Detox Blonde Macaroons

I’ve got a special recipe to share with you all today.

My nut-free macaroons!

These rich, buttery morsels are an easier-to-digest treat that won’t ruin your health efforts! But be warned: They’re downright addictive.

Detox Blonde Macaroons
yields 22-24, depending on size

2 2/3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut (**see note below for a coconut butter substitution)
2 (additional) cups shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract (*optional, omit this for nut-allergies)
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt

Start with your 2 2/3 cups of shredded unsweetened coconut:

If you pay close attention to this particular packaging–> you’ll see that this bag contains EXACTLY 2 2/3 cups! Hence, where I came up with the measurement. (note: this brand is available at most Whole Foods stores and on Amazon)

Simply dump the whole bag into your high-powered blender or food processor, and blend until you have a creamy coconut butter.

In a Vita-Mix, this takes under a minute on the “low” setting. In a food processor, it may take longer. (I’ve heard it takes up to 10 minutes in a food processor– so be patient!) Be sure to scrape the sides a couple times, so that you have an even consistency.

**Substitution note: For those of you who have asked, blending the 2 2/3 coconut turns into just about one cup of coconut butter. If you can’t make your own coconut butter, you could easily use Artisana’s Coconut Butter instead.

You can see how THICK this butter turns out (it’s also slightly grainy):

Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spatula. The batter should stick together well:

Drop batter by small rounded spoonfuls onto your dehydrator sheets, or if you’re using the “oven method,” drop them onto a pan lined with a silpat, or parchment paper:

Oven method: Preheat your oven to 300F, and bake macaroons for 22-26 minutes, watching closely so that they don’t burn. Macaroons will be crisp on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 25 minutes, so that they firm up. Place the macaroons in the fridge or freezer to “set” further, or serve immediately! (I personally like them best served at room temperature!)

Dehydrator Method: Simply dehydrate your macaroons at 145 degrees for the first hour, then reduce the temperature to 118 degrees, if you’d like to keep them raw, checking on them every 2-3 hours until they are firm and crisp on the outside. (If you’re impatient, crank it up to 155F and they’ll be ready in a couple hours!)

(Feel free to drizzle some melted dark chocolate on top to make these extra-decadent!)

Store macaroons in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. (if they last that long!) For a longer shelf-life, store them in the freezer–> they’ll last a LONG time in there! My husband actually prefers his macaroons frozen!

Enjoy!

Detox Blonde Macaroons
Serves: 2 dozen

These buttery macaroons are naturally sweetened and a guaranteed crowd-pleaser!
  • 2⅔ cups shredded unsweetened coconut (or one cup coconut butter)
  • 2 (additional) cups shredded unsweetened coconut
  • ¾ cup pure maple syrup
  • 1¼ tsp. vanilla extract
  • ½ tsp. pure almond extract
  • ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
  1. Begin by blending the 2⅔ cups of shredded unsweetened coconut in a food processor or blender, until you have a creamy coconut butter. (This takes a couple minutes in a blender, and up to 10 minutes in a food processor.) Be sure to scrape the sides a couple times, so that you have an even consistency. *If using store-bought coconut butter, move on to the next step.
  2. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spatula. The batter should be sticky and uniform.
  3. Drop the batter by small rounded spoonfuls onto your dehydrator sheets. If you're using the "oven method," drop them onto a pan lined with a Silpat, or parchment paper.
  4. Oven method: Preheat your oven to 300F, and bake macaroons for 22-26 minutes, watching closely so that they don't burn. Macaroons will be crisp on the outside, soft and buttery on the inside, and very tender. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for an additional 25 minutes, so that they firm up. Place the macaroons in the fridge or freezer to "set" further, or serve immediately! (I personally like them best served at room temperature.)
  5. Dehydrator Method: Dehydrate your macaroons at 145 degrees for the first hour, then reduce to 118 degrees (if you care to keep them raw) for up to 12 hours, periodically checking for crispness. They are ready when they are firm and crispy on the outside, but still tender on the inside. (If you're impatient, dehydrate at 155F for 2-3 hours.)
  6. Store macaroons in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. For a longer shelf-life, store them in the freezer--> they'll last a LONG time in there!
Notes
Drizzle some melted dark chocolate on top to make these extra-decadent!

Let me know if you give ’em a try!

**Some of you have also asked about using coconut flour instead of coconut butter–> since I haven’t tried this method yet, I’m not quite sure what the measurements would be, but I’d suggest starting with 1 cup of coconut flour, and adding a 1/3 cup coconut oil. (I’ll be sure to update this recipe if I try it myself!)

Hi, I’m Megan. A former fast food junkie turned certified nutritionist consultant, trying to make healthy living as easy as possible. I believe in eating delicious whole foods on a regular basis to help naturally support the body’s detox organsβ€” no juice fasting required. (Unless you want to!) If you make one of my healthy recipes, tag @detoxinista on Instagram or Facebook so I can see!

179 thoughts on “Detox Blonde Macaroons

1. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Holly is the sweetest girl and im so glad she won! she just won a give away of mine, some probiotic herbs…ha! And you’re giving her macs. Great combo πŸ™‚

Wow those look stellar, love the recipe! I dehyd stuff at like 140 for way less time. Girl, i have no patience for that 48 hrs dehyd stuff! my god, after 6 hrs im ready for it to be DONE!

And your email to me re your Bro and helping him…blessings and hugs to you, you are a light and a healing ray of light for him. Ok i sound hokey, ill stop πŸ™‚

You know what Gina over at The Fitnessista and I have in common? We have both read the same book, The Raw Food Detox Diet, and it “clicked” with us. So, YES, of course we have some similar food on our blogs. One of the reasons that I liked Gina’s blog in the first place was that she ate similarly to me.

I’m not going to change what I eat simply because it happens to be similar to Gina. Yes, she has a popular blog, but that doesn’t mean that she’s the only one who can post about green smoothies and macaroons (or that she was even the first one to do it). That would be like telling all bloggers that they can’t eat oatmeal or “overnight oats” because someone else does it on another blog, too! Come on.

Yes, I drink green smoothies (I actually learned about them WAY before discovering Gina’s blog, when I read the book Green for Life, almost 3 years ago), yes, I make a cherry pudding that is inspired by Kristen’s blog (not Gina’s– she gives credit to Kristen for that one as well), and yes, I make macaroons–> there’s a recipe for them in practically EVERY raw food book out there! So good luck finding an aspiring raw foodie who HASN’T made macaroons. And of course mine look like Gina’s! That’s like saying my chocolate chip cookies look like another blogger’s chocolate chip cookies. They’re cookies. That’s how they look.

And, no, I don’t do TurboFire. But many other bloggers do, so are you going to go give them a hard time, too?

Personally, I think the whole point of reading and writing blogs is to SHARE food and fitness ideas. If Gina didn’t want her fellow blog readers and writers to try a certain smoothie or workout, then WHY would she even bother taking the time to post them?! In fact, if I saw more bloggers posting the same food as me, it would bring me much joy knowing that the health and happiness is spreading. Isn’t that the point?!

3. Pingback: Hello spring! You’ve been missed. « The journey to get fit and fit in

4. dana

I can’t wait to try these- I love that coconut flour and shredded coconut are the ingredients- I am wondering if you can give an idea of how much flour you get after grindig the 2 &2/3 cup shredded coconut… I have bags of coconut flour I need to use up and want to use that instead of the grinding process. Thanks!!

5. Lea @ Healthy Coconut

I saw in the recipe that you shredded coconut and process it to get it finer. Can I just use coconut flour? or will that change the recipe too much. I have a bag of coconut flour that I want to use and always look for recipes that I can use it with.

Thanks for sharing this recipe and I’m sorry you received that comment #8. You are doing a great job with your blog. I learned more about eating raw foods by reading your blog.

~ Lea

6. Pingback: Weekend Catch-up « Healthy Hoggin'

7. Sue

Gosh, I just went back to read this post and saw that comment from Katie. The one thing I’d like to add is that Fitnessista refuses to post “her” macaroon recipe – saying she’s “saving it for a possible cookbook.” I applaud people like you and Averie from Love Veggies and Yoga and Angela from Oh She Glows for sharing so much of what you find works. Isn’t that what this is all about? Sharing.

So, thanks, Megan. For being cool and all.

8. Pingback: Hunt for a Healthier Halloween Treat « Healthy Hoggin'

9. Pingback: I’ve got a lot to live up to… « Healthy Hoggin'

10. Pingback: Elvis-Butter Cups « Healthy Hoggin'

11. Pingback: Taking it Easy « Healthy Hoggin'

12. Pingback: Macaroon Monday « Healthy Hoggin'

13. Pingback: As Easy As Possible « Healthy Hoggin'

14. Pingback: I’m Baaa-aack! « Healthy Hoggin'

15. Pingback: Super Bowl Party Snacks « Healthy Hoggin'

16. Pingback: Detox Blonde Macaroons β€” Oh She Glows

17. Pingback: Detox Macaroon LOVE « Healthy Hoggin'

18. Pingback: Coco For Coconut! |

19. Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa

Hello! Just had to swing by and say THANK YOU for sharing this recipe with Angela at Oh She Glows – these are AMAZING! Not sure what you were thinking sharing this recipe…it is soooo good I am sure you could have made millions selling them! πŸ™‚

I seriously cannot stop eating them!

20. Erin W.

Megan, I’m finally making your macaroons! They are “un-baking” in the oven right now. Although I think I’m still full from all the batter I just ate. Ha!

Just also saw the mean comment above – ignore that stuff. Your blog is awesome just the way it is. xoxo

21. Pingback: Coconut-Oat Macaroons « Healthy Food For Living

22. Pingback: Macaroons | Food Doodles

23. Pingback: Chia Oatmeal Energy Bars & Coconut-Oat Macaroons | Prevention RD

24. Pingback: The Athlete’s Plate Challenge: Coconut-Oat Macaroons | The Athlete's Plate

25. Pingback: 100 Recipes for a Healthy Summer - 21stCenturyNetworker

26. Pingback: Detox Friendly, Vegan, Gluten-free, and Sugar Free Macaroons | Food Doodles

27. Pingback: Blonde Macaroons

28. Pingback: 100 Recipes for a Healthy Summer » Skinny Jeans

29. Pingback: Macaroons Make It Better « Healthy Hoggin'

30. Elysse

I made this recipe tonight, and tweeked it a little. I replaced the maple syrup (as I had none) 1/2 cup raw organic honey. I also added 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil. They turned out very good, so delicious. I made them for my son, who has crohn’s disease, and coconut does wonders for him. Yes, he likes them, started picking them off the pan before they came out of the oven. Thank you!

1. Kate

These look great!,, can I put them up in the freezer to set them as I don’t have a dehydrator and my oven s lowest temp is 170′ would that temperature keep them raw or just freezer? Thanks for ur amazing recipes! You are an inspiration!,

The texture will be much different if you only freeze them, but I’m sure they’d stay together like that, if you don’t mind having a different result.

31. Lana

Hi Megan,

Where did you purchase the lovely mini baking cups for the macaroons?

I’ve been looking for them…

Lana

1. Lana

Thanks Megan so much. I’ll peruse at Michael’s and Ikea and see what I can find. If I happen to find cute ones elsewhere, I will definitely post on here for sures πŸ™‚

Happy Holidays πŸ˜€

32. Martha

Awesome! thanks. I am in the middle of Natalia’s 30 day cleanse and these macaroons are going to be a nice addition

1. laura black

I tried to make and the coconut did not turn into butter…. I have a vitamix too. I had to add in some coconut oil and then the maple syrup and vanilla to the vitamix and just blended till rough…. why didn’t the flakes go to butter?

Are you using the tamper with your Vitamix? That helps the coconut flakes stay close to the blades, turning it into butter faster. And you’re using the full amount of coconut? Less coconut won’t work. Also, make sure you’re using the full-fat coconut flakes (because they sell reduced fat flakes, too), and if it doesn’t become butter, just add a touch of coconut oil and keep blending– it should look like butter within just a minute or two in a high-speed blender like the Vitamix. Though, keep in mind that the butter isn’t silky smooth in texture… it still has a slightly grainy texture.

33. Heather

megan! I made these yesterday for a passover dinner and people kept coming up to me over and over! they were the biggest hit! They couldn’t believe it was all healthy ingredients. There’s no egg in this? I followed the recipe exactly doing the coconut butter sub you mention (using Artisana raw org coconut butter) and raw org shredded coconut from Ojio. This time I used maple syrup as you suggest. The first time I made them I used honey and maybe because of the kind I used it was too overwhelming a flavor. The maple syrup was just right! The next time I will try the stevia ones. Everyone wants the recipe so I will be linking away! TX!

I’m glad they were such a hit! The maple syrup is definitely key– these still beat the stevia-sweetened ones, so they’re my go-to crowd pleasing treat. But, of course, the stevia version is great if you want to enjoy them regularly and not worry about the sugar content!

34. joanna

These are so good thank you for the recipe… there were always my favourite cookie but since eating clean i have not had them. now i can and they are better than any store bought ones for sure. My husband and i are also on a cleanse and these are the only treat we can have…. again thanks

35. Pingback: grand marnier macaroons + mini photography crash course - the talking kitchen

36. Martha

OMG!!!!! My kids and I just made these. HEAVENLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have officially renamed them to: “Oh My GOD Macaroons!!!!!!”

Thank you for sharing!

37. Lauren Gettinger

These are soooo addictive!! I’ve made them twice in the past week. My sister-in-law and I agree that they’re better than the original macaroon recipe. You’re a godess!

38. Pingback: Detox Blonde Macaroons Β« Detoxinista « My Law of Attraction Body

Hi Maria! I’ve labeled these macaroons to be detox-friendly because they call for clean, simple ingredients which can be enjoyed in the context of a cleansing lifestyle. Unlike most raw macaroon recipes, mine omit nuts, which also make them easier to digest!

Since the definition of “detox” varies by person to person, it’s obviously up to each individual to decide if these types of naturally-sweetened treats are appropriate for them… but in my experience, most of my clients have seen great results including them in their approach! πŸ™‚

39. Amber

Hello! I tried this recipe and my cookie fell flat… literally. It’s as though there was too much wet because the cookies did not hold shape. Help… what can I improve on?

That happened to me once, too! Since ovens can vary drastically with temperatures, I think it was due to my oven being too hot. These types of cookies need to dry out, rather than bake, so perhaps you could lower your oven temperature and bake a little longer next time. You could also try adding extra shredded coconut, to dry out the batter a bit more!

Hope that helps! πŸ™‚

40. Lisa

This is the first website I have come across, which makes me feel like I can satisfy my sweet tooth without sabotaging my attempts to eat whole foods. These macaroons (and the raw cheese cake as well) are AMAZING!! Thank you!

41. Lorrain

Love, love, love this recipe and your website! They turned out so yummy, I really couldn’t believe it. Have now tried this recipe; the cauliflower crust, and the peanut butter blondies. Because my daughter is vegan I have used a “flax egg” instead where an egg is called for and have been so happy with each recipe and how they have turned out. Thank you so much for all the hard work and tips you put in to each recipe, I am so glad I found this website and so is my family. πŸ™‚

42. Ginny

Made these today with my 4-year old granddaughter…she and I loved them, and when her mother came to pick her up and smelled the aroma in the house, of course, I had to share with her. She said they were delicious and I think she wanted more, but…I saved a few for a birthday celebration next week…I’m going to find little cups and drizzle chocolate to make them more special. It’s all I can do to keep out of them!!

Yes, coconut butter is actually dried coconut meat that has been blended into a smooth puree– it’s much thicker than coconut oil.

43. Pingback: Coconut macaroons | My Kitchen Crowd

44. Tennile

Great Photos!
    Great Recipes!
    Great Inspiration!

I am so happy I stumbled across your site!I can’t wait to see what else you have in store!

45. cathy f

Made this today – and they turned out great – the only problem was the coconut butter got hard (after I poured the cold maple syrup over the mixture and had a phone call). But in the end it all came together (warmed it gently). I made the coconut butter in my vita-mix – it was pretty amazing watching it turn into something else entirely – thank you so much for the recipe! It might be helpful to note that the 2 2/3 cup coconut is the equivalent of 8 oz by weight just in case you don’t buy the brand that you use!

The honey will change the flavor, so they won’t taste the same. However, I’m sure it can be done! I’d try using a little less honey, since I find that it’s sweeter than maple syrup.

46. Michele

Ok, these were a giant mess for me. Granted I forgot the salt but I don’t think a 1/4 teaspoon of salt would have helped the situation. The mixture didn’t stay uniform, maple syrup fell to the bottom of the bowl and even though I tried to continually mix before spooning the batter onto the sheets it didn’t work. When baking they were a giant mess. The oil and syrup just spread everywhere. These looked so good and what did seem to set up was so tasty that I would like to figure out where I went wrong. Do you think it could have been the salt? Should I have mixed more?

Is it possible that you used coconut oil instead of coconut butter? This recipe doesn’t call for any oil, so I’m not sure what oil you are referring to. Coconut butter is simply blended coconut meat, so the result is much thicker, resulting in a uniform batter.

1. Michele

Oops….I clearly can’t read very well πŸ™‚ I guess I will have to try these again with the correct ingredients this time! Thanks for the help.

47. Jane

I love this recipe! I dip and splatter them in chocolate, and they are just incredible. I feel like *I MUST ALWAYS HAVE THEM IN THE HOUSE* devoted to them. Thanks so much for a great site.

48. Jane

Damn, I just made them again!! Ok, I am going to recommend using coconut cream that you get in the Jamaican section of Walmart – Ocho Rios or what ever it’s called. It’s the same thing but much easier and cheaper (than Artisana). Also, as someone that grew up in the Caribbean, coconuts are all organic – in the islands anyway. Nobody puts anything on them as they grow like weeds there anyway.

49. Jane

Actually, no, I do not recommend the coconut cream. It seems as good (better really) when mixing up, but the end result falls apart much easier. I like the solidness of the homemade CC results. Sorry to be taking up so much of your comments!

50. Pingback: gloriously great gluten-free alternatives | Wellness or Whatever

51. Pingback: Easy Breezy Coconut Macaroons (gluten-free, low sugar) « Simply Living Well

52. Melissa

These are so amazing and delicious, we’ve made them so many times!
    I just wanted to suggest, for people wanting to consume Les sugar, you can replace 1/4 cup of the syrup with virgin coconut oil and a bit more vanilla extract (these are exactly like the cocoroons which sell for $8 for a bag of 8)

53. Rosie

My daughter raved about these and as she has never recommended a wrong recipe to me yet, I made them. But even though the mixture looked like yours in the photos they did not hold together in the baking! I do have a fan oven and I wonder if that is the problem? (The taste is fantastic however!)

54. Pingback: Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream w/ Coconut Rounds | rialiveswell