!!

11. Tracy says

Hey Megan, just wondering what brand almond butter you use. I have tried a couple of different brands, some good others not, with rough to smooth consistancies.

• says

I use Trader Joe’s brand most often– because it’s cheap– but, I don’t love the consistency. It’s rough, sometimes with a bit of shell even sneaking in! The smoothest raw almond butter I’ve tried is by the MaraNatha brand, but it’s nearly double the price… perhaps I should try making my own again! :)

12. Angelene says

Hi! You’re recipes look and sound amazing and I can’t wait to try each and every one of them!!! I am curious if you have a recipe book – where all of your fabulous concoctions are in one place? I would purchase said book! Thanks for so kingly sharing your goodies with us!!!

13. says

Just made this and tasted a bite before sticking it in the freezer. WOW! So amazing. Same thing goes for a the raw cheesecake. Can’t believe how much it tastes like cheesecake.

14. Kristina says

Just wanted to tell you how I much I love all of your recipes! Made this one tonight, and it was amazing! Your blog is my favorite. <3

15. Amanda says

Made this tonight for myself knowing that there was no way my husband would like it. I begged him to just take a bite, and he loved it!! I was amazed, he even asked for a whole piece and said that this is his favorite “healthy” dessert I make;) I also made the Raw Lemon Meltaways today and those are amazing!! I am in love with anything lemon, especially with this warm weather. Thanks for the wonderful recipes and I love your blog!

16. Cheryl says

Just made this, and it is INCREDIBLE…YUMM!!! I’m thinking next time I’ll try adding some dark chocolate chips and maybe some shredded or flaked coconut to give it some texture, but on its own it is out of this world!!!

17. Danielle says

Thanks so much. – This is awesome and so easy! I used one of the tips in the comments here and made it in mini muffin tins. The recipe is great since its also probably more socially acceptable than eating a big spoonful of almond butter for dessert ;)

18. Marlene says

Hi again, I saw the fudge recipe and just had to make it, who doesn’t love fudge, HELLO. Only had small amounts of nut butters(almond-peanut-sunflower-cashew)in each jar so I mixed it up to make a cup, also added the pulp from making my previous almond milk earlier. Did use agave instead of honey because of my diabetes and also added my own homemade vanilla into the mix. My only complaint is, it’s too small of a recipe :)JK, I will just have to double or triple the recipe for my whole family next time and try to not eat it all up by myself :). Be careful “girls”, there is alot of fat in nut butters, eat responsively ha :) ha

19. says

I just found your website through tastespotting and have been enjoying looking at all your healthy and delicious looking recipes! I have found several I want to try (including this one). Thanks!

20. Wendy says

I’m new to your website and can’t wait to try this. I will make it with my dear friend that is vegetarian (I’m not) but I’m passionate about eating healthy food. We are having fun trying new desserts and this will be a amazing one. I’ll give you my review later.

21. Wendy says

I discovered my almond butter was expired so I made them with peanut butter and they came out soooo good. Thank you.

22. Darcy says

I have a family member allergic to coconut. I hope to try these with butter. Then if it turns out, I hope to make chocolate fudge. The only kind my heart longs for.

23. Anna says

Fabulous. Drizzled with dark chocolate ribbons and sprinkled with pink sea salt. Amazingly decadent and so rich I did not, as I had feared I would, want to eat the entire pan at a sitting. Had two squares, said ‘Yum’, and went about my business.

Thank you!

24. Karen says

Love love love these! So scrummy :) I replaced the honey with about 15 drops of liquid stevia and it came out great.Thanks!

25. Kelly says

I love this fudge!!! I will get more excited about having this in the freezer than one of my dark chocolate bars!!
    I dont recommend using nonraw almond butter, as I tried that recently, and it wasnt nearly as good…stick to the raw almond butter.
    Thanks for your recipes Megan!:)

26. Shirley says

I was so anxious to try this but didn’t have raw honey on had. Being a French Canadian and loving all things maple, (and I’m an impatient treat-a-holic), I decided to substitute it with maple butter since they both have a similar texture. OMG, it was absolutely awesome!!! I’m glad the holidays are coming up and I’ll have time to make more. I don’t care that they are “out of the freezer” treats and it being winter. Being in LA is like summer every day of the year! YUMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

27. maria says

Omg!! I made this today because i honestly needed a sweet treat.. It was really great!! I will be making more combinations. Ty for this wonderful recipe.

28. Mellie says

Great Blog!

Could I use roasted almond butter instead of raw almond butter and substitute coconut nectar for the honey?

I am unsure if raw almond butter has a superior taste than roasted.

Thanks!

• says

I don’t care for the taste of roasted almond butter in this fudge– I think the raw almond butter is more sweet and mild in flavor. I’ve never tried coconut nectar, so I’m not sure how it compares in sweetness to honey. Luckily, since this is a raw recipe, you can taste the batter before you freeze! I’m sure it will be delicious. :)

29. Melissa says

Hi Megan,

This looks amazing! I’m allergic to nuts, seeds and coconut are fine, however I can’t have almonds or any other nuts. Do you have an alternative I could use?

30. marcy says

I really loved this recipe but it was way too salty for my taste. I had to double the recipe to make the salt tolerable. I do love salt and add it to everything, however in my opinion this recipe could use half the amount.
    Thanks. I added raw cacao nibs, yummmm.

31. Natallia says

These were perfect! I didn’t have raw almond butter, but used organic from Trader Joe’s – they came out amazing! Recently discovered your blog and absolutely love it!! Thanks for sharing all the great recipes!

32. mimi says

fabulous! i used my raw almonds and pulverized in the vitamix then added the other ingredients including honey and some cocoa nibs. a hit in my household! this recipe is a keeper. i may try this basic one and add some cocoa powder next time and see what happens. thanks!

33. says

I was pretty devastated when I realized I needed to do a cleanse and be off sugar for two months. Even though I have been doing a good job, you have boosted my morale! Thanks so much!

34. Jeanine says

I have been sugar free almost a year and am now addicted to this fudge!! I replace the honey with rice malt syrup. I love knowing I have a stash in the freezer…….thank you.

35. Rachel says

This is the best dessert I have ever tasted. I use Stevia in place of honey and I also add alcohol-free vanilla. Then I put cinnamon and whole almonds on the top. I love this recipe! Thanks, Rachel

36. Felisha Brower says

TO DIE FOR! Wow. It is so so smooth…it’s silky. Everyone has loved it who has tried it. Perfection. Did you just make this up? Brilliant. Keep the recipes comin’, Megan! I want to try them all!

37. says

Ok, I hardly ever post comments, but this recipe was a gigantic hit for me this weekend! It’s the easiest possible recipe and people love them! It’s also the most requested recipe I have ever come across. They say that M&Ms make friends, but I have never made friends that way. Creamy Almond Butter Freezer Fudge–now that makes friends! Seriously…I have at least three new fb friends (and I think my old friends might like me more now) as a result, but I am going to pretend that would have happened anyway. ;)

38. says

WOW! Someone linked your Peanut Butter and Banana ice cream on Facebook and I couldn’t help but browse around. This recipe is great and I whipped it up during the finale of the bachelor tonight. Sooo good! I shouldn’t have made it though – I keep getting up to get another piece!

Great recipe, thank you for sharing!

39. ELIZABETH says

WOW!!!! Now I can’t wait to get home and try this. As a full time working & mother to an 8mo its so hard to find the time to cook, but these recipes are amazing AND healthy so thank you

40. says

WOW! This is amazingly delicious and sooooo addictive. I omitted sugar/sweetener completely and added some cinnamon instead. YUM!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this! :)

• Megan says

It will change the flavor, so you may need to adjust the rest of the ingredients, but I’m sure a hazelnut fudge would be tasty, too!

41. anastasia says

i was a huuuuuge fan of fudge before i turn vegan, so i was rather skeptical when reading this recipe. nothing can be better than traditional fudge! i thought to myself… but.. yes, but!.. i have just tried this recipe and it DID taste amazing!! such a simple recipe , its unbelievable!.. it is a dangerous recipe i must say… as u can not stop eating it :)))

42. deja says

I added some extra salt, a few shakes of cinnamon, probably about 1/4 cup of cocoa, and a capful of vanilla. And about 15 drops of Now Better Stevia. Turned out great. The salt rounds it out. And no sugar!

43. Melissa says

Tried these a week ago and my 10 year old daughter and I are ADDICTED! We added a bit more salt and honey and put the mixture into candy molds. Pops right out of the molds into our mouths wayyyyy too easily! Loved seeing the others’ ideas, especially the one using maple butter.

44. J says

This is SOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!!!!! I’m on a detox right now and this has been my sweet fix….I’m addicted!!!! I added some dark chocolate shavings in….yummmm

45. Jennifer says

I just made these, they are freezing now! Licking the bowl was fantastic, can’t wait to eat the actual fudge!

46. Kasette says

This recipe looks so amazing and I cannot wait to try it!! I have a question though. I did not know there was salted and unsalted almond butters. Where would that be displayed on the jar? I thought it was just almond butter or… Not almond butter… I guess I was wrong.. 5 stars for geniusness!!

47. Linda says

This recipe is awesome!!!! This is the first recipe of yours that I tried and I will be trying many more. I am so happy that my daughter sent me your website because most of the ingredients you use in your recipes I can have. I am an oncology patient and I am not allowed any sugar or white flour. Thank you so much for this recipe and many others that you have posted.

48. AmyTyler says

I love mint chocolate and orange chocolate so I add organic 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder and a few drops of orange oil/peppermint oil to these. They are amazing!!!!

49. Amber says

OMG! Made som,e almond butter per your instructions on another post and then made this raw fudge. Soooo good. In fact, I love it before it was frozen and would make a great spread. Thanks so much!

50. says

I’m totally nuts for this fudge! I’ll be making it once a week. I just had to start doing an anti-Candida diet and can’t have any sweeteners, but it’s soooo good even without the honey or the stevia and a little less salt than your recipe calls for. Loved it, thank you!! New fan here! :) :)

OH, and my husband uses roasted, all-natural peanut butter in his personal batches and then sprinkles cocoa powder on top. :)

51. Bronwyn says

i wish i could give this 1000 stars!! when i first read the recipe i thought “ok…what’s so special about that?” but i gave it a try and I AM SO GLAD I DID. this is seriously one of the most amazing things i’ve ever tasted. the sea salt in this recipe is what does it for me. creamy, lightly sweet, salty, a touch coconut-y. holy moly i’m in heaven.

• Megan says

I’ve never tried that, so I can’t say for sure. I’d assume it would work, but the only way to know is to try it out! Please let us know if it works for you.

52. Georgiana says

I was thinking about adding coconut and cocoa to this recipe. sounds delish! You use the same coconut oil as I do:)

53. Monika says

I just discovered your website 2 days ago and have found a ton of new recipes I can’t wait to try. I just made this almond butter fudge today and it is amazing! I love almond butter and this is exactly the type of sweet treat I crave. I can’t wait to start trying some of your other recipes.

54. Grace says

These have become my go-to for a sweet treat to have on hand. They are so easy to make and they last forever (if you can limit yourself to 1/day!). I make my own almond butter, thanks to your instructions, and I sub xylitol for the honey.
    I made the vanilla cupcakes for my son’s birthday and he loved them so much I had to make more the next day!
    Thanks so much for all your great recipes and ideas! I have been gluten-free since April and this website has helped me so much.

55. mini says

Hi megan

I just found your website accidently. Liked your recipes especially gluten free. But there is a small hitch I stay in India and some of the ingredients mentioned in your recipes are not available. Since my husband is suffering from celiac disease I keep searching for some new recipes. I will be grateful if you could suggets some recipes using indiaan ingredients

56. Cassi says

Trying this for the first time tonight. Not sure how you got 20 pieces out of it. I just put mine in the freezer so I obviously haven’t cut it up yet but it looks like it *might* make 10. And mine are a lot thinner than whats shown in your photos here! :-/

57. Shaina says

This is the third recipe I’ve made from your website and I am completely in love with all of them! This freezer fudge was the best yet and I can’t seem to quit eating it! Your recipes are so simple yet delicious, and I am very happy that I ran across your site a few weeks ago. Thank you!

58. Camile says

Used the Vita-Mix to make almond butter (3 cups almonds 1/4 cup coconut oil) and plunge continuously until smooth (took less than 2 min). Then I added the other ingredients in. This fudge was super easy and tasty! Thanks

59. Jane says

I’m a chocolate nut, so I added 3 heaping tsps. of Raw Cacao Powder, but otherwise left the recipe as posted originally. YUMMY! Thanks so much for a new favorite treat!

60. Jacqui says

I love this recipe! It has been my go to snack since the summer, so simple and tasty. I have been vegan for a decade, whole foods/slow food enthusiast for the past several years, and now your blog has inspired me to explore more alternative healthy ingredients. Thank you!

61. Diana says

Wow, just found this. I’ve been doing something similar for a couple years. Using up all my 5 gallon buckets of coconut oil! LOL.

Anyway, I like to put the coconut oil in a pan with the almond butter (I use about 50/50 of each) and get it soft enough to mix together – not any warmer.

Then I add nuts (lots of walnuts) and vanilla and black strap molasses. I call it my chocolate as I used to use raw cocoa in it, but found that I don’t really need the cocoa to get satisfied.

Sometimes I put a ton of spinach in my food processor and add that too!

Anyhow, I think because I don’t heat the butter and oil much, they separate in the refrigerator. That gives me something chewy and gooey and sweet! Loving it.

Going to try your recipe.

62. JP says

we just made this with powder stevia and it was one of the best healthy sugar free desserts we’ve ever had. Thanks so much for posting

63. Lea Holz says

I’ve been following your blog for a few months now and I’ve tried several of your delicious recipes. This one is my favorite! Thanks again and keep it up! I love your blog. :-)

64. says

I dined again at Detoxinista cafe tonight. Actually it’s becoming an every day thing now. My fridge and my pantry have never looked this amazing. I look at grocery stores much differently now….oh, yeah, the freezer fudge is top notch. Cheers.

65. says

Thank you for another AMAZING recipe! As with many comments here, I’ve had to exercise self control not to eat THE WHOLE BATCH. I shall try some of the suggested combinations, such as chopped chocolate and vanilla.

66. Tyler says

These were so good – I adapted for the anti-candida diet. They actually were too good…. My husband and I devoured about four batches before we realised we had an addiction and had to stop! The result of four batches over three weeks didn’t look good on the scales, either :(

67. Hannah says

Just FYI I tried this with tahini for an ethnic twist and failed! It was too runny to be cut even with omitting the oil. So I tried to salvage into cookies by adding some coconut flour and flakes and raisins and baked. Should have added eggs; they fall apart too easily.

68. Darcy says

I really liked them and had froze them but decided to thaw them and keep as a butter in a jar we all love it :) my sister asked if I could make her a jar too!

69. Amber says

This was too rich for me. I guess that is the same reason why I don’t like chocolate fudge. I also found little pieces of coconut oil that didn’t seem to mix well enough and you can see the white spots in the fudge. If my hubby doesn’t like it, then I won’t make it again because I didn’t care for it.

70. Verushka says

I was wondering, could I subsitute the almond butter for macadamia butter?? They had it on sale for a really good price, and I have all the other ingredients…

71. Angie says

OMG!! These are so good!! Made them late last night and couldn’t resist eating a piece at breakfast! So easy to make! Thanks for the amazing recipes!

72. Angie says

Oh, I added in some coarsely chopped dark chocolate too, both almonds and dark choc are my fav and they made a fantastic combination in this recipe!

73. Matty says

For those who aren’t concerned about raw food items, this works well with butter in place of the coconut oil. It would likely work with shortening as well. Any fat that is semisolid at room temperature should work. We used natural peanut butter and it turned out great. It could possibly use a little more sweetening though (when you change the recipe around as we did). Still, for something that took about 5 minutes to put together with an adjustable measure and a butter knife, I’ve got no complaints :)

74. Beth S. says

This is easy, quick and oh so GOOD! My sister is a huge fan of peanut butter fudge made with marshmallow whip. She loved this healthier fudge just as much and I loved it, too!

75. stacy hancock says

my son can’t have cocoa but he can have cocoa butter- i’m thinking about trying a little bit in this to give it that chocolate taste he hasn’t been able to have in a while. thanks for the recipe!

76. michael says

This may be a silly question, however I was wondering if you have to seal the container initially in the freezer for the first hour, or just after you’ve cut them?

77. Erin says

I am obsessed with all these delicious and healthy dessert creations! I couldn’t decide between some of my favorites, so I’ve started combining this freezer almond butter fudge with the healthy klondike bar recipe, in little cupcake tins so they’re cute and easy to eat… not that I ever eat just one! Thank you so so much for all these great ideas! I’m on this site on a daily basis! My husband told me to stop referring to you as if I know you- you’re somewhat of a celebrity in my kitchen!

78. William says

I never get tired of this excellent recipe! Try sprinkling some cacao nibs on top before freezing for an amazing treat.

Trackbacks

1. […] there are plenty of healthy alternatives to almost all sin foods. Megan, the chef behind Detoxinista, and Angela from Oh She Glows offer a ton of healthy recipes that will blow your mind, surprise […]

2. […] I am a die-hard almond butter convert. However, I started researching the most common butters to use, and I was shocked to find that sunflower seed butter seems to be the best option! The only hang-up is that sunflower seed butter tastes like… sunflower seeds. For this reason, I choose almond butter for my go-to butter. I love to slather almond butter on apples, dates, toasted whole grain Ezkiel bread, or use it to make my favorite fudge with coconut oil! […]