I’ve got a tasty snack to share with you today.
Homemade sweet potato chips! Oil-free, easy to prepare, and totally detox-friendly, these chips are perfect for satisfying your crunchy, salty cravings.
The key to making authentic, crunchy chips is using a good mandolin to get uniform, paper-thin slices. It makes the prep-time fly by, too!
I’ve tried using a knife, and even a salad shooter, to create homemade chips in the past, but nothing beats using the mandolin! Just be sure to watch your fingers, and to use the guard… I don’t want anyone losing a finger for the sake of a few chips, okay?
Since I had a rather large sweet potato to use up, I tried preparing these chips two different ways: baked and dehydrated.
Pick whichever method works best for you!
Homemade Sweet Potato Chips
Yield varies, based on potato size
Large sweet potato, washed and scrubbed
Fine sea salt, as needed
Dried onion powder, smoked paprika, or seasonings of choice
Using a mandolin, slice the potato into very thin slices. No need to peel the potato first, unless you really want to!
Preheat your oven to 400F. Arrange the potato slices, in a single layer, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, along with any other seasonings you like.
Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes.
Watch your chips closely–> they can burn quickly if you’re not careful!
Which brings me to the dehydrator method… you absolutely can’t burn them this way! But, you’ll have to be a little more patient.
Arrange the potato slices into a single layer on your dehydrator trays. Sprinkle with salt and spices of choice (you could use smoked paprika for a BBQ flavor!), then place the trays in the dehydrator to dry.
Because I’m impatient, I crank the temperature up to 155F (the highest it will go) and let the chips dry for 1-2 hours.
This crunchy, satisfying snack should digest seamlessly–> definitely easier than a handful of dense nuts or dried fruit! I hope you enjoy them the next time a snack craving hits, or alongside a properly combined starch-based meal.
Oil-free and easy to prepare, these chips are perfect for satisfying your crunchy, salty cravings.
- 1 Large sweet potato , washed and scrubbed
- Fine sea salt , as needed
- Dried onion powder , smoked paprika, or seasonings of choice
- If using the oven, preheat it to 400F.
- Using a mandolin, slice the potato into very thin slices. No need to peel the potato first, unless you really want to!
- Arrange the potato slices, in a single layer, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the tops with sea salt, along with any other seasonings you like. (I used a combination of Himalayan pink salt and dried onion powder, for a "Sour Cream & Onion" flavor.)
- Bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, the edges should start to crisp. Flip each chip over, and return to the oven for another 2-3 minutes, or until desired crispness is reached.
- *If using a dehydrator, arrange the slices into a single layer on the mesh trays, and dry at 155F for 2 hours, or until desired crispness is reached.
Watch your chips closely-- they can burn quickly if you're not careful!
Per Serving: Calories: 55, Fat: 0g, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 1g
Reader Feedback: What kind of snacks do you crave? Do you have a favorite chip flavor? I always loved the extra-greasy, paper-thin potato chips… the saltier, the better. 😀