This Detox Soup recipe is the kind of comforting meal I crave when I need some extra nutrients in my life. It’s so hearty and delicious, I could eat it practically every day!
What Does a Detox Soup Do?
Let’s be clear: You can’t eat something and instantly “detox” your body, but you can take daily actions to naturally support your body’s detox organs, like the liver and kidneys.
This detox soup is a hearty and filling way to squeeze more anti-inflammatory foods into your day, without taking any drastic measures. You don’t have to eat it every day to see results, either, but you can, if you love it!
Here’s what you’ll love about this soup:
- It’s properly combined. Following food combining principles may help to streamline your digestion and reduce bloating, so it can leave you feeling more energized.
- This soup is low in calories. Since this is a broth-based soup, it’s low in calories, but is also loaded with fiber to help keep you feeling full.
- The ingredient list is simple. No need to shop for specialty ingredients! All you need is fresh veggies and herbs, affordable dry lentils, and some spices you probably already have on hand.
This soup recipe is also flexible, so if you don’t have all of the ingredients listed, feel free to swap them for what you do have. Zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, and more, will all be delicious in this soup.
Detox-Friendly Soup Ingredients
Why do I call it a detox soup? I’ve loaded this recipe with detox-friendly ingredients, to give you as much nutrition as possible, while also making it totally delicious.
Here’s what’s inside:
- Garlic. In one 12-week study, a daily garlic supplement was shown to significantly reduce cold symptoms by nearly 70% compared to a placebo group. Other studies suggest that garlic supplementation is also helpful with lowering blood pressure.
- Ginger. Ginger is thought to aid in digestion and reduce bloating, and research suggests that it may also help to lower blood sugar levels.
- Turmeric. Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a powerful antioxidant that is thought to fight inflammation.
- Cilantro. Also known as coriander, this powerful herb may help with removing heavy metals from the body. Research suggests it may also help to improve memory and manage anxiety.
- Lentils. Lentils are rich in polyphenols, which may help to improve blood sugar. Lab tests also suggest that the polyphenols in lentils may help to slow or stop skin cancer growth.
- Lemon. Lemons are a source of vitamin C, providing about 31mg per lemon. (That’s about 51% of the reference daily intake (RDI).) Vitamin C may help to lower the risk of stroke and promote heart health.
Paired with flavorful veggies, including onion, celery, and carrots, this soup makes a delicious meal– one that even my 4-year-old daughter loves! (Although, she does pick out the cilantro pieces.)
How to Make It
The prep work on this detox soup is pretty minimal. Simply chop a few veggies, and you’re ready to start cooking it. I always start with the onions, carrots, and celery so they can start to soften up, then I add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and thyme.
Garlic can burn quickly, so you’ll only need to stir the herbs for about 1 minute, until they smell fragrant. Immediately add in the water after that, so nothing will burn.
Add in the lentils and salt, and then bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a gentle simmer, and cover the pot with a lid.
You’ll want to cook the soup until the lentils are tender, which takes about 30 minutes. (If you add more salt, it can take longer for the lentils to cook, and if you omit the salt all together, they can cook a little faster.)
Once the lentils are tender, season with additional salt, and stir in the cilantro and lemon juice.
The herbs will wilt quickly in the hot soup. Adjust any seasoning to taste, then serve warm.
Ultimate Detox Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 3 celery stalks , chopped
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger , minced (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon freshly chopped rosemary)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup dry green or brown lentils
- 2 teaspoons fine Himalayan salt , divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro , chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (or to taste)
- In a large pot (I use a 6-quart one), heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, carrots, and celery, and stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, and thyme, and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Immediately add in the water after that, so the garlic won't start to burn.
- Add in the lentils, 1 teaspoon of salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Bring the liquid to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cover and let the soup cook until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- When the lentils are tender, add in the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt, along with the cilantro and lemon juice. The cilantro will wilt quickly in the hot soup. Adjust any seasoning to taste, and serve warm.
- Leftover detox soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
Need More Detox Recipes?
If you try this Detox Soup recipe, please leave a comment below and let me know how you like it! And if you make any modifications, I’d love to hear about those, too. We can all benefit from your experience!
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite go-to recipe when you want to feel better fast?