Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I was tempted to call this recipe “Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole,” because it tastes ridiculously similar to the creamy hash brown casserole that my mom usually makes for our holiday brunches.

SONY DSC

Only, this version doesn’t call for frozen hash browns. Instead, it features nutrient-rich spaghetti squash!

Cooked spaghetti squash has a surprisingly similar texture to hash browns, and blends seamlessly into this simple casserole, with a lower starch content. Combined with sauteed onions, probiotic-rich yogurt, and a bit of raw goat cheddar, this creamy dish is classic comfort food–> without leaving you feeling uncomfortable later.

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Serves 4-6

Adapted from this recipe

1 medium spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup plain goat’s milk yogurt, or greek yogurt
3 oz. raw goat cheddar, shredded and divided
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
black pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, and remove the seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side-down on the baking sheet, and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the outer shell. (For full directions, see this post.)

Once you have removed the squash from the oven, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute the chopped onion and garlic until tender and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the cooked onion and garlic to a large mixing bowl, and combine with the yogurt and 2 oz. of shredded goat cheddar, then season with salt and pepper. When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the noodle-like strands into the bowl, and mix well.

mixTransfer the mixture to a 2.5-quart casserole dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining ounce of goat cheddar over the top, and return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 400F.

SONY DSCThe casserole is ready when the top is a light golden brown, which makes for a crunchy crust! Serve immediately.

SONY DSC

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Serves: 4-6

Cooked spaghetti squash has a surprisingly similar texture to hash browns, and blends seamlessly into this simple hash-brown-like casserole. Combined with sauteed onions, creamy yogurt, and a bit of raw goat cheddar, this creamy dish is classic comfort food, without leaving you uncomfortable later.
  • 1 medium spaghetti squash
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ½ yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup plain goat's milk yogurt, or greek yogurt
  • 3 oz. raw goat cheddar, shredded and divided
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • black pepper, to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, and remove the seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side-down on the baking sheet, and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the outer shell.
  2. Once you have removed the cooked squash from the oven, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute the chopped onion and garlic until tender and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
  3. Transfer the cooked onion and garlic to a large mixing bowl, and combine with the yogurt and 2 oz. of shredded goat cheddar, and season with salt and pepper. When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the noodle-like strands into the bowl, and mix well.
  4. Transfer the mixture to a 2.5-quart casserole dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining ounce of goat cheddar over the top, and return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 400F.
  5. The casserole is ready when the top is a light golden brown, which makes for a crunchy crust! Serve immediately.

Hope you enjoy it!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of hash brown casseroles? It was one of my favorite dishes growing up, so I’m happily enjoying this properly combined version now!

Comments

1. Rhonda says

I have been enjoying your site and all the wonderful recipes for quite some time now. I just so happen to have a fresh spaghetti squash that is begging to be made into this! lol.

2. cheryl says

OMG this looks so decadently delicious!! I have never tried goat cheddar. Any brands that you recommend for a first-timer?

• says

Alta Dena’s goat cheddar is a little more mild, and is the first brand I ever tried and enjoyed. I tend to like stronger, more “stinky” cheeses, so now my new favorite is Mt. Sterling’s extra-sharp raw goat cheddar. I believe they have a mild version, too! Both brands are very tasty. :)

• says

Eliminating the cheese will greatly change the flavor, and you’ll miss the crispy crust on top. Also, using summer squash will change the texture and flavor. Probably won’t taste like a hash brown casserole anymore, but I’m sure you could have fun experimenting!

3. says

This sounds absoultely amazing and I am going to make this. I love all of the squash family and I always have so much from the garden and it seems mostly spaghetti squash so this recipe will come in handy. Thank you so much and I love love love many of your recipe ideas.

4. Kai says

I would love to try this but my family is vegetarian and some vegan. What can I use instead of goat cheeze and greek yogurt?

5. says

O.M.G. I literally ran to the store to get the greek yogurt so I could make this. Spaghetti squash is in the oven!!! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you are a genius!! xo

6. Katie says

Hi Megan. I made this tonite and loved it. I am wondering if you have any ideas to add a little crunch to (the top) of it? So nice to have some tasty healthy food during these cold winter months!

7. Kelly says

I just made something similar using shredded cabbage that had been blanched instead of squash. It was great and a great way to eat cabbage if you are not a huge fan. Cheese makes everything wonderful!

8. Jennifer says

I just assembled this now for dinner in a few hours! It look amazing! So far all of your recipes have been delicious! I love these kinds of “clean” recipes. I used regular goat cheese like a Chèvre since I didn’t have any goat cheddar, so hopefully it will be just as good. I love the creaminess of it! Enjoy your site blog and my weekly emails for you Megan!

9. Alyssa S. says

I made this last night for a girls night dinner/bachelor marathon and it was SO GOOD. I seriously cannot wait to eat the leftovers tonight!! Thanks for the recipe, it will be a new staple!

10. victoria says

Megan! I made this last Night for dinner and ohh my was it ever good! Im have the leftover for lunch today! This dish is perfect for the stormy weather we have in canada

11. JANET says

Prepared this last night, it was fabulous! Next time I am going to try it with scallions. Thanks for ANOTHER great recipe.

12. Andria Miller says

This does look great, but isn’t it improperly combined? spaghetti squash is a starch which is paired with dairy. I’m sorry if you addressed already, I read through the post/comments quickly.

Also, my other question, as I am new to reading your blog (love it BTW!) are you still following a grain free program? I aw a rice dish on your most rece t “what I ate.” Thx!

• says

Due to its high water content, spaghetti squash actually is considered neutral for food combining purposes. So this dish is properly combined!

In regards to a grain-free lifestyle, my husband and I only experimented with a “strict” program for 30 days in January last year. Since then, we’ve included grains in our meals whenever we feel the desire for them. In general, I prefer not following any strict dietary guidelines or programs, because I think that would drive me crazy in the long run!

13. Andria Miller says

Great! I am happy to hear your response because I really do enjoy cheese on my spaghetti squash! I feel I have been trying to set too many strict dietary guidelines for myself which DOES drive me crazy (speaking of a 30 day paleo challenge I tried to do a Whole30 which is super strict and didn’t get past 16 days) and I am wondering if the more restrictive I am the more issues(ie digestive) I have because I lose tolerance for stuff (???)

I really do enjoy your blog and your recipes look great! And, like you, I have a sweet tooth, so I’m super excited to work my way through your desserts!

14. Andrea says

Made this last night for a dinner party – DELICIOUS! I followed the recipe to the letter and people kept saying how much they loved the spaghetti squash.

15. Erika G. says

I made it tonight and it was soooo yummy! Instead of the yogurt, I used an avocado (blended with some water until the consistency of yogurt). The avocado makes it not combined with the cheese, but its easier for my tummy than the yogurt AND cheese. Also, I roasted a bag of frozen organic broccoli on the pan while cooking the spaghetti squash and added it in before baking. Extra flavor and texture. It turned out a little green, but if you don’t mind (or want a St. Patrick’s day recipe)…it’s a winner.

16. Naomi says

Mmm, just finished a helping and it was delicious! Rich, but delicious! My husband and kids gobbled it up too. So happy to have stumbled upon your site :)

17. mary says

I’ve made this twice in two weeks for my family. I can’t believe how much my kids love it! Mine has been on the watery side when it’s done. I followed the recipe to a T, should it be a little runny when it’s done? Still tastes good, but yours sure does look firmer than mine!

• says

I’d assume the watery texture is coming from the spaghetti squash– some are more moist than others! I’d make sure you’re baking it long enough (before making this casserole), to ensure that as much moisture is removed as possible.

18. Deana says

This was wonderful!!! I added a red pepper in with the onion and the garlic. It added a nice crunch! Is there a trick to “shredding” goat cheese? I love your site! You make eating healthy so delicious!!!

19. Maranda says

Made this tonight….flippin’ AWESOME!! I could eat the entire dish, had to make myself stop!!! Love your site and all the recipe ideas…ROCK ON!!

20. Eva says

I tried a lot of your recipes and have been completely enjoying eating cleaner. I absolutely LOVE cooking and all these new recipes are extraordinary! Thank you for sharing it all… this dish is one of my absoooolllluteeee favoritessss!! It’s great with any course- bfast, lunch or dinner… Amazing.

21. alfietta says

I don’t understand how this dish fits the Food Combining Chart, since squash is a starch and cheese/yoghurt obviously a protein :(

• Megan says

Spaghetti squash is unique in the fact that it has a very low starch content, making it “neutral” for food combining purposes. You can consider summer squash, like yellow and zucchini, neutral as well. Winter squash, like butternut and acorn, are the type that must be considered starches.

• alfietta says

Wow, thanks for this explanation! Where I grew up, we’ve never really had so many different types of squash. On second thought, we actually might have had them all, but apparently I never paid enough attention. In any case, thank you so much for the great recipe and the additional info :)

22. Jaimi says

Bought chevre because it wasn’t really specified as to what kind of goat cheese. Going to make it anyway and see how it goes.

23. J.O. says

I made this today with nonfat yogurt and daiya cheddar cheese (we avoid animal fats, hence the dairy nonfat yogurt but no dairy cheese). I didn’t have garlic but sauteed some mushrooms in with the onions… then I mixed nutritional yeast into the yogurt/daiya sauce and sprinkled some on top with the daiya for added nutrition and flavor… came out great!!!

24. says

I just made this and it was delicious! I am on a low carb dieter following the medifast plan and this works well with a few minor changes! I just posted it on my blog! Thanks for a great recipe!

25. Elizabeth says

Love love love this! Had it last night! I used regular shredded cheddar instead of the goat and it still turned out great!!

26. Amy says

Heyya, looks amazing but I have never come across spaghetti squash before? I have made zucchini spaghetti with a special peeler, is that the same thing?

Thanks :-)

27. sara says

what else could use instead of yogurt? im trying to use what I have here without having to make a trip to the store! LOL. I was wondering 1% milk but that would make it watery?

28. Brenda says

I made this tonight and the whole family and I loved it. I used almond milk yogurt instead but followed recipe exactly otherwise. Btw it’s your recipe of almond yogurt and its fantastic.

29. Jennifer says

Just made this, and it was absolutely delicious! I didn’t change a thing, followed the recipe exactly. It’s an amazing feeling to be able to eat this rich-tasting food, without the horrible indigestion after. Thanks for another keeper Megan!

30. Amanda says

I tried making this the other day. I couldnt find raw goat chedder so I picked up goat chesse crumble (never having tried any kind of goat cheese) and it was horrible lol. I’m going to check the other grocery stores around and hopefully I can find the right cheese!

31. sarah thompson says

Ohhhhhhhhh this was good! I do have to admit that since my family doesn’t exclude dairy, I went all out and used sour cream for the yogurt and shredded cheddar for the goat cheese. I also made some bread crumbs with udis GF bread and garlic and sprinkled them on top. Probably not as clean as most of your readers are looking for, but for this wheatless family, it was PERFECT! Thank you for helping us to not only be wheat free, but able to hide some veggies too :)

32. Amy says

Making this casserole for the second time this week! It is going to be served as part of a GAPS legal meal I’m preparing for our extended family during the holidays.

33. says

I used yogurt and cheddar but added. sauted chicken bites to make casserole my hubby would eat. Its still in the oven and smells gteat. Will let you know what he says.

34. Sarah says

This is my first time visiting your site, found you off pinterest and LOVE everything about this place!!! Very excited to try some of these recipes out on the Hubby…he doesn’t care what he eat, but I am trying to be very careful, so if when I can find something that is good for me and pleases him I consider it a win!

35. Kristy Bryan says

I made this tonight…It was good, and my husband liked it a lot! I was not expecting the spaghetti squash to have a bit of a crunchy texture though. It kind of reminded me of potatoes that aren’t cooked completely. Is that normal? If I had baked the squash longer, would it have softened up more? I baked it for 40-45 minutes before making it into the casserole. This was my first experience with spaghetti squash. It was pretty cool, however, watching the “noodles” appear when I scraped out of the shell. I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks for the recipe and your website. I am new at food combining, but am already feeling that my digestive track is improving and I am losing weight. That, is great!

• Megan says

Spaghetti squash does have a unique texture. It’s more hydrating and slightly crunchy, but certain squashes are “crunchier” than others. I’ve found that if I bake them long enough so that a brown spot develops on the outer skin, the texture of the “noodles” is better on the inside. Hope that helps!

36. DeLayne says

I tried this tonight and was super stoked but for some reason the tang from the Greek yogurt was very prominent in mine :-( what did I do wrong?

37. Toni P says

I made this tonight and I added mustard powder and cayenne to balance out the tang of the yogurt. YUMMMM

38. Jennifer says

When I made this recipe which was AMAZING! I found it to be on the tad watery side. Not sure what made it so watery. It was GREAT non the less just wondering what I could do to reduce the amount of liquid that is on the bottom of the caserole. Thanks!

39. J says

Oh my gosh….I’m currently trying this for the first time and it is going to take some SERIOUS will power to not eat the entire dish

Added some chili powder to combat the tanginess (thanks above reviewer!) and it is GREAT

40. Robin says

Megan, this was a big hit in our house! Made this last week, and 19-year-old daughter has been requesting that I make it again. Needless to say, this will be a regular meal in our home – will shake it up by adding other veggies and/or cheeses. Thanks!! Next, plan on trying the veg fried rice and want to re-try the cauliflower pizza crust. Think I didn’t squeeze enough moisture out of cauliflower.

41. Anna D says

This recipe is absolutely delicious! I’m not a fan of onions so I didn’t saute the onions, garlic and butter but rather melted the butter and just mixed it with garlic. As well I am not vegan so I just used regular marble cheese. So delicious, tastes much better than expected! And so creamy with the yogurt :)

42. Shelley says

Just stumbled across your site and there are so many yummy recipes that I cant wait to try. This one reminds me of the Cheesy Noodle Casserole my mom made us when we were kids…still a favorite but this might be the healthier version I have been looking for.

Thanks!

43. Natallia says

Made this today and it came out delicious! Couldn’t find any raw goat cheese anywhere so used the cow’s raw cheddar cheese and it was great!

44. Melissa says

I made this and I left out the cheese because I didnt have any. I put smoked paprika on top and it tasted like scalloped potatoes!!! I am making it again right now with the cheddar! Thanks for the recipe

45. Chelsea says

This sounds delicious! I have never had spagetti squash before. What might you serve this recipe with?

46. Karen says

OMG!! I love this recipe, I can gain weight just eating it , I want to to eat it all up. I can’t even taste the squash. And it fits in my Atkins diet, I can’t believe it…. just delish!!

47. fer says

Thank you SO MUCH for adding printable versions of your delicious recipes at the end of your entries! I can’t wait to try some of them and this one (spaghetti squash ‘hash-brown’ casserole) will be FIRST!

48. Barb says

I love your recipes so much! I have made this spagetti squash casserole before and its fab, but was wondering if you can make it with cultured coconut (unsweetened) instead of yogurt? Thanks!!!

49. Apple says

I made this tonight and added some mushrooms and kale in with the onions and garlic, plus a scoop of white miso paste and red pepper flakes. Came out SO good!! Thanks for the recipe!

50. Kelly says

How on earth is all that cheese on top just 1oz. I am starring at 4 ounces of shredded cheese And this alone is just enough for the top, I would have to do 4 more for for the dish it self.

• Kelly says

I take it back, I think I envisioned using a bigger pan, it was enough. I just died and went to heaven, omg it’s sooooooo good. The cheese and yogurt together make it seem like I used ricotta even though I didnt. I just ate half the dish, I can’t stop. This is going at the top of my comfort food list. Thank you, thank you, thank you

51. Deborah says

Cheesy-Spaghetti-Squash-Casserole looks and sounds GREAT!!! I’m a very brittle diabetic and have to be strict and count all carbs. Can you tell me how to come up with the carbs according to the recipe? Thanks!

52. Michelle says

Can you prepare the spaghetti squash ahead of time and then mix it up when you’re ready? Also, what sides would you serve with this? I’m new to clean eating.

53. Stephanie Jacobs says

Just want you to know that I LOVE this recipe, I make it all the time! I’m going to be so sad when spaghetti squash goes out of season and I can’t make it until next year. Great job!!!

54. Marianne says

I have made this several times; it is so delicious and always a hit! Our garden is going crazy right now with yellow squash, so I was thinking of substituting them (in “spiralized” form) for the spaghetti squash. I was curious if anybody had tried this already and could offer any feedback on how it turned out?

55. Kate says

Used shredded organic cheddar instead of goat- ended up tasting like a healthier/better version of Cracker Barrel’s hashbrown casserole! Did get some watery-ness at the bottom of the dish- thinking maybe my glassware was too small and would have required more time in the oven to fully cook through? Regardless- it was great!

Trackbacks

1. […] Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole (Cooked spaghetti squash has a great texture and blends seamlessly into this simple hash-brown-like casserole. Combined with sauteed onions, creamy yogurt, and a bit of raw goat cheddar, this delicious dish is classic comfort food, without leaving you uncomfortable later. If you aren’t a fan of goat cheese, sub in your favorite cheese.) Ingredients: Serves 4 •1 medium spaghetti squash •1 tablespoon butter •½ yellow onion, chopped •1 red pimento pepper, de-seeded and chopped •1 garlic clove, minced •1 cup plain goat’s milk yogurt, or greek yogurt •3 oz. raw goat cheddar, shredded and divided •1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste •black pepper, to taste Directions: 1.Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, and remove the seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side-down on the baking sheet, and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the outer shell. 2.Once you have removed the cooked squash from the oven, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute the chopped onion and garlic until tender and slightly golden, adding in the pepper about half way through, totaling about 5 minutes. 3.Transfer the cooked onion, pepper and garlic to a large mixing bowl, and combine with the yogurt and 2 oz. of shredded goat cheddar, and season with salt and pepper. When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the noodle-like strands into the bowl, and mix well. 4.Transfer the mixture to a 2.5-quart casserole dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining ounce of goat cheddar over the top, and return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 400F. 5.The casserole is ready when the top is a light golden brown, which makes for a crunchy crust! Serve immediately. (Recipe from detoxinista.com) […]