Creamy Thai “Peanut” Dressing (Dairy-free, Nut-free)

One of the keys to enjoying salads frequently is to have some delicious dressing options available.

thai-salad

And this creamy dressing is one of my new favorites.

It reminds me a peanut dressing that would be served over a crunchy Thai salad, but instead of using peanut butter, this dressing gets its creamy texture from sunflower seed butter, making it appropriate for those with nut allergies. Paired with tamari, a gluten-free soy sauce, ginger, and honey, the resulting dressing is so flavorful, I’m tempted to drink it on its own.

But, I’d suggest pouring it over a crunchy salad instead.

Creamy Thai “Peanut” Dressing (Dairy-free, Nut-free)
Serves 4

Adapted from Once Upon a Chef

1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon tamari, soy sauce, or coconut aminos
3 tablespoons honey (use maple syrup for vegan version)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup water, or more for a thinner consistency

Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until completely smooth. Add more water, if a thinner consistency is desired, then serve over your favorite salad ingredients, including sliced red pepper, shredded cabbage or romaine, fresh cilantro, and some sunflower seeds for crunch.

healthy-peanut-dressing

5 from 17 votes
Creamy Thai "Peanut" Dressing (Dairy-free, Nut-free)
A creamy and flavorful dressing reminiscent of a Thai-style peanut dressing.
Servings: 4
Author: Detoxinista.com
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
  • 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon tamari , soy sauce, or coconut aminos
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 garlic cloves , minced
  • 1- inch knob of fresh ginger , peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup water , or more for a thinner consistency
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender, and blend until completely smooth. Serve over your favorite salad ingredients, including sliced red pepper, shredded cabbage or romaine, fresh cilantro, and some sunflower seeds for crunch.
  2. Store any leftover dressing in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.

*Note: Feel free to use maple syrup or coconut nectar, instead of the honey, for a vegan dressing.

Enjoy!

Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite salad dressing lately?

49 thoughts on “Creamy Thai “Peanut” Dressing (Dairy-free, Nut-free)

1. Tom @ Raise Your Garden

You just made me a happy man this morning. I use to love going to this Thai restaurant before I married my wife. Laura’s not a big Tai fan so it doesn’t happen anymore. The dish I always ordered had this wonderful peanut sauce poured over the chicken and the rice. I can use this sauce over almost anything. Thanks Megan!

1. Lesley Mizer

You can try it without, and see how you like it, or if you are just trying to avoid honey, maple syrup would be a good substitute. Instead of 3T, you might start with just a half of a tablespoon and add more to taste. I make a similar dressing, and that is what I use.

2. Jennifer

I think I’ll try omitting the water and make it a dip for my little ladies! They’ll eat a salad but it’s more fun deconstructed!

3. Sabine

Oh yum! I make a Thai peanut salad dressing often and have been trying to incorporate more oleic sunflower oil to improve my complete lipid profile. I’m definitely going to make this dressing for my weekend salads. Thanks for the recipe!

Currently my favourite go-to-whip-it-up now dressing includes oleic sunflower oil, lemon juice, raspberry vinegar, nutritional yeast, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, and garlic. I’ve made this dressing so often I could do it with my eyes closed, I don’t even measure anything anymore.

1. Sarah

Hi Sabine! Can you give me the recipe for your dressing you mentioned? That looks really good too.

I used to work with a friend named Sabine in NPB, CA! Fond of the name!

Thanks!

4. Brianna

This looks delicious! I can’t wait to try this. All I have is almond butter so I’ll use that instead. But that’s okay, no one in my family has a nut allergy!

5. Jennifer Rockwood

I just made this and used peanut butter in place of sunflower and it is amazing!! Really good on just about anything!!

6. Lena

Sounds yummy! Can I substitute something else like almond butter or tahini for the sunflower seed butter? I have no idea where to find that and won’t use it for anything else.

7. Lena

I made this today and it’s one of the best peanut dressings I’ve ever had. Thank you! I used natural peanut butter.

8. Tara

This was delicious. I see more salads in my future with this on top. This absolutely blows away any store bought dressing I’ve had. Thanks for sharing!

9. Tina

This is one of those recipes that makes you so happy to be eating well. So super delicious!!! I love your recipes and this one might be at the top right now. You rock!!! You make eating well so much fun!!!

10. janice

Replaced the oil with water for an oil free dressing and used peanut butter because I didn’t have sunflower butter on hand…and wow! This is so addicting! Its my new go to dressing. Thanks Megan!

11. Meigen

This recipe nails the flavor that the title claims. Very good, also used raw sunflower seeds instead of butter.

12. Pingback: How to Convince your Spouse to Eat Healthier - Healthy Eaton | Healthy Eaton

13. Anne

I just made this salad dressing and now all I want to eat all week long is this salad dressing! It is so delicious! You never fail us! Thank you!

14. Jennifer

I made this as a dipping sauce for grilled chicken. I did not put the water in it because I wanted it to be thicker. It was so good. It tastes almost identical to my favorite sauce for the summer rolls at Big Bowl.

15. Pingback: Creamy Thai “Peanut” Dressing (Dairy-free, Nut-free) | Holistic Hearth

16. Francesca

Can I ask why you only suggest storing for three days? I don’t see any ingredients that would spoil in the fridge…actually they all are pretty long lasting.

I always try to be conservative with storage times, as I don’t want anyone to get sick from keeping fresh food for too long. The only reason why this dressing might spoil quickly is because you add water to the mix– and added moisture encourages bacteria growth. So, I would definitely aim to use it up within a week!

17. Megan

Hey Megan! Thank you, thank you! This definitely hit the spot and was oh so delicious! I’ve been in such a Thai food frenzy lately so when I saw this recipe I knew I had to give it a try. I swapped out the sun butter for almond, that’s all I had, and it was superb!! I think I’ll have to double the recipe next time.. 🙂

18. Kirsten

I made this without honey and salt. I used coconut aminos (adds sweetness) and followed the recipe exactly and this is a fantastic dressing. 5 out of 5 stars!!!!!!! Thanks bunches ♥ ♥ ♥

19. Deb

I just made this and it’s Amazing! thank you so much your recipes are always my go to’s 🙂

For those with soy allergies I omitted the soy sauce and it was just as good 🙂

20. Sandy

This is so good. The only change I made was I used almond butter. I did not have a seed butter in the house. I will try it with peanut butter next time and I am sure it will be good with whatever I use. I ate it with a salad and had it the next day as a dip with peppers. No one in the house got to try it because I ate it all by myself! So tasty! I will be making this again for sure!

21. Dana

This dressing was a huge hit at my companies art show. The bowl was scraped clean!
    Loved it and will make it again this weekend.
    An important note: If you have nut allergies, be sure to check the labels of the Sunflower Seed Butter! Some may contain trace amounts of nuts as some processing plants make other nut butters as well. They clean the processing machinery well, but have to label their products “may contain nuts”.