Easy Coconut Macaroons

Did you know that you can make macaroons using only TWO ingredients?

Well, three ingredients, if you want to get technical.

I hate those recipes that advertise using “only two ingredients,” when one of those ingredients is a box of cake mix. I’m pretty sure one box of cake mix has more ingredients than I’d care to count.

The original recipe for these macaroons simply calls for shredded coconut and a can of sweetened condensed milk. Easy, right? However, since I’d rather not use traditional sweetened condensed milk, which also has a few more ingredients than I’d care to count, I figured it wouldn’t be too difficult to make my own. Which is exactly what I did, using a can of organic coconut milk and honey.

*Get my recipe for Homemade Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk here.

The resulting macaroons are light and fluffy–> and taste downright decadent when dipped in melted dark chocolate.

Easy Coconut Macaroons
makes 32 pieces

Adapted from this recipe

3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

*optional: 3 oz. dark chocolate, for dipping

Preheat oven to 300F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix until well combined. This is a good time to taste-test your batter, and adjust the sweetness to your taste.

Once cooled, you can dip the macaroons in melted dark chocolate, if you like.

Easy Coconut Macaroons
Cook time:
Serves: 32

Light and fluffy macaroons, naturally sweetened with honey.
  • 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1½ cups homemade sweetened condensed coconut milk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of sea salt
  • *optional: 3 oz. dark chocolate
  1. Preheat oven to 300F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat.
  2. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix until well combined.
  3. Drop the batter by rounded tablespoons onto the lined baking sheet, and bake for 20 minutes at 300F, or until the cookies are lightly golden.
  4. Use a spatula to gently remove the macaroons from the baking sheet, and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
  5. Once cooled, you can dip the macaroons in melted dark chocolate, if you like. Simply place the dipped macaroons on a dish lined with parchment paper, and allow the melted chocolate to set in the fridge until firm.

These macaroons should last for a few days when stored at room temperature, or indefinitely when stored in the freezer.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: Have you ever tried making macaroons using sweetened condensed milk before? Or any other “two-ingredient” type recipes? I can’t believe I’d never heard of these before last week!

Comments

1. says

OMG! I have to use up my unsweetened shredded coconut, and it’s nice to have such a simple recipe!
    Thank you for posting.. they look delicious! I might try making a peanut butter shell for them! >:)

2. Cindy says

Thank you for this recipe. It looks so good. I will be trying it tomorrow. I also really appreciate all of your posts. You have a great website!

3. says

I actually used to make these every Passover, with the cow’s milk version. But then the family started eating meat at that holiday, and it wasn’t kosher. So, now I can make your version and everyone will be happy! I’ll still have to bring my own tempeh or something though…:)

4. Desiree says

I made these yesterday evening, first the coconut condensed milk then the actual recipe.

They are delicious, and the condensed milk adds an element of creaminess you don’t get with an egg white version.

Thanks for creating it!

5. Jamie says

These are seriously delicious! I halved the recipe because I didn’t have enough coconut, so it only made about 10. They aren’t going to make it till tomorrow. And, the condensed milk is excellent in coffee! Thanks!

6. Jamie says

These are excellent! So simple and delicious! Just make sure the condensed milk is chilled or you get coconut “brittle”. ;)

7. rosie says

First time i tried this coconut macaroon was easter sunday and it was good my husband and my daugther they love it and i will try to make this recipe.

8. Maureen says

My mum made these back in the 1950s – late 1950s as we had food rationing until 1954 to help feed the poor folks on the continent.

She packed the mix in an egg cup and baked them until they were just crispy and they were so wonderful.

9. Marrianna says

Thank you Megan for this wonderful, yummy Macaroons. My kids loved them so much. My question is; how can i make them more crispier. BTW, i love each and every recipe of yours. I really appreciate it so much.

P.S. Please create more for us. Keep up The Yummy taste.

10. Lorraine says

I was looking for a healthy macaroon recipe, but this one is not healthy. From the sugar in the condensed milk, & also that you have used a product from a CAN, which is lined with BHT, a toxin., I hope people are not feeding these to their kids. Watch out for hidden toxins!

11. Justin says

I’m not quite sure if I did something wrong, but these came out impossible to pick up, let alone dip in chocolate. Perhaps not enough condensed milk. I’ve never made macaroons before, so I’ll have to try again with more liquid. And I should’ve added more sugar. Trial and error I spose. Thanks for the recipe!

• TinaK says

I just made these twice—the first time I used “regular” Baker’s Angel Flake Sweetened coconut and just got blobs. The second time I used the called-for coconut. The unsweetened shredded coconut seems to be the key because it absorbs the coconut milk and holds everything together. The first batch was a mess but too tasty to toss. I pushed the cooling coconut blobs back into little mounds, dropped them into a muffin cups with a little melted chocolate on the bottom, and a little drizzled on the top. More like a bonbon than a macaroon. Co-workers are demanding that I made either/both versions again. Soon. :-)

12. Ajax says

I was SOOO excited to try these but they didn’t work at all! Completely crumbled after cooling. I just put them back in bowl and gonna add some egg whites and flour, like my usual recipe. Not sure how they are supposed to bind without one of those things, or both. I see by the comments I’m not the only one, do you have any suggestions/tips/advice? I like what I’ve seen of your blog so far. Please help!

13. SUPSTAR says

Hi Megan,

This recipe looks amazing but I can’t seem to figure out what “cups” means. If you or anyone else could clarify this that would be great!!!

Trackbacks