I don’t usually work with spice mixes like this, but I wanted to try my hand at making a Cajun-style pasta, and every recipe I found called for “Cajun seasoning.” Rather than buying a store-bought bottle of specialty seasoning for just one dish, I decided to use the ingredients I already had in my spice rack to come up with this quick and convenient homemade version.
I hope it comes in handy for you, too!
Homemade Cajun Seasoning
Makes about 3 tablespoons
Adapted from All Recipes
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Combine all of the ingredients in a small jar and shake well to mix. Store in an airtight container at room temperature with the rest of your spices.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small jar and shake well to mix. Store in an airtight container at room temperature with the rest of your spices.
- The great thing about making your own spice mix at home is that you can customize the flavors however you like. If you don’t like spicy dishes, reduce the cayenne and omit the red pepper flakes. If you prefer a saltier mix, add more salt. You’re in charge, so feel free to adjust any seasonings as needed!
Reader Feedback: Have you ever made your own seasoning blend? Taco seasoning is next on my list to tackle!