Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake

When it comes to making milkshakes and smoothies, I’m not usually one to follow a recipe. I typically just toss-in ingredients as I go and hope for the best.

However, sometimes a shake turns out so well, it simply demands to be written down so that I can re-create it again and again, with the same spectacular results each time.

This is one of those milkshakes.

Made of frozen bananas, natural peanut butter, and cocoa powder, this rich, creamy treat is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth–> without the sluggish after-effects from a traditional ice cream shake.

As always, feel free to substitute your favorite nut butter for the peanut butter, or omit the cocoa for caffeine-free dessert.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake (vegan)
makes 24 oz (about 2 servings)

2 frozen bananas
3/4 cup almond milk (homemade or store-bought)
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
pinch of sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 ice cubes (about 2 handfuls)

Throw all the ingredients into a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.

Results will definitely be best if you use a Vitamix, which breaks down ice effortlessly, but a traditional blender should also work– though, you may need to add a bit more almond milk to facilitate blending.

Pour into two glasses and serve immediately!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake
Serves: 1-2

Made of frozen bananas, natural peanut butter, cocoa and a splash of pure maple syrup, this rich, creamy treat is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth, without the sluggish after-effects of a traditional milkshake.
  • 2 frozen bananas
  • ¾ cup almond milk (homemade or store-bought)
  • 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (optional)
  • 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • ¼ cup natural peanut butter
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 7 ice cubes (about 2 handfuls)
  1. Throw all of the ingredients into a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. (I like to freeze my bananas whole, for easy measuring, then I break them in half when adding them to the blender.)
  2. Pour into two glasses and serve immediately!
Notes
For best results, use a high-speed blender like the Vitamix, which breaks down ice effortlessly. A traditional blender should also work-- though, you may need to add a bit more almond milk to facilitate blending.

Happy sipping!

Reader Feedback: Do you ever follow recipes for smoothies or shakes? What’s your favorite flavor combo?

Comments

1. says

Yummm! I’m like you – I rarely follow recipes for smoothies, except when I’m making one for the blog, in which case I try really hard to remember to measure things! You’ve just triggered a hard core craving for nut butter! ;)

2. jeanne says

Yummy, what a great dessert!!! Are you sure you got the servings right… Looks like one delicious serving to me ;)

3. says

this looks so good! i usually just throw whatever in there for my smoothies! my current favorite: banana, pineapple, ice, orange juice, and a ton of spinach (like 2 cups!) sooo fresh and deliciously green!

4. says

For smoothies, I don’t usually follow a recipe. Just use whatever I’m craving, but this looks absolutely delicious. I am so happy I splurged on the vitamix! I love it

5. Caroline says

mmmm… this looks so delicious!
    I made a banana smoothie with greek yogurt about an hour ago!
    Definitely making this tomorrow though!

6. becky says

Looks sooo yummy~ but how do you offset all of the carbs? We are trying to watch our intake of sugars~ ohhh it is sooo hard! :)

• Christina says

Try vanilla stevia and omit the maple syrup. NuNaturals is the brand I use. By far the best flavor. Made this smoothie throughout my pregnancy but never thought of the peanut butter. Missed out!!

7. jessica says

LOVE this so much, in fact if you want it to be EVEN healthier I make it with just frozen bananas, PB & almond milk-don’t need maple syrup or the cocoa

8. Cristina says

This is SO delicious. I made it last night and I couldn’t believe how YUMMY it was. Thank you for posting this!

9. Michelle says

Ummmm…. You did it again!!! Unreal!!! I didn’t have ice cubes so used frozen strawberries.
    Amazing!! Thank you!!!!
    -Michelle

10. Vicki says

I stumbled upon your site tonight and decided to try this recipe. Everyone loved it! Thanks so much for the great recipes.

11. says

What brand of natural peanut butter do you buy and do you keep in it in the fridge. Yours looks so creamy. Mine is so thick from keeping in the fridge I struggle to measure or spread it easily. I love the flavor but can only really use it on warm Ezekiel bread the best. Always looking for other brands to try.

• says

The one pictured above is the organic brand from Whole Foods– it was freshly opened and stirred, which is why is looks so creamy. I do keep my peanut butter in the fridge, so it does get thick, but I think that actually helps the texture of the milkshake!

When I’m making it on a regular basis, I’ll just use a normal spoon to measure (rather than a measuring cup), since it doesn’t have to be “exact” to turn out delicious! Hope you enjoy it!

12. Sarah Gillis says

I just made this and it was delicious! I ran out of cocoa powder so I borrowed some of my husband’s chocolate protein powder and it was amazing! Thanks so much for sharing – I’m out to buy some ingredients to try some of your other recipes :)

13. Karen L K says

I finally made this and is very good!! My blender struggled with the ice a bit but I just kept turning it off and shaking it or stirred it.

14. pat says

i use a vitmix to blend ice milk shakess but have a hard time with it pushing everything above blades and having to stop and shake. how and what speeds do you recommend blending milk sahkes with ice?

• says

I always start my shakes on the “low” setting– and use my tamper to keep everything moving. You can always add a bit of extra liquid, if needed, too!

15. Jennifer says

Hi,
    I have an allergy to bananas. Can you think of any replacements that would still give it the right texture and good flavor? I see one reader used squash. Maybe avocado would work, like your chococado recipe. :) thanks!

16. Julie says

I’ve been craving a shake for weeks, finally Googled it and your site popped up. This is my first time on your site. I just made and had some of the Chocolate PB shake and it filled my craving. I’d probably ditch the PB next time and increase the syrup or add some dates soaked in coconut water for a bit more sweetness.

Had a slight brain freeze :o) but it was worth it. Now on to make your Mac and cheese with broccoli and mushrooms.

17. Amanda says

YUUUUUMMMMM.
    I make this using organic soy and i leave out the salt and serve it to my husband and I after working out. With the potasaium and protein it’s a great muscle rejuvenation and snack!!

18. Kayla says

This milkshake is seriously amazing. I am trying to go sugar free (fruit OK)and I have been craving a chocolate milkshake. I made this without the maple syrup and with unsweetened coco powder. It was a single serving, so I used 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter and 1 tablespoon powdered peanut butter (bell plantation). To die for! I cannot believe I can have something that tastes this delicious on a sugar free diet! Thank you for posting!

19. Abbie says

I make the same thing, but use a few dates for sweetness; I like it sith a little nutmeg in it, too. It’s a fave post-workout treat here!

20. Michael says

Dec. 2012 – just made this, and it came out nice and smooth, with the right balance of chocolate and peanut butter. It was pretty darn close to the heavenly version I remember getting at the few places in NY City that offer a vegan chocolate peanut butter shake.

I used some chocolate soy milk I already had open, rather than almond milk, and backed off the cocoa powder just a bit, since my milk was already chocolate flavored. I used an ordinary blender, and the ice rattled around a bit, but was eventually all broken up smoothly into the shake. I only had crunchy organic peanut butter around, but had no nut bits at all – nice and smooth. I let my bananas thaw a bit first, and blended the ice in last.

I selected this over other recipes on the net, some of which called for dates, and am very pleased with it. Thanks for sharing this. I am curious as to what difference the one tsp of vanilla makes, and may try this without it sometime.

• says

Glad you enjoyed it, Michael! I added the vanilla extract hoping it would mimic the flavor of vanilla ice cream, which I love in my milkshakes. I’m sure it will taste delicious without it, too!

21. Tatiana says

I just made this and it was delicious! This will be my go to guilt-free milkshake for those days I can’t help but give in to my cravings. Thank you.

22. Justine says

Hi there

This looks delicious, as do all your recipes, but I am a little confused in relation to food combining – my understanding is that fruit should never be combined? Are bananas an exception? Or is it dependent on you? I am new to food combinig as its my last resort to deal with stomach bloating.
    Thanks
    Justine

23. Laura says

I’ve been making a version of this smoothie for a while now, definitely one of my favorites. I also add ground flaxseed for the omega-3 fatty acids and lignans, the extra fiber doesn’t hurt either. :)

24. says

Wow! This looks fantastic! I’ve made something similar adding vanilla egg white protein or whey protein. I hadn’t used almond milk though. I plan to try it. Readers could replace the maple syrup with several drops of clear stevia liquid, added to taste. I love adding cinnamon or pie spice to banana smoothies!

You do a fantastic job of showcasing so many fabulous fruity and healthy recipes. I love your site!

Chef Rachel

• says

I have heard that milk does cancel-out the benefits in coffee, so I imagine that it may have some effect on the benefits of cocoa as well. However, there are no conclusive studies that prove this theory either way at the moment.

Luckily, all of my recipes are milk-free, so that’s not an issue for us!

25. Elissa B says

Just made this to test out my brand-new Vitamix. It tastes great… a dessert without the guilt! Thanks for posting!

26. Anneli says

Oh my word! Just tried this recipe this morning and it is delicious! New favourite combination. I usually don’t follow recipes but had to try this one. Glad I did! Thanks for sharing :)

27. Michelle says

For those of you who don’t own a Vita Mixer, I have a Waring Pro blender that is much stronger than many conventional blenders. I’ve had mine for 12 years or more and had good success (though it’s nothing like a Vita Mix). I think I paid about $60 for it.

• Tiffany says

I don’t have a Vita Mixer either, I just used my Hamilton Beach food processor and it worked fine!! Creamy and smooth.

28. DonnaRocks says

This was so freakin good and I did NOT use the maple syrup! I served in a frosted glass. Thank you Detoxinista!

29. Joe says

I laid on the couch with my head tilted back for what felt like 5 minutes…just waiting for the last drop of this shake! It was thick, delicious, and rich. While I wouldn’t begin replacing meals with it, this chocolate peanut butter banana milkshake makes for a tasty treat you don’t have to feel guilty about. I’m about to go throw a couple more bananas in the freezer for round two, maybe a small pinch of cinnamon on the next one? Thanks for the recipe!

30. says

All I can say is DELICIOUS!!!! I have no guilt when I drink this shake and I actually feel a little more energized afterwards. I can’t get enough thanks so much for posting it!

31. says

Are you kidding me? W-O-W

I just made this and I cannot believe how amazingly delicious it is. I almost feel guilty eating it while my kids are sleeping upstairs. I substituted for light soy milk and skipped the syrup. This is definitely a new favorite.

32. Renee says

I am SO happy to have found your webpage here! You have some awesome tips for people that are beginning like my family, to eat a more healthy way!
    I will for sure be visiting this site!

33. Tiffany says

OMG So good!!!
    Made a few changes to suit what we had –
    1 banana only (not frozen)
    some chocolate AND regular almond milk
    and used raw honey because I ran out of maple syrup last week lol

It was delicious, sweet but not overpowering. Will be pinning and making again for sure!

34. Wendy kent says

I actually made this for my kids and they didn’t like it. However, I had some too and I thought it tasted just like a chocolate milkshake with a hint of banana. I have no idea what is wrong with my kids. :). I used more ice and raw honey instead of syrup but holy bomb. It was good. And I don’t even like peanut butter!

35. Cindy says

I LOVE your blog & this recipe rocks! I didn’t have almond milk so I used a little water instead & it still turned out great. I also added a handful of kale & substituted almond butter, soooo good! Thank you for all the great recipes & tips.

36. Bill MacKnight says

Cindy,

I have to watch my sugar intake and have now incorporated almond milk and brown rice powdered
    meal replacement for my lunches.
    So when looking for a variety of recipies that incorporates almond milk I came across your peanut butter cocoa drink.

Tried it tonight WOW!!! That’s all i can say. First of all I love thick malts but no can do anymore.
    This is off the charts. I used Rapunzel organic coca. Going to add coconut to my next one THANKS!!!

37. cathryn morgan says

Way too rich for me. Was it because I didn’t add any ice because we disnt have any. Tasted like i was drinking straight chocolate.

38. Patrick says

I’m using a ninja, so I blended the ice into a “snowy” texture in the mini processor first. It solved the problem of the rogue ice chunks and made it exactly the consistency of a frosty! Also, I used frozen coconut water for the ice cubes and didn’t add any sweetener. SO GOOD!!!!

39. Michelle says

THANK YOU for this recipe! This has become a total staple for me! I love it for breakfast and also for a late night snack when I need something sweet and I don’t feel guilt! I love this!!

40. Mary says

My husband suggested going out for ice cream treats at our favorite local dairy and I said no… I wanted to make this instead! I made 1 serving using 3 ice cubes, 1.5 tablespoons of peanut butter, 1.5 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder (for a richer chocolate taste), roughly 3/8 cup of almond milk, few grains of salt, & 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Delightful! I skipped the maple syrup since a) I didn’t want the extra sugar and b) I noticed that you responded to another commenter that the maple syrup was not necessary. I know you’re not into counting calories, but for me this was probably slightly fewer calories than a similar sized ice cream shake and definitely way less sugar, too.

41. says

This was absolutely AMAZING! I’m not really a favor of peanut butter, but it looked so yummy in the picture I had to give it a try! Can not believe how delicious! Can’t wait to pass this recipe on to my clients! Thanks for a winner!

42. says

OOPS! *not really a “fan” of peanut butter! – Guess I was so excited after trying this I was completely confused! Yummy brain freeze!

43. Sandy says

made the shake but it was not thick .what did I not do right .tasted good but just like a drink not a shake.

44. faith says

Thanks for this recipe, I pinned it a few weeks ago and decided to try it this week! We have had it twice already and the kiddos LOVE it.. They only thing I did different was use coconut milk instead of almond since that’s what I buy.. Delicious!!!

45. Nic Nakk says

I just made this but made it with PB, Frozen Bananas, Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk, Kale, Flax seeds and it is to die for! No need for ice since the frozen bananas made it icy cold. :-) It tastes more like a dessert or a treat though.

46. Nic Nakk says

I just made this but made it with PB, Frozen Bananas, Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk, Kale, Flax seeds and it is to die for! No need for ice since the frozen bananas made it icy cold. It tastes more like a dessert or a treat though. :) :) :)

47. Donna says

Two words…HAZELNUT BUTTER….

As a sub for the PB….Result? An unctuous Nutella “Frosty” = Sheer nirvana!

48. says

Oh man, this was heavenly! I used almond butter, and coconut milk (to get more fat), and tossed in a few blueberries, then topped it with cocoa nibs. It is definitely a treat and not to be consumed daily ;)
    Thanks for the yummy recipe!

49. Ruthie says

Just made this (halved the recipe), used water instead of almond milk, and added a piece of 80% dark chocolate. Fabulous!!! Thank you!

50. JLa says

OMG this is soooooo deelish!!! I just made this for my husband & he loved it. I added an extra scoop of cocoa powder. Definitely 5 stars!!!!

51. Michelle Baker says

This is SO good and my new go-to snack when I have a craving for something sweet and a green smoothie won’t cut it (I replaced the maple syrup with stevia).

52. Megan says

This recipe looks so good! I absolutely HATE bananas..Is there anything can can be substituted in place of the bananas?

53. Rosemary says

Yummers! I just finished having a variation of this for BREAKFAST! My version combined almond milk, frozen banana, frozen spinach, crunchy peanut butter, chia seeds, a stray date that was hanging around needing a purpose, vanilla, and maca powder. No ice, no salt (my peanut butter was already salted), no maple syrup. So, so delicious, and I felt I could rationalize drinking it for breakfast by calling it a green smoothie! ;)

54. Rosemary says

Mmmmmmmm, made another variation of this milkshake this morning for my breakfast and it turned out possibly even better than my first version. Almond milk, goat milk yogurt, frozen banana, frozen spinach, peanut butter, cocoa powder, hemp protein powder, vitamineral green powder, maca powder, chia seeds, and vanilla. Yummy!

55. ivana says

I just made it….it is delicious….the thing is this is so fullfilling and sweet that i dont think ill be able to finish my serving!
    I hope its ok if i save it in my fridge in order to finish it tomorrow!

56. Charlene says

OMG! I’ve just this second finished making this milkshake and let me tell you how delicious it tastes. I shall be incorporating this drink into my healthier lifestyle diet.

57. Valerie says

You are a genius. This milkshake was non- stop sippingly good. How do you know exactly how many ice cubes to use to get it to taste so great? I think I would’ve added too many (which would’ve compromised the flavor ) if I didn’t have a guideline from your recipe. Thanks Detoxinista!

58. Katie says

I have tried to kick my awful sugar cravings and within the last 3 weeks I haven’t had any sugar! I attribute that to this recipe! Many MANY thanks :)

59. Ebony says

I made this with chocolate Soymilk, minus the cocoa powder. It’s really delicious!! I will be making this again. Thanks!

60. Jenn says

I have been trying different smoothie recipes and couldn’t make it “just right”…until I tried your recipe!! I eliminated the cocoa powder and it was still perfect. Thank you for sharing, it was super yummy!!

61. Isa says

Hi,I want to tell you that your recipes are the best I have ever seen and tried. I was looking so long for good, healthy, cellulite-reducing(it works!!) and most important sooo tasty recipes.Unfortunately I don’t get all the ingredients in Europe but there are more and more health food shops and if I don’t get an ingredient your recipe is a great inspiration. Just tried this shake-it’s fantastic!!Greeetings from Austria!

• Noodle-berry says

Hi Isa
      Can I ask what recipes you’ve been using to combat (the dreaded) cellulite????
      Thanks in advance – N :)

62. says

Hey there, I love your blog, and love trying your recipes. They are awesome! Quick question on this one: is there a reason that the bananas should be frozen? Or can I just use regular bananas? I don’t have much experience with smoothies, so I was wondering! Thanks!

63. Marie says

Best shake ever!
    I subbed the cocoa for a little chocolate whey protein.
    I am in love!
    Not only did it taste amazing, it kept me full all morning! MUST MAKE THIS

64. Noodle-berry says

Just made this shake; I’ve been back and forth for almost an hour as to whether or not I should make it this late (It’s after 11pm); but I saw in the comments section one of your followers has this when her kids are in bed & she doesn’t feel the slightest bit guilty as it’s so healthy; so I thought, who am I to argue???? :)
    So glad I did, absolutely delish! Again Megan, you’ve outdone yourself ;)

65. Mia says

I’ve had this recipe for a while now but just made it after receiving your reminder-post of sweet treats. Thank you for the reminder–it is delicious and just what I was looking for this afternoon!

66. Kate Milan says

I made this with cacao powder ….and a little stevia powder instead of maple syrup…it was a very nice alternative to chocolate shakes, and so much better for you. Thank you I will be making this again…

67. says

Hello there. Me and my niece are about to make one of your recipes and we are so excited. My niece wanted to send you a little note and it as follows :-) Shes 6…

cat
    doll

From and thank you,
    nyah
    and
    kunji

fuyjgh

68. Linsey says

This sucker is delicious! I have made it at least 10 times and every time I am in love. I have started subbing molasses for some of the syrup and adding cinnamon to regulate the impact on glucose levels (and because its delicious. This recipe is totally milkshake quality and will curb the worst chocolate/sweet cravings for sure.

69. J says

wow! this is so good! Tastes like I ordered a chocolate peanut butter shake from an old fashioned ice cream shoppe!

70. says

Do you let the frozen bananas sit out of the freezer for a little while first? I like them “sorta” frozen. I usually freeze and then defrost for about 15 mins.

71. Colleen says

I always throw a handful of spinach in the mix! You don’t even notice it. Thanks for this awesome website!

72. Anna says

Wow. This is so amazing!!! I love the creamy and smooth texture of it… It really hits the spot:)
    Thank you SO MUCH!!!

73. JoAnne says

This shake is delicious! I made it exactly as the recipe says and I love it. Thank you so much for all of your dairy free recipe’s :)

• Megan says

Dates would add a nice sweetness, but I can’t think of anything else that is quite as creamy as bananas.

74. Craig Glenister says

Wow! I have to give this a try! I’m trying hard to shed the weight and get into shape but I’m so bad with my own temptations, I think with this it could help stave off my choco and peanut butter cravings for a while.
    My fav smoothie at the moment is diced up and frozen mango, frozen raspeberries blitzed with some fresh orange juice no ice needed and all blitzed with a hand blitzer so no need for lengthy clean ups of larger mixers! What could be better? Comes out really thick and lush! And this wonderful recipe from a big fat bloke haha

75. Patti says

Wow! I made this for me and my husband one night as an after dinner treat. This was delicious! Now I keep frozen bananas and ice cubes in the freezer at all times. Thanks for sharing!

76. Dana says

This is literally the best banana milkshake recipe ever!! I’m so happy to have this as an option this summer, as i recently found out I need to stay away from dairy. I made this for others who had no idea it was made with bananas, and it was a huge hit! THANK YOU

77. Lindsey says

My Vitamix came in a week ago and I’ve made this shake 3-4 times since then. Tonight, I tried out a different recipe that called for dairy and a LOT more sugar. It tasted about the same as this one and it completely melted within 5 minutes. I’ll be sticking with this shake! Thanks for the recipe!

78. Tira Montgomery says

Megan,
    You have changed my life! Your recipes are amazing. I usually do one of your shakes in the morning, a soup in the afternoon, and some of your quick frozen dinners in the evening. Plus I make your cookies, cakes and snacks. I haven’t had one I didn’t like. I’m dairy free and don’t really care for meat. I’ve past along your website to several of my friends, family and co-workers. They all rave about your stuff.

Thanks Again!
    Tira

79. Niki says

This is the lower fat healthier cooler cousin to Jamba Juice’s “peanut butter mood”.
    They taste almost the same! What a wonderful treat! My husband goes “bananas” for this…hehehe ;)
    So do I :D

80. Brandy says

I I just found this today and had to try it. I fallowed it as faithfully as I could with what I had on hand! I was so incredibly good! Maybe the best thing to ever come out of my Vitamix! Thank you for sharing this! Brandy

81. Nina says

I was going to make this for dessert last night and realized too late that I forgot to buy peanut butter. So I made it without and it makes a very tasty chocolate shake (or chocolate milk if you leave out the icecubes).

82. Jenny says

Megan, I found your recipe on facebook and have to tell you thank you for posting it. The shake is awesome. What I am really amazed though is by how good I feel after drinking it. I have a little insulin resistance going on and am pregnant on top of that. This shake keeps me from crashing in the afternoon. What do you think it is about the shake and what other recipes would you recommend? So grateful! :)

83. Dana says

I’ve made this recipe many times using either maple syrup or honey but tonight I made it for the first time with 3 medjool dates to replace the sweetener and sweetness from the frozen banana and extra ice cubes. I did not need to add the salt. It tasted almost exactly like the original! Delicious!!!

84. Nab says

Best smoothie I’ve had in a long time! Sometimes I add a handful of spinach or frozen carrots to smoothie for variety.
    Nab

85. Ron says

I like peanut butter in my smoothies also. I’ll have to try this one.

One of the versions of peanut butter smoothie I like is a Blueberry Peanut Butter Smoothie.
    Recipe for 2 servings
    2 cups of almond milk
    1 frozen banana
    1 to 1.5 cups of frozen blueberries
    4 tablespoons of peanut butter
    handful of spinach
    optional: cocoa powder, or chocolate protein powder, kale

86. Jennifer Duhon says

I made my husband the shake again today, but unfortunately we did not have any ice, so I substituted water. Since I do not like bananas much with chocolate and peanut butter I opted again for the frozen avocado in mine (I used two larges avocados – note: I don’t even like the taste of avocados or eat them at all otherwise). Because I didn’t have ice I used about 6 cupfuls (from the small plastic inlet cover of my vitamix) of water as it was really thick and creamy. To no avail the recipe just got creamier and began to whip up even more, so I gave into it being more like ice cream or a mousse. I used two small stevia scoops (in place of maple syrup since I am eliminating all sugar from my diet for a few weeks) from the container of dried stevia extract from Trader Joe’s (note: pure stevia leaf is bitter and grainy, so I am not sure how if would fare in this recipe) and added another 1/8 cup of peanut butter and another tablespoon of cocoa, so you will need to increase your maple syrup accordingly (add 1/2 Tbs more). This is the most awesome and creamy dessert ever!!! I am wondering now if I can make whipped cream with avocados, vanilla, and maple syrup? I’ll be experimenting with this soon. But I dare say my little 11 month old is a huge fan of my new concoction of your recipe which really just a super thick version of the shake making more like a frozen mousse! Yes, she is able to have a little chocolate here and there with no reaction. With 4 younger brothers and sisters that is a God-send. Of course all her siblings love the concoction as well. Thanks for your insights and recipes. I downloadable your new recipe book and look forward to using it soon. Blessings, Jennifer

87. Helen says

OMG. I never write reviews. But this was beyond amazing (and easy). I got a Vitamix for Christmas, so I’ve been on a smoothie/nut milk making kick recently. I wanted to recreate my favorite chocolate-peanut butter-banana milkshake from my local ice cream shop, but healthier. Not only is this recipe much healthier, but it honestly tastes as delicious and creamy as the dairy version made with ice cream and milk. Better, actually, since it doesn’t have that cloying commercial sweetness from corn syrup-laden chocolate syrup. Plus, I’m saving a lot of money by making it myself and not spending $6 on each shake :). Thank you so much!!

88. Dana says

This shake is SOOO much better than any other shake I’ve ever had! Number one it tastes better. Number 2, it doesn’t make me feel like crap and make my stomach explode at 2 am. Lol…I’m lactose intolerant. I’m new to your blog and I’m totally obsessed! Thank you for this recipe and all the others who help a sugarholic such as myself get her fix yet still be healthy! Whoever could have imagined? Certainly not me!

89. Isabella B. says

Thank you for this delicious and easy to prepare shake. I just made a gallon of almond milk and I was happy to use it today. I bought a great product I thought you all might be interested in. At Costco, Honeyville organic butter powder. Gluten free and made in the USA. It’s funny though – their website doesn’t have this one listed yet. Only their older peanut butter powder but this one has: peanuts, coconut sugar and sea salt. That’s it and it’s SO good. Only 1 gram of fat per serving too. I added it to your shake and it was fabulous! Thanks again.

• Isabella B. says

II was concerned about my almond milk going bad as I had it in the fridge for a few days, so I poured it into my muffin tins and mini muffin tins and froze them. Then popped them out into ziplock bags to store in the freezer. Worked beautifully today with this awesome shake. I just didn’t add the additional ice cubes, yet added a 1/2 cup of Zico coconut water. Delish! Thanks again.

90. Danielle says

What kind of cocoa powder do you use? I have both Valrohona Poudre De Cacao and Nativa Raw Cacao powder?!

91. Michele R. says

I loved this recipe so much, I made it for a girl scout troop for their healthy eating badge. No one could believe it wasn’t a chocolate ice cream shake! Great job!

Trackbacks

1. […] Lots of non-dairy healthy smoothie recipes containing avocado and spinach pretend they taste like a regular milkshake. They are frequently delicious, but they are also dirty liars because they do not taste like milkshakes. To me, at least, this one actually does. It is my adaptation of this recipe from Detoxinista. […]

2. […] my favorite thing all week. Listen people, chocolate is necessary for a happy life, and this chocolate peanut butter banana milkshake is HEAVEN COME TO EARTH. I aint even lyin. Just ask Steven, and the 15 people I text the recipe to […]