Creamy Coleslaw (Dairy-free)

As the weather gets warmer, I find myself craving lighter, picnic-style meals.

SONY DSCLike this authentic, creamy coleslaw.

Rather than using mayonnaise as a base, this dressing gets its creaminess from raw cashews, which promote heart health. Cashews are a great source of magnesium, which is essential for calcium absorption, known to improve bone health and keep our nervous system running smoothly. Insufficient magnesium in the body can lead to high blood pressure, migraines, muscle soreness and fatigue, so this salad is a delicious way to help boost your intake!

What I love about shredded cabbage salads, is the fact that they are perfect for packed lunches and meals on the go. The cabbage is sturdy enough to remain crunchy, even when marinated in dressing overnight. In fact, this salad is best when marinated for a few hours, to allow the flavors to develop. Feel free to add any toppings you like, such as a handful of raisins and crunchy pecans.

Creamy Coleslaw Dressing (Dairy-free)
makes 1 cup of dressing

Inspired by this recipe

1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup diced red onion
3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
1 to 2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

SONY DSC

Creamy Coleslaw Dressing (Dairy-free)
Serves: 1 cup

A creamy, dairy-free coleslaw, perfect for packed lunches and picnics.
  • ½ cup raw cashews
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ cup diced red onion
  • 3 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons honey
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, starting with just 1 tablespoon of honey, and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Taste the dressing and add another tablespoon of honey to the mix, if desired, for a sweeter, more Southern-tasting coleslaw.
  2. To assemble, toss the dressing over a mixture of shredded cabbage, carrots, and any other shredded vegetables you like (such as raw beets or broccoli stems). Allow to marinate for at least an hour in the fridge before serving.
  3. You may not need all of the dressing for one batch, so leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Are you a fan of coleslaw?

32 thoughts on “Creamy Coleslaw (Dairy-free)

1. Joy

Coleslaw is one of those foods I just recently started to enjoy over the last couple years so I can’t wait to try this healthier version!

2. Kerry

I had some broccoli that I needed to use up so I made the dressing tonight for a broccoli salad. It’s fantastic! Can’t wait to try it with the shredded cabbage. Thanks Megan!!

3. Laurie

Would I be able to substitute almond butter or would it give it too much of a different texture? I don’t have cashews but am doing the whole 30 so I would love to make this soon.

1. nancy

i am allergic to cashews can I sub with macadamia nut? Also when are you going to post the Vanilla Slushy recipe..

4. April Brown

Thank you so much for all your great recipes! My father in law was diagnosed with esophogus cancer and is on a strict diet of mostly raw and is juicing so I always find great recipes to pass on to my mother in law on here! It is hard to go from typical “southern” homecooking to mostly raw so thank you for making the transition a bit more bearable!

5. jeanne

I just made this using tahini instead of cashews over purple cabbage and carrots and it was AMAZING!!!!! I didn’t have honey either and it was still good. Love the inspiration 🙂

6. nancy

I am allergic to cashews can I sub with macadamia nuts.. Also when are you going to give us the measurements for the Vanilla slushy..

7. nancy

8. Laura

This was the best dressing I have ever made. I only used 1/2 the honey as I thought it was sweet enough. Totally yummy!

9. Penny O

It was a little too sweet for my tastes. Next time I’ll use white vinegar and no honey, taste and adjust for sweetness. Great idea though.

10. MG

Looks great! I can’t wait to make it. Thanks for posting this recipe. I love cabbage but so many coleslaw dressings are so unhealthy. I love all your recipes too!

11. Melané

Hi Megan today I got you a new fan: to lighten up the heaviness of our Bolognese with a light side salad I sliced up a small bunch of celery and an apple and grated carrot over that and then used your cashew nut dressing. My husband is now a believer too:-). I have yet to discover any recipe you give that is not only good it’s divine! Thanks again!

12. Lori Johnson

Hello, I just found your site and want to try your recipes. I am allergic to cashews and peanuts and wondered if you can use other nuts instead of the cashews that you use in your non-dairy recipes? Thanks, Lori

13. Jenna

This is great! My family ate it up. I added some shredded apple and yellow beets and a pinch of cayenne. I hate normal mayo- based coleslaw, but I loved this. Thanks for a great dressing and slaw.

14. Nikki

This looks delicious. I’m new to your site and I love the recipes I tried so far! Can I use regular cashews instead of raw ones? I already have them in the house.

15. Lea

To everyone looking for substitution ideas: I replaced the cashews for a quarter cup each of walnuts and Brazil nuts, which I soaked for about twenty minutes to compensate for their crunchier texture. The consistency and flavor alike came out great. I found it a tad sweet for my taste, so I added a couple teaspoons of dijon mustard to balance the flavors. Topped with chia seeds and pecans, this was a delicious lunch! Thanks for another excellent recipe, Megan!

16. Loraine Mazzolini

I was looking for an easy side dish to take to a party and I made this and it turned out really good. A few days later I made it again but I had some cilantro on hand and decided to through in a good handful of fresh cilantro and this turned out so delicious. I add a little more water to keep it the same consistency and even added an ice cube to chill the dressing so I could use it right away! This is my new favorite side dish and my husband suggested using it on a taco (shrimp or tempeh) for a topping.

17. Pingback: » Vegan Coleslaw Dressing

18. Pingback: All-American Vegan Recipes. - The Pretty Bee

19. Pingback: Amerikaanse coleslaw | Wat eet je dan wel?

20. Mithra

I just made this, it tastes amazing! Thank you so much =) the vegan version is much lighter on my tummy. Gonna try this with a vegan burger next!