Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I was tempted to call this recipe “Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole,” because it tastes ridiculously similar to the creamy hash brown casserole that my mom usually makes for our holiday brunches.

SONY DSC

Only, this version doesn’t call for frozen hash browns. Instead, it features nutrient-rich spaghetti squash!

Cooked spaghetti squash has a surprisingly similar texture to hash browns, and blends seamlessly into this simple casserole, with a lower starch content. Combined with sauteed onions, probiotic-rich yogurt, and a bit of raw goat cheddar, this creamy dish is classic comfort food–> without leaving you feeling uncomfortable later.

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Serves 4-6

Adapted from this recipe

1 medium spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup plain goat’s milk yogurt, or greek yogurt
3 oz. raw goat cheddar, shredded and divided
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
black pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, and remove the seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side-down on the baking sheet, and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the outer shell. (For full directions, see this post.)

Once you have removed the squash from the oven, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute the chopped onion and garlic until tender and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the cooked onion and garlic to a large mixing bowl, and combine with the yogurt and 2 oz. of shredded goat cheddar, then season with salt and pepper. When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the noodle-like strands into the bowl, and mix well.

mixTransfer the mixture to a 2.5-quart casserole dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining ounce of goat cheddar over the top, and return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 400F.

SONY DSCThe casserole is ready when the top is a light golden brown, which makes for a crunchy crust! Serve immediately.

SONY DSC

Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Serves: 4-6

Cooked spaghetti squash has a surprisingly similar texture to hash browns, and blends seamlessly into this simple hash-brown-like casserole. Combined with sauteed onions, creamy yogurt, and a bit of raw goat cheddar, this creamy dish is classic comfort food, without leaving you uncomfortable later.
  • 1 medium spaghetti squash
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ½ yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup plain goat's milk yogurt, or greek yogurt
  • 3 oz. raw goat cheddar, shredded and divided
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
  • black pepper, to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, and remove the seeds. Place the squash halves cut-side-down on the baking sheet, and cook for 35-45 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce the outer shell.
  2. Once you have removed the cooked squash from the oven, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute the chopped onion and garlic until tender and slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
  3. Transfer the cooked onion and garlic to a large mixing bowl, and combine with the yogurt and 2 oz. of shredded goat cheddar, and season with salt and pepper. When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape the noodle-like strands into the bowl, and mix well.
  4. Transfer the mixture to a 2.5-quart casserole dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle the remaining ounce of goat cheddar over the top, and return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 400F.
  5. The casserole is ready when the top is a light golden brown, which makes for a crunchy crust! Serve immediately.

Hope you enjoy it!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of hash brown casseroles? It was one of my favorite dishes growing up, so I’m happily enjoying this properly combined version now!

134 thoughts on “Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole

1. Natallia

Made this today and it came out delicious! Couldn’t find any raw goat cheese anywhere so used the cow’s raw cheddar cheese and it was great!

2. Melissa

I made this and I left out the cheese because I didnt have any. I put smoked paprika on top and it tasted like scalloped potatoes!!! I am making it again right now with the cheddar! Thanks for the recipe

3. Chelsea

This sounds delicious! I have never had spagetti squash before. What might you serve this recipe with?

4. Pingback: The best kitchen tool | Natalie's Noisy Nest

5. Karen

OMG!! I love this recipe, I can gain weight just eating it , I want to to eat it all up. I can’t even taste the squash. And it fits in my Atkins diet, I can’t believe it…. just delish!!

6. Pingback: Meal Planning | Running aWeigh

7. fer

Thank you SO MUCH for adding printable versions of your delicious recipes at the end of your entries! I can’t wait to try some of them and this one (spaghetti squash ‘hash-brown’ casserole) will be FIRST!

8. Barb

I love your recipes so much! I have made this spagetti squash casserole before and its fab, but was wondering if you can make it with cultured coconut (unsweetened) instead of yogurt? Thanks!!!

9. Apple

I made this tonight and added some mushrooms and kale in with the onions and garlic, plus a scoop of white miso paste and red pepper flakes. Came out SO good!! Thanks for the recipe!

10. Pingback: 3 Winter Superfoods You Can Take to Work

11. Kelly

How on earth is all that cheese on top just 1oz. I am starring at 4 ounces of shredded cheese And this alone is just enough for the top, I would have to do 4 more for for the dish it self.

1. Kelly

I take it back, I think I envisioned using a bigger pan, it was enough. I just died and went to heaven, omg it’s sooooooo good. The cheese and yogurt together make it seem like I used ricotta even though I didnt. I just ate half the dish, I can’t stop. This is going at the top of my comfort food list. Thank you, thank you, thank you

12. Deborah

Cheesy-Spaghetti-Squash-Casserole looks and sounds GREAT!!! I’m a very brittle diabetic and have to be strict and count all carbs. Can you tell me how to come up with the carbs according to the recipe? Thanks!

You can use a free nutrition calculator at FitDay.com or MyFitnessPal.com to calculate any numbers you need.

13. Michelle

Can you prepare the spaghetti squash ahead of time and then mix it up when you’re ready? Also, what sides would you serve with this? I’m new to clean eating.

14. Stephanie Jacobs

Just want you to know that I LOVE this recipe, I make it all the time! I’m going to be so sad when spaghetti squash goes out of season and I can’t make it until next year. Great job!!!

15. Pingback: Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole | Cook Like an Artist

16. Pingback: Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Casserole | Cook Like an Artist

17. Pingback: Skinny sunday! | What Would Joanie Do???

18. Marianne

I have made this several times; it is so delicious and always a hit! Our garden is going crazy right now with yellow squash, so I was thinking of substituting them (in “spiralized” form) for the spaghetti squash. I was curious if anybody had tried this already and could offer any feedback on how it turned out?

19. Kate

Used shredded organic cheddar instead of goat- ended up tasting like a healthier/better version of Cracker Barrel’s hashbrown casserole! Did get some watery-ness at the bottom of the dish- thinking maybe my glassware was too small and would have required more time in the oven to fully cook through? Regardless- it was great!

20. Pingback: 21 Spaghetti Squash Recipes to Make You Forget About Pasta

21. denise dowst

I am going to be making this for Thanksgiving and want to know if it would work out to make it ahead of time and freeze it then bake it the day of? Would the consisting be ok or would it be weird? Thanks

1. Tara

this is late but I have frozzen it when I have made it. I halfed the amount b4 baking it. then froze it and baked it a month later. it was just a yumm-o

I haven’t tried a dairy-free yogurt myself, but several reviewers have mentioned using plain dairy-free yogurt with success. I’d look for a brand with no added sugar, to make sure it’s tart like sour cream.

1. sheila

It’s a squash that has strings of the squash inside that resemble spaghetti. So if you are grain free, you can still feel like you aren’t missing out.

22. Alison

In typical fashion I misread and made with goat cheese..not goat cheddar. Obviously was unable to grate which is when I realized my error. It’s almost done cooking. I’m sure it’ll be yummy. Looking forward to trying again with correct cheese

23. Tc

I just made this for the first time last night. I used greek yogurt, regular goat cheese crumbles and I added some Italian deer sausage. OMG IT WAS AMAZING! I can see this becoming a staple for me. I’ll probably make it with some chicken sausage and freeze it for breakfasts. You could change it up so many ways! I’ve tried a lot of your recipes, love them all and this was still probably the best! Thank you!

24. Sveta

What would be considered a medium sized spaghetti squash? Or how many cups of cooked spaghetti squash is needed for this recipe? I have some leftover after making the quiche, just wondering if I have enough to make this too.

1. Sveta

Perfect, I have just enough left. Thank you! By the way, that crustless quiche was awesome, even my youngest daughter ate it!

25. Debstinydogs

I added a bit of brown sugar to mask the tang of the Greek yogurt, which hubby doesn’t care for. He loved it. Also, I put it under the broiler fo a few minutes at the end to get the top extra brown and crunchy. Delish!!