Mounds Bar Truffles

If you like coconut, you’re in luck.

I actually wasn’t much of a coconut fan until recently, but I’m doing my best to make up for lost time… by eating plenty of these coconut-filled truffles.

My grandma has always been the coconut enthusiast of our family, so much so that we can’t even share an assorted box of chocolates with her–> she’s famous for sticking her thumb into the bottom of each one, looking for only the coconut-filled pieces. The other chocolates are left for the rest of us, thumb-shaped holes and all.

This year, I think I’ll just give Grandma her very own batch of these homemade Mounds Bar truffles instead.

Loaded with a hefty dose of shredded coconut, heart-healthy coconut oil and a touch of honey, these two-bite treats are sure to be a hit with any coconut lover. If you happen to have a candy bar mold on hand, you could make a batch of more authentic “Mounds Bars,” but working with candy molds are a bit too labor-intensive for my taste. (With my luck, they’d get stuck and I’d have to eat them directly from the molds!)

Mounds Bar Truffles
makes 8 pieces

1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of fine sea salt
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

While the coconut filling is setting in the freezer, this is the perfect time to start melting the dark chocolate. Since I don’t own a microwave, I use the oven to melt my dark chocolate chips–> placing them in a 400-degree oven for 5 minutes does the trick!

Note: Alternatively, you could skip the chocolate chips and make your own raw chocolate coating instead. (This recipe would work great!) The only problem with raw chocolate is that it doesn’t last long at room temperature, so store-bought dark chocolate works better for serving to company or at a party.

Using a spoon, coat each coconut mound with a dollop of melted chocolate, spreading the coating around evenly to cover every last inch! If you’d like to coat the bottoms, as well, allow the first coating of chocolate to set in the freezer (about 10 minutes) then dip the bottoms in chocolate and freeze again on the parchment paper to set.

Serve slightly chilled for best texture, and enjoy!

Mounds Bar Truffles
Serves: 8

Loaded with a hefty dose of shredded coconut, heart-healthy coconut oil and a touch of honey, these two-bite treats are sure to be a hit with any coconut lover. These truffles are a quick and easy solution for getting your chocolate candy fix, without too much effort or mess in the kitchen.
  • ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine sea salt
  • ½ cup dark chocolate chips
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the shredded coconut, coconut oil, honey, water, vanilla and salt, and mix well. Allow the mixture to rest for 5-10 minutes, so that the dried coconut will absorb some of the moisture.
  2. Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, drop the coconut mixture onto a plate lined with parchment paper, creating bite-sized mounds. (The mounds will be fragile at this point, but will firm up soon!)
  3. Place the plate in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, to allow the coconut mounds to firm up. They should become pretty solid, thanks to the coconut oil!
  4. While the coconut filling is setting in the freezer, this is the perfect time to start melting the dark chocolate. Since I don't own a microwave, I use the oven to melt my dark chocolate chips--> placing them in a 400-degree oven for 5 minutes does the trick!
  5. Note: Alternatively, you could skip the chocolate chips and make your own raw chocolate coating instead. (This recipe would work great!) The only problem with raw chocolate is that it doesn't last long at room temperature, so store-bought dark chocolate works better for serving to company or at a party.
  6. Using a spoon, coat each coconut mound with a dollop of melted chocolate, spreading the coating around evenly to cover every last inch! If you'd like to coat the bottoms, as well, allow the first coating of chocolate to set in the freezer (about 10 minutes) then dip the bottoms in chocolate and freeze again on the parchment paper to set.
  7. Serve slightly chilled for best texture, and enjoy!

*Note: For an even easier coconut-filled candy, try using mini paper cups to create these chocolate-coated candies. Follow these directions, using the coconut filling instead.

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite type of Halloween candy? Are you a coconut fan?

49 thoughts on “Mounds Bar Truffles

1. Jen @ Existential Evolution

Oh my gosh…those look like a piece of heaven! This past year I’ve really become addicted to coconut. You can find at least 5 variations of coconut at any time in our house (shredded coconut, coconut water, coconut butter, coconut oil, coconut extract, coconut milk, coconut cream, etc.). As I’m writing this response I’m eating my homemade coconut chia pudding!

1. Hope

These are so tasty. I also tried subbing 1 T peanut butter for 1 of the T of coconut oil….similar to a butterfinger taste 🙂

That sounds delicious! Have you ever tried a Zagnut bar? They were like a Butterfinger, but with peanut butter AND toasted coconut! So yummy. 🙂

2. MariannaS

OMG, that looks awesome. One question though: all chocolate chips I’ve seen at the store have sugar added. Do you think it’s possible to use baker’s chocolate and add honey to it when it’s melting?

3. Sophia

I make something similar with dates– just some pitted dates and shredded coconut in a food processor. Dates lend a caramel-ly flavour so it tastes like Girl Scout samoas when you add chocolate. Just wondering– are dates not part of the detox plan? I haven’t picked up the book you recommended so I was just wondering (I love dates).

I featured a date-heavy recipe on Monday, so they are definitely a favorite of mine! I especially love them mixed with pecans, for a “pecan pie” flavor. 🙂

4. Jacqui

This Momma can’t say enough THANK YOU’s! This recipe is amazing and I was able to tweak it to my taste without issue. I tried a batch with dates, with pecans and with almonds. All of them were a hit! I am by no means a fabulous baker or “Susie Homemaker”, but I was able to sneak these in as a homemade treat during a recent women’s function and apparently I have tasked with being the new Treat/Dessert Supplier. Now all I have to do is to figure out a way to make these kid friendly, as my children love coconut but don’t like chocolate. (I know, who doesn’t like chocolate??) Any suggestions?

Love the recipes and adore the blog…keep up the great work!
    Thank You!

I’m so glad you all enjoyed them!!

Perhaps your kids would like my blonde coconut macaroons? I may be a bit biased, but they are the best version I’ve ever tasted! http://detoxinista.com/2010/09/macaroon-fairy/ (If you use an oven to bake them, rather than a dehydrator, it’s probably best to experiment with this recipe before making it for an event– oven temperatures vary, and it takes a bit of experience to get them “right.” Either way, they’ll taste delicious, though!)

5. Hope

Made these at 3am last night…after nursing the baby, haha.

So so yummy! I actually put a small dollup of peanut butter on each truffle before putting back in the freezer to chill and they were reminiscent of a butter finger/chic-o-stick 🙂

6. Ingrid King

I just made these – they turned out yummy! And so easy to make!

Next time, I’m going to have to double the recipe so there’ll be some left for others… 🙂

7. Tracey

I am going to put a single almond in the middle of each coconut mound, because, sometimes you feel like a nut….

8. Pingback: Marvelous in My Monday!

9. Isabel

Made them tonight! They are delicious! A little messy to make but I had fun licking all of the utensils that were used! Lol.

10. Heather Brandt

Am I doing something wrong? When I mix the first part, it makes only a tiny amount of shredded coconut mixture; definitely not enought for 8 people…

Hi Heather! If you’re using a tablespoon to measure out the coconut batter, there should be 8 pieces. 1/2 cup coconut = 8 tablespoons. They are bite-sized, so I’m not sure they’d feed 8 people… they only fed two of us over here. 😉

11. Pingback: Today’s Craving- Coconut Mounds Bars Recipe « Letty Bug and Salem Moon

12. Pingback: My Halloween Survival Guide

13. Pingback: Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut, Sometimes You Don’t! « Welcome to Empowering Health Tips

14. Pingback: Easy Paleo treats and healthier sweets | thelifeoflulubelle

15. jen

I added 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and it added a nice york peppermint patty tast, but definitely not as pretty as the picture.

16. K Williams

New to your site. Love it!!! BFF recently had surgery, wanted Mounds bar for Valentine’s. Couldn’t bear to buy those so made these. Put almond in center of each and big hit! Satisfying and tasty so no one had to eat more than a couple. Only problem is my coconut oil is solid. When mixed /w honey, water, vanilla it would’t mix. Put in microwave and ingredients became liquid. Continued recipe. Tastes great but ended up /w watery fluid on bottom of each bar. Feedback?

I like to measure out the amount of coconut oil that I’ll be using, then place it in a dish on top of my oven so that it will warm gently. If you get it to the “soft” stage (like how butter is at room temperature) it will be very easy to work with, and won’t separate! The microwave may have affected the molecular structure of the coconut oil, so that might account for the watery fluid– I’ve never had that happen!

17. OUTRAGEOUS and yummy treat!!!

Hi Megan,

Just wanted you to know how much we enjoyed this recipe! I had made black bean brownies (yum) but they were quite flat. My recipe was too much for a 9″ square and too little for an 11″ x 13″. I chose the thin version…

Soooooo, I needed to fill or frost or stack or something to help out their appearance.

Thought of ganache first – then thought of coconut filling. Did a search & found your site and this recipe right away!

So here’s what I did. 2 equal squares of my thin black bean brownies. A little ganache on top of 1, then a layer of your yummy coconut filling… a little more ganache on the bottom of the second square before placing it onto the coconut filling. A little brownie sandwich with a coconut filling / ganache center!

Let that sit in fridge a couple of minutes – then covered the whole affair with ganache.

Decided to put little mound of your delicious coconut filling on the top of each “sandwich” for that “mounds-bar” look & covered that with a thin layer of ganache for a finish.

OMG! I’m already thinking of a ka-zillion other applications for this delicious mix.

18. S

These are going to be delicious, I just know it! Regarding the reader feedback question( which you may or may not still be asking for) about favorite treats: I am looking for a thin mint girl scout cookie recipe that is healthy and also doesn’t make a huge amount. Would you be up for the challenge?

19. Yoli

Hi there, I’m in the middle of making these mounds bar but my mixture is no white like yours and also was the coconut oil suppose to be solid or melted?

Thanks so much,

Yoli

20. Kristie

I made these for my boys for dessert tonight. WE ALL LOVED THEM!!!! What a great recipe. Thank you!

21. Cat

I made these and they were awesome. I wedged one almond to the tops of some of them, so I had some that were “mounds” and some “almond joy” Just amazing! Thank you for the recipe

22. Pingback: When Life Hands You a Low FODMAP Diet, Make Pizza! | My Food and My Mood: Am I What I Eat?

23. Lucy

oh wow!!! when i started eating them i could not stop!!! Because i have to avoid sugar i used yacon syrup instead of honey and covered them in carob chocolate:) delicioso!!! thank yOU

24. PR

Made these for Christmas and they are awesome! Even my sugar & wheat loving adult children couldn’t get enough of them 🙂 I melt my chocolate chips in 8 oz pyrex bowls sitting in about an inch of water in a pan on low heat on the stove. As I use the melted chocolate in one bowl, the other stays warm and I can switch between them, and add more chocolate chips as needed 🙂

25. Alison Charbonneau

I made this recipe today for a client that I cook for who follows food-combining strictly! I doubled the recipe and in place of the water added 2 Tablespoons of unsweetened coconut milk. I also blended it all in the food processor until it was semi smooth. YUM!!! These were relish and totally reminded me of mounds bars and when i was a kid. Thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂