Frozen Banana Truffles

Since the last dessert recipe I posted was a little labor-intensive, how about I share an incredibly easy one today?

Like mini ice cream bites!

Frozen Banana Truffles
makes about 16 pieces, depending on size

inspired by these Banana Bites

2 ripe bananas
3 oz. dark chocolate bar

Optional Peanut Butter Topping:

2 Tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter (or almond butter)
1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
pinch of sea salt
stevia, to taste

Slice the bananas into 1/2″ disks, then arrange them into a single layer on a dish, lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer to chill, while you melt your dark chocolate.

To melt the chocolate, simply break the bar into chunks, transfer to an oven-safe bowl, and place the bowl in an oven heated to 350F for about 10 minutes. Check it after 5 minutes, to avoid burning, and stir well! (And of course, you can use a microwave if you prefer.)

After coating each slice, place them back onto the parchment paper and return the dish to the freezer to let them freeze completely. The chocolate will be set within 30 minutes, but the bananas take a few more hours to get frozen and creamy– like ice cream.

They are delicious either way, but I recommend waiting until they are really ice-cream-like. Preferably, let them freeze overnight!

You can serve them as-is, for a fun little ice-cream treat–> but I highly recommend adding the optional peanut butter (or almond butter!) topping.

Simply mix together the peanut butter, coconut oil, salt, and a few drops of liquid stevia, to taste. Then transfer the mixture to a plastic sandwich bag, and snip off the corner to create a “piping” bag!

You can decorate each truffle however you like… I ended up preferring just a “blob” in the middle of each.

Return to the freezer to freeze until solid, then serve chilled!

Pretty enough to serve at a party, but easy enough to make often–> just the way I like it.

Frozen Banana Truffles
Serves: 16

These bite-sized truffles make a delicious frozen treat, perfect for serving at a party… or anytime! Just make sure you to prepare these ahead of time; they get REALLY frozen and creamy if left to set in the freezer overnight. Like mini ice cream bites!
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 3 oz. dark chocolate bar
  • For Optional Peanut Butter Topping:
  • 2 Tablespoons natural creamy peanut butter (or almond butter)
  • 1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted
  • pinch of sea salt
  • liquid stevia, to taste
  1. Slice the bananas into ½" disks, then arrange them into a single layer on a dish, lined with parchment paper. Place in the freezer to chill, while you melt your dark chocolate.
  2. To melt the chocolate, simply break the bar into chunks, transfer to an oven-safe bowl, and place the bowl in an oven heated to 350F for about 10 minutes. Check it after 5 minutes, to avoid burning, and stir well! (Use a microwave, if you prefer.)
  3. Remove the banana slices from the freezer, then carefully dip each slice into the melted chocolate, coating evenly.
  4. After coating each slice, place them back onto the parchment paper and return the dish to the freezer to let them freeze completely. The chocolate will be set within 30 minutes, but the bananas take a few more hours to get frozen and creamy, like ice cream. Preferably, let them freeze overnight!
  5. For an extra-fun ice cream treat, add the optional peanut butter (or almond butter) topping: Simply mix together the peanut butter, coconut oil, salt, and a few drops of stevia, to taste. Then transfer the mixture to a plastic sandwich bag, and snip off the corner to create a "piping" bag, and decorate as desired.
  6. Return to the freezer to freeze until solid, then serve chilled!

Hope you like them, too!

Comments

1. Robyn says

Yum,,,I made some of these last week(bananas needed to be used up). But I froze banana then added some spiced almond butter, froze again and then dipped into chocolate…seen your recipe and just finished chopping the nanners(into the freezer they go!)Great snack…thank you and have a great day

• says

I recommend using a free website, like FitDay.com, to calculate your nutrition information. Since the type of dark chocolate you use may vary from mine, as well as the amount of additional peanut butter topping, I cannot provide this type of information.

2. says

Soooo good! Made them today and the kids and I love them! We didn’t even put PB on them OR let them freeze very long, they are too delicious!

3. joanna says

Made these yesterday and the kids love them, what a nice frozen treat and so delicious. i love this site!!!!

4. Carrie says

I made these over the weekend, and my family LOVED them! The kids aren’t big dark chocolate fans, but they approved 100%. Love your website, and plan to try so many of your simple and healthy recipes! Also, bought Natalia Rose’s book The Raw Food Detox Diet. I’m learning a ton from you ladies! THANK YOU!!

5. Cheryl says

Made these last night and they were a huge hit! I swear I’ve tried freezing bananas before and remember them turning hard as rocks, but with this they really did come out with a creamy texture, like ice cream! I used Green & Black’s 85% bar (my favorite), and it was delicious. Thank you!

6. Amy says

I really think this is an amazing idea/recipe. Thank you! I like printing your recipes and am wondering if you have a printable version, the kind I can cut down and put in my recipe box such as the others I use from you lovely website.

7. Holly says

Instead of using store-bought dark chocolate for the chocolate coating, I made a small batch of raw chocolate bark sweetened with stevia. Since it’s so hot out right now, and my chocolate was runny, I just double coated the bananas after the first coating had hardened in the freezer.

8. Diane says

I want to bring them to my family’s thanks giving dinner, one hour away by car. Will they keep okay in a ice box in a car? Thanks for the great recipe

• says

I would think they would survive just fine as long as you’re keeping them cold! Will you be able to transfer them to the freezer once you arrive? Just make sure the bananas don’t thaw completely– bananas have a weird texture after they’ve been frozen!

9. CindyLoo says

Fantastic! I was able to get 45 lbs of organic bananas for $5 and looking for something fun and creative? This hit the spot, my husband and teenager LOVED them. I also made the pumpkin bars and used the maple pecan leftovers on top of the chocolate. Great site, thank you for reins pairing my days off in the kitchen!

10. orctravel says

Going to make these with my daughter after school. Quick question… Can I use Coconut butter for the Peanut Butter Topping instead of Coconut Oil?

11. orctravel says

Need some help! I melted the chocolate and by the time I got to 4th slice of banana… the Chocolate was harding up… Not able to dip & coat… WHAT DID I DO WRONG? Please help! Didn’t have any chocolate bar but had 60% chocol chips and same problem… I’m thinking Operator error! PLEASE HELP!

12. Ashi says

Hi Megan,

I have been consciously trying to practice healthy eaiting and recently chanced upon your site. Great work, I am quite excited to try out and experiment the recipes.
    I had the same problem as the last commenter on coating the chilled bananas in the warm choclate. After the first few slices the chocolate thickened up. I warmed it up again however the portion that was exposed to the banana before didnt melt. It was almost as if it absorbed some of the banana while coating it. The chocolate even after reheating did not hold on to the banana when I dipped them it.

I tried twice and both times experienced the same problem. What do you think might be wrong?

Will appreciate your response. Thanks!

13. Patricia Bel - Barko says

Perfect , absolutely gorgeous , wouldn’t be without them , always have them in my freezer. My grandaughter loves them . No bisuits at Nanna’s house anymore , she goes straight to the freezer . Many thanks

14. Zae says

So easy to make. I didn’t have a chocolate bar on hand so I made my own chocolate worked out well. Thanks again :-)

15. Tracy says

What kind of peanut butter do you use? I’ve tried many organic types and still haven’t found a favorite.

• Megan says

I don’t necessarily stick to a particular brand, it usually depends on which store I’m shopping at. I used to love Trader Joe’s organic natural peanut butter, but they seem to have stopped carrying it, so I usually end up buying the organic brand from Whole Foods with the green lid (can’t remember the brand name!)

16. Jim says

Made these today for my kids with almond butter on top. They didn’t see me make them, so when I pulled them out of the freezer the kids oohed and awwed at the sight of them. I didn’t tell them what was inside and after they finished one, they said it was banana ice cream in the middle! Very great recipe – super simple! Thanks!

17. Susie says

Hi Ms. Megan,

Thanks for all your recipes that is esay and healthy, I did this banana now, it’s so simple, yet I cannot make it right. The melted chocolate doesn’t stick to the frozen banana? I freeze banana. I melted one dark choco bar in double broiler. It comes out sticky and not watery so you cannot even dip the banana into it, I just put the choco on top of banana but was not coated at all. Wonder what did I do wrong? thanks in advance for your help.

18. Ounse says

WOW!!!!!
    But why can dark chocolate combine with all foods?? Poor digestion and bloating wont occur when fruits are mixed with other foods??

19. Jess says

I am trying to eat more vegan food and slowly transition from a vegetarian to a vegan diet. This recipe was absolutely stunning. It was easy to make, and tastes so delicious. I almost want to eat the whole tray of truffles in one sitting! Thank you so much for your recipes!

20. Meg says

YUMMMM! I ate them all though ;( I made them then put a dollop of almond butter and a sprinkle of sea salt. Thanks again for a great recipe! I’ve made solo many things from your site! All amazing

21. lizzie g. says

Can you make these with bananas that are already frozen? I have several frozen bananas and I don’t know what to do with them. I love all your recipes! I made the pumpkin bars and they were a hit. Thanks for all your great recipes!

22. Lea Holz says

These were outstanding. I ended up with leftover peanut butter topping, so I used it to frost the extra bananas I also had and then put raisins on top. It turned out great! Thanks for another great recipe.

23. Abby says

I made this but instead of melted dark chocolate, I used a mixture of 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and cocoa powder + 1 teaspoon of honey, it was REALLY GOOD!!!!!!! Today i was in that mood where i could literally eat everything in my kitchen, i kept eating a bunch of food but that feeling would never go away. BUT, when i had this i only need like 4 and i was satisfied! So, i guess that was a waste of eating that unhealthy candy bar when i could have just had this… well now i know!

24. J says

yum! great little snack…I dipped some in dark chocolate but then ran out and melted some chocolate chips to dip the rest….both worked great!
    Megan, can you tell I had a weekend of making your recipes? Best weekend ever!

25. Andrea says

I made a small batch just to try. I let my husband taste them and he went crazy. He commented that all the flavors are so well balanced. This will hit the spot and will be able to satisfy the sweet tooth we get so often. I plan to make a large batch this weekend to keep in the freezer at all times!

26. Jesse says

Hey, I was wondering if you ever make any of your delicious chocolatey treats without a dark chocolate bar, or pre-made chocolate. I was hoping for a good recipe for making these types of treats with my ingredients, cocoa powder of cacao….coconut butter, etc. Do you ever do that?

27. Shlomit Grantz says

I’m a grandma that’s been making chocolate covered frozen bananas since I was raising my kids on Maui..I use Popsicle crafts sticks to poke the bananas before you first freeze them, then when they are firm enough dip in the chocolate, which you can add essence of mint for a different twist. Also, I melt the chocolate in a double boiler, this way while I’m dipping the frozen banana into the chocolate, it’s not getting hard, because the water under the pot keeps the chocolate soft until you take it off of the stove. One grandson, has diabetes and I just give him a frozen banana without anything on it for a quick cold after school treat if his blood sugar is too low. Using the popsicle sticks makes it easier to handle and I make alot at a time and then transfer to zip lock bags in the freezer to make room for more.

28. Angie says

This is an awesome snack/dessert! Great way to use up bananas which are on the verge of becoming overripe!
    As to the problem of the chocolate becoming hard halfway through dipping, I think it’s because while the frozen slices are waiting to be dipped, condensation will occur and any water will cause the chocolate to ‘seize’ and become lumpy. The trick is to remove just a few slices of frozen bananas from the freezer to dip, instead of letting the entire tray sit at room temperature.

29. Tawny says

These chocolate covered bananas were a HUGE hit!! My husband and 2 of my 3 kids are very picky eaters and they absolutely LOVED this sweet treat. I didn’t have time to make the peanut butter topping, but they turned out great without it. I myself don’t particularly care for dark chocolate, but after trying these, I’m hooked!! SO easy to make and SO outrageously delicious!! :)

30. Jesse says

Please help! I just couldn’t get this to work for me. I cut the bananas but them in the freezer for about 10 minutes while I was melting the chocolate. When I tried to cover the banana in the chocolate sauce, the bananas stuck to the chocolate sauce, falling apart. My first batch of chocolate seized, the next batch turned into a banana chocolate sauce. I ended up just pouring it over the banana pieces.

I’m sure this will be a delicious mess, but it’s definitely a mess. Should I let the bananas freeze all the way before dipping them, or not let them freeze at all?

Trackbacks