Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (Grain-free)

I’ve really outdone myself this time.

When Austin requested muffins for his breakfast this week, I knew I wanted to try something a little different. We tend to stick to peanut butter-chocolate or banana-flavored breakfast items in our house, so this was an opportunity to branch out a bit.

But it’s a tricky slope.

Branching out too far means a lot of wasted muffins, because he’s kinda picky. Hence, why we usually stick to peanut butter-chocolate or banana.

However, thanks to your Facebook suggestions and a pint of ripe, tart raspberries staring me in the face, I decided to go for it. To balance out the tartness of the raspberries, I threw in some chocolate chips for good measure.

The sweet & tart result is downright addictive.

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (grain-free, naturally sweetened)
makes 12 muffins

Adapted from this cake recipe

2 cups almond flour (store-bought or homemade)
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened (butter works, too)
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup fresh raspberries (or thawed from frozen)
1/2 cup chocolate chips

12 muffin liners

Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.

Note: I didn’t have any muffin liners on hand, so I greased my pan with coconut oil and hoped for the best. The result was okay, but not ideal. (The muffin bottoms stuck to the pan a bit.) Muffin liners would have made life much easier, so I highly recommend them.

Combine all the ingredients– except for the raspberries and chocolate chips– and mix well, until the batter is a uniform consistency. Gently fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips, until they are spread throughout the batter.

Using a 1/4 cup to measure, drop batter into muffin liners and bake for 15 minutes at 350F, turning the pan halfway through for even baking.

Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove to cool completely.

I love how each bite of these muffins are just bursting with flavor!

I have a feeling we’re going to need to stock-up on more raspberries before the season is over.

Hope you enjoy them soon, too!

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (Grain-free)

Grain-free and naturally sweetened, these muffins are packed with sweet & tart flavors! A perfect breakfast or afternoon treat.
  • 2 cups almond flour (store-bought or homemade)
  • 2 whole eggs
  • ¼ cup coconut oil, softened (butter works, too)
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup fresh raspberries (or thawed from frozen)
  • ½ cup chocolate chips
  • 12 muffin liners
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
  2. Combine all the ingredients-- except for the raspberries and chocolate chips-- and mix well, until the batter is a uniform consistency.
  3. Gently fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips, until they are spread throughout the batter.
  4. Using a ¼ cup to measure, drop batter into muffin liners and bake for 15 minutes at 350F, turning the pan halfway through for even baking. The final muffins should be golden brown around the edges and firm in the center.
  5. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove to cool completely.
Notes
I didn't have any muffin liners on hand, so I greased my pan with coconut oil and hoped for the best. The result was okay, but not ideal. (The muffin bottoms stuck to the pan a bit.) Muffin liners would have made life much easier, so I highly recommend using them.

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite muffin flavor? Do you like sweet & tart combinations?

Hi, Iโ€™m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the bodyโ€™s detox organsโ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

262 thoughts on “Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins (Grain-free)

1. Gianna

Hi Megan,

I love your site! Thank you for sharing your helpful and healthy recipes. I was just diagnosed with Crohn’s and I have been experimenting with grain-free flour. I have recently bought Coconut flour. Would I be able to substitute the Almond flour for Coconut flour in this recipe? Please let me know. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Hayley

I made these yesterday and they are awesome! Although I feel that I could go with halving the amount of honey next time. They weren’t too sweet, I’m just trying to eat less sugar and I think they’ll be sweet enough still. I just ground up whole almonds in my blender and they worked perfectly and look just like these muffins! Thanks Megan, will def make again!! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. sue

If you don’t have muffin liners I just used a little square of baking paper in each spot in the muffin tray. Works a treat and looks classy!

4. Maxine

I love all your recipes! I’m going to try these out and freeze them for post-baby snacks. Just curious if you think adding in maybe a cup of chopped kale would ruin them…I have a picky 2 year old and love sneaking in veggies anywhere I can.

Kale has a pretty strong flavor, so I’d try something more mild, like spinach, to see how that works first. Let us know how it turns out!

5. Pingback: Almond Chocolate Raspberry Detox Muffins — laurahagan.com

6. Sydnee

I just made a batch of these but replaced the raspberries with blueberries since thats what I had. They are delicious! If I make them with blueberries again, I think I’ll cut the honey by half to cut back on the sweetness. I definitely want to try these again with raspberries. Thank you for sharing!

7. [email protected]

I made these for breakfast this Father’s Day. It’s the first time I’ve ever baked with almond flour. My husband couldn’t stop raving about them. Thanks for sharing.

8. Linda

This Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe sounds so good. However, I can not have any kind of vinegar because of the diet I am on. Can you suggest anything else I can use in place of the apple cider vinegar? Thank you.

9. Jean

I had blackberries so I used them instead of raspberries. These muffins were absolutely amazing!!! I cannot wait to make them again. Seriously, I am in love! haha…Thanks for sharing this recipe and all of the others. Great website!

10. Racheal

Hi Megan,
    Based on ayurveda, you can’t heat up honey. Do you have any other option to sweeten this muffin? Maple syrup work? Please give me reply……

11. Melissa

Wow!!! I picked my raspberries and used all organic ingredients and these were soooo amazing! My husband is raving about them. Thank you so much for this healthy gift!

12. Melissa

Oh and I should mention I ground up almonds as suggested with meal. Perfect texture! Just lovely

13. Melissa

I made these, but used (fresh) cherries instead of raspberries. DELICIOUS! And everything I was looking for in a muffin recipe. I cooked mine a few minutes longer? They were super moist still and didn’t seem completely done at 15 minutes, but that could be my oven? Either way, I am stoked with the recipe and will use it time and time again. Thanks!

14. Abbie

I swapped out blueberries for the chocolate chips (using as much as 1 cup of blueberries), and added the zest of 1 1/2 lemons and lemon juice instead of the ACV. A perfect substitute for an old favorite berry coffee cake, that was made with few heat flour! Thanks a bunch!!!

15. Pingback: 10 Delicious Recipes for Vinegar Lovers | Healthy Concepts with a Nutrition Bias

16. Pingback: Going Gluten Free

17. Kate

I’ve made these muffins twice exactly as per the recipe and both times the result hasn’t been that great. While they taste good, the texture is very coarse and crumbly and the middle is too moist and mushy. Any suggestions on what to do? I even baked them closer to 23 minutes, not the 15 in the recipe. thanks!

18. Pingback: What I Ate Today | Sweet Paleo

19. Katie G

I love this recipe! I also use only 2 Tbsps of honey and think they taste just as perfect. Everyone always asks for the recipe so i make sure to send them to your site not only to get this one but to check out all of your recipes, havent had a bad one yet ๐Ÿ™‚

20. Sylvie

Hi Megan,
    absolutely LOVED these muffins !
    I’ve only just discovered your website and all your recepees and I’m trying them one by one !
    I loved these so much that I finished them all by myself !!! and in a few days…..
    and without gaining any weight ๐Ÿ™‚
    Thanks so much Megan !
    You’re doing a great job here !
    God bless you and your family !
    Love from the Netherlands !

21. peta

hi my son is allergic to nuts and nut flours … he is ok with coconut flour… will the recipe work if I substitute almond flour for coconut..

22. Mr Monte

I made these yesterday & what a tasty treat. The only thing I did differently is before adding the raspberries & chocolate chips to the batter I put a small amount of batter in each of the tins before filling the tins with the completed batter. This keeps from having a soggy bottom.

23. Janet

A WORD OF CAUTION!

Oxalate levels in foods are classified as low, moderate, high and exceptionally high. If you’re a kidney stone sufferer, you want stay in the low to moderate category as much as possible. Eating foods in the exceptionally high range is pretty risky. I have read, but am not an expert, on the fact that oxalates are also linked to other diseases such as autism, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, IC, acne & the list goes on. Not a doctor or an expert, but as a kidney stone sufferer I just wanted to advise that almonds are in the exceptionally high category. I love almonds (I live in CA’s central valley where they’re grown), but I’ve stopped eating them, along with chocolate, tea, peanut butter and everything else I love. Sorry to be a downer… just don’t want ppl using almond meal with reckless abandon without being informed.

24. Pingback: She’s Baaaaaack! | Planet Pav

25. Pingback: Friendly Feasting: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins - Next Generation Fitness

26. tanya

Hi there,
    I made these muffins with Coconut flour instead of almond and the batter was just crumbs, I am assuming it was the flour that caused that. What is the consistency of the batter supposed to be like? Runny? wet? thick?

27. Pingback: There Is Chocolate at the End of this Post | Rebel Mony: Life, Amplified!

28. Joyce

The recipe was a disaster for me. I double checked the ingredients and amounts and still the batter is powder. I added an extra egg, an extra 1/4 cup butter and 1 cup water and still not a batter. How did you get the batter moist???

29. Wendy

Mmmmmmmm, just made these. These are soooooo good. Not too sweet, just the right moisture, nice crumb. And super easy!

30. Pingback: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins | What? No Milk?!

31. Alma

I’ve made these multiple times now, both with store bought almond flour and homemade almond meal and they always turn out delicious! As usual, your recipes never disappoint!! Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Cara

Seriously the best muffins ever!! Made them for valentines and have been asked to make them again. Had only frozen organic raspberries (not enough) and strawberries so I mixed them 1/2 and1/2. I let them thaw, drained the juice and saved. With the juice I added a 1/2 cup of fine shredded coconut then added some on top of each muffin before baking. Gave the coconut a pink color and when toasted made the muffins even better! (If that is possible?)

32. sealeats

Do these freeze well? I like to make a double batch and freeze them, so I always have a quick healthy option for snack or breakfast.

33. Marie

Hi, I am making these muffins right now cause they look great! However my batter is very thick! Not at all like yours in your picture. There seems to be too little liquid to balance the dry ingredients. Did you add any water? Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

34. Danielle

Just made these. Seriously the last muffin recipe I will Ever need. Bless you!! I get bad cravings for sweets, and these totally hit the spot. I was a little short on the almond flour, and threw in some coconut flour to compensate. Also was a little short on honey, threw in a little pure maple syrup to compensate. And used part of an 88% dark chocolate bar, chopped up instead of chocolate chips. Omg, amazing. Thank you for this recipe!!

35. Renee

A friend gave me this recipe a few weeks ago. I am lucky and my family doesn’t have grain allergies, so I made these with all purpose flour. They were delicious! The combination of raspberries and chocolate chips was Perfect!
    Thank you for posting this great recipe.

36. Pingback: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Muffins - Renee's Favorite Dishes

37. Jenny

Hi Megan,

I’ve made these and they are sooooo delicious and like you said, I don’t feel too bad about eating them because of the natural ingredients. I did not get 12 muffins, I only got 8. Am I doing something wrong or is my muffin bigger than yours. They fit in the muffin pan perfectly and was not too big, so I don’t know why I’m not getting 12. Any thoughts?

38. Monique

I’ve made gazillions of different grain free muffins over the years, but I have to say, these were by far the BEST! Even my daughter who describes Paleo baking as “grain free, refined sugar free, taste free” admitted that these were amazing! Thank you so much! Fantastic and will be our go to muffin recipe now !

39. Sara

Hands down one of my favourite recipes. These are so delicious and turned out perfectly…I am so glad they exist!

Did you store them in our out of the fridge?

40. Bern

Everyone who ate these muffins loved them! I’m not GF but I made these for a friend who is and she just adored them. I couldn’t find my frozen raspberries so used blueberries and they were terrific as well.

The mixture raw, didn’t taste all that nice but cooked – delish!!! Definitely a recipe to make again.

41. Sydney Brown

I love bakins, so I absolutely love making these delicious muffins for my family! The raspberry chocolate combo is so good! One of my favorite Paleo sweet treats! Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

42. Petra

I substituted the honey for sugar free maple syrup, otherwise I made exactly this recipe. ItM as divine!!!! Yummo! I did take one commenters suggestion to put a little but of the mxutre in without raspberries or choc, (about a teaspoon full) so you get an ungoo-y bottom. Perfect!! A really easy go-too recipe. I wish I knew the carb content! Lol! Thankyou for this wonderfull recipe!

43. Jacqueline

I just made a batch of these muffins and there ready to go in the oven.. The only thing is that my batch only made 12 .. I stuck to the exact amount in the recipe.. Wondering where I went wrong.,as I don’t want to have to double the recipe next time

44. Todd

I made these using almond flour from the pulp of almomd milk after dehydrating and putting it in a food processoe. The batter came out thick. Any suggestions to thin out the batter?

45. Melanie booth

I have tried these, my batter looked nothing like your, mine was really thick and quite dry and pale in colour, I followed the recipe to the dot.
    They also didn’t bake well taking twice as long as said, any ideas???

1. sarah

Hi Melanie, I have just put these in the oven. The change I made was to use ghee, the batter looked the same as above, I’ll let you know how they bake.

2. Kat

Hi Malanie – my batter came out very dry, too, like a crumb topping. I added 1 1/4 cups of milk, and that didn’t help much. Went ahead and put them in the oven, hoping the juice in the raspberries and the chocolate chips would help. Nope. Even doubled the baking time because they were still soft.

46. Jenn J

When I bake with almond flour I use squares of parchment paper as my muffin liners. I find that the muffins still stick to store bought cupcake liners, but pop right out of the parchment.

47. Allison

Anyone know if these would work with buckwheat flour? Also, wondering if frozen raspberries would work or if that might add too much moisture.