Sweet Potato Chips: Two Ways

I’ve got a tasty snack to share with you today.

Homemade sweet potato chips! Oil-free, easy to prepare, and totally detox-friendly, these chips are perfect for satisfying your crunchy, salty cravings.

The key to making authentic, crunchy chips is using a good mandolin to get uniform, paper-thin slices. It makes the prep-time fly by, too!

I’ve tried using a knife, and even a salad shooter, to create homemade chips in the past, but nothing beats using the mandolin! Just be sure to watch your fingers, and to use the guard… I don’t want anyone losing a finger for the sake of a few chips, okay?Β

Since I had a rather large sweet potato to use up, I tried preparing these chips two different ways: baked and dehydrated.

Pick whichever method works best for you!

Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
Yield varies, based on potato size

Large sweet potato, washed and scrubbed
Fine sea salt, as needed
Dried onion powder, smoked paprika, or seasonings of choice

Oven Method:

Preheat your oven to 400F. Arrange the potato slices, in a single layer, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, along with any other seasonings you like.

I used a combination of Himalayan pink salt and dried onion powder, for a “Sour Cream & Onion” flavor.

Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes.

Watch your chips closely–> they can burn quickly if you’re not careful!

Trust me on that one.

Which brings me to the dehydrator method… you absolutely can’t burn them this way! But, you’ll have to be a little more patient.

Dehydrator method:

Arrange the potato slices into a single layer on your dehydrator trays. Sprinkle with salt and spices of choice (you could use smoked paprika for a BBQ flavor!), then place the trays in the dehydrator to dry.

Because I’m impatient, I crank the temperature up to 155F (the highest it will go) and let the chips dry for 1-2 hours.

After two hours, they were perfectly crispy!

This crunchy, satisfying snack should digest seamlessly–> definitely easier than a handful of dense nuts or dried fruit! I hope you enjoy them the next time a snack craving hits, or alongside a properly combined starch-based meal.

Happy snacking!

4.8 from 5 votes
Oil-free and easy to prepare, these chips are perfect for satisfying your crunchy, salty cravings.
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • Large sweet potato , washed and scrubbed
  • Fine sea salt , as needed
  • Dried onion powder , smoked paprika, or seasonings of choice
  1. If using the oven, preheat it to 400F.
  2. Using a mandolin, slice the potato into very thin slices. No need to peel the potato first, unless you really want to!
  3. Arrange the potato slices, in a single layer, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  4. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, along with any other seasonings you like. (I used a combination of Himalayan pink salt and dried onion powder, for a "Sour Cream & Onion" flavor.)
  5. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes.
  6. After 10 minutes, the edges should start to crisp. Flip each chip over, and return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes, or until desired crispness is reached.
  7. *If using a dehydrator, arrange the slices into a single layer on the mesh trays, and dry at 155F for 2 hours, or until desired crispness is reached.
Recipe Notes
Watch your chips closely-- they can burn quickly if you're not careful!

Reader Feedback: What kind of snacks do you crave? Do you have a favorite chip flavor? I always loved the extra-greasy, paper-thin potato chips… the saltier, the better. πŸ˜€

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

39 thoughts on “Sweet Potato Chips: Two Ways

1. Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat

Yum!! You just reminded me that I haven’t made these in far far too long, and I have a perfectly good mandolin AND 3-blade spiralizer sitting in my kitchen for the job! I’ll be doing the oven baked method, and I’m thinking salt and vinegar will be my flavour. your chips look so perfect! Mine always get burn marks but that doesn’t normally stop me from gobbling them all up! πŸ™‚

2. LizAshlee

I am a cheesy girl πŸ™‚ so I would take any cheese flavor..or just a bit of salt..so these sound perfect! So simple too…I definitely need to get a mandolin!

3. Christine

You had me at “oil free”! πŸ™‚ I can’t wait to try these!! Off to add a Mandoline slicer to my Amazon cart… πŸ˜‰

I’ve always loved salt & vinegar chips! Kettle cooked are my fav.

4. Lisa

I need to get a mandolin!! These look super tasty and so easy. I’m more of a plain girl when it comes to savoury things, I love just plain chips with a touch of sea salt! For snacks I definitely prefer sweet though!

5. Sonnet

These look so amazing (and addictively good)! I just stumbled upon your blog and love it! I can’t wait to check out more of your recipes! πŸ™‚

To keep it raw, you’ll have to keep the temperature at 118F or below. I imagine it would take 6-8 hours for them to get crispy, maybe even longer… which is why I’m too impatient to do it. πŸ˜‰

Let me know if you have any luck!

6. sharon

wow, these chips look soo yummy and love that they’re without the grease! just curious as to where you got your mandoline…have been meaning to get one but don’t know which one is the “best”

7. Molli

Just wondering how you got the salt and spices to stick to the chips, mine just ended up in the bottom of the bowl.

The slices were moist after cutting, so the spices stuck because of the moisture. If your slices aren’t as moist, you could spray them with water to help!

8. Claudine

Made some of these this morning, except I used oil as I think it is necessary for the absorption of the vitamin A in the sweet potatoes. Vitamin A (as well as vitamins D, E, and K) is fat soluble. Of course if you’re having other healthy fats with this then oil-free is great. Yummy!!

9. Christy

So yummy! Just made a batch from the dehydrator. I used the 160′ method as I’m also impatient and this my first set of chips I’ve made this way. Thank you! Great pictures too :=)

10. Suzanne

Did you blanch the potato’s when you dehydrated them. Lots of websites say to do this but when I do it takes like 20 hrs for them to get chip like . Thanks for any help

11. Pingback: Day 2 of 30 | Sipping On Sunsets

12. Pingback: Inundated with Plums | Guesthollow's Blog

13. Carol

I too am wondering about blanching. I read they were to be blanched 8 minutes before baking to kill anything in the raw food and make them keep better. Bit doesn’t that kill good bacteria and nutrients as well? Which is better for you? How long do they keep each way? Do they have to dehydrate longer if blanched?

Thank you for the great recipe and for answering my questions.Β

14. Kristi

We tried these both in the oven and dehydrator! I’m pleased with the dehydrator – they were better on day 2 (and easier to manage over watching the oven so closely) I WILL say we added just a hint of melted coconut oil – tossed ours (well really smeared with my hands) and some cajun seasoning and they are quite AWESOME πŸ™‚

15. Pingback: Cook's Apothecary

16. Holly

Hi,
    I made these using beets instead…after 2 hrs in the dehydrator, they were still chewy and not crispy at all. I haven’t had any success with my dehydrator and root chips yet. I really want crispy chips. Do beets take longer? I will try the sweet potatoes next time. Any tips?

17. Pingback: How to Dehydrate Sweet Potatoes (with Pictures) | iHowTo – Show you how to do it

18. Laurie

Do you need to soak or blanch before you dehydrate them? The way you do them, are they as crunchy as the chips on the market? Do the snap when you break them in half?

They do get very crispy and snap in half, but they don’t have the greasy, buttery texture that fried chips have.

19. Kisha marikit

How long is baked sweet potato can last?or is it only good for a several minutes? Can it last for a month? If so,Do i have to put it in the refrigerator? Would it loose it’s crispiness if i do that? Please i need a response quick.

20. Binta

I recently made sweet potato chips with my Dehydrator ,but they came out tasting starchy even after seasoning them.How do I take out the starchiness? Is it advisable to blanch them before putting in the dehydrator ?

21. Mom of 6

I was sooo excited to make these last night only to find that they tasted like dried starchy sweet potatoes.😩 So after wasting tao sweet potatoes, I sliced another one, coated it with a little bit of organic coconut oil, and this batch turned out a lot better!😏 I ‘m going to see if I can rehydrate the first batch, and selvage those, as I don’t like to waste food.

22. Rebecca Prescott

Thank you for these ideas. I mixed coconut oil with powdered pink salt and a hnt of ceyanne pepper and brushed both sides before putting them in my dehydrater..They been in there for the last 15 hrs. But Im willing to wait as long as it takes…There is nofan on my hydrater. I have mmandelin that only cuts one size….I think its a 16th of an inch. You didnt say how thin the slices shoud be so Im wondering if I cut them too thick, Thank you for responding to our questions. Imblooking forward to making this a habit. I eat one every time I check it just because it tastes so good…done or not!…..oh yes, I put them on parchment paper in order for easy clean up. They are still drying so Im wondering what you think….will the parchment paper keep them from drying?