Raw Apple Cider Vinaigrette

We all know that the key to a tasty salad is a delicious salad dressing.

SONY DSC

I usually prepare my salad dressings in my trusty blender, but since that’s been out of commission for the past couple of weeks, I’ve had to get a little more creative. This recipe requires no fancy equipment–> just a glass mason jar, or other sealed container, for shaking!

Raw apple cider vinegar has been associated with a variety of health benefits, including the possibility of lowering glucose levels and relieving gas, bloating and heartburn. While most vinegars are acidic in the body, raw apple cider vinegar is actually thought to have an alkalizing effect– similar to lemons or limes, which also taste acidic but leave an alkaline ash in the body.

When shopping for apple cider vinegar, make sure you select a variety that is labeled as “With the Mother” and has a bit of sediment floating around the bottom of the bottle. (I like Bragg’s brand.) This odd-looking sediment is actually raw enzymes and gut-friendly bacteria that are thought to promote healing.

Paired with raw honey and fresh garlic, this dressing is sure to liven up any salad and might even have your family craving their veggies!

Raw Apple Cider Vinaigrette
makes about 1 cup

Adapted from this recipe

1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons raw honey, as needed for sweetness
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

Raw Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Serves: 6-8

A healthy vinaigrette featuring raw apple cider vinegar.
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • ¼ cup raw apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juic
  • 1-2 tablespoons raw honey, as needed for sweetness
  • ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in glass mason jar, then seal the lid and shake until the honey dissolves and the ingredients are well combined. Adjust flavor to taste, if necessary. For best flavor, allow the dressing to marinate for at least 30 minutes before serving over your favorite greens.
  2. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week, and shake well before serving each time.

I can’t seem to get enough of this dressing over my salads this week, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite type of salad dressing?

Comments

1. Michaela says

I like almond butter dressing easy with tamari lemon garlic stevia.or any kind with lemon acv or coconut vinegar and stevia
    Oh do you use stevia in pregnancy?
    Thanks for answer

• Megan says

I stopped using stevia when we started trying to conceive, so I’m not using it while pregnant or nursing, either. I don’t know of any studies that say it’s necessarily a bad thing to use during pregnancy, it’s just my own personal preference.

2. Fit n Fifty says

The simpler the better….lemon and mustard or white balsamic with Olive Oil, garlic and oregano.

3. Katie says

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve been enjoying apple cider vinegar lately. I’ve been drinking 2 T in 8oz of water twice a day. I was just wondering if Megan or anyone else does this or would have any advice. Thanks so much!

• Megan says

I don’t do that regularly while pregnant, but I have taken a teaspoon in water twice a day in the past, and did feel that it helped with blood sugar issues. I definitely prefer it in dressing-form, though!

4. says

Perfect timing! I just went to a restaurant and had a salad with lemon vinaigrette dressing that was amazing. This looks very similar, i’ll give it a try, thanks!

5. Maura says

This sounds so amazing! thank you for sharing. I just bought my first bottle of racv last week. Excited to make this!

6. says

I’ve found that not only do I have to avoid sugar for a chronic health problem, but honey & maple syrup seem to act as culprits as well. :( so now I’m left to using dates or date sugar. I would try this dressing with a stevia sweetener, but I bet you need something with a bit more substance to thicken & help the liquids blend. So I think I’ll try this with date sugar & see what happens… :) thanks again for the awesome & tasty recipes, Megan!

• Addy says

Try Agave nectar. It’s similar to honey in sweetness and thickness, but doesn’t act the same way with your blood sugar. Coconut sugar is also a great alternative for brown sugar.

• Barbs says

Agave nectar is really bad for you and severely processed. Extremely high fructose levels. Something like 85%!! Steer clear.

• Paul G says

Camille, I will say that I have made a balsamic Vinaigrette with virtually the SAME recipe (substituting Balsamic vinegar for ACV) and I too used Stevia. You don’t need the sugar or honey for thickening. The Oil is pretty much all you need. This is not a “Thick” dressing. A good shake to mix things up before you pour it on your salad and the oil will help it to “Cling” to your salad.

I actually found this recipe because Balsamic Vinegar is actually higher in carbs than ACV and I am trying to limit my carbs. I actually love both though.

7. says

This looks like a great dressing! I’ve been wanting to try apple cider vinegar again, but last time I tried it I had a weird reaction to it. It was the same thing I got from drinking kombucha. No clue would caused it, which makes me afraid to try the raw vinegar again. Even though it’s super healthy. It was random haha.

8. says

Ooh, I love Apple Cider Vinegar and I’ve made dressings with it before but I’ve never made this Dijon vinaigrette combo. It sounds great – I can’t wait to try it!

P.S. What happened to the Vitamix? I love mine and it seems indestructible! :)

• Megan says

The screws on the bottom of my pitcher wore out and started smoking when I used my blender! I guess that’s what I get for using it so often for the last 3 years… but luckily it’s still under warranty, so I’m just waiting for my brand-new pitcher to arrive in the mail!

9. Nancy A. says

I was wanting to find a good dressing and here it is!! I just love your site, always find new things to try and new ideas. I am tired of bottled dressings at the store and all the junk they seem to have in them, so am going to give this a try today. Thank you for all the great recipes!!!!!

10. Leslie says

I have blood sugar issues as well and I react to honey, maple, white, date sugars also. I have found I don’t react at all to palm or coconut sugar and it apparently is low on glycemic index so Camille, you might try that. Regular stores won’t have it but health food stores will or Whole Foods, and where I live in the southwest U.S., Vitamin Cottage or Sprouts carries it.
    Can’t wait to try this simple dressing. I like to have them made up in small containers to take to restaurants so I can enjoy the salad that most likely will have salad dressings I can’t have!

11. Jenn says

Nice how, when we are forced to “make do”
    Without certain electrical conveniences we can see how unnecessary they are for certain things(salad dressing, in this instance). Small thing, I know, but how can we ask corporations to make more environmentally-friendly decisions if we are not willing to do the same?

12. Rhonda Devine says

One of my favorite dressings that is super easy to make:
    equal parts of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and real maple syrup–goes great over a salad that has apple in it.

13. Denise says

This is a delicious dressing! My 2 year old daughter even approves! Apparently she loves mama’s kale, spinach, avocado, beet, cucumber and goat cheese salad. The whole time I ate my salad she was jumping up and down and asking for bites.
    Thank you!

• Debbie says

Denise, That salad sounds heavenly. Would you mind posting the recipe or at least a link? . We get plenty of kale, spinach and beets in our garden and that salad combo sounds fantastic. Thanks!

14. Bianca says

Hi all,
    I have the same recipe for salad dressing (the Dijon is wonderful
    in it) most delicious !

Also, I most always make my own dressing to take to restaurants.
    OR I bring EVOO in a small bottle, a fresh lemon, and small
    vials of sea salt. All fit into my purse and I love doing this!

Good blog Megan… :)

• Katie says

I tried making it without the honey too and it had a very strong bitter taste to it. Maybe its because of the apple cider vinegar I used? Did you add anything to yours to help combat the bitterness or do you have any suggestions?

15. Teesha says

Any substitutions for the lemon juice? I am allergic but would lvoe to try this!!! Thank you megan for providing us with healthy and delish recipes!

• Megan says

I’d just leave out the lemon juice, and maybe add a touch more vinegar or simply use less honey for a balanced flavor.

16. Bill says

Italian dressing made with raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother) and unfiltered cold pressed (imported from Italy made from organic Italian olives) olive oil, a little water, freshly chopped garlic, minced dried onion, fresh ginger root grated, one bay leaf, Italian seasoning. Shake well, the unfiltered olive oil and raw vinegar (particularly with the mother) will stay blended longer than cooked (dead) cider vinegar and processed oils, so will be blended evenly when pouring, this stuff lasts for a very long time in the cupboard (in glass, i use red-wine vinegar bottles, dump the red-wine vinegar out and wash the bottle). Very healthy salad dressing, good for weight control and many many health issues.

17. Bill says

Camille,

Are you able to have uncooked unheated local raw honey? there is a big difference in the sugar. Even avoid honey from containers with electric heaters on them (warming for pouring) as the electromagnetic field around the heating element affects the sugar adversely. Just pure unadulterated honey poured straight from the comb. Beware that many apiaries also “sugar the hives” and depending on the type of sugar, might contribute to the bad health effects you’ve experienced. Find a trustworthy bee-keeper and try just a little, then slowly increase the intake if no problems.

18. Priscilla says

Thanks so much for the perfect apple cider vinaigrette! I was looking for something simple to throw together – not too sweet, not too tart – and this perfectly hit the spot! With ingredients I already had on hand, even! This was wonderful over greens with a T of gorgonzola, walnut pieces, and some diced green apple!

19. Leah says

This recipe is amazing! And, with the help of my trusty food processor, so incredibly simple. I just love your blog Megan! Thank you for doing what you do.

20. says

I was searching an apple cider dressing for my sprouted bean salad so I can incorporate more whole foods into my diet and came across this recipe. I have to say this is was sooo yummy. Definitely will be making it often! Thank you for sharing!

21. Ashley says

Love love love this dressing! The flavor is unbelievable! When I make it, I like to add a little fresh minced ginger! Sooo good, thank you for sharing this!

22. says

I did a search tonight for a raw apple cider dressing, you popped up first! We loved it, I’ll be using it in a ‘first time neighborhood block party’, in OCNJ this weekend. I’ll be the talk of the town :) Thanks!

23. Susan says

Made it tonight for the first time – it was absolutely delicious. Used it on a salad of butter lettuce, chopped green apple, toasted pecans and a little crumbled blue cheese. I will definitely make this again and again!

24. M. Gilkerson says

I’m currently on a raw food cleanse and was looking for a really healthy and yummy vinaigrette recipe to put over my greens. I absolute love this !!
    I cannot wait to share this with my family. Well done !!!

25. Rebecca says

I made this to have on hand for Christmas. It’s a versatile dressing that I may just try as a chicken marinade when the weather warms up.

26. says

I made this without the Dijon mustard. I used dried ground mustard. It was good but took some getting used to at first (since I have been used to commercial dressings). I am upset that I cannot pin it easily to my board on Pinterest. Thanks

27. Katie says

(Moderator please delete my previous comment, my phone spazzed and I have it four stars instead of five)

This is my favorite dressing, I make it all the time! Just made it for a grilled shrimp salad! Thank you!!

28. says

I subbed coarse ground mustard and splenda because that is what I had on hand. I love the tanginess of it! I purchase the braggs to use as toner for my face and I’ve been looking at ways to use it other than drinking it – so thank you for sharing this!

Trackbacks