Surprisingly, I’ve never been a huge fan of avocados.
Yes, avocados are incredibly healthy. They provide essential nutrients, including fiber, folic acid, potassium, vitamin E and B-vitamins. Not to mention their abundance of heart-healthy fats, which may help lower cholesterol and aid in the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals in our bodies.
The only problem is that their taste and texture have always been a little off-putting to me. (I didn’t even grow to like guacamole until I was well into college!)
Free of nuts, dairy and oils, this pesto sauce can be enjoyed quite liberally over your favorite noodles and veggies. A ripe avocado lends its smooth and creamy texture to this rich sauce, completed with fresh basil, garlic and lemon juice.
The result is a light, but decadent-tasting dish–> one that is ready in less than 10 minutes!
Avocado Pesto Sauce (Nut-Free, Vegan)
1 ripe avocado
1/2 cup fresh basil, tightly packed
1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
To get started, add the fresh basil, lemon juice and garlic into a mini food processor, and process until the basil is broken down a bit.
Add the flesh of the ripe avocado, and the 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and process again until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides, as necessary.
Serve over your favorite pasta and/or veggies, and enjoy!
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup fresh basil, tightly packed
- 1½ Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- To get started, add the fresh basil, lemon juice and garlic into a mini food processor, and process until the basil is broken down a bit.
- Add the flesh of the ripe avocado, and the ¼ teaspoon of salt, and process again until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides, as necessary.
- Taste the pesto, and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Serve over your favorite pasta and veggies, and enjoy!
I recently enjoyed my pesto sauce over some kelp noodles.
For those of you new to kelp noodles, the texture is a little unusual– they are crunchy, rather than soft and squishy like traditional noodles– but, if you’re not expecting the traditional texture of pasta, they’re a great noodle alternative!
Since they are rather bland and flavorless, kelp noodles will absorb the flavor of any sauce you top them with. The perfect pairing for this bright and flavorful pesto sauce!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
Reader Feedback: Are you an avocado fan? Have you ever tried kelp noodles?